Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Ra'shak Village

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Tiko

Leonis and the Mira hunting party made their way back to the Mira village without further incident, though more than a few had cast wary glances over their shoulders at the thick plumes of smoke and fire that had tore through the jungle in their wake. They were clear of the worst of the heat that wafted through the jungle as they traveled upwind from the area of the bombing, but even from here the destructive nature of the run was clearly apparent.

They Mira were apt to traveling in small scattered groups and frequently left little trail for pursuers to be led back to their villages and today was no different as extra care was taken to cover their tracks and to ensure they did not betray their tribe with a careless misstep.

Meanwhile back at the village dozens of men, women and children had gathered outside of shanty shacks and tree-houses with watchful looks and mutterings among one another. They had all heard the jets fly by overhead before the sounds of the napalm bombing had shook the rainforest, and their words of conversation seemed caught between wishes to stay and await the returning hunting party, or to move out. Without a clan second in Shief Leonis' absence, there was some confusion over who should make the call.

Fortunately the decision would be stayed as signal whistles broke out from the surrounding wood. In their homeland of Aelora such measures were ingrained into every Mira until they were second nature, and each whistle had a distinctive meaning; the system of communication almost serving as a language of its own. The Mira were a semi-nomadic people and with dozens of villages scattered through the rainforest, an early warning was all that was needed for the Mira to have a village evacuated and the tribe moving on to another before it could be taken by the void that had once served as enemy. These days their enemy came in a different shape and form - but old lessons remained strong.

Today though the whistles were not a warning, but rather they served as an announcement of the hunting party's arrival. It would be another fifteen or twenty minutes yet before the returning Mira reached the village and the uneasy bantering shifted to speculations of just what had transpired out there in the jungle while small groups of excited children exchanged bets and declarations of just how many of the human aliens their favorite hunters had no doubt slain. Of course a child's imagination and reality were not often hand in hand, and on this day it would seem there were no casualties to be spoken of for either Mira, or the ever encroaching Aschen.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script

Having arrived back at the village only shortly before, Ryth and the warrior with him had already been subject to questions regarding the conflict with the humans. Most seemed relieved when he said that there had been no casualties on either side to his knowledge, but there were those who were disappointed that the Aschen had not been slain. The whistle had already been sounded, though, and so many had been content to wait for the Shief's return rather than bother the young Shamana for a debriefing.

Indeed it was a matter of minutes before the hunting party returned. Ryth had waited at the entrance to the village, anxiety well hidden beneath a mask of perfect calm. It wasn't that he doubted the others' ability to survive, far from it, but the few years he had spent in the Forest of the Fall had taught him that even the most capable of warriors could be slain. These Aschen were far from the persistent threat that their homeland's denizens had been, but they had strong weapons and flight machines - they were dangerous in their own right.

as written by Tiko

Leonis' return was met with the clammer of voices as several of the veteran warriors gathered to exchange words with their Shief. The exchange was brief as those gathered shook their heads at whatever news Leonis had provided them before they moved off to spread word through the village.

Grunting gruffly, Leonis slung his great axe over his shoulder as he made his way through the gathered tribes-people.

"We're leaving tonight," he informed them.

This village was too close to the encroaching Aschen patrols for his taste and it was time to press on deeper into the jungle. Nightfall would give time enough for Tapu to return.

He didn't linger to discuss the matter further as he and a trio of others made their way through the gathered Mira to discuss further action in the privacy of the Shief's hut.

as written by Tiko

Some time later...

Inside the hut several of the veteran Mira were engaged in discussion over the days events.

"They grow bolder by the day," Magi growled. "We must make a stand."

"Our numbers are few," Cheke interrupted. "The split in the clan when we left Aelora has yet to be mended. We cannot afford a direct confrontation."

There was the sound of a fist hitting a table that was audible enough that even the pair of eavesdroppers could hear the pounding of wood.

"We are Mira," Magi bit back. "We do not fear our enemies, and we do not bow even under threat of death or extinction. It is better that we die as warriors with our pride intact than to live in fear as cowards."

