Demon's Broken Promise Removed

TMITM

Megalomaniacal Arbiter
A humongous circular, domed, stone building with the entire history of Demons chiseled on it's walls and ceiling. There is a great deal of empty space, however, for telling stories that are to come.
The Caretaker lives here, a friendly soul who guards and cleans The Sanctuary, and offers knowledge to all who ask. His soul is bound to The Sanctuary as he chisels out history for all time. He cannot leave. Nor does he want to.
Those with burning questions in their hearts are drawn to this place, seeking answers to all they ask. And the Caretaker will answer them. Be careful, though... you might not like the answer.

At the end of a long hallway, though, is a Door. Sometimes it leaks darkness, sometimes it radiates Light. Always it is locked.

Revan glided down to the entrance gently.
Now was not the time for dramatic entrances.
Revan walked into the building, marvelling once again at the grand nature of the space. The Caretaker was there, chiseling a picture into the wall. Without turning around, he spoke.
" Welcome, Sundavrblaka."
"Caretaker, I was thinking..."
The Caretaker held up his hand.
"I will not answer your question until you turn that voice-changer off. There will be no deciet in this building. Not even the smallest ones."
Revan nodded. He had expected nothing different.
He reached up behind his jaw, the shadows concealing his hand for a moment, and flipped the switch that turned on and off his voice inhibitor.
"...I want to know about the other Leaders."
The Caretaker nodded, and turned away from his work, motioning for Revan to sit in his usual spot.
He did, legs crossed in the middle of the room, history displayed all around him, and the Caretaker spoke.

Last edited:
"...The history of the Clans is a long and audorous one, filled with tradgedy and darkness." The Caretaker nodded toward a picture depicting an ancestor of his with deaths sickle. "...As you well know, Sundavrblaka. But the current leaders are shorter." He gestured toward another picture, one far ahead, depicting a girl with a strange instrument sitting in the middle of twenty, thirty bodies. "For some, leadership is a curse, once again something you can relate to, and power is an even worse one. No one of the Leaders have fully mastered their powers, even as you have not." He nodded to the picture again, and he noticed the girl was crying. "Some carry terrible burdens..."

"Some..." His face hardened as he tuned to a picture of a different girl crouching over the corpse of an animal.
The Caretaker sighed.
"Some, it seems, just want to watch the world burn."

Revan noticed an interesting picture he had not before, close to the one with Death's Sickle. He pointed to it.
"What is that?" He asked curiously.
The Caretaker heaved a quiet, exasperated sigh.
"You have as many questions as leaves on a tree, Sundavrblaka. Well, if you must know..."
The Caretaker walked over to the picture, which depicted a man with dark wings (Probably one of Revan's ancestors) Offering a black rose to a woman with black hair.
A black rose...?
"Your grandfather, one of the Founders, had feelings for the founder of Black Rose, although it was not called that then. Once they decided on the structure of the government, everyone besides her had chosen a name for their clan. Your grandfather confessed his feelings for her, gifting her a single Black Rose."
The Caretaker traced the image sadly, having intimate knowledge with every line.
"...But it was not meant to be. A joining between their two clans would be inappropriate at best, and disastrous at worst. They both knew this, and he didn't care. Whether she had feelings for him, I doubt we will ever know. But, the next time he saw her, she announced the name of her clan, whether as a sign of respect or as a testimony of her love, I do not know. She named it..."
"Black Rose," Revan said, marveling at the story.
"That is a good story, Ebrithil," Revan said, using the title as a show of respect.
The Caretaker nodded. "So it is, Sundavrblaka... but not one I would like to repeat. Please, do not ask it of me again."
Revan nodded in affirmation.

Last edited:
Revan walked out of the Sanctuary feeling satisfied and refreshed. He had nothing he needed to do at the moment --
He heard footsteps of someone running at him.
Barzul. He cursed in his head. He recognized him as one of his messengers. He sighed.
"Revan, Revan come quick! Someone was attacked!"
Revan scowled. "How is that my problem? Can't the authorities handle it?"
The messenger balked and stuttered. "Well, um, uh... There is a vigilante. Um... you'll see."
Revan sighed, resigned. "Where is it?"
The messenger responded quickly. "In the northern half of the territory. You'll, you'll see it, I promise."
Revan guessed he'd better check it out.
His wings materialized with a thought, forcing the messenger back. He crouched and launched himself into the air.
He glided over to the scene.

