Side Story RAD!

View attachment 10662

"Nope. Unfortunately, I'm still as real as can be. And... well, I guess everyone else is too," Buddy shrugged as Sam came around along with the morning. The man had spent the better portion of the night trying to piece together his situation and what was going on here, the things he had seen in the strange space underneath the shack before it all came crashing down on him.

Of course, his fatigue had to take him over eventually, and though he didn't get too much rest, Buddy was used to operating on a less than stellar six hours of sleep. Not that a cup of joe would hurt him, but he doubted that was something a kid would just have on him anyway.

Letting Sophie speak her part to Sam first, Buddy leaned over next to Steelheart and murmured lowly under his breath. "You don't suppose the kid knows anything about what we saw in the hole, do you? I still don't even really understand what just happened myself..."

@Jeremi @Capri @Everybody

Ireena found herself tilting her head side-to-side in order to get out the pain from the odd way she had slept. Her hair was a mess, with some of the dye staining her finger, and some of the bright red appearing to contrast with the rest of the brown dye. She had slept... better than previous nights, but still not gotten a lot of sleep the previous night.

"All still here." She said, raising her hand. She put her hand to her neck briefly and winced. "Vampire bite-free too. I just slept strangely."

"Stayed safe last night, I hope." She asked Sam, putting her hand on her sword and turning to Link.

@Takumi @Jeremi @Capri @Ver @Everyone​

As Buddy dropped down to the room bellow he felt his feet touching the padded and decaying floor. He found a door but opening it only revealed dirt on the other side. For every sense of the word this entire room felt displaced, shunted down into the dirt for no reason. There wasn't much else left to investigate when Buddy suddenly found something.

Newspaper clippings, and in surprisingly good shape considering the room itself. The clippings was an article about a town whose inhabitants had mysteriously vanished in 1925.

Eagleville

Before Buddy could read the article further when the date changed to 1933. Then to 1957 and then finally to 1987 before it burst into flames. As that happened the entire room started to shake violently. The walls went out of sync for a moment allowing some of the dirt to fall through. If Buddy didn't get out fast he'd be buried by the dirt. Then as the room vanished around him, the blond hero felt something grab him by the collar and pull him to safety as dirt fell around him.

As he got his barrings he'd find Steelheart standing over him. His knight in shining armor, as well as the others who had gone on their little fact finding mission. "What did I just save you from?" That was a conversation that went long into the night before everyone that needed it decided to get some sleep.

Day 2

Jerrica's evening meanwhile had been spent with the lovely Yoshida family as Hideo tried to sell her on how Gundam wasn't just another anime, but how it housed a lot of political intrigue, as well as cool big mechanical suits. Sam's sister not being home meant that Jerrica got to sleep in her room after a quick change of sheets.

In the early morning she was woken up by Sam who was in a hurry to get back to his secret lair out in the woods. A quick breakfast, and white lie about helping Jerrica, they were off on the bike.

It was around 9AM when they arrived at the shack where it was still rather quiet. "Hey" Sam shouted. "Anyone still here or were you really just some form of stress manifestation or whatever?" Seeing Grimlock stir behind the shack showed that he in fact had not.

@Ver @Capri @Gummi Bunnies @Crow @Sark @Atomic Knight @Yun Lee @Jackythejack @Space_Candy @Lucky @Takumi @Minerva

The first thing Link had done, when finding the opportunity to, was relay the information gathered from his and Ireena's walk through the woods as well as their run in with Rufus and the fact that there was a lack of wildlife.

As their second day began in this new place, Link listened for any sounds of wildlife as he did his best to fully wake up. While it wasn't the best sleep he's had it wasn't the worst.

With Sam's arrival and Sophie immediately asking him something, the swordsman but his cheek in thought. While he didn't want to bombard the young man with questions, he at least wanted to know if Sam noticed anything off when coming here.

"You guys hear any birds on the way here?" He asked.

