Rebels with a Cause

Di just nodded. It wasn't much different from her own home, and she could certainly understand the need to sell things in order to continue having the more important things. "I get it," She told him, eyeing the pink in his cheeks. "It isn't much different from my own house." She wasn't here to make him feel embarrassed and she could tell he was uncomfortable by her presence.

When the little girl ran up to Di, she transformed from a grumpy rebel to someone who could pass as a regular old teenager. She smiled down at the girl and squatted to her level. "I'm Di, and you're the first person I know whose ever called me pretty. We simply have to be friends now." She'd offer up her left hand, keeping the right jammed into her pocket.

The little girl giggle as she grabbed Di's offered hand with both of her small ones.
"Yeah!" She exclaimed happily "Best friends!"

Jasper couldn't help the small smile that crept up his face at the interaction as he headed to the kitchen, emptying the rice into a pot and filling it with water. He set it to boil on the stove before he heading back over to them. Nora noticed and bounced back over, still clinging to Di's hand.
"What did ya get Jaspy?"
The boy in question sighed, avoiding the little one's eyes.
"Just rice again, sorry Nora."
Nora pouted slightly but didn't complain. Her expression quickly flashed back to a grin when she turned back to Di, swinging her hand back and forth.
"Are you having dinner with us Di?"

Di smiled at the young child and let her hang onto her hand. While Jasper was gone, presumably getting dinner started for Nora and his mother, Di would offer to put the young girl's hair into a pretty braid, to keep it off her face while she ate.

There was a bit of a laugh from the older girl as she was dragged along and she smirked, just a tad, at the nickname from the younger child. At the question she shook her head, "Oh, no. I've already had dinner. I'm just here to visit for the evening. See, Jasper told me he had a little sister and I bet he doesn't play all the games that you want to play, because silly boys." She rolled her eyes for effect. "So, I thought I'd come over and give him a hand. After you've eaten, of course." She wouldn't look to Jasper, focusing only on the little girl. "Maybe you should wash up for dinner, though?" Now she did look to the older brother, in case he said differently.

Nora was ecstatic at the prospect of a play mate, pouting only slightly at being told to wash up. She looked to her older brother for confirmation and Jasper nodded over at her.
"Go wash up Nora and give Mum and a wet cloth too."
Jasper proceeded to check the rice before dishing up two bowls, making sure there was enough in both before he filled a third with what was left. With a hesitant glance at Di he picked up one of the bowls and headed into the other room, just as Nora sprinted back in with newly washed hands and face.
The little girl skipped happily back over to Di grabbing her hands and pulling her over to the mat on the floor.
"We eat here," She indicated as she plonked herself down, "What can we play later?"

Jasper made his way back into the room, now empty handed before grabbing the other two bowls and coming over, offering the larger one to his sister.
"Eat up Nora."
She grabbed it happily eager to finish dinner and play.

While Nora went to wash up and Jasper finished cooking the rice, Di peeked out the windows dropping the blinds slightly. She could see Virgil standing out there, pouting a little, and she smiled. She could see nothing down the road, everything looking good for the time being. She kept the hand with the broken finger in her pocket, but allowed herself to be dragged aside by Nora.

She sat beside her, crossing her legs and smiling. "Well, we could play hide and seek, or anything you want." She reached over and pulled aside stray hair to prevent it from getting in her food. "You tell me, Nora."

Back