Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as could be gathered at this point, there was no supernatural presence beyond the general negative energy most of the planet of Ash exhibited.

"That's an interesting thought!" Sorey said excitedly to Remy. "If organized religion existed when this temple was built, I'm afraid we have little to no information. The history of Ash before its fall is already hard to come by, let alone anything from its ancient times."

Artorius made a vexed noise. "The planet was unknown to the Coalition only a short time before its collapse. It is an unfortunate case of a world corrupted utterly by malevolent forces."

"Could The Order have existed on Ash before its fall?" Mikleo asked. "After all, they follow religious doctrine."

"Hmph. The Order is little more than a misguided, naive group of lost souls. They are like rats that seek out the darkest corners of existence to flourish and spread their pestilence. Most were led astray by a demon pretending to be a god, cementing them permanently as fools." Artorius' tone had grown sharp, sounding far more angry than any present had heard him up to this point. After a moment's pause, he looked to Will. "How you have come to fight this group yet do not know what sustains them is beyond me. Malevolence is an energy present across all of reality. It is a natural corruption; a byproduct of existence."

"But for most worlds, malevolence doesn't amount to anything," Sorey added. "Just about every living being produces malevolence as we all experience negative emotions. Just in some cases, malevolence can pose a real threat and can be used by certain individuals to do harm."

"As a whole, too much malevolence in certain corners of the multiverse cause imbalances that would affect all of reality. That is why we fight to eliminate malevolence."

The group began to reach an end to the initial tunnel, where the markings disappeared. Heavy debris marked the path at this point, evidently caused by several small cave-ins at points in the temple's history. Mikleo used water magic to blow some of the debris away as they went. They were about to reach an open area when a voice called out a question from the darkness, causing both Mikleo and Artorius to suddenly go on alert. Mikleo turned around quickly and raised his staff, conjuring a stream of water that reached out to grab the girl that had followed them into the ruins. He pulled her into Seres' light, just so she could stand before Artorius' outstretched blade.

HEY8qQC.png

"This is about as far from a public location as any place on Ash," he said, his eyes squinting to examine her in the dim light. "Who are you? Have you followed us?"

Meanwhile, Sorey had found himself too intrigued by the open area just beyond, so he took a few steps ahead of the group to peer into the next area, which he found consisted of a rustic mining set-up. Stone steps led down to an open chamber, where wooden platforms and a cart system had been built.

lK75pmF.jpg

"Woah... wonder what minerals they were finding down here!"

@Lucky @Hahli Nuva @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @York @MelodyMeister

Remy must've been like a walking generator of this malevolence stuff, back in the day. No wonder he got roped into this whole mess...still, it was probably for the best he joined up with ODMA. If not, where would he even be now? Wandering the world like some angsty nihilist with a chip on his shoulder?

Oh wait. That's literally what he'd been doing.

At least now, he could wander around with a purpose that was actually worth something to others, and not just himself. Too bad everyone in this group was too busy getting into petty fights to get much done. This was going to be a long trip, wasn't it? At least one kid seemed to be above it all, or really, too distracted to care. That was fine with Remy, who didn't care either. He followed Sorey, looking around the mining area with a hand on his hip.

"It's probably been mined dry by now," he said. "Considering how old this place is, that wouldn't surprise me."

@Atomic Knight @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Lucky @Gummi Bunnies @MelodyMeister @Hahli Nuva

Maple quickly tried to resist, but was pulled in by the water, unfortunately making her clothes a bit soaked. She stared down at the sword, and gulped. She wasn’t here to do harm, so surely they would believe her. She spoke and tried to sound as confident as she could.

“Maple Li. I travel the universe and collect information. I wanted to make brochure but I accidentally got the coordinates wrong, and now, I am here. Ash? I’m a explorer-tourist of sorts, so I’m interested in these types of ruins.”
She stopped for a moment, before speaking again in her normal slow tone.
“Please trust me, I won’t hamper your group. I’m just an adventurer, with all sorts of experiences. I’m just here to explore.”