Ireena found herself tilting her head side-to-side in order to get out the pain from the odd way she had slept. Her hair was a mess, with some of the dye staining her finger, and some of the bright red appearing to contrast with the rest of the brown dye. She had slept... better than previous nights, but still not gotten a lot of sleep the previous night.

"All still here." She said, raising her hand. She put her hand to her neck briefly and winced. "Vampire bite-free too. I just slept strangely."

"Stayed safe last night, I hope." She asked Sam, putting her hand on her sword and turning to Link.

@Takumi @Jeremi @Capri @Ver @Everyone​

Link glanced to Ireena when she turned to him, tilting his head a tick as he regarded her quietly for a moment.

@Jeremi @Minerva @Space_Candy @Capri @Ver @Everyone

Sam narrowed his eyes as he looked at the coupon. "Uh...the burger place back in town? It's okay...but it's no Burger King. We don't have a Burger King but last summer when we were on vacation we went into one and man that was great."

To Link's question, he just shrugged. "I dunno, maybe? I was just focusing that I and Jerrica weren't going to fall off the bike." Though Link himself might have realized that there in fact were no birds singing.

To Ireena Sam smiled. "You bet! I think my dad has a new friend! Tried to get Jerrica to watch all these anime with no subtitles that my cousins back in Japan ship to my dad!"

Stealheart meanwhile leaned quietly over to Buddy. "I think if he did know that he would've no doubt told us. The question is how are we going to explain it to him?"

@Ver @Capri @Gummi Bunnies @Crow @Sark @Atomic Knight @Yun Lee @Jackythejack @Space_Candy @Lucky @Takumi @Minerva

SOPHIE WALTEN
@Jeremi @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Crow @Sark @Atomic Knight @Yun Lee @Jackythejack @Space_Candy @Lucky @Takumi @Minerva
Sam narrowed his eyes as he looked at the coupon. "Uh...the burger place back in town? It's okay...but it's no Burger King. We don't have a Burger King but last summer when we were on vacation we went into one and man that was great."

"No... no that's not what I mean..." Sophie exclaimed, "I remember it vaguely but... it wasn't even open for a month. It closed in 1974 when I was 14... eight years ago!"

Some of her vague memories started flooding back, her mother, her father, the restaurant. It was all too much for her to handle.

She walked away from the conversation, turning into a stressed ball of shame in the corner.​

To Link's question, he just shrugged. "I dunno, maybe? I was just focusing that I and Jerrica weren't going to fall off the bike." Though Link himself might have realized that there in fact were no birds singing.

To Ireena Sam smiled. "You bet! I think my dad has a new friend! Tried to get Jerrica to watch all these anime with no subtitles that my cousins back in Japan ship to my dad!"

Stealheart meanwhile leaned quietly over to Buddy. "I think if he did know that he would've no doubt told us. The question is how are we going to explain it to him?"

At Sam's answer, the Hylian gave a thoughtful hum for a second before crossing his arms.

"I see. So far...I don't hear any birds this morning." Link commented towards the young man

@Jeremi @Minerva @Capri @Space_Candy @Ver @Lucky @Gummi Bunnies @Everyone

The first thing Link had done, when finding the opportunity to, was relay the information gathered from his and Ireena's walk through the woods as well as their run in with Rufus and the fact that there was a lack of wildlife.

As their second day began in this new place, Link listened for any sounds of wildlife as he did his best to fully wake up. While it wasn't the best sleep he's had it wasn't the worst.

With Sam's arrival and Sophie immediately asking him something, the swordsman but his cheek in thought. While he didn't want to bombard the young man with questions, he at least wanted to know if Sam noticed anything off when coming here.

"You guys hear any birds on the way here?" He asked.

Link glanced to Ireena when she turned to him, tilting his head a tick as he regarded her quietly for a moment.

@Jeremi @Minerva @Space_Candy @Capri @Ver @Everyone

SOPHIE WALTEN
@Jeremi @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Crow @Sark @Atomic Knight @Yun Lee @Jackythejack @Space_Candy @Lucky @Takumi @Minerva

"No... no that's not what I mean..." Sophie exclaimed, "I remember it vaguely but... it wasn't even open for a month. It closed in 1974 when I was 14... eight years ago!"

