The Last Bastion: Bunker Chicago (Recruiting Area) Red Star - Meditations

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
((Read This First.))

Red Star – Meditations

There was much in the way of noise going on outside. Most of the bunker’s attention was drawn to The Coalition, and The Old Guard. The listeners were drawn perhaps to the Children of Eve. Yet, in an oddly quiet part of the bunker, a single structure stood—inhabited mostly by immigrants from other colonies, and foreign lands. Those who passed it by would note the smell of incense—or, at least, a convincing enough, cheaper proxy for it. Those curious enough to enter would see a single man, of Asian heritage. He sat alone, his eyes closed, meditating in front of a large idol of a long forgotten god, just a little larger than himself.

At his side, a shotgun rested on the floor. Around the idol, candles burned as the only source of light for the room. “You are welcome to join me, if you wish.” The man’s voice held a thick, foreign accent to it. He was not just a foreigner to this colony, he was likely a foreigner to the entire continent.

There were rumours that there was one last, hidden faction. Could this person be one of its members?

Yu Mao - Homecoming

Yu stood in the doorway, a large canvas bag slung over her shoulder, and a smile on her face. She quietly walks over to where the man is meditating, and gently sets down the heavy bag. Trying her best to not disturb him, she would sit next to him, and begin to meditate herself. Her breathing slow and rhythmic, she would silently sit next to the man and relax. The scent of the burning incense filling her, reminding her of home.

After a few moments of silence, she would finally break it. "[Chinese] Hello Morai, it is good to be back, and you are looking good." The language she spoke would be completely foreign to any of the locals and her voice was soft and quiet, like a gentle breeze blowing against a set of chimes.

Last edited:
Morai stirs from his meditation long enough to look over at Yu. There was sweat running down his face, and it looked to permeate his hands--he was fighting his addictions. He nods, politely, and closes his eyes. A moment of silence passes between them, before he takes a deep breath, and replies. "[Chinese] Pin is dead. I've started to infiltrate The Old Guard and gain their trust. I have had to take more combat drugs than is usual lately. The Children of Adam and Eve have... Returned." He listens for anyone else who may enter, ensuring that they would not be caught having lengthy conversations on controversial matters--even if it was in another language.

Yu shifted her gaze away from Morai and towards the ground in front of her. This was a lot to process. The death of a friend, Morai's worsening condition, and the return of The Children. Without turning to face Morai, she spoke. "[Chinese] I.... I am sorry. I should have been here. Been here for Pin. Been here for you." Yu's usually soft voice was tainted with guilt, shame, and fear. "[Chinese] How can we deal with the Children? We barely managed to push them back the first time, and we don't have the resources to launch another attack like that."

"[Chinese] We use those who live here. Though, that presents a few new problems... Too many to go over now." He takes a deep breath, and opens his eyes. He looks out at the figure in front of him. "[English] I do not know, anymore. There is not nearly as much certainty as there was before. Still, you wish to join our next mission, [Chinese] friend?"

Yu looked up at Morai, meeting his eyes with hers. "[Chinese] Like I said Morai, I am here for you now. When do we move out?" Her voice was still a little shaky. All that was on her mind now was the blood she had seen spilled in her life. Friends, family, and enemies. How much more blood would have to be shed before this was all over? How much longer until she had a place to call home?

"[Chinese] We move out tonight. Bring your weapons, and your wits." Morai takes a deep breath, and exhales slowly. "[Chinese] We will be fighting alongside The Old Guard this time. It will be their operation unless Wisdom gives us a new directive. Understand?"

Yu was slightly startled by the sudden appearance of Ozymandias. She locked eyes with him for a moment before finally responding to Morai in English. "I understand. I'll be in my room." She got up and grabbed her large duffle, slinging it over her shoulder before starting to make her way further into the building.

Morai nods, and lets Yu go. He then pats the floor to his left, as on his right his shotgun rested upon the floor. "Come, and sit with me Ozzy. I will explain what I can."

Offering a polite nod to Yu as she left, Ozzy sat next to Morai, unslinging his laser rifle and laying it next to him, just as he did the first time they met. He understood enough of the Red Star's organization to know better than to ask too many questions. "Is it time?" he asked quietly. "I was hoping to make a request before then."

"It is. We move out tonight, to aid The Old Guard... Wisdom will fill us in on the details of the operation as they become apparent." Morai states simply as he opens his eyes and looks over at Ozzy--not as a stranger, but as an equal. "What request do you have, brother?"

"I was wondering if you had anything better than this," Ozzy unholstered his pistol. "Considering our last venture, I think this may be rather insufficient to the task at hand. I was wondering if you had anything more powerful, preferably similarly sized, but I'll take whatever you can give me."

Morai's expression remains unchanged, though the look in his eyes implied he was thinking it over for a moment. He then nods thoughtfully, a hint of a smile momentarily crossing his face as he replies. "I have a couple items I can look over... You will see them tonight." He didn't even bother asking if Ozzy was coming on the mission, he merely assumed it.

Ozymandias nodded wordlessly and continued to sit by Morai's side in meditation. Now was the time to savor the calm before the storm, for there would be little time later for centering one's self.

Back