Closed Random Access Memories; Read Only Soul

Dashmiel

Bearly In Charge
Administrator
Nexus GM
art credit: https://www.deviantart.com/regnar3712

Hello All, and welcome to my 'Rift World' interest check/sign up sheet. You and up to four other hapless souls will get to embark in the journey of a timeline to a desolate post-apocalyptic alien world in a quest to uncover the deepest secrets of an extinct ancient alien race and the hyper-advanced servitor race they spawned.

In this Story Arc, I will be playing solely the role of gamemaster (or dungeon master), writing out overall narration over the adventure, scene setting, and writing for NPCs (of which our setting will be the biggest NPC, an active force that will react to the characters actions). The conflict "level" and whether the resolution of such conflict is violent is entirely dependent upon the type of characters that join up. I am prepared to accommodate tremendous flexibility in the "spirit" of the Nexus. If all of the characters joining are superhero tier fighters, we will have plenty of combat encounters a'la tabletop RPG without the dice. A group full of normal human high school students would get more of a thriller with the scope adjusted to match. You bring who you want and I'll make it work. Mostly; don't over do it if everyone else is clearly going for something else.

The plot revolves around a mysterious rift discovered within the sub-cellar of the Leaky Servo, a popular AI ran bar where the Va'nyrians make their home base in the Nexus. Through the rift lies an image that is very familiar to Nilin, the Va'nyrian All-Mother. A landscape where neither she nor indeed any Va'nyrian can safely enter. And yet, it is one where treasures and dearly sought answers await. It is thus that Nilin has contacted her liason with the Wayfarer's Guild and posted a sizeable bounty seeking not just Wayfarer's Guild members but any visitor to Nexus City to apply at the Leaky Servo to journey into the rift on commission by the Va'nyrian Consensus.

• All Nexus rules apply except where superseded by the Site rules.​
  • Minimum Posting Frequency of 1-2 posts per week.​
  • Characters in good faith only; clear joke characters (e.g. a literal normal human 3 year old, a clueless old lady with a parasol, and one punch man) will not be considered.​
  • Depending on details on your character sheet, I may need to converse with you to make sure the story can be tailored to suit your enjoyment with that character​

1. [Script]​
  2. [Kenzasheep]​
  3. [Nox]​
  4. [Tiko]​
  5. [Machina Somnium]​

If you have any questions or concerns on anything above, please let me know right here. I'm happy to clarify any points needed. Feel free to reply right here with your character being submitted for review if you already know you want in. Slots limited to a total of 5 with one currently reserved. Slots are not offered on a first come; first served basis. I will be reviewing the submitted characters and selecting them based upon compatibility with both the story I have envisioned an outline for, and the other characters also undergoing consideration. By submitting a character, you agree that this decision is entirely my prerogative.

For more information on what the Nexus is, please see this thread: Nexus Intro.

For more information about the Va'nyrian's, whose ruined world we will explore see my character profile for them: The Va'nyrians.

I'm ready to go; rough outline, ideas on how to deviate, feelings I'm gonna make you feel, art references, lore, off the cuff action that will seem like planned genius. Thank you for your consideration of allowing me to be your Storyteller in this adventure.

Last edited:
I'm interested. I'll have my character in a little bit. Also, are we using a character creation system similar to D&D, or how you normally would in an rp?

I'm interested. I'll have my character in a little bit. Also, are we using a character creation system similar to D&D, or how you normally would in an rp?
No creation system. It's all free form, no stats. If and when combat becomes a thing, I have a set of rules I'll post, but it's basically written fights chess. Backstory and character details entirely up to you.

Hm - I'm interested. i think my all-purpose character, Blindfold, would work well.

@Dashmiel

Name: Arianna ‘Ari’ Windsor
Species: Half-Demon; Believed to be human

Appearance: Arianna is an average-looking girl, appearing younger than most of her peers. She is about five feet six inches tall and has a thin build. She has honey-blond hair that fades to a bright magenta at the ends. Her eyes are a very deep blue. Her cheeks are spattered with freckles.

Personality: Arianna is shy and quiet when she is around most people, but she is energetic and somewhat childish when she is around people she trusts. She is very wary around new people, always assuming the worst.