Some of her vague memories started flooding back, her mother, her father, the restaurant. It was all too much for her to handle.

She walked away from the conversation, turning into a stressed ball of shame in the corner.
At Sam's answer, the Hylian gave a thoughtful hum for a second before crossing his arms.

"I see. So far...I don't hear any birds this morning." Link commented towards the young man

@Jeremi @Minerva @Capri @Space_Candy @Ver @Lucky @Gummi Bunnies @Everyone

Ireena raised her eyebrow. "Japan? Watching Anime? Is that like... watching a play?" The Barovian asked, tilting her head. She had never heard of either of these. It sounded interesting, but the talk of "subtitles" and being sent a play to watch was a bit confusing towards the poor girl. She at least recognized the word "burger." The man who raised her had been the Burgomeister of Barovia, so using basic linguistics the minor noble had learned, she assumed it had to do with the food of some town.

Bon's Town of Meat or somesuch. Classy name.

She shifted uneasily and gestured towards the window. "I will say that it was night to sleep without the howl of wolves or the cry of Loons in the night, but I agree with Sir Link that no morning songbirds is never a good thing." A soft smile formed on her face. "At least for one night. The continued silence can be evil in its own way." She looked distant, her eyes focusing upwards.

She touched her hair and frowned. "One more thing, and I don't mean to burden you, but do you know where I could get some Umber to dye my hair?" She said to the boy.​

Ireena raised her eyebrow. "Japan? Watching Anime? Is that like... watching a play?" The Barovian asked, tilting her head. She had never heard of either of these. It sounded interesting, but the talk of "subtitles" and being sent a play to watch was a bit confusing towards the poor girl. She at least recognized the word "burger." The man who raised her had been the Burgomeister of Barovia, so using basic linguistics the minor noble had learned, she assumed it had to do with the food of some town.

Bon's Town of Meat or somesuch. Classy name.

She shifted uneasily and gestured towards the window. "I will say that it was night to sleep without the howl of wolves or the cry of Loons in the night, but I agree with Sir Link that no morning songbirds is never a good thing." A soft smile formed on her face. "At least for one night. The continued silence can be evil in its own way." She looked distant, her eyes focusing upwards.

She touched her hair and frowned. "One more thing, and I don't mean to burden you, but do you know where I could get some Umber to dye my hair?" She said to the boy.​

"Mm. Didn't hear any animals during the night, which is mostly why I asked." This was mostly directed to Sam, though glanced to Ireena briefly when shespoke.

"You can just call me Link, I'm just a blacksmith's apprentice." The green wearing swordsman replied to Ireena. Though, he couldn't help but remember a dream from before his journey started. Battling a terrible evil...

In a sense that started everything, save ending up in Sam's shack. Either way, the last thing he wanted now was Sam freaking out similarly to yesterday when they all arrived.

@Jeremi @Minerva @Ver @Capri @Space_Candy @Lucky @Gummi Bunnies @Everyone

"It's 1987," Sam corrected her before scratching his head. "I mean...it's not a big franchise or anything but I think it's around a few towns? I don't really get why they haven't changed their logo though. Looks like a four year old drew it. We could grab lunch there later if you wanted."

The talk about no animal sounds took Sam a bit aback though. "W-wait you're serious? I don't think I have really noticed that but man...it's been pretty quiet around town. We have a bird feeder at home and that's usually filled with birds but..." Sam wasn't quite sure how to process that. "You think it has something to do with the disappearances?"

"It's 1987," Sam corrected her before scratching his head. "I mean...it's not a big franchise or anything but I think it's around a few towns? I don't really get why they haven't changed their logo though. Looks like a four year old drew it. We could grab lunch there later if you wanted."

The talk about no animal sounds took Sam a bit aback though. "W-wait you're serious? I don't think I have really noticed that but man...it's been pretty quiet around town. We have a bird feeder at home and that's usually filled with birds but..." Sam wasn't quite sure how to process that. "You think it has something to do with the disappearances?"

