Perfection Their Drug

Alone on the roof tops once again. Only her father's journal as company. The roof was the last place she had to herself now she was in the House of Imperfection. It was also the only place where you could see over the wall.

Twenty six years ago, because of some threat that goes unnamed, all towns, cities and villages were walled off from the outside world. The men who walled off the homes of all were put in charge. People from inside the walls started to become Perfect by the leaders standards. Sexism and racism became far more present - not to mention all other kinds of discrimination.

"I'll find you soon dad, I promise," she whispered to the journal that laid open on her lap. It was on a page about her father and who he was. It mentioned the work he was doing about the unknown threat that caused the walls to go up.

Her trail of thought was broken as the head of her only friend appeared out of their bedroom window. He had the same goofy grin he always did. "Fran, come on. There's another visit."

"Another one? Teacher was here a few hours ago," the teenager, Fran, stated while closing her book.

"Not from Teacher. Harriet Eston and Amber Washington are visiting," he squealed like a love stuck girl.

Fran chuckled. "Still have a crush on Harriet? Thought you out grew all of that after she basically told you to fuck off because your an Imperfect last year."

"I can still dream," he laughed before vanishing from view. The Imperfect rolled her eyes before going back into their room. She threw the journal onto her bed.

He grabbed her hand, dragging the female down. By the time the pair had made it downstairs the rest of the Imperfects had already gathered. A stair creaked as the pair made their way down which got everyone's attention. Dozens of eyes bore onto them, including those of Father (the man who run the house of Imperfection), Harriet and Amber.

"Sorry we're late Father," the boy mumbled as he and Fran join the gathered crowd. A few Imperfects whispered to each other over the late arrival. But that wasn't what the boy was focusing on; his gaze was fixed on Harriet who had a more than usual cold glare.

"Silent you lot," Father said as the whispers grew louder. They did as ordered.

"Here, Amber, are the Imperfects you've been begging to see," Harriet said to the far shorter teenager who stood by her side. Harriet made her want to see the Imperfects seem like a child wanting to see animals in a zoo, which is how Harriet felt about this.

Amber took a long look over the crowd of the Imperfects. She saw a few Imperfects that looked it, those with deformities and missing limbs, but the others looked like the majority of the towns folk. "They all look like Perfects to me."

The muttering started again this time mixed with giggles. Most of comments were too quiet for anyone to really hear. But that was only most of them.

"Are you sure this isn't a drop off?" Fran asked her friend. He was about to respond when all fell silent. All could feel eyes burning into them but more so the boy and Fran.

"Who said that?" Harriet practically hissed. The crowd spilt leaving the boy and Fran standing in the open, "Care to repeat that Imperfect."

"Don't do it," her friend mumbled, he turned to face Fran. She smirked before looking over at Harriet, their eyed meeting. She took a few steps forwards.

"The name's Fran, not Imperfect. And sure, not like them lot won't rat me out if I don't. I asked if this was a drop off," the Imperfects burst out laughing which fuelled the girl, "You know it isn't a quick fix and release, right? You don't actually. The outside world don't want you back. It puts a chip on your shoulder."

The laughter only grew. Harriet grew even angrier. "Your just like Oak and you'll end up where he is."

Her words: so simple yet more powerful than a canon. They all watched as the teenager tensed up, her head lowering. The laughing stopped.

"Dead," the female finished. Fran could feel tears burn her eyes.

"Harriet," Amber looked over at her friend, "Why would you bring that up?"

"Doesn't she deserve to know what happened to him?" Her mouth twisted into a cold, knowing smile, "It isn't like I've even told that insolent girl how."

"Your heartless. You and all the other Perfects are heartless, emotionless fucks," Fran yelled before running back up to her room, away from them all. The boy and Amber both ran after without hesitation.

The pair made it to the bedroom where the journal no longer resided and the window had been flung open.

"Harriet is the worst," the boy stated coldly as he closed the door to the bedroom.

"Now might not be the best of times but it's great to see you again Johnny."

"Why did you ran after Fran?"

"Because Harriet said some really mean things back there."

"About her dad."

"Yes. Where is she?"

"On the roof."

Amber made her way over to the open window, slowly climbing out.

"Hey Amber," Johnny said causing the female to look back at him. He smiled slightly, "I've missed you too."

Back