She hoped she sounded sincere, with her naturally fakeish-polite tone, but this time, she was being honest. She was interested in ruins and things, and had no intention to harm anyone currently. It would be a mess to clean up wounds, and it could contaminate the site.
@Atomic Knight @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Lucky @Gummi Bunnies @MelodyMeister @Hahli Nuva

latest

❝ Perhaps that is the CASE. These markings may give a hint on what is up AHEAD. However, it is only a hint and not concrete INFORMATION. Therefore, we must tread on with caution until more is UNVEILED. ❞ Dlanor plainly stated, sliding up her glasses after saying so. It was little to go off of, but it gave its slight implications. Nothing more, nothing less. As someone who fought for the cold hard truth, the Inquisitor preferred to see more before giving her actual thoughts.

@Lucky @Hahli Nuva @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @York @Atomic Knight
Nathan Drake

Nathan was silent as he looked at the pictures of the walls and pulled out his sketchbook, drawing everything and anything he could see on the walls. It had proven useful in the past when he was in ruins to solve difficult puzzles and move forward and he was certain if this was the case, he would be grateful he did it.

@Atomic Knight @Hahli Nuva @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies
As far as could be gathered at this point, there was no supernatural presence beyond the general negative energy most of the planet of Ash exhibited.

"That's an interesting thought!" Sorey said excitedly to Remy. "If organized religion existed when this temple was built, I'm afraid we have little to no information. The history of Ash before its fall is already hard to come by, let alone anything from its ancient times."

Artorius made a vexed noise. "The planet was unknown to the Coalition only a short time before its collapse. It is an unfortunate case of a world corrupted utterly by malevolent forces."

"Could The Order have existed on Ash before its fall?" Mikleo asked. "After all, they follow religious doctrine."

"Hmph. The Order is little more than a misguided, naive group of lost souls. They are like rats that seek out the darkest corners of existence to flourish and spread their pestilence. Most were led astray by a demon pretending to be a god, cementing them permanently as fools." Artorius' tone had grown sharp, sounding far more angry than any present had heard him up to this point. After a moment's pause, he looked to Will. "How you have come to fight this group yet do not know what sustains them is beyond me. Malevolence is an energy present across all of reality. It is a natural corruption; a byproduct of existence."

"But for most worlds, malevolence doesn't amount to anything," Sorey added. "Just about every living being produces malevolence as we all experience negative emotions. Just in some cases, malevolence can pose a real threat and can be used by certain individuals to do harm."

"As a whole, too much malevolence in certain corners of the multiverse cause imbalances that would affect all of reality. That is why we fight to eliminate malevolence."

The group began to reach an end to the initial tunnel, where the markings disappeared. Heavy debris marked the path at this point, evidently caused by several small cave-ins at points in the temple's history. Mikleo used water magic to blow some of the debris away as they went. They were about to reach an open area when a voice called out a question from the darkness, causing both Mikleo and Artorius to suddenly go on alert. Mikleo turned around quickly and raised his staff, conjuring a stream of water that reached out to grab the girl that had followed them into the ruins. He pulled her into Seres' light, just so she could stand before Artorius' outstretched blade.

HEY8qQC.png

"This is about as far from a public location as any place on Ash," he said, his eyes squinting to examine her in the dim light. "Who are you? Have you followed us?"

Meanwhile, Sorey had found himself too intrigued by the open area just beyond, so he took a few steps ahead of the group to peer into the next area, which he found consisted of a rustic mining set-up. Stone steps led down to an open chamber, where wooden platforms and a cart system had been built.

lK75pmF.jpg

"Woah... wonder what minerals they were finding down here!"

@Lucky @Hahli Nuva @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @York @MelodyMeister
Will fixed Artorius with a light glare, not liking his tone. That being said, she knew why he didn't exactly trust her. She had to explain herself. The Oracle neglected to mention that there would be other forces on Ash, much less that she would need to finish this mission alone.

The Keeper sighed and projected an image of The Heart into her hand. The crystal glowed, showing the two warriors the latent cosmic energy that swirled within. The heart seemed to react with the blade of Artorius, giving it a pink energy aura.

