Ready or Not

Curiosity killed the cat, the saying goes, but satisfaction brought it back. Celesse wasn’t satisfied with his answer. But when was she ever? The tiger was an ex-everything and anything related to the army and military under the sun. She pursed her lips as she rested her hands behind her head, cradling her skull against the surrounding pillows. Watching Benjamin take into account of everything related to the ‘X’ case. She let out a sigh, “Well, you really are a tiger. You keep details of everything I’ve said. You get an A+.” She teased.

However, her interest piqued at the mention of his first week working at SIB. His first case and… ‘An anonymous caller?’ It was her turn to be surprised. Her right brow arched, bringing herself to sit upright. She looked at Benjamin, “Hate to break it to you, Ben, but that wasn’t my doing. I was too busy looking at your tinder profile. You know you never matched with me.” She joked for a moment, only to get serious the next. “Werewolf, you said?” She stroked her non-existent beard, her eyes darting back and forth as if she were sifting through remnants of memories. Then, she looked back at Benjamin, her brow furrowing, “I think I might have an idea of who your murderer is… but because of laws. I can’t say who.” She pointed at him, “I can say. However, if a werewolf is dead, you can bet it’s likely a vampire you’re looking for. Since Ulrich’s, the new boss for SIB, he could be covering for them.”

“You know, you ever wonder why they hired you at SIB? I might not be a Detective…or a law-abider.” She gave a smirk, “But I do know, no mortals have ever worked at SIB. Won’t be surprised if Ulrich did it to just… fuck with you. Demons aren’t exactly known for their charity-giving to Humans.” She said, laying herself back into the plush of the pillows.

She fell silent, thinking to herself about this anonymous caller. Could it be the same one that warned her about Benjamin’s ex-girlfriend at SIB? What game were they exactly playing? Were questions she wished she could get answers for. Yet, like the tiger, she remained largely in the dark about it, too. “Mr Benjamin, let me just tell you now because I have a feeling things are only going to get worse after this. Your anonymous caller might’ve been related to me. You know when I found you in the bathroom at SIB? Maria told me about it. I don’t know if you believe me about Maria being a long-time friend of your parents, but she was the one that told me about your ex-girlfriend coming for your heart, literally.” She said it nonchalantly. The experience was likely traumatizing for Benjamin.

Benjamin wasn't happy with how quickly the conversation was moving on - he had so many more questions for Celesse. What was her job as 'X', exactly? Assassin? He understood that life. He had been a sniper in the army. His team would be given their target, clear the location, post up in the highest building they could find, and he would fire away. But X seemed to work for both sides of the war. Or any side, really. The murders connected with the file were prolific. And now that she had admitted her true identity to him... what was it that she needed from him? She hadn't saved his life simply out of the goodness of her heart. Would she kill him once she had whatever she needed? Surely she knew, he wouldn't go down without a fight. Clearly he would lose that battle, but he'd at least make her remember him.

He frowned as Celesse's expression changed at the mention of the anonymous caller, his grip on his folded arms growing tighter. "With all this information, they should have hired you to the SIB," he said dryly, uncomfortable with the thought that he was merely Ulrich's plaything. Could that really be all this was...? His invitation into the world of the supernatural was just the punchline in a demon's joke? That kind of abuse of power made Benjamin furious, though he was glad these events were happening to him and not some other poor, unknowing sap. Someone who had a family, loved ones who were being left behind or put in danger. His mind was churning, seeking out the potential for justice against the foul demon and that wretched, twisted vampiress. Her experience told him Benjamin was not the first mortal she had toyed with.

