Open Realm of the Yama Kings

Valen

I cannot tell you the truth behind the end of the world when it came, for I was not there.

I have read stories though, stories from those who claimed to have seen the end with their own eyes. Accounts from those who were there when death came for them, and they committed what they could in hurried scribblings before they left this mortal coil.

They speak of the hubris of humanity. Of one in particular, a woman by the name of Fan Lang-Wung. It is said that she approached the Lord of Diyu, King Yen, with a proposition.

“Grant me immortality,” she asked of the ruler of the underworld.

“In return for eternal life, I will do what you cannot. I possess the key to the portal of Yinjian, the Land of Shade. I will unlock the portal. The Yama Kings and the spirits you control will be free to walk the realm of mortals.”

Intrigued by the woman’s temerity to attempt to bargain with the Lord of the Dead, King Yen granted the woman her wish even as she unlocked the door to Yinjian, though perhaps not in the way that she desired. Even now, Fan Lang-Wung dwells as a permanent resident on top of the Mountain of Knives, her agonised screams an example of what happens to those who dare to try and bargain with the King of the Underworld.

On the night of Dongzhi, the seals between the mortal and spirit realms were shattered through Fan Lang-Wung’s folly. Through the breach came King Yen, and with him came the dreadful entities known as the Yama Kings, accompanied by the spirits of the dead and the damned. The empty, soulless cadavers known as the Jiangshi came through, and with them came the spirits of greed, the E Gui, and the ghosts of the Jian amongst other fell spirits and demons. In a single night, humanity fell as the spirit world mercilessly and completely subjugated the unprepared mortals, brutally slaying all those who did not flee the cataclysm.

Hundreds of years have passed since the coming of King Yen and his Yama Kings. In that time, cities and towns alike have fallen into decaying ruin. Demons and spirits wander the surface world openly, and while there are still isolated pockets of humanity cowering within the shadows of dilapidated skyscrapers and amidst the skeletal remnants of once proud and majestic stone buildings, organised society has long since dissipated into the ethereal void.

The age of mortalkind is gone. This world, and the underworld, have become as one, partitioned neatly between the ten Yama Kings. Ghostly spirits roam both the over and the underworld, callously murdering all living beings that they come across in the name of their merciless masters.

Sitting over them all, King Yen watches his subjects and minions in amusement as his hungry gaze turns upwards towards the Celestial Heaven......
Hello everyone, I have been absent for a while having to deal with some personal issues of my own, but I am looking to get back into role-playing again and offer you this — a post apocalyptic road trip adventure with supernatural and horror elements.

In terms of the role-play itself, each characters will know each other prior to the start. You will all begin as part of an enclave in the shattered city of Tsau-Tien. Given the world is overrun by marauding spirits, life is certainly hard, but you have so far been able to eke out a living despite everything working against you. You have lived amidst the ruins of Tsau-Tien all of your life — if there is a world beyond the skeletal ruins of the city, you certainly do not know of it. You will come to learn of a mystical place that lies outwith the grasp of King Yen and his Yama Kings, a place that you will have the chance to weigh up whether or not it is worth braving a trek across this terrible haunted realm to find.

Or perhaps that choice will be taken out of your hands......

In terms of myself, I will be playing the roles of several characters in the role-play who may (or may not depending on how events unfold) accompany you on this dangerous journey:-
  • Ai-Ling: A scarred, somewhat cowed young woman in her mid twenties who is defined by the scarring on her face

• Feng Luai: A spirited man in his thirties, he believes there to be more to life than this ceaseless struggle. He will not be cowed by his situation.
This role-play is set in an alternate reality version of China. Prior to the coming of King Yen and his minions, the world held a technology level similar to modern day Earth. Although technology has since been lost amidst the rise of the Yama Kings there are still modern day technology items available from scavenging, such as firearms etc, albeit vehicles will have long since ceased functioning. You will not start the game with these items but they may be available to find if you are lucky.

Magic and mysticism will play a part in this role-play but you will not begin play with these abilities, they will need to be discovered as the role-play progresses.

If you are interested in participating then I would like a CS with the following details:-

Name:
Appearance: Please include a face-claim as part of this please.
Personality: Provide me with a couple of paragraphs describing your characters personality. What motivates your character? What are their hopes/fears?
Backstory: I don’t need a novel for this. 2-3 paragraphs is more than sufficient although you can write more if you desire
Strengths and Weaknesses: Give me three traits your character is good at, and three weaknesses for your character.

If there are any questions or queries then please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Back