"Be at ease Magi," Leonis tempered voice rose. "The Mira will stand strong as they always have, and we will face these enemies as we have those that came before them. But there is wisdom too in Cheke's words. Pride alone will win us nothing. We will strike back in a place of our time and choosing.

There were murmurs of agreement behind Magi's more vocal outburst.

"The Shamana will seek council from the spirits tonight, and tomorrow we will begin preparations," Leonis continued.

"And what of Kahl. Will he fight again?" another of the warriors inquired.

"I do not yet know. He was taken to Naia. If his injuries can be mended, it will be she who can do so."

The conversation trailed off after a time as the gathered warriors of the tribe discussed options for relocation and strategies for this new threat they must face.

as written by Script

Elsewhere in the village...

The scene inside the Shamana's hut was, in a word, cluttered. It combined all the untidiness of a ten year old with the seemingly endless paraphernalia of a shaman. Totems and charms dangled from the ceilings and on the walls in their dozens, haphazardly arranged in patterns that may or may not have had special significance. A few plain and unremarkable cots were situated to one side of the room, complete with rough fur blankets. A few rugs of animal skin were laid out on the ground, and a number of skulls, bones and other such symbols were laid out both on surfaces and scattered sparsely on the floor like a particularly morbid playroom.

The girl had been laid onto one of the cots, and the Shamana stood over her (well, just about level with her unless he propped himself up a bit) administering care. A quickly mixed-together balm had been rubbed onto the small scratches where the thorns had pierced her skin, and a vile-tasting vibrant blue concoction coaxed down her throat. She lay fully unconscious, now, the visions long-since quelled though her sleep would remain fitful and plagued by vivid dreams.

"I've done all I can for her," Ryth said finally as he administered the last of the balm. The child-shamana stepped back from the cot and turned to face the blonde human, Lerot, "There was a lot of toxin in her blood. The antidote will help her survive it, but she might still die. It's in the spirits' hands now."

as written by Script

The black-furred young Mira paced across the room to fiddle with one of the totems strewn on a tabletop, running a string through a loop on it. "So who are you, anyway? Both of you. Makya and Tapu didn't tell me much before they went to talk to the Shief. Why are you here?"

as written by Architect

Lerot sat on a small stool beside the cot the woman lied on. He gave a quick glance in her direction between turning to answer the big black cat's question.

"Well um," He stammered as he thought of what to say. "I'm Lerot, I'm from Aslund, the Icy Peaks. I'm a studying Mage under the tutelage of The Sacred Fulmen. I came to this jungle to study anything that I may find. As for..."

The young man gave a nod to the unconscious woman.

"her, you know as much as I do. I've never seen her before in my life."

as written by Script

"Lerot," Ryth nodded, "I'm Ryth, but most people just call me Shamana." It might have seemed odd to Lerot for a child as young as Ryth to possess such a title - the black-furred Mira still possessed cub-like features, making his age readily apparent.

He paused in thought for a moment, "Those are the mountains where the Elysian Vanguard are, aren't they?" he asked, "Have you met them?"

as written by Architect

"Lerot," Ryth nodded, "I'm Ryth, but most people just call me Shamana." It might have seemed odd to Lerot for a child as young as Ryth to possess such a title - the black-furred Mira still possessed cub-like features, making his age readily apparent.

He paused in thought for a moment, "Those are the mountains where the Patronus are, aren't they?" he asked, "Have you met them?"

as written by Script

Ryth nodded his head absently. "What does your order do?" he asked, "Search for knowledge? Is that why you're studying the jungle here?"

He looked up from his totem, "Have you been to any of the other settlements yet? Or met any other humans?"

as written by Architect...

Lerot shook his head. "My uh...My order is no longer existent in this world. There was....an accident. I was the only one who survived. What I do now is just learn as much as I can, and do whatever it is Fulmen commands so long as it is not impossible. As for other humans, if you're referring to meeting any here in this jungle, aside from this woman here the only others that I've met were those crazy soldiers."

as written by Script

"Oh, that's awful. I'm sorry. I thought that the Sacred Fulmen was the name of your order." Ryth scratched at his fur with an apologetic grimace for having brought up bad memories. "Is Fulmen a person, then? Or... a spirit?"