He was quiet for another moment at Celesse's final revelation, pulled from his thoughts of equity at the mention again of this woman, Maria, and his parents. His fingers ran across his lower jaw, feeling the rough day's growth of stubble trying to poke through his skin. "Now this you owe me answers for," he said, pushing himself off the wall and coming to stand by the bed. "What do you know about my parents? What did you do, read my file?" he asked, having assumed as much. Someone had made the files on Celesse and Sicarius disappear from the SIB, and he was sure the woman laying on the bed before him had the vested interest to make that happen. Which also meant she surely had the capability to get her hands on his own file. Not that there was anything to hide there - just details of his military history, the incident that had led to his discharge, and, of course... his family history. His parents, his brother. Nothing to hide, but personal information, no less. "And why does she care?" he growled, meaning Maria. "I don't know that woman. I've never seen her in my life. If she wanted to lend a hand, there's a dozen times prior to this where she could have done something about the events in my life," he frowned, pacing now with his bottled frustration. He was surprised to find he was angry with the matriarchal werewolf. He honestly could care less whether or not she had intervened in his life previously. But to do so now... well, that just felt like a slap in the face. These supernatural creatures, always showing up when it was most convenient for them and then expecting to be praised for it.

"What do you know about the anonymous caller?" Benjamin switched tracks, stopping again at Celesse's bedside to look down at her. "What kind of person - or creature - would be interested in tipping off the SIB about the murder of a werewolf and want to let you know about the torture and eventual execution of a mortal?" It was odd to talk about himself that way. He could still feel what it was like to have that bloodsucker's fingers running across the inside of his ribs. Benjamin pulled a chair over from the small desk in the corner and set it up with the back towards Celesse's bed. He sank down into the seat backwards, one arm folded loosely over the backrest of the chair and his other hand propping his head up as he watched the shapeshifter before him. "Does this person have a vendetta against vampires, assuming it was a vampire that killed the werewolf in that alley?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Celesse looked to Benjamin, a wink sent his way in a remark of being hired at SIB. “I like to be my own boss, Benjamin. Surly even you can understand the frustration of having to answer to anyone higher on the food chain.” She spoke figuratively but meant it literally. Mortals and Supernaturals could coexist peacefully because of their governments working together, worldwide. Here in the states—and like the American’s government wanting to keep everyone and everything out—it was a clear divide with rules and laws being in placed. Supernaturals kept to themselves mostly, but on the rare case if a mortal and supernatural mated… well, let’s just say they never met their happy ending.

“Shoot.” She said to Benjamin as he came beside the bed. Shooting off questions to the wrong person. Despite her mentioning his parents and Maria, there was nothing else she knew of his familial history aside from what was in his profile and from Maria’s own mouth. But the mention of him not knowing her…? He would have to ask a distressed matriarchal werewolf these questions. Watching the mortal pace in frustration to his own questions. Of course who wouldn’t be angry at someone popping into your life unexpectedly?

“I don’t.” She retorts, letting out a brief sigh to look at her bland nails. The shapeshifter already missing her last form. It took too much time to build her reputation around that one face. Now she would have to start from scratch. Celesse was smooth at indirectly answering his questioning. It was easy-to-read anyone’s file, their government spied on all their citizens—whether or not they knew it. “Well, I know one thing, Benjamin. You’re asking the right questions to the wrong person.”

Celesse shrugs her shoulders, “I know nothing about the caller, but I suspect there’s a game in motion… kinda like chess.” From what she gathered of the restless tiger, he didn’t like games, much less playing them. For Celesse? Well, when things get dull, it’s easier to sharpen it. “By mortal, I’m going to be assuming you within the 5-meter radius.” She looks up at him, “How are you so sure you’re going to die so soon?” She tilted her head at him. Watching him pull up the chair and sink into it, she raised an eyebrow at the ex-soldier.

She hums to his next question. As simple as it was. It was much more complicated than mortal politics. “Like I said, they’re likely playing a game with everyone, including you.” She spoke nonchalantly, watching the Agent’s expressions with mild interest. As a mortal, she could guess it would be mental torture to keep playing games and never having a direct answer to simple questions. As for any supernatural, such as herself, life got boring, and the mortals made advancements in every aspect to make everything that much easier for them and her kind. Playing games—mind or physical—was something Celesse liked to play. Living as long as she had, she was rarely surprised at anything that happened to her.

“Whatever reason, this ‘caller’ wanted to keep everyone in the knowledge of not having knowledge. I can say that… I like their style.” She smiled. “…I mean, games are right up my alley, figured you’ve already figured that out about me. While we’re discussing vendettas, vampires, and werewolves… was there anything you wanted to ask me about being a supernatural? I think it’s worthwhile for you to have some knowledge about how to pick ‘em out or whatever else you want to know.”

