The Last Bastion: Bunker Chicago Red Star Debriefing: Ozymandias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
Red Star Debriefing: Ozymandias
(( @Grothnor & @Nilum ))​

Upon their escape into the sewer system, Ozymandias and the rest of Red Star rapidly make their way out to the edges of the city. There, a couple of jeeps await them, and take them in. After climbing inside, Ozzy would watch as they activated some sort of visual cloaking device. Imperfect—it merely refracted light—but sufficient so as to ensure that anyone looking from a long distance away wouldn’t be able to see them. As a bonus, he could see out through the jeep, even through the floor, but nothing could see him inside.

They slip back inside Bunker Chicago with ease through a hidden side entrance. They then make their way back to Morai’s apartment complex, where the locals seem to protect them all from being noticed. They enter the religious room, where he was meditating earlier. He pushes aside a large statue, and underneath it is a trap door. He knocks on it in a strangely musical pattern, and the trap door is opened through mechanical means—a hydraulic limb pushes it open. Morai motions for everyone to enter, and then enters himself.

Inside is a small concrete basement. When they finish entering, the trap door closes shut behind themselves, and Ozzy can hear a couple of the apartment’s residents pushing the statue back over the trap door. Inside this small basement is a large number of tools and a few computers and monitors—and something else. A small, metallic pod. Morai knocks on it and speaks up. “[Chinese] We are home, Wisdom.” The pod cracks open with a hiss, and Ozzy would watch as a small, pale looking woman falls out of it. She looked to be of a mixed heritage—not truly of the foreigner’s land that Morai was, but certainly not of Chicago’s stock either. She takes a deep breath as she rips a plug out of the back of her neck and then coughs, before looking up at Ozzy. A slender, smooth looking woman. Were it not for her being bald, she would in every way be objectively beautiful from a traditionally feminine standpoint... Yet, even then, there was a certain gentleness in her eyes. Something that screamed of an unmarred beauty in a place where scar tissue was the norm by the time someone reached their tenth trip around the sun.

“My name is Wisdom.” She spoke with an accent, like Morai’s, but her English seemed a little clearer. Perhaps she simply had more practice with it. “I am the leader of Red Star’s local cell here. I think we have questions for each other, do we not?” She stands up, and quietly reaches for a towel hanging off the side of the pod. She wraps it around herself to give herself some decency, and otherwise looks down at the ground, avoiding looking into anyone’s eyes.

As soon as he entered the safety of the concrete saferoom, Ozzy removed his helmet. His eyes locked upon Wisdom's pod the moment it hissed open, tracking her movements, scrutinizing the face behind the voice. Pleasant though it was, he was unfazed by her nudity. Her gaze, however....

He brought his eyes back to her once she wrapped herself. "Indeed," he replied, folding his arms and leaning against a table.

Wisdom glances about the room, watching as most of the others left for a small changing room. Most, save Morai, who stayed there to watch them. The longer Ozzymandias stayed there, the more he started to get the feeling that this was a simple basement that Red Star expanded on to suit their needs, rather than having been built by them in the first place. A few moments of silence follow, before Wisdom finally speaks--her tone giving away how quiet and exhausted she was. "Why did you disobey my order to shoot Carolyn?"

“Like I said, we don't need to fight everyone to get what we need. Ideally, we could negotiate a deal with the Old Guard and avoid bloodshed. Of course, if we cannot get what we want peacefully, we are in an advantageous position to cripple them. The closer we get with them, the easier it will be to stab them in the back, if need be.”

“I understand I handed our objective to our enemy, but I had no other choice. I was caught unaware in the standoff; we risked losing everything there, and I made do with what I had to make sure we came back, alive and with something to show for Pin's sacrifice.” I have much more to do before I die.

“Now, Morai mentioned you have intel on the Children of Eve.” He willed himself to look her in the eyes again. “Enlighten me.”

Wisdom glances past Ozzy to Morai, who nods in approval. It seemed she still wasn't entirely sold on trusting the stranger in their midst, but complied for Morai. "The Children of Eve have tried, repeatedly, to colonize places. To change the world into their own likeness. This is the first time I have seen them come this close to succeeding." She walks around the metallic pod she was in, getting behind it to change her towel out for some real clothes with a modicum of privacy. "They think of themselves as superior beings, and they are nothing like us. From what little I understand of biology, they appear to be comprised entirely of single celled organisms. I am still not entirely certain as to what they do, and had you kept that sample on the knife, I could have analyzed it... Nonetheless, no sense lamenting the past now."

She steps out from behind the pod, wearing some cheap looking, plain, tan-coloured wool shirt and pants. It's quite possible that either she, or someone else in the Red Star cell there, had sewed them just for her. Her eyes look at Ozzy in a cold, but curious sort of fashion. "Electrical weapons seem to stun them momentarily. Some of them, though not all of them, are afraid of fire. They are particularly strong and deadly in melee combat, and cannot be matched by any persons like yourself, or Morai. It is possible to overwhelm their defenses with concentrated fire from high calibre rounds. Theoretically, a sufficiently powerful laser blast could punch a hole straight through one. It should also be noted that they are weaker outside of the fog, and they have little in the way of long range options outside of using firearms themselves--but most do not seem proficient with them. Tactically, outside of the fog, surround them, stun them, and then finish them off with concentrated group fire. Inside the fog..." She glances at Morai, who merely, solemnly leaves the two of them alone to check on the rest of the squad. "... You pray."

Ozzy stared wide eyed into space, digesting what Wisdom had told him. “So soon...?” he murmured to himself, cracking a grim smile. “The wheel of time spins faster than I suspected.” He took a ragged breath to steady himself. In hushed but committed tones he asked, “They have tried before? How long ago? How many times?”

"On the West Coast, a year ago. There are signs they have tried elsewhere, but have not had the resources to succeed, or they were pushed out by local forces." Wisdom shrugs and shakes her head. "I do not have too much data about them." She steps over to her computer systems, and starts shutting them down. Likely to preserve power. "We stopped their attempt on the West Coast, but then, we caught it just as they had started. Besides that, something seemed... Wrong. They did not go after listeners like this, or infiltrate anything. That seems to be a new trick of theirs. I suspect, so long as their leaders--Adam and Eve--survive, they will continue these attempts." As she finishes shutting the machines down, her tone turns icy, and emotionless. "And we should kill them, if given the chance."

"We should not wait for such a chance, but make it. The Children pose a threat far greater than anyone realizes. When I first heard their message, I thought they were simply misguided, overzealous listeners, seeking to secure their own settlement." Ozzy's voice had risen, "Now, with what you've told me, I know they are the Great Enemy my Oracle spoke of. This is no longer a matter of 'targets of opportunity', this is a matter of survival, not just of your fleet, but of all mankind. They must be destroyed. My Faith demands it." He concluded with conviction.

Wisdom nods in agreement. "For the world, then." She steps back and places a hand on the metallic pod. Oddly, she whispers something in a foreign language to it--something Ozzy couldn't understand. She then glances over at Ozzy, her eyes cold, and distant. "Leave our armour here, and go back into the colony. Blend in with the locals. Return in two weeks, we will have something for you then. If we need you earlier than this, we will call you... Thank you, for your faith."

Ozymandias nodded and silently moved to the changing room. Though shaken by the revelations about the Children, he took solace in knowing that the Red Star understood the threat they all faced. One more step. One step closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back