Makya had mentioned the soldiers, that they had shot at each other as well as at him and the others. He wasn't sure what to think of that - why would there be two forces of soldiers in the jungle of all places?

as written by Architect

"Fulmen is...." Lerot hesitated, swirling his hands in the air as he tried to think up the words. "Fulmen is an impossibility to describe. She is a lot of things, but one thing. It's not the easiest to explain, believe me you're better off not knowing."

as written by Sentry

She remembered muffled voices in her sleep. Floating in a dark space, she wondered what those voices were trying to say. Fuzzily, the young woman tried to move, but her body...she couldn't even twitch her fingers. Panic began to arise, but it died down as quickly. Another voice spoke aside from those that were muffled.

What does it matter?

She felt a light breeze against her skin, sweaty as it had been before. There was a weight to all her limbs. A numbness that had been present for a while began to fade.

He is lost.

Little things became apparent to her. A rhythmic beat. Buh-boom, buh-boom. A hum. A light.

Just die.

Her eyelids shot open, the world rushing to her in a shock. She took in a sharp, short breath, urging herself to sit up immediately. Her hands grasped the edge of the cot, hair flying over her face.

as written by Architect

Lerot snored quietly with his head tilted back at an angle that would no doubt leave his neck aching. His body slouched against the back of the chair and his feet were kicked up onto a small table.

"...mrhmmm it was nice meeting you Lark... but I can't bring you with me..." Mumbling in his sleep, Lerot had yet to even notice that the woman in the cot beside him had awaken.

"No..."

as written by Script

Ryth on the other hand had the sharp senses of a Mira, and the sharp gasp was enough to rouse him from his slumber. The Mira youth blinked sleep out of his eyes, quickly forcing himself into a state of alertness and rising to his feet to walk across to where Jurai had jolted upright.

"It's okay, don't be scared." he said reassuringly, doing his best to not startle her by his appearance. He was glad that none of the others from his clan were here - humans had a tendency to be frightened of the appearance of a fully grown Mira. Hopefully his stature would alleviate that. "You're safe. You were poisoned by a plant in the jungle, but others from my clan brought you here, and another man."

as written by Tiko

As if right on cue, none other than Tapu himself poked his head into the hut. The burly Mira was large even by his peoples standards, and he had a rather imposing stature.

"The human's awake, eh?" he asked. "Well, one of them anyways..." he added with a quirky grin at Lerot who was mumbling in his sleep.

Stooping he stepped through the doorway of the hut to join the others inside.

"Tough as a Mira cub, that one," he added with an approving nod to Jurai.

as written by Sentry

Jurai's head turned sharply toward Ryth as he spoke, eyes half-lidded in her grogginess, but filled with the same confusion. Her chest rose and fell with heavy breathing. She swiped her sleeve against her brow. "Where..." She let her eyes come to Lerot, then back to Ryth.

"What...are..."

And, before she was even able to continue, Tapu poked in his head. She froze, at first unsure of what to do in her situation. She was able to tear her eyes away from Tapu long enough to look at her surroundings. Her weapons weren't anywhere nearby. What in the world was she to do? What were these things in front of her? And...

"...I'm twenty-two. I'm not a cub."

as written by Architect

"Fulmen Wait-" Lerot's head snapped forward like a whip, the mage's balance immediately thrown off. He flailed his arms for a moment before the chair fell out from under him.

"ow...." he mumbled as he pushed himself back onto his feet. He looked around and notice Tapu's reappearance, and...

"Oh you're awake!" Lerot smiled at the young woman. "How're you feeling? Nasty bit of poison that got into you, not that I'm pretending to have any idea what exactly it was."

as written by Tiko

Tapu's grin widened at Jurai. "You've never seen our cubs," he told her with a wink.

"Come on Ryth, got something for you to do," Tapu said with a nod towards the door. "They'll be fine for now."

With Tapu and Ryth heading out, Lerot and Jurai were left to the small hut by themselves.

Back