"Do you really think I'd waste my time trying to join this mission if I had an ulterior motive? I'm not from this world. I slay the darkness, not spread it. My name is Will Vandom. I an a Guardian of Kanrakar and The Keeper of the Infinite Dimensions. I was sent here to figure out what The Order was up to, but I guess my superiors left out the part where Ash was a barren wasteland. If you're fighting them too, then maybe we could join forces? I'd feel better with someone watching my back and I'm sure you'd appreciate having my power on your side."

@Atomic Knight @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @York @Gummi Bunnies @MelodyMeister
Remy must've been like a walking generator of this malevolence stuff, back in the day. No wonder he got roped into this whole mess...still, it was probably for the best he joined up with ODMA. If not, where would he even be now? Wandering the world like some angsty nihilist with a chip on his shoulder?

Oh wait. That's literally what he'd been doing.

At least now, he could wander around with a purpose that was actually worth something to others, and not just himself. Too bad everyone in this group was too busy getting into petty fights to get much done. This was going to be a long trip, wasn't it? At least one kid seemed to be above it all, or really, too distracted to care. That was fine with Remy, who didn't care either. He followed Sorey, looking around the mining area with a hand on his hip.

"It's probably been mined dry by now," he said. "Considering how old this place is, that wouldn't surprise me."

Maple quickly tried to resist, but was pulled in by the water, unfortunately making her clothes a bit soaked. She stared down at the sword, and gulped. She wasn’t here to do harm, so surely they would believe her. She spoke and tried to sound as confident as she could.

“Maple Li. I travel the universe and collect information. I wanted to make brochure but I accidentally got the coordinates wrong, and now, I am here. Ash? I’m a explorer-tourist of sorts, so I’m interested in these types of ruins.”
She stopped for a moment, before speaking again in her normal slow tone.
“Please trust me, I won’t hamper your group. I’m just an adventurer, with all sorts of experiences. I’m just here to explore.”

She hoped she sounded sincere, with her naturally fakeish-polite tone, but this time, she was being honest. She was interested in ruins and things, and had no intention to harm anyone currently. It would be a mess to clean up wounds, and it could contaminate the site.
Schala Zeal
@Lucky @Hahli Nuva @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @Atomic Knight @MelodyMeister

Schala seemed mildly relieved that she didn't sense signs of Malevolence... Or well, more accurately anything abnormal for Ash. Nonetheless, she decided to press on, opening her eyes so she could keep a lookout for anything of note.Though, seeing Mikleo and Artorius' reaction to the newcomer, she froze, feeling an amount of concern for the woman the former had just snatched.

"I don't believe they mean us any harm..." She said quietly, hoping that the situation wouldn't escalate any further.

Although, her gaze darted towards the area Sorey had discovered, taking brief glances at the now abandoned mining area in question. She intended to investigate the place further, but first... She had to make sure Mikleo and Artorious had calmed down before hand.​

image.png

"I don't think she's lying, Sir Artorius. If she meant us any harm, I imagine she would have already made a move against us, so I don't think there's much cause for alarm, at least anymore," Alisha suggested to the taller man, echoing Schala's sentiment. Indeed, as the girl who called herself "Maple" attempted to explain herself to them, the former princess could only bite her lip mildly. She may have just said earlier that Ash was rife with lost souls who were capable of popping up at any moment or place, but they've already drawn two outsiders here! So much for a covert operation... If only they'd shown up at the outpost instead.

... But then again, that Fukawa girl wasn't exactly the friendliest, especially for a supposed representative. Neither was Mr. Trevor either for that matter.

Guess it couldn't be helped, either way.

Turning toward Maple, a somewhat concerned expression on her face, Alisha spoke again. "A universe traveler... Like some sort of aimless world hopper? Seems like the organization bumps into so many of those kinds of people... Like that strange man always bothering the M.E.U. or so..." She murmured idly, before clearing her throat, "As for letting you stick with us... Um, what do you think, Mister Artorius? I'm not quite sure about it, really..."

@Atomic Knight @Hahli Nuva @MelodyMeister @York @Lucky @Yun Lee @Takumi @Jeremi @Gummi Bunnies

“I’m not lying, really.”