Passive Abilities:

Limited Fire Control: Arianna can faintly create and control fire. Her ability to do this included, but is not limited to, lighting a candle, fireplace, or other small flames, or causing a fire of 5 cubic feet to less to double in size.

Dealmaking: Arianna can make deals with mortals in exchange for their souls, these souls do take a toll on her mental and emotional health, though.

Active Abilities:

Influence: Arianna can exert her influence on one to twelve people at a time, she can make someone more likely to do what she wants or believe her when she is lying. This ability gets weaker the more people she influences.

Bane of the Holy: Arianna can summon an obsidian weapon of her choice that is unusually effective against angels or other holy creatures. She can also use the weapon to steal the life force of a demon of lesser status than her to use it to fuel her powers.

Damn the Unholy: If Arianna has 13 demonic souls in her possession, she can expend them to send any non-celestial creature to the darkest pits of Hell. Only divine intervention can bring something back from this attack.

History: Arianna’s came into existence when the demon king Amaimon sealed a wager with Serene Windsor. When Arianna was young, she was deemed talented with her magical abilities granted by her fiendish blood, resulting in her receiving masses of recommendation letters from magic academies all over the multiverse.
Arianna never knew her father, and her mother never told her, she raised her daughter as a normal human, and that’s what Arianna believed she was.

@Dashmiel

Name: Arianna ‘Ari’ Windsor
Species: Half-Demon; Believed to be human

Appearance: Arianna is an average-looking girl, appearing younger than most of her peers. She is about five feet six inches tall and has a thin build. She has honey-blond hair that fades to a bright magenta at the ends. Her eyes are a very deep blue. Her cheeks are spattered with freckles.

Personality: Arianna is shy and quiet when she is around most people, but she is energetic and somewhat childish when she is around people she trusts. She is very wary around new people, always assuming the worst.

Passive Abilities:

Limited Fire Control: Arianna can faintly create and control fire. Her ability to do this included, but is not limited to, lighting a candle, fireplace, or other small flames, or causing a fire of 5 cubic feet to less to double in size.

Dealmaking: Arianna can make deals with mortals in exchange for their souls, these souls do take a toll on her mental and emotional health, though.

Active Abilities:

Influence: Arianna can exert her influence on one to twelve people at a time, she can make someone more likely to do what she wants or believe her when she is lying. This ability gets weaker the more people she influences.

Bane of the Holy: Arianna can summon an obsidian weapon of her choice that is unusually effective against angels or other holy creatures. She can also use the weapon to steal the life force of a demon of lesser status than her to use it to fuel her powers.

Damn the Unholy: If Arianna has 13 demonic souls in her possession, she can expend them to send any non-celestial creature to the darkest pits of Hell. Only divine intervention can bring something back from this attack.

History: Arianna’s came into existence when the demon king Amaimon sealed a wager with Serene Windsor. When Arianna was young, she was deemed talented with her magical abilities granted by her fiendish blood, resulting in her receiving masses of recommendation letters from magic academies all over the multiverse.
Arianna never knew her father, and her mother never told her, she raised her daughter as a normal human, and that’s what Arianna believed she was.

Thank you for submitting your character! Looks good. As more characters come in for consideration, I'll let you know if I think we need to discuss anything.

Hm - I'm interested. i think my all-purpose character, Blindfold, would work well.

Read through Blindfold's character sheet. A good pick, gives me lots of room to supply it with interesting situations. Same as Gigabit, looks good and I will let you know if we need to discuss any special considerations as the roster fills.

That gives us two characters already being considered, plus one someone drew art for and have some reading for me to do, and the reserved slot for 4 possibles already. A reminder to anyone else reading that I'm not doing first come first served. If you feel you have a good character for this adventure throw it in, no slots have been assigned yet.

Thank you for submitting your character! Looks good. As more characters come in for consideration, I'll let you know if I think we need to discuss anything.

Read through Blindfold's character sheet. A good pick, gives me lots of room to supply it with interesting situations. Same as Gigabit, looks good and I will let you know if we need to discuss any special considerations as the roster fills.