Revan walked into the Sanctuary, marveling at the beauty of the place once again. He prepared to switch off his voice inhibitor when the Caretaker asked him to, but that was the thing.
The Caretaker wasn't there.
Instead, shadows were dripping out of the locked door, crawling out from the crack.
Revan looked curiously at the door, reaching for the handle. He wondered, was it locked this time?
It wasn't.
As soon as he turned the handle, the door flew open, the shadows reaching out for him. He tried to back away, but the strange power sucked him in, as a black holes might.
The world bent, reality becoming fragile.
And he was in nothing. Not even oblivion, just nothing. Half-formed thoughts and strange monsters lurked in the darkness, searching for something.
The darkness twisted, then...
He was standing in a grand hallway, one that might hold a throne at the end, and moving pictures were on the walls, as if projected by some imaginary thing.
One caught his attention, a teenage boy huddled in a corner, staring at a top hat as if it might come alive.
"He always comes back..." The boy whispered.
"Maybe not this time." A voice spoke from behind him.
Revan looked around and behind him stood a boy, no older than fourteen, but his voice was deep and his gaze was sharp. He had black hair, blue eyes, and wore a trench coat overtop a t-shirt and jeans.
He looked... normal.
"You know, I am usually so strewn about, cut into tiny little pieces that are scattered everywhere."
The boy looked at him.
"But you..." He smiled. "You doing something that was so curious, so innocent, so... me gave me the clarity of thought to be able to talk to you."
"Who are you?"
"I am - "
"Where am I?"
"What do you want?"

The boy shook his head.
"I - "
Revan shouted and slashed his chains toward the boy, arcing them through the air.
They missed.
He could not tell you how, just that they did. He scowled.
He never missed.
The boy smiled painfully.
"Revan..."
Revan attacked again.
The chains missed again, by a hairsbreadth.
"Revan, we dont have time..."
The boy smiled, and his eyes twinkled, like he had all the time in the world and there was nothing he would rather be doing.
It was the smile of a father.
Revan pulled his chains toward his body and threw them straight at the boy, yelling frustratedly.
The boy raised two fingers in front of him, and the chains arced inches from his face into pillars on either side of them.
"REVAN."
The word came with a thought, as if he'd simplified Revan's entire being into that one word.
Revan fell to his knees.
"Who - Who are you?" Revan asked with awe, although he thought he knew already.
The man smiled.
"At least in part... " He smiled. "I'm you."

A hand grasped Revan's shoulder.
The Caretaker pulled him out of the door, closed and locked it, saying,
"Curiosity is not a sin, Sundavrblaka, but you may at exersize caution."

Vanya knocked on the sanctuary door. It seemed unlocked, so she let herself in. It was beautiful inside. "Woah... It's beautiful..." Sorin stuck close to her side, his nose twitching.
@TMITM

The Caretaker turned from chiseling a rather large picture, two great armies clashing. He smiled.
"That it is, Shrrgnien, that it is."

Vanya turned to face the Caretaker. "Hello. You must be the Caretaker? I've heard that people with burning questions can come here to get them answered. Is that true? Is there a limit or something?" There was a glint of desperation in her eyes.
@TMITM

The Caretaker shook his head.
"No limit. Well, there is, but it's hard to explain."
The Caretaker smiled and said, "She's the Ravinca second-in-command, just ask around. People will know where she is."

Shock rippled through Vanya's body. "What?!" She excalimed. Lysandra.... Second in command? No way. "Is she... Is she the sister I remember her to be?"
She needed for the Caretaker to say yes. Yes, she was. But was it true?
"And... One more thing. My... I mean, Lysandra's father... Why did he lie to us all those years? Telling me I was a demon. Telling us we were twins. Why would he do that?"
(These are the answers to her questions, you can just copy and paste if you want or put them in your own words.

All people change. She is no different. But she is a lot like you remember her to be.

He never wanted you to be different than her. He never wanted you to feel left out. He wanted you to be sisters even though you weren't.

... something was about to happen.
He could feel it, smell it in the air, a sense of foreboding and anxiety.
He hated conflict, battle, but waiting on the edge of one was even worse.

The Caretaker smiled and turned to her.
"Why ask me when you can find out yourself?"
He was worried. In the corner of the universe, there was a power growing. A blight that would wipe out everything if it had the chance. Destroy everything in an instant. It would kill everything. His time was coming. Everyone quaked in fear, for they knew his time was near. He would destroy everything. He was growing restless and he had his sights set on this realm, the realm that the Creator's eye was fixed on as well. The Angel was growing weary. He would have to be dealt with, soon enough. It filled the Caretaker with dread and anxiety to think about it, as it did with all creations. The Veil would be shattered and everything would die. It was only a matter of time. The Caretaker's power was great, but it paled in comparison to the Blight, the king of Ink, Mist, and Shadow.
The shadow that stares back at you in the mirror.

I̴'̶v̸e̵ ̴g̶o̸t̴ ̸n̷o̶ ̶s̸t̴r̴i̶n̴g̷s̶ ̷o̴n̸ ̶m̵e̴.̷.̸.̸

The singsongy line echoed through the Door, warning of the things to come. He felt the battle of the Light and the Dark, the Angel and the Demon, and so far... the Demon was winning. The Demon was getting stronger with every passing day. All Shards felt it.

Vanya took a deep breath. The Caretaker was right. It was time to stop being anxious and go find her long-lost "sister." She felt a rising sense of fear in her, which was strange, a fear that caused Sorin to nose her hand concernedly. She scratched his head to reasure him she was okay. She was supposed to be excited. She shook her head to clear her thoughts. The Caretaker had told her what she already knew, but just needed to hear out loud. Drawing in a shaky breath, she made her way toward the exit.
"What do you say to the nice man, Vanya?" Vanya froze, not sure if it had really happened or not. Her dad's voice echoed around, though whether it was just in her mind or not, she wasn't sure. "Well?"
Vanya turned around, looked the Caretaker in the eye and said, "Thank you."
And then left.
"Strange place, huh, boy?" Her voice trembled as she asked Sorin the rhetorical question.

