Side Story RAD!

View attachment 11235

"I'm the Animal Man, but right here, it seems like you're the only savage around," Buddy said through gritted teeth as he glowered at Fellbottom, giving a gaze akin to every natural predator at once to him. The man's words didn't do him any favors, but Buddy knew he shouldn't let his anger make him say or do something he'd regret, not when this could be their only chance to get a further lead on something.

Now Buddy was starting to see how Batman always seemed so pissed when dealing with lowlifes.

Putting his goggles back on now that things had become dicey, Buddy shifted his hold on Fellbottom until the man's collar was firmly in the hero's two hands, and the two of them were face to face together.

"Let's try this again. We can settle this like men, or like animals. And I'll come out on top either way," the blonde man went on, looking Fellbottom in the eye. "What did you mean about a fog?! Did you do this?! Did someone, something, make you do this?!"

@Jeremi @Minerva @Takumi @College

The librarian waved after him. "That's what I'm here for sweetie, and do keep your voice down. It is a library after all." As Scrappy made his way down the stacks and stacks of books he quickly found what he was looking for.

Shelves and shelves of primers filled with what seemed to newspapers from a local paper called the Eagleville Gazett. The oldest primer seemed to have papers seemed to be from 1887.

@Lucky @Library

"I-in the figurative sense," Fellbottom stammered, clearly intimidated by what Buddy was doing. "It's been... it's been normal. Unphased, but...but something in the back of my mind. The animals. The animals gone missing. I think...I think that was my way of sensing that...it was wrong." He quickly looked back towards the desk before looking away in pain. "E-even if it had been something he would have called. We always...called. Subconsciously I knew. I KNEW, but I couldn't do anything. A-and now you're here dressed in that costume and," He looked at Link and Ireena. "Those costumes. Did you do this?" He finally managed to stammer out. "Why are you dressed like that?"

@Ver @Takumi @Minerva @College

Buddy's brow remained furrowed as Fellbottom spoke, the meaning behind his words difficult to make out. He spoke abstractly, almost poetically, in a way Buddy found strangely familiar, but the memories just wouldn't come to him. A void in his mind, just like when he first came here, but he couldn't think about that right now.

"What are you talking about...? What does any of this have to do with the animals?!" Buddy exclaimed, trying to get a better picture of what was going on here. When Fellbottom tried to turn the questions around him, the blonde man shook his head. Considering how out of whack this world was, and how it probably didn't have any superheroes, let alone whatever Link and Ireena were supposed to be in all honesty, that probably would have been a bitch and a half if he had to explain that, so...

"Listen, I'm the one asking the questions here!" He went on, trying to reaffirm his stance, using his animalistic strength to shake the other man around. "Give me a name, a place, something! Not leaving here empty-handed, capiche?!"

@Jeremi @Takumi @Minerva @College

"It's wrong!" Fellbottom repeated. "All animals being gone means it's wrong! I don't know what's wrong but something is...really wrong." He slumped in Buddy's grasp looking utterly defeated.

"You're like the first one who thinks something is wrong." Sam replied finally peeking into the study again, making a conscious effort to not directly look over to the desk area. "I've been saying it for weeks but everyone thinks I'm being dumb but...you see it too, right?"

"Y-yes," Fellbottom nodded. "Something is very wrong. I can feel it now. I-I don't know what it is but something is very, VERY, wrong."

The librarian waved after him. "That's what I'm here for sweetie, and do keep your voice down. It is a library after all." As Scrappy made his way down the stacks and stacks of books he quickly found what he was looking for.

Shelves and shelves of primers filled with what seemed to newspapers from a local paper called the Eagleville Gazett. The oldest primer seemed to have papers seemed to be from 1887.

@Lucky @Library

"I-in the figurative sense," Fellbottom stammered, clearly intimidated by what Buddy was doing. "It's been... it's been normal. Unphased, but...but something in the back of my mind. The animals. The animals gone missing. I think...I think that was my way of sensing that...it was wrong." He quickly looked back towards the desk before looking away in pain. "E-even if it had been something he would have called. We always...called. Subconsciously I knew. I KNEW, but I couldn't do anything. A-and now you're here dressed in that costume and," He looked at Link and Ireena. "Those costumes. Did you do this?" He finally managed to stammer out. "Why are you dressed like that?"

That wasn't really a question he expected, and while the question of how differently they were dressed from the townsfolk was a bit overdue, Link

"This is what I usually wear, but no we didn't do anything like...this." he answered.

"It's wrong!" Fellbottom repeated. "All animals being gone means it's wrong! I don't know what's wrong but something is...really wrong." He slumped in Buddy's grasp looking utterly defeated.

"You're like the first one who thinks something is wrong." Sam replied finally peeking into the study again, making a conscious effort to not directly look over to the desk area. "I've been saying it for weeks but everyone thinks I'm being dumb but...you see it too, right?"

"Y-yes," Fellbottom nodded. "Something is very wrong. I can feel it now. I-I don't know what it is but something is very, VERY, wrong."