That gives us two characters already being considered, plus one someone drew art for and have some reading for me to do, and the reserved slot for 4 possibles already. A reminder to anyone else reading that I'm not doing first come first served. If you feel you have a good character for this adventure throw it in, no slots have been assigned yet.
Thanks you ~

I'm gonna offer up this sheet I just finished since I'm interested in joining, but if you see a character up in my menagerie that might better fit the vibe you're going for, that's cool too. I'm not too picky with whom I use

That one is pretty well suited to this kind of adventure. Gives me lots to work with as far as strengths and flaws go. If chosen I'll probably ask about how Kitty the human became Kathryne the Elkiss and what that entails (not just what is an Elkiss, but also how that affected her personality and world view, etc) so that I can have her backstory in mind for events. Thanks for submitting the character!

To everyone else, I've decided I'll review the submissions I've gotten (and may continue to have) this weekend. At that point I will select which ones make the cut and update the slots list as well as message any that I would like to make the cut to discuss any changes or clear misunderstandings I might have on the character.

If we're all full and good to go by Sunday, I'll scene set a group post of everyone meeting their employer in the Leaky Servo. If we fill some but not all slots this weekend, I'll give things another few days to assess and will instead offer anyone who makes the cut the option of a short 1 on 1 scene to establish them hearing and being hired on for the job should they want to warm up their writing until all spots are filled. Thank you all for your interest!

That one is pretty well suited to this kind of adventure. Gives me lots to work with as far as strengths and flaws go. If chosen I'll probably ask about how Kitty the human became Kathryne the Elkiss and what that entails (not just what is an Elkiss, but also how that affected her personality and world view, etc) so that I can have her backstory in mind for events. Thanks for submitting the character!

That is, in fact, a gloriously long story that I love to tell time and time again, and by explaining it you might just get a glimpse of how much history actually runs behind this character. I'm on Discord, though, if you want to talk about it over DMs. (Chosen or not, I love the opportunity to ramble about my OCs xD)

Last edited:

To everyone else, I've decided I'll review the submissions I've gotten (and may continue to have) this weekend. At that point I will select which ones make the cut and update the slots list as well as message any that I would like to make the cut to discuss any changes or clear misunderstandings I might have on the character.

If we're all full and good to go by Sunday, I'll scene set a group post of everyone meeting their employer in the Leaky Servo. If we fill some but not all slots this weekend, I'll give things another few days to assess and will instead offer anyone who makes the cut the option of a short 1 on 1 scene to establish them hearing and being hired on for the job should they want to warm up their writing until all spots are filled. Thank you all for your interest!
Sounds fun :3 Looking forward to it^^

View attachment 11300
Name: SHIRUKA/CIRCE
Alias: "VOID”
Race: Half-Human, Half-Alien (ONI)
Occupation: Smuggler, fortune seeker, pirate, buccaneer, looter, antiquary, collector of rare items.
Their technological resources destroyed, a colonizing expedition has been stranded on PLANETNAME for over two hundred years. Their continued survival was largely due to the organization of healers known as the Seekers, a spiritual group partially composed of ONI—a telepathic being native to the planet who bonds with another being for life. Seekers travel from town to town, settling disputes by truth-reading the minds and emotions of plaintiffs and defendants. One such ONI broke the Seeker rule of falling in love with their bond to a human woman and was excommunicated. They bore children together and raised their family in their broken ship with the colonizers.
As a young girl, Circe considered both her parents her heroes. Circe's personality is more like her father's. She is very empathetic and brave and will do absolutely anything for her family, including sacrificing her life. Her interests are like her mother's. She likes to learn and loves the opportunity to display her logical, scientific, and medical abilities, but hardly ever brags. Circe is also athletic and loves to swim, run and exercise.
Although Circe grew up around a variety of talented colonizers, she became a doctor and the colonists' field medic, though not everyone in the colony respected this skill. Her own mother, an ecologist, disapproved, but ultimately allowed her daughter to forge her own path. A prodigy, Circe is capable of diagnosing the condition of a patient without directly observing the patient, a Seeker skill she unconsciously adopted from her ONI father.
At 16 years old, Circe was given the option of opting out of the ONI Trials due to being a "half-breed", as the ONI would say, just like her older siblings did. They even recommended it. They would never be accepted, they reasoned. But the Trials were a rite of passage for coming-of-age ONI, a test that challenged the mind, body, and soul, to give them a purpose, and a permanent place in their society. Her courageous and daring personality would not allow her to quit, and her naive hopefulness made her think she could be accepted if she passed. Having been taught by her father, she hoped her private tutilage would be enough.
Despite her strong personality, Circe developed PTSD after surviving her near-death experience during the ONI Trials. Miraculously, she passed and was given the honorary title of Seeker, like her father before her. Not all were quick to accept her into their society, however.