Maple had to spell it out, didn’t she? True, she does have a lying, silver tongue and probably should be cut, and she’s manipulative, but this was not the time for that. Was this what Kitten called ‘The boy who cried wolf situation?’
She noticed Alisha talking to her, and put on a polite smile before replying. She couldn’t show that she was kind of nervous that there was a sword pointed at her.

“Umm, yeah, I suppose. It’s a bit of a habit now, going to worlds and helping people. I’m mostly just a tourist making brochures, collecting souvenirs, trying to make the best hearing aid for those who can’t understand languages, and trying to make the perfect knock out drug. That’s about all I do when travelling.”

Hmm, Maple seems to somehow managed to copy Kitty’s absurdly large speech. Well, she did much more then help people, but she’ll rather not say it.

“I won’t uh..’stick’ with the group. I’m just looking to take a photo as a ‘memor-abi-lia’. Sure that means I can go in after you went in, right? Thank you for defending me by the way.”

Goodness, she didn’t like this part of the multiverse. Too much paranoia and despair. And the last time she was here..

@Ver @Lucky @Yun Lee @Atomic Knight @Hahli Nuva @Jeremi @Takumi @Gummi Bunnies @York

Artorius let out a dry laugh that was devoid of any real humor. He knew even before the young Shepherd had said anything, that Sorey would advocate for this girl to join them. Sorey was not in charge here, of course, but Artorius felt they had already started off this expedition too slowly to warrant further arguments about who or who could not come. He did not feel that one more soul would hamper the ultimate goal of this trip, but he needed to nip in the bud any hopes she may have had about leading an investigation.

"You may follow us if you wish," Artorius said, sheathing his weapon, "but if you are to be near us, you will listen to me, no matter what. If you do anything that defies our mission, by my side is the last place you will want to be."

Mikleo nodded and put away his own weapon. "You'll have to tell us about your travels then," he said to Maple.

With that out of the way, Artorius followed Sorey into the open cavern. He led the group carefully on the narrow ledges that descended downward. "It is likely the miners dealt with any possible traps that existed in these parts of the ruins," he said. "After all, they were evidently here for quite a while."

He saw Sorey step on to one of the wooden minecart tracks that extended across the cavern and held out a hand to stop the boy. "No need to travel the ways made by the later visitors of these ruins. Instead, we must follow the path set by the original creators."

Said path continued straight down to the floor of the cavern. Steps led to a circular hole in the floor that gave an ominous vibe. Seres conjured a ball of flame and dropped it into the hole, showing the group that the steps leading down the hole had been broken and eroded away, making descending by foot impossible.

"I could maybe help a few descend with my magic," Mikleo said. Sorey said nothing, simply shuffled on his feet and look down into the abyss, feeling a distinct harrowing energy emanating from within.

Artorius let out a dry laugh that was devoid of any real humor. He knew even before the young Shepherd had said anything, that Sorey would advocate for this girl to join them. Sorey was not in charge here, of course, but Artorius felt they had already started off this expedition too slowly to warrant further arguments about who or who could not come. He did not feel that one more soul would hamper the ultimate goal of this trip, but he needed to nip in the bud any hopes she may have had about leading an investigation.

"You may follow us if you wish," Artorius said, sheathing his weapon, "but if you are to be near us, you will listen to me, no matter what. If you do anything that defies our mission, by my side is the last place you will want to be."

Mikleo nodded and put away his own weapon. "You'll have to tell us about your travels then," he said to Maple.

With that out of the way, Artorius followed Sorey into the open cavern. He led the group carefully on the narrow ledges that descended downward. "It is likely the miners dealt with any possible traps that existed in these parts of the ruins," he said. "After all, they were evidently here for quite a while."

He saw Sorey step on to one of the wooden minecart tracks that extended across the cavern and held out a hand to stop the boy. "No need to travel the ways made by the later visitors of these ruins. Instead, we must follow the path set by the original creators."