As usual, Benjamin found Celesse's answers less than helpful. It was nice to have a soundingboard, though, someone to talk at while his mind turned in circles trying to sort out the confusing mess of puzzle pieces that had been shoved into his lap. Somehow the picture needed to come together, but at the moment none of the pieces seemed to fit. At her first question he waved his hand dismissively, turning his head to the side and running his fingernails against the grain of his day-old stubble. "I'm talking about the past, that mess with the vampires in the bathroom at SIB headquarters," he sighed, his fingers now running up his face to press into his temples. He was trying to think of too many things at once. Could the answer really be that complicated? Well, he supposed since he was dealing with centuries-old creatures, yes it could be.

It was an insane notion, that these supernatural creatures were simply playing a game. As a mortal you were taught life was so precious, so fragile and so fleeting. But apparently as soon as it stopped being such, these undying creatures began to leverage their lives against one another just to... what? Stave off boredom? At least Benjamin felt like he understood his place in all of this now. Like a stuffed mouse dangling from a string in front of a house cat - he was just a new toy. A brand new pawn on the chess board.

"Alright," Benjamin heaved a sigh, pushing the clutter from his mind and refocusing on Celesse as she gave him the opportunity to ask a new slew of questions. "What is it that the factions want? Obviously they're enjoying their game or whatever, but what's the prize for winning? More turf? More... wealth? Fame?" he guessed with a shrug. "What I was told at the SIB is that it's within both the mortal and the supernatural worlds' best interest that there is peace between the two, but obviously there is something important enough to risk war between the factions," he said, focusing on Celesse again. Surely this wasn't the first time in the thousands of years of supernatural history that something like this was happening.

Reactions: Dan
“Like why did they tip off SIB and the Vampires?” Celesse tilted her head at him, confused herself. “Or why I showed up?” She retorts back. Deciding to dismiss it entirely, she moved onto his next questions. Letting a smirk loose as he heaved a sigh. She cocked her head at him, absurd at the idea of obtaining more wealth than they already had. How does one explain a rivalry yet enemy longer than a thousand years?

“What they want?” She shrugs her shoulders; she knew as much as the next mortal did—akin next to nothing. Celesse was an assassin for hire. She didn’t care about politics, much less the people vying to control factions of land like ancient times. She listened to the finality of his other questions before looking at him with more shrugs. “I don’t know what they want, but I know what I want… and it’s not another war. Frankly, the last war I participated in was World War II and we all know how that shaped the world for everyone.” Celesse was honest. Anytime there was a war brewing, she left like fog on an autumn afternoon. When she was younger, she had all the motivation and determination to do better and hope for a better world, but it died down when her heart died.

“The prize for winning? My, Benjamin, you really think there’s going to be a reward for a war between supernaturals?” She chuckled bitterly, “The only prize would be a bloodbath. I can see the Vampires opting for this outcome to benefit their own within Seattle’s limits. As for fame? You really think supernaturals care for fame?” Celesse thought back on it “Eh… well, maybe Vlad cares for fame—you know him as Dracula. Other supernaturals from my knowledge know what kind of fame brings to our kind.”

Well, there was one thing SIB taught this ex-soldier. It is in the best interest of both the worlds to co-exist within one another. “There is something important to risk a war between the factions.” Celesse murmured low, unsure if he heard her. Something happened between Benjamin and Lucian. She wasn’t getting anywhere with Benjamin and enemies kept popping up like weeds before another ‘talk’ like this came down again. Celesse mulled the thought of leaving over in her mind, it wasn’t too far-fetched she could get the answers from Lucian, surly he knew more about it than a lonely ex-soldier with a pessimistic outlook on the world.

The thought of living in the Caribbean sounded nice, swaying between two palm trees and perhaps a margarita in her hand. She’s been living in Seattle for ten years or fewer now. Normally, she stayed in one place for two to five years max. Things were complicated for her, but leaving was always an option. She looked to Benjamin, “Well, I will admit one thing, Benjamin. If a war breaks out, I will leave Seattle. Perhaps sooner than expected.”

Back