The Caretaker sat upon a chunk of rock outside the Sanctuary, playing on a guitar and singing, although strangely a full orchestra joined him before long, out of sight. And the Caretaker lamented the lives that were lost that day, the lives of people, unnamed, sure, but he lamented anyway.

When he started singing again, the Angel joined him, sitting next to him, unseen to everyone else, adding her angelic voice to the lament. She grieved for the lost lives, too.
If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together.
Slowly, the invisible ranks of the impromptu chorus swelled. He saw Huginn and Muninn. He saw Thanatos, the Death God, with his leather jacket join, too.
And if we should die tonight, then we shall all die together.
Watch the flames grow high - into the night.
Raise a glass of wine - for the last time.

The Guide, The Blacksmith, Dragons, many, many others, and then, finally, He showed himself. TMITM, adding his voice to the chorus, the song of unity. He was there because he was the Guardian. He was supposed to protect, his original purpose sealing the pact. And together, with the authority of the King, they made a decision, unanimous in their determination.
Now I see fire
Never again.
I see fire
Never
again.
NEVER again.

Last edited:
The Caretaker watched as the Angel looked around the Sanctuary, taking in the place with calm awe. The others faded, returning to their places in the vast worlds that were created for them. But the Angel stayed, because she wanted to. She was the right hand, the right-hand woman of the King, even if they clashed almost eternally. But there were moments where they were united, such as this one. He had failed to be the Guardian, his original purpose, and she had to comfort the boy, to tell him that this pain would never happen again. They would protect, even though she couldn't, really. She was barred normally from this world, she could only exist here because this was an in-between, like a temple, a direct connection to them, or him. Didn't really matter, the subtle differences.
She had learned that the hard way. The Guardian... They had spent many a sleepless night together, Guarding and Comforting the boy as he fell back to sleep, driving the demons back.
Did she love him?
Yes, she loved every single one of his creations, and she didn't know if she was capable of romantic love.
But still...
But it didn't matter now. What he had turned into... a horrible monster. Yes, every now and then, his true personality would shine through, a ray of sunshine that eventually disappeared behind the thunderheads, but it was not for long. She stood in his way, a voice of comfort and reason that blocked the pure, corrosive emotion that he was made of. And he hated her for that. Yes, he hated everything to a lesser or greater extent, but he hated her because she gotten his way. Again and again. The one entity that had a chance of resisting him for long. She could only delay the inevitable, and she knew it. They all knew it.
Ugh.
Do you have any idea how frustrating, how infuriating it is to see your thoughts and feelings written right there, in plain text? Like seeing your insides taken out and spat out on a page. It's disgusting and annoying at the same time, seeing exactly what she was thinking.
Agh! No wonder the Guardian got corrupted. This was annoying. If she could feel anger, frustration, she definitely would have joined him in tearing down the world.
But she couldn't. She only felt Kindness and Love, and occasionally exasperation and sadness, but hate wasn't in her nature. Her anger was fleeting, and quick to kindness.
She searched for herself, in the round of the entire history of this world, and, lo and behold, she was there. Almost everywhere, portraying different roles. But her real self was above the story, on the ceiling, one of many figures there. She was a female shilouette with a halo and wings.
Ridiculous. She didn't have a halo. She wasn't perfect, but that made her perfect. If that made sense.
Scratch that, it wasn't really meant to.

Last edited:
cf654a6a8b3b5c904f781772d4942111.png
Raymond entered the Sanctuary. For an Extradimensional Space, it was actually rather easy to find. The Ash Wolves Sattilite picked up the dimensional fluctuations with relative ease. So, he figured he'd best check it out. He left his car parked outside in sentry mode so no one would step it. Trying to get it through the door was just going to be a pain. So, here he was.
Raymond didn’t come to fight. That didn’t mean he wasn’t ready for one. He was still armed to the teeth. He was deep in enemy territory after all.
He looked over the walls. His eyes scanning the images and sending them back to headquarters for analysis. The Ash Wolves would have this information. He wondered if anyone was actually around. The place didn’t look very awe inspiring. Sure big domed room with carvings was neat, but nothing compared to the majesty of modern architecture or even the Sky Reach Sanctum. All in all, he would have described the place as a bit of a let down.

The Caretaker looked back from a carving of two colossal armies clashing, noting his presence. Making sure Raymond knew that the Caretaker knew that he was there.
"Ah. Shrrgnien. I have been waiting for you since I revealed this place to you. Your kind do not come here often."
The Caretaker looked over the weapons he carried, frowning. He was not opposed to weapons, he knew they were necessary sometimes, he just would not allow fighting.
The Caretaker finished his carving and walked over to him.
"I will not tolerate any fighting in this place. Your weapons are okay, but there will be no fighting. Everyone is safe and equal here. This is a place of knowledge," he said, indicating the whole of history on the walls.
@Sanity43217

Back