Said path continued straight down to the floor of the cavern. Steps led to a circular hole in the floor that gave an ominous vibe. Seres conjured a ball of flame and dropped it into the hole, showing the group that the steps leading down the hole had been broken and eroded away, making descending by foot impossible.

"I could maybe help a few descend with my magic," Mikleo said. Sorey said nothing, simply shuffled on his feet and look down into the abyss, feeling a distinct harrowing energy emanating from within.

"And I with my biotic abilities,"
Liara replied looking down into the deep hole. "Though I am concerned about what we might find down there..."

“...I understand. Lead the way.”

That really wasn’t a problem with her, Maple could lead a team, but the last time she did that...Well, anyways, she ultimately preferred for others to lead the way, she didn’t have confidence in her leading skills.
“Hm? Ah, in that case, maybe I should have brought my diary with me. They are rather long and tragic. I’ve gathered from people, that most prefer ‘uplifting’ stories rather then stories of death and pain, is that correct?”

She was going to say more, but then that ominous hole in the ground came along and interrupted her. She listened in to Liara talking about what might be down there, and she did suppose they was some dark, cold energy.

Come on. It’s just a hole. Not even the most horrific things scared her to the point of withdrawing her curiosity. She opened her mouth only when she had something important to say, and what she said was:
“I can try going down, I suppose.”

image.png

"..."

Alisha was a bit apprehensive about... well, the entire situation in general, as well as Artorius's tone toward Maple, but then, far be it from her to question the first Shepherd. More than that, it was a bit of a difficult situation that he was put in, with these kinds of people popping up, but perhaps it couldn't be helped. Or, well... could it?

Guess the moment was past now anyway.

Looking down the hole, like a bottomless pit, Alisha gulped softly. Was it like this when the original creators operated through it? Had it eroded and wore away over the course of hundreds, if not thousands of years? Every step the group took almost felt like it added more layers of mystery and questions to it all, none of which Alisha could imagine had any answers.

Swallowing down any apprehension, the young princess looked to Mikleo and Liara, nodding. "Whatever we do find, we should be prepared for anything. I'll be in your care as you help us down," she said to the both of them, whoever would opt to begin carrying everyone down first.

@Atomic Knight @MelodyMeister @Hahli Nuva @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @York @Gummi Bunnies @Lucky

"A drop could likely prove fatal," Artorius said, hoping to quell any less-than-careful ideas amidst the group.

Sorey seemed to be thinking deeply for the last few moments, but now he had an idea. "We'll send a scouting party!" he said, standing to his feet. "No need to go all at once. Those who can fly can go down, while Mikleo carries me down and Liara helps someone else! That sounds like a good amount."

"The steps are not eroded all the way down," Seres said, "but I can not determine what exactly awaits at the bottom."

After a deep breath, Artorius nodded. "Seres will drop another fireball to light the way during your descent."

Sorey nodded excitedly and hunched over the hole, ready to go. Mikleo sighed, having not really approved of this, but figured that Sorey was as good as anyone to head down. As Seres dropped fire into the hole, a sphere of water enveloped Sorey that raised him into the air before slowly lowering him into the abyss.

Sorey scanned the wall of the hole closely as he descended, realizing he could see more markings in the dim light. In them was a scene of the same pilgrims as before stepping into a pillar of light. "The light could be a metaphor..." he said absently, not even realizing as he and Will were about to reach the other end of the hole. He let out a bit of a gasp when they entered another large open area, but too little light to see much of anything beyond what Seres' flame offered.

"You can see remnants of the steps going even further down into this wide room," he said. "I think there's a platform below, circular and--" Suddenly, the bubble of water containing him burst and Sorey yelped. He started to fall, but was not quite above the platform and missed landing on it. He grabbed the edge and dangled over the abyss as he laughed in disbelief. "Wow...!"

Sorey grunted as he held on. "Just a single stone platform... Just big enough for us all to stand on."

Up above with the others, Mikleo winced. "I think something went wrong," he said.