Listening to Fellbottom and Sam speak, Link held a thoughtful expression. None of this was making complete sense, but to the apprentice it seemed like there was some form of dark magic in use. Briefly, he glanced down at the magical bracelet on his left wrist the eye shape on it staring back at him.

"Maybe there's some form of...dark magic or something similar afflicting the townsfolk?" He suggested aloud with a deep frown. He wasn't sure if it was suggested before, but if the whole town was under some form of influence in the same sense as Fellbottom it was the only theory he had.

@Jeremi @Ver @Minerva @College

Even in his current state Fellbottom seemed to scoff at the suggestion of magic. "T-this isn't one of those crude fantasy books. This is real life! No whatever this is I'm sure it's explainable in scientific terms. Like, like a gas leak..." The group could tell that he didn't much believe his own theory, but Fellbottom still seemed to have and try and rationalize it somehow.

Buddy could only grit his own teeth in irritation. It definitely felt like he was going nowhere with Fellbottom, but this couldn't be all the man had to offer. Not when he was pretty much their only lead, and the trail just got hotter by the second! There just had to be something else.

When Fellbottom tried to downplay the incident as something else entirely, Buddy shook the man again with his animalistic strength. "Gas leak? The real magic is if you actually believe crap like that. You and I both know something is screwy for real here! It's all wrong!" He exclaimed, pointedly using that word against Fellbottom.

"Tell me the truth! If you don't cooperate, more people and animals could be in danger, and that'd be on your head! Do you understand me?!"

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy would smile, confused on how this all worked. " Sorry, I get excited very easily and I talk louder than I think I do," he quietly replied back as he walked down the stack and stack of books, somehow quickly finding what he needed.

There were so many shelves filled with primer of the newspaper and he decided the best place to start was the oldest one. He carefully picked up the oldest primer and started to read the newspaper.

@Jeremi @Library

"Yo, Buddy," Sam came in and placed a hand on Animal Man's side. "I-I think he really doesn't know what's going on?"

Fellbottom quickly nodded. "Young Sam's correct! I honestly have no clue! But to assume it's magic of all things!" He scoffed, but a quick glance over at the desk again caused his brow to sink and those sad eyes to return. "But at this point...I'll have to believe anything you all say."

Glancing through the first primer the first thing that he noticed was a head article about the one year anniversary of Eagleville. It seemed to have started of as a mining town and quickly expanded to a fairly impressive town thanks to where it was situated and the new jobs it had created. The name evidently came from the fact that an eagle supposedly stood where the largest mining deposit of coal in American history had been found.

The young pup couldn't possibly manage to flip through all of these on his own but the first primer detailing about the first 20 years of the town didn't have much else that caught his eye. As he was reaching towards the second one however he heard something behind him. Like something had bumped into one of the bookshelves.

@Lucky @Library

Sam had stepped in to calm Buddy down before Link could, but it was probably for the best.

"Whether it's magic or not, something is causing all of this, along with the whole town's behavior." Link spoke up again after a while. He hadn't taken any offense to Fellbottom's claim on magic being simply fantasy, but to Link the explanation made the most sense so far until it could be proven otherwise.

He took another look around the room, wondering if there was anything that could've been missed in the mess even if it made his stomach turn looking at it.

@Jeremi @Ver @Minerva @College

"Ugh... Guess you're right, kid," Buddy said to Sam, letting out a worn breath as it seemed they weren't going to get anything else from Fellbottom. Looked like his Batman approach didn't go entirely as he would have liked. How does that guy do it anyway?

With that, he let the man go, and let his hands rest upon his hips, shaking his head in exasperation. This was a tense situation, and the fact that Fellbottom didn't seem to know anything about it only served to raise more questions than answers.

Pursing his lips, he looked over to the child. "Well, any other ideas, kid? You're the one callin' the shots, but we are kinda grasping at straws here," he murmured to the boy.

@Ver @Takumi @Jeremi

The young woman would look up. Her face was awash with horror

"If... If it is Dark Magic, then it's just like back home in Barovia..." She said quietly. "Before my father died, wolves... would attack the doors of our house, every night for a week. They suddenly stopped when he died." She paused in her speech, and looked around the room. "That was... a week before I arrived here, I would say." She looked once again at the bookshelf.

"Who is the Burgomaster of this realm?" She said, suddenly, turning to Sam.​

Link's eyes wouldn't really catch unto anything else in the room. Whoever this man had been that was murdered didn't seem to have anything much of interest in the room.

Sam meanwhile seemed to be taken aback by Buddy's words. "I-I'm in charge? I'm in charge?" He gulped as he looked around the rest of the group. "Sure. Sure! I am in charge! And since I am in charge we should totally...

...I have no clue." Thankfully Ireena spoke up. "...I don't know what that is but if you're talking about someone that's in charge that would be mayor Frank Wimbly. Don't know how much help he'd be. To be fair. He's a bit of a turd."

Those keeping an eye on Fellbottom would see his eyes going wide at the mention of Barovia. "Barovia? Did you say Barovia? Prey tell...what did you say your name was again?"