Link had a feeling that what Sam had just said would upset Sophie more than she already was. The group hadn't ate since arriving here either from what he remembered, so maybe they could plan to eat...elsewhere, if the place upset the girl so much.

Deciding to bring up some of what happened th theother day, Link looked to the boy.

"It's a possibility, Ireena and I went to check the area around the shack and the first thing we noticed is that it was pretty quiet. We also ran into a man named Rufus, and he said he hadn't heard any wildlife in some time," Link replied, before adding, "Though, I first assumed that something just scared the birds off and the other animals were quiet as a result."

@Jeremi @Minerva @Capri @Ver @Lucky @Space_Candy @Yun Lee @Jackythejack @Sark @Atomic Knight @Everyone

SOPHIE WALTEN
@Jeremi @EveryoneElse

"DON'T YOU DARE INSULT MY MOTHER'S ART LIKE THAT!!!"

Sophie was oddly wired. For the first time she looked… mad.

"You know what… fine,"

Sophie stormed into the cabin. Finally with the clarity to see: she’s the daughter of one of the founders.​

"Rufus?" Sam asked. "As in Rufus Charles Fellbottom the Third? You don't see that guy around town a lot. Weird that he'd be out of his house for anything." Sam's face frowned deeper as the talk about animals continued. "I...man that sucks. Our neighbor had a dog that I used to look after when they were gone, but it disappeared a few months ago and..." Before he could process it Sophie exploding into his face.

As she vanished in a huff Sam looked awkwardly over to the others. "...Probably not go there for lunch then."

"Rufus?" Sam asked. "As in Rufus Charles Fellbottom the Third? You don't see that guy around town a lot. Weird that he'd be out of his house for anything." Sam's face frowned deeper as the talk about animals continued. "I...man that sucks. Our neighbor had a dog that I used to look after when they were gone, but it disappeared a few months ago and..." Before he could process it Sophie exploding into his face.

As she vanished in a huff Sam looked awkwardly over to the others. "...Probably not go there for lunch then."

SOPHIE WALTEN
@Jeremi @EveryoneElse

"DON'T YOU DARE INSULT MY MOTHER'S ART LIKE THAT!!!"

Sophie was oddly wired. For the first time she looked… mad.

"You know what… fine,"

Sophie stormed into the cabin. Finally with the clarity to see: she’s the daughter of one of the founders.​

"Yeah, he was making bird calls when we ran into him. Said he had an associate who left for a business trip that he wanted to speak to about the animal situation, but not until he returned from the trip." Link replied, before Sophie did get upset about what Sam had said to the point of yelling at the boy then storming off. While she didn't get upset in the way Link expected, he supposed that it made sense that something like this would happen.

@Jeremi @Capri @Ver @Minerva @Everyone

"... That went well. Guess it's a small world after all," Buddy said in a deadpan manner as Sophie stormed off, the older man scratching the back of his head. He listened to Sam's words with furrowed attention; a lack of birds in the neighborhood was indeed something that struck Buddy as unnatural.

After all, not to play the one note he was capable of playing, but the Animal Man himself wasn't about to turn a blind eye to the disappearance of animals, even if other people might pass them off as mere, worthless birds. Then again, the mentioning of a missing house dog was also prone to receiving its fair share of attention. Everyone loved dogs, after all.

Crossing his arms, the blonde man pitched in. "This Fellbottom guy then... Guessing he's our only lead then? Sounds like he has something interesting to say about our magic, disappearing animals here. And his little friend."

@Jeremi @Capri @Minerva @Takumi @Everybody

"Yeah, he was making bird calls when we ran into him. Said he had an associate who left for a business trip that he wanted to speak to about the animal situation, but not until he returned from the trip." Link replied, before Sophie did get upset about what Sam had said to the point of yelling at the boy then storming off. While she didn't get upset in the way Link expected, he supposed that it made sense that something like this would happen.