Sorey scanned the wall of the hole closely as he descended, realizing he could see more markings in the dim light. In them was a scene of the same pilgrims as before stepping into a pillar of light. "The light could be a metaphor..." he said absently, not even realizing as he and Will were about to reach the other end of the hole. He let out a bit of a gasp when they entered another large open area, but too little light to see much of anything beyond what Seres' flame offered.

"You can see remnants of the steps going even further down into this wide room," he said. "I think there's a platform below, circular and--" Suddenly, the bubble of water containing him burst and Sorey yelped. He started to fall, but was not quite above the platform and missed landing on it. He grabbed the edge and dangled over the abyss as he laughed in disbelief. "Wow...!"

Sorey grunted as he held on. "Just a single stone platform... Just big enough for us all to stand on."

Up above with the others, Mikleo winced. "I think something went wrong," he said.

Will quickly flew down and landed on the platform, using The Heart to provide light for everyone to see. She bent down and extended a hand to help Sorey up, looking around to see just where they landed.

"It's okay, I've got you!"

The Keeper looked around at her surroundings. Just where were they, and what or who used this platform?

"The deeper we go, the more questions I have..."

@Atomic Knight @Lucky @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @York @MelodyMeister

...Still nothing. Maple had concentrated as hard as she could, and the most she could achieve without side effects was teleporting, or more so flickering to, a few metres. Had she really exhausted that much in teleporting to this multiverse? How pitiful, she led herself into this situation, the blame for getting here was all on her.
“If only I could fly..”

Of course something went wrong, Maple could just feel it, a bad feeling, that she, as a vigilante, should fix. A drop could prove fatal, that was what someone said. But if she could teleport hard enough...Well, maybe a head-hammering headache might be a good enough side effect.

She tried to raise her voice, and said to the people in the hole, although she had a feeling they won’t hear it.
“Excuse me, is there anyone there? If so, tell me where you are, I think I can come down through...my own methods.”

@Atomic Knight @Lucky @Ver @Jeremi @Takumi @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @York @MelodyMeister

Sorey gave Will a small thanks as she helped him up. He then put his hands on his hips and turned around to examine the edges of the platform. Thankfully, Seres' flames had stopped to float just above them, though its light not reaching beyond the platform itself. "I bet the way forward has also fallen," Sorey said, before looking up. He raised his hands to his mouth and yelled, "It's safe to come down, just do it slowly!"

Above, Sorey's voice could just barely be heard, but the gist of what he said was clear.

"I'm not sure how reliable my magic will be, considering the situation," Mikleo said.

Artorius shook his head. "With Dr. T'Soni's assistance, it will just take some time."

Will quickly flew down and landed on the platform, using The Heart to provide light for everyone to see. She bent down and extended a hand to help Sorey up, looking around to see just where they landed.

"It's okay, I've got you!"

The Keeper looked around at her surroundings. Just where were they, and what or who used this platform?

"The deeper we go, the more questions I have..."

Sorey gave Will a small thanks as she helped him up. He then put his hands on his hips and turned around to examine the edges of the platform. Thankfully, Seres' flames had stopped to float just above them, though its light not reaching beyond the platform itself. "I bet the way forward has also fallen," Sorey said, before looking up. He raised his hands to his mouth and yelled, "It's safe to come down, just do it slowly!"

Above, Sorey's voice could just barely be heard, but the gist of what he said was clear.

"I'm not sure how reliable my magic will be, considering the situation," Mikleo said.

Artorius shook his head. "With Dr. T'Soni's assistance, it will just take some time."

Lwai glanced down into the hole. He tried to use the camera like pupils of his eyes to scan it from where he stood, and to see if he could find Will and Sorey.

"There's no need to rush, since there's no telling how deep this hole is. I just hope I'm not too heavy." he commented. The Prince doubted he would be awfully heavy, but being an android, although able to pull anazing feats, it wasn't clear if he was heavy or light in some cases.

@Atomic Knight @Yun Lee @Hahli Nuva @Ver @Jeremi @Gummi Bunnies @York @Lucky @MelodyMeister

Liara nodded to Artorius. "Yes, I should be able to ferry everyone who doesn't have the ability to do so. Now, who will be the first to travel down on the Liara T'Soni express?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back