Circe loved being a Seeker. Helping locals and learning their language. Until she was kidnapped on an assignment to a nearby town by a radical group of mercenaries for a local baron, who wanted to use her to send a message and set an example. Circe was dropped off at one of the system's sister planets, in completely unknown territory.

The following years were a blur of survival.
Two decades later, Circe had become one of Nexus' very own well-paid roughneck, part of a sub-class of highly skilled, but blue-collar contractors. She also smuggles on the side, specializing in luxury goods and ancient artifacts. A roguish exterior hides a heart of gold, and if not for the fact that everyone she loves thinks she is dead, she would have returned home and set up herself and her family for life. A regular at the Leaky Servo, and member of the Wayfarer's Guild, she received word of a new contract and went on her way.
Skills & AbilitiesItems & Gear
  • Sight of the ONI (racial trait): Extrasensory perception wherein some ONI are bestowed with the ability to sense, feel, or perceive events, sensations, or thoughts and emotions from the past, present, future, or at locations not relative to them. May not be able to fully understand the information obtained. May not be able to obtain personal information. May be limited in the amount of information obtainable or have difficulty finding some information.
    • This ability may sometimes trickle down into the user's dreams, giving the user vivid, lucid dreams of the past, present, or future. The dreams may be symbolic, and surreal. The user may or may not be able to come to an understanding, depending on events that may or may not have already or have yet to transpire.
  • Horns of Hannya: Oni/hannya are blessed with a remarkable ability via their horns. It is the power to control and manipúlate spacial and dimensional energy to create portals for transport between two non-adjacent locations. Circe can open a hole in the universe connecting two non-adjacent locations. She can release portal energy to attacks of various shapes and/or intensities, either projected, used as a part of melee attacks, etc. The energy may be difficult to control. Once the energy has been depleted, Circe must wait until enough portal energy has been absorbed by the horns to use it, again. The ability is non-existing without the horns.
  • Knowledge: Ancient Civilizations
  • Knowledge: Ancient languages
  • Exorcism/Purificarion
  • Spiritual Healing
  • Enchanted Intuition
  • Medical Training
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Self-defense
  • Gunslinger
  • Pilot
  • Tranquilizer gun
  • (Handgun)
  • (Blaster Rifle)
  • (Vibro-blade)
  • (Submachine gun)
  • (Space ship)
    • Vault of relics, armaments, and gadgetry...
  • Tactical & resilient exo-suit
  • S.E.A: AI computer that is used to help on jobs; uses a proprietary algorithm to retrieve and order results on user inquiries to provide the most relevant and dependable sources of data possible from the Nexus. Given to her as well as each of her crew members by their tech. It can be used to scan, illuminate, detect, notify, and alert the user. SEA is also programmed to hack security systems to unlock automatic doors and kill security alarms.

