Ranger, Fighter, or Mage?

I'd say mage. They have the highest upper limit if one at all, as opposed to fighters and rangers who are typically limited by their physical form.

I'd also say Mage- They have the reach and possible stealth of a Ranger and the might (if not more) of the fighter!

They are all worthy classes but if I had to choose I think Mages are certainly the most powerful. The bad guys always end up being evil high-power wizards it feels like. Rangers are certainly a second for me though, since some can talk to animals and track in extreme conditions. They have skills that mages don't.

I play videogames a lot, so I'd say Ranger. In videogames, mages take a bit too long until they become useful. In Skyrim, starting spells are so weak and in DA:I, the useful spells come later. As for ranger, I like being that guy at the back supporting the team. And my skills are more useful from the get-go and only gets better as you go on. Fighter isn't for me since I have to get super close and end up being super vulnerable, also I'm a wuss.

I remember once in DND I made a close range manly Mage, some 6'6 monster who used magic but still smashed his opponents with his staff/club when they annoyed him.

It would depend on my character's backstory. Like I am doing a barbarian/fighter playthrough on skyrim special edition but on my oldrim game I am playing a cleric/paladin. So really I would need more context. But overall, my first D&D character was a ranger so I have a soft spot for rangers.

In most games you play that have defensive magic said magic is stronger than even armor

Been playing a lot of old school CRPGs lately (Baldur's Gate I and II: EE, IWD:EE) and basically it's just a question of early-game dominance vs late-game power bursts. If we're talking power-meta then Mages all the way, and if you can have an option to have warrior skills complement your arcane nature, then that's ideally the best. There's a reason why Kensai/Mage (Baldur's Gate) and Arcane Warrior/Battle Mage (DA:O) are considered to be the best classes.

Since you don't specify the game of system I'm going to assume generally here.

Mage wins most often, due to their sheer amount of powers they have. In a tabletop game like D&D they simply have the answer to more problems than any other class can dream of. The only edition of it not to have this problem is 4th, who converted all spells into methods of damage.

Fighter wins when it comes to tests of Endurance or long hauls. The further you need to go without regaining supplies, mana, spells per day etc the stronger the Fighter get's because it's stuff can be used consistently and reliably.

And Ranger generally comes in last, because it often end ups being a jack of all trades, master of none sort of deal. That being said in games that rely just as much on problem solving as combat Rangers tend to beat Fighters due to the higher amount of skills they tend to have. They still fail to Mages though if they have any sort of Enchantment spell.

Mage, due to the fact that they differ from one GM/story to an another, with them never being the same. This leads to them being the least generic out of the three, as rogues are quite obvious, same for fighters... Though I guess it depends on what fighters we are talking about, generic small warships in sci-fi that are called fighters or the class in generic fantasy games.
Sure, my mind is unable to comprehend the mages so I tend to stick to paladins, blackguards and fighters when I play DnD and such.

Ps. I am sorry if I used the word 'generic' too often.

I am kind of split between mage and fighter.... I have always found the concept of magic interesting. But, I have always been a sucker for swords.

Ranger, sure, mages may be all *pewpew fireballs!* and are practically better in most ways, but a ranger is simply more... Interesting. It all kinda depends on the universe too so..

Rangers would typically be more athletic that mages, and should be more capable and adaptive in situations, so I like them :)

Context is necessary for this question to hold any real meaning.

As it stands however, assuming mages are the only ones using magic, then they have no theoretical upper limit because magic is limitless unless otherwise defined. Ergo, with no context beyond common story cliches, mages.

So I'm leaning towards a mage. For rpgs and mmorpgs that I've done, I like the mage play style where they can indeed deal massive amounts of damage, but the support spells for parties are absolutely necessary. In my humble opinion!

Kind of in the background of things, it's fun coming up with lore about spells. This is purely for the writing rpg mediums. I find myself caught up in not only describing spells that are influenced from established ones, but also thinking about how they came into creation. Either through artificial or natural means.

Anyway, enough of my spewage. Just to mitigate my obvious bias, rangers/rogues are always fun to play! Especially as assassin-like characters. Hehehe...

Being a huge RPG fan, I'll have to agree with the majority and go with the mage as well. It's just always been the first thing I'll go for and has never let me down...except for Dark Souls 3 because I suck at that game...

Almost all mages? @LadyDovahkiin @Persona @Nilum @Enki @Pokc @theuman @Gwazi Magnum @Moonbloom @the_miserable
But I am willing to bet, that, if instead of ranger, it was power ranger, the results MAY(And that's not a bet anymore) have been different.
And who says fighters have limited potential of growth. Look at street fighter. There's a Goku in there in making.

So, mages are last for me. I mean they don't get any points for nostalgia from me. Forgettable class. Meh!
Harry Potter ??(Maybe)
So,A=B=C I guess. :emoji_thumbsup:

Back