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy would look at the first primer and noticed that the head article was about the one year anniversary of the town. It was interesting that the town had gotten mining to become a business into a fairly impressive town. He wondered how that could have happened so fast, but he wasn't sure if he would like the answer. It was interesting that it was a bird that had showed them the way. Why had it happened like that? It seemed odd to the pup.

The young pup wished that he hadn't gone to the place alone, but it seemed that was the only place nobody wanted to go too. It was weird that nothing happened in the first twenty years and as he went to go for the second one, he heard the noise and wondered who that was. "Hello, who's there?" He asked, moving towards the noise but not before he grabbed the second primer.

@Jeremi

Link's eyes wouldn't really catch unto anything else in the room. Whoever this man had been that was murdered didn't seem to have anything much of interest in the room.

Sam meanwhile seemed to be taken aback by Buddy's words. "I-I'm in charge? I'm in charge?" He gulped as he looked around the rest of the group. "Sure. Sure! I am in charge! And since I am in charge we should totally...

...I have no clue." Thankfully Ireena spoke up. "...I don't know what that is but if you're talking about someone that's in charge that would be mayor Frank Wimbly. Don't know how much help he'd be. To be fair. He's a bit of a turd."

Those keeping an eye on Fellbottom would see his eyes going wide at the mention of Barovia. "Barovia? Did you say Barovia? Prey tell...what did you say your name was again?"

@Ver @Takumi

"Then I would like to meet him. Perhaps he might know. Speaking to him noble-to-noble." She remarked in regards to the mayor. "You do not have to come if he makes you uncomfortable."

"Ireena. Ireena Kolyana, daughter of Kolyan Indirovich, Burgomaster of Barovia." She said, turning to Fellbottom and giving a polite bow.​

As Ireena said her name Fellbottom gulped and wiped some sweat from his brow. “O-of course it’s you. The pictures don’t do you justice but…ahem…” He was about to set his hand down on the desk but stopped himself when he noticed the massive red spot again. “This…this is a lot to take in but, I understand, or I should say, I understand this is more than what I could’ve ever imagined…I will try to help as best as I can.” He ripped a paper from a note book from the desk and wrote something in it. “This is my number. Contact me whenever you feel like it. I will try my best to do what I can as well.”

Sam looked down at the note before taking it. “Thanks. I’d give you mine but…my parents would probably think it’s weird if you called and I wasn’t there.”

Fellbottom was caught in thought before he nodded. “Quite right, quite right. Well I am going to try and…” Another solemn look over the room. “See if I can find something. Anything that could help. What- what are you going to do next?”

Sam scratched himself on the head. “Uh…I guess we could try and check out the mayor? Not sure if he’d talk to us. Seems like a busy man. We should at least meet up with the others. Unless you guys have any ideas?”

No reply came to Scrappy as he stepped closer to the sound. He saw that a few of the books had fallen to the floor as he came close enough to the books he heard the same sound coming from behind him before a loud crash as the bookshelf on his left started to tip over threatening to crush Scrappy under it if he didn’t move.

@Lucky

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy wasn't sure why he expected the thing to reply. It didn't seem like the likely thing for it to do anyway. He would look over at the books on the floor and as soon as the crash was heard, he noticed the bookshelf was coming down on him fast. He would move quickly out of the way,. "Someone doesn't want me here, that means I'm on the right track."

@Jeremi

As Ireena said her name Fellbottom gulped and wiped some sweat from his brow. “O-of course it’s you. The pictures don’t do you justice but…ahem…” He was about to set his hand down on the desk but stopped himself when he noticed the massive red spot again. “This…this is a lot to take in but, I understand, or I should say, I understand this is more than what I could’ve ever imagined…I will try to help as best as I can.” He ripped a paper from a note book from the desk and wrote something in it. “This is my number. Contact me whenever you feel like it. I will try my best to do what I can as well.”

Sam looked down at the note before taking it. “Thanks. I’d give you mine but…my parents would probably think it’s weird if you called and I wasn’t there.”

Fellbottom was caught in thought before he nodded. “Quite right, quite right. Well I am going to try and…” Another solemn look over the room. “See if I can find something. Anything that could help. What- what are you going to do next?”

Sam scratched himself on the head. “Uh…I guess we could try and check out the mayor? Not sure if he’d talk to us. Seems like a busy man. We should at least meet up with the others. Unless you guys have any ideas?”

No reply came to Scrappy as he stepped closer to the sound. He saw that a few of the books had fallen to the floor as he came close enough to the books he heard the same sound coming from behind him before a loud crash as the bookshelf on his left started to tip over threatening to crush Scrappy under it if he didn’t move.

@Lucky

While there was nothing of note, Link hadn't expected much. When given the choice to check if the mayor would talk to them or to regroup, he turned to Sam.

"I'm willing to try the mayor first before regrouping, but either option is fine with me." He replied. The mayor was likely under whatever spell the rest of the townspeople were under, but maybe they'd get just a little closer to finding out what was really going on?

@Jeremi @Minerva @Ver @College

Back