Last edited:
Name: Circe
Alias: "The Sloth" "The Sleeper" "Sandman"
Race: Half-Human, Half-Alien
Occupation: Smuggler, fortune seeker, pirate, buccaneer, looter, antiquary, collector of rare items
anti_extinction_armor_hunter.jpg
Their technological resources destroyed, a colonizing expedition has been stranded on PLANETNAME for over two hundred years. Their continued survival was largely due to the organization of healers known as the Seekers, a spiritual group partially composed of Xatti—a telepathic being native to the planet who bonds with another being for life. Seekers travel from town to town, settling disputes by truth-reading the minds and emotions of plaintiffs and defendants. One such Xatti broke the Seeker rule of falling in love with their bond to a human woman and was excommunicated. They bore children together and raised their family in their broken ship with the colonizers.
As a young girl, Circe considered both her parents her heroes. Circe's personality is more like her father's. She is very empathetic and brave and will do absolutely anything for her family, including sacrificing her life. Her interests are like her mother's. She likes to learn and loves the opportunity to display her logical, scientific, and medical abilities, but hardly ever brags. Circe is also athletic and loves to swim, run and exercise.
Although Circe grew up around a variety of talented colonizers, she became a doctor and the colonists' field medic, though not everyone in the colony respected this skill. Her own mother, an ecologist, disapproved, but ultimately allowed her daughter to forge her own path. A prodigy, Circe is capable of diagnosing the condition of a patient without directly observing the patient, a Seeker skill she unconsciously adopted from her Xatti father.
At 16 years old, Circe was given the option of opting out of the Xatti Trials due to being a "half-breed", as the Xatti would say, just like her older siblings did. They even recommended it. They would never be accepted, they reasoned. But the Trials were a rite of passage for coming-of-age Xatti, a test that challenged the mind, body, and soul, to give them a purpose, and a permanent place in their society. Her courageous and daring personality would not allow her to quit, and her naive hopefulness made her think she could be accepted if she passed. Having been taught by her Xatti father, she hoped her private tutilage would be enough.
Despite her strong personality, Circe developed PTSD after surviving her near-death experience during the Xatti Trials. Miraculously, she passed and was given the honorary title of Seeker, like her father before her. Not all were quick to accept her into their society, however.
Circe loved being a Seeker. Helping locals and learning their language. Until she was kidnapped on an assignment to a nearby town by a radical group of mercenaries for a local baron, who wanted to use her to send a message and set an example. Circe was dropped off at one of the system's sister planets, in completely unknown territory.
The following years were a blur of survival.
Two decades later, Circe had become one of Nexus' very own well-paid roughneck, part of a sub-class of highly skilled, but blue-collar contractors. She also smuggles on the side, specializing in luxury goods and ancient artifacts. A roguish exterior hides a heart of gold, and if not for the fact that everyone she loves thinks she is dead, she would have returned home and set up herself and her family for life. A regular at the Leaky Servo, and member of the Wayfarer's Guild, she received word of a new contract and went on her way.
Skills & Abilities​
Items & Gear​
  • Sight of the Xatti (racial trait): Extrasensory perception wherein some Xatti are bestowed with the ability to sense, feel, or perceive events, sensations, or thoughts and emotions from the past, present, future, or at locations not relative to them. May not be able to fully understand the information obtained. May not be able to obtain personal information. May be limited in the amount of information obtainable or have difficulty finding some information.
    • This ability may sometimes trickle down into the user's dreams, giving the user vivid, lucid dreams of the past, present, or future. The dreams may be symbolic, and surreal. The user may or may not be able to come to an understanding, depending on events that may or may not have already or have yet to transpire.
  • Rustic Hospitality
  • Medical Training
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Self-defense
  • Gunslinger
  • Pilot
  • Drowsy the Tranquilizer gun
  • Goodnight (Handgun)
  • Sweet Dreams (Blaster Rifle)
  • Nothing Personal (Vibrodagger)
  • Counting Sheep (Submachine gun)
  • Cloud 9 (Space ship)
    • Vault of relics, armaments, and gadgetry...
  • Tactical & resilient full-body suit
  • S.E.A: AI computer that is used to help on jobs; uses a proprietary algorithm to retrieve and order results on user inquiries to provide the most relevant and dependable sources of data possible from the Nexus. Given to her as well as each of her crew members by their tech. It can be used to scan, illuminate, detect, notify, and alert the user. SEA is also programmed to hack security systems to unlock automatic doors and kill security alarms.

chef's kiss Thank you for the submission, Nox!

Still a couple of days before I decide on which characters make it in. If you've been sneaking watches at this thread (I can see you) you still have time to submit a character!

To everyone who has already submitted: I have a pretty good idea of what my decision and/or discussions to settle a decision need to be. Still, I do want to stick to giving people the weekend to also submit. I'll update the slots and message anyone that is in or that I'm on the fence on to discuss any character concerns sometime Sunday morning (CT time zone).

Pretty excited to take us on this adventure. Hope you are too!

Still a couple of days before I decide on which characters make it in. If you've been sneaking watches at this thread (I can see you) you still have time to submit a character!

To everyone who has already submitted: I have a pretty good idea of what my decision and/or discussions to settle a decision need to be. Still, I do want to stick to giving people the weekend to also submit. I'll update the slots and message anyone that is in or that I'm on the fence on to discuss any character concerns sometime Sunday morning (CT time zone).

Pretty excited to take us on this adventure. Hope you are too!
Sounds good! I'm really looking forward to this^^

Back