@Jeremi @Capri @Ver @Minerva @Everyone
"... That went well. Guess it's a small world after all," Buddy said in a deadpan manner as Sophie stormed off, the older man scratching the back of his head. He listened to Sam's words with furrowed attention; a lack of birds in the neighborhood was indeed something that struck Buddy as unnatural.

After all, not to play the one note he was capable of playing, but the Animal Man himself wasn't about to turn a blind eye to the disappearance of animals, even if other people might pass them off as mere, worthless birds. Then again, the mentioning of a missing house dog was also prone to receiving its fair share of attention. Everyone loved dogs, after all.

Crossing his arms, the blonde man pitched in. "This Fellbottom guy then... Guessing he's our only lead then? Sounds like he has something interesting to say about our magic, disappearing animals here. And his little friend."

Ireena scratched her head. "He said his colleague was away at a meeting, but he looked... distant when he said it, like he was trying to recall..." Ireena said, looking again towards Link to back her up.

"He seemed like the type who would be at home in a Monastery or University." She said, turning to Sam. "Perhaps one of those are in or near town, like the Abbey of Saint Markovia was back home?"​

Ireena scratched her head. "He said his colleague was away at a meeting, but he looked... distant when he said it, like he was trying to recall..." Ireena said, looking again towards Link to back her up.

"He seemed like the type who would be at home in a Monastery or University." She said, turning to Sam. "Perhaps one of those are in or near town, like the Abbey of Saint Markovia was back home?"​

Link nodded to Ireena, before bringing a hand to his chin a second.

"He also said his colleague was on vacation at one point, though when I brought up that he had said business trip earlier instead, he seemed as if he had simply forgotten. It was a little off to me, at least." He added.

@Jeremi @Ver @Minerva @Capri @Everyone

Sam nodded to the trio regarding Fellbottom. "Yeah I think he has an office at the local college. It's on the other side of town but that's like nothing. Should take about half a hour. If he's there. No animals is kind of a scary thought."

"If I may interject," Steelheart stepped into the conversation. "I believe it would be best to further split up. This Fellbottom is only one person of interest. Maybe a library? Perhaps this town has more secrets to it that no one realizes? And..." She looked over back at the hut. "Sophie's outburst aside, I imagine she'd be curious to check out that burger joint. Food in general as well. Perhaps we can try and get something from town?"

"Uuuh yeah..." Sam fumbled through his pockets and pulled out a total of $20. "I scavenged what I had at home. You should be able to get some instant mac n cheese from the store at least. As for a library we have one of those in the middle of town. I used it for an assignment from school. It should have a lot of old newspapers if you want to figure something out. And Bun's Burger's I mean...if you want to go there I can give you directions...

Again, it's no Burger King."

SOPHIE WALTEN
@Jeremi @EveryoneElse

Sophie emerged from the hut, now calmer than before. She needed a moment, not only to calm herself from Sam’s comments but also over remembering her dad and mom for the first time in a while.

Sophie walked up to Sam.

"I'm… I'm sorry," Sophie said, "I… Everything was just… so much. Too much, you know?"

Sam probably didn't know.

She looked over back at the hut. "Sophie's outburst aside, I imagine she'd be curious to check out that burger joint. Food in general as well. Perhaps we can try and get something from town?"

"I mean… I am curious…" Sophie responded, "It's… it is… my dad co-founded that place when I was 14. My memory's coming back… somewhat,"

She turned to the others.

"Won't do it alone, though," she said, "It’s not the most… up there… in terms of quality, just saying,"

"Uh, aha, sure. We can split up, cover more ground," Buddy said with a breath, his arms initially folded until he raised a stern finger as he continued speaking. "I'm not going anywhere near a burger joint though. And honestly, you guys shouldn't either. I mean, what kind of world do we live in where you can make a living off mass slaughter and putting some bread and cheese on their corpses for good measure?"

"No offense," he uttered to Sophie, before clearing his throat.

"Anyway, that's that for me. I'm gonna go see about meeting this Fellbottom person. Anyone else coming with?"

@Jeremi @Takumi @Capri @Minerva @Everybody

Back