Riders of Scavenger Island

ChelonianCommander

Strength of Steel, Will of Iron
For roughly two hours, the survivors lay unconscious on the beach. The tide began to roll in and the waters splashes on their bodies, waking them up. Around them are signs of what was once the Merchant Fleet. Wooden Planks, bits of metal and even the flagship of the fleet, the Wave Runner, a once proud cargo ship that once held 50 crew but now is stripped of all cargo and its crew missing. The ship still has a single lifeboat attached, but the Waverunner itself is wreaked as it has a giant hole.

"Aaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh." Came the pained moan from Slode as the young teen rolled over, his ribs aching from where they had collided with the rails of the ship during the chaos. Coughing up the salt water that had been in his mouth, the young adult dragged himself forward on the beach with his arms, eventually standing up once the pain began to subside. Looking around, he had let out another groan as he saw the state of the fleet. Great.

Not a stranger to situations where one is left on their own to survive, or at least, he's practiced it, Slode quickly checked himself over. Two arms, two legs, only pain is from some bruised ribs. He seemee good to go! And at least the Wave Runner was closeby. It would serve as a pretty good shelter, and maybe there was still some food in it.

Peering into the distance, he could just see the silhouette of a far larger island from where he was. It had to be miles away, but it looked as if it had a lot more... well, everything really. Looking to his side, the muscley teen noted with surprise that only a few others remained. There was that hunter, the researcher chick, and two others he had never spoken to. Talk about an eclectic group.

"Hey, you guys good?" He asks.

Garm's head was pounding, flashes of the night prior flitted through his head, he slowly sat up holding his head as the tide sloshed against the shore. Rubbing his eyes he looked around, someone else was already up, looked to be the brawny youth that seemed to always carry an axe. He shakily got to his feet, he looked around once more, and gave a whistle, then another. He began to get worried, but an eagles screech made him smile, a eagle flew out of the sky and alighted itself upon his shoulder nuzzling him affectionately. "Glad you are okay bud, let's go see how this young man is doing." he said and began walking over, "Thank the gods someone else made it." He said with a sigh of relief upon approaching him.

A barrel being pushed with the incoming tide, turned over and over on sand not far from the bodies strewn on the beach. There was woman's voice coming from inside. "Hey! HEY!" Rennec could hear voices out side the rolling barrel she was trapped in. The first signs of life in hours since their little voyage had gone to hell. "Can anybody hear me!" Her voice was hoarse from yelling for so long as another foamy wave lapped into her makeshift vessel, adding wetness to her already sodden clothes.

A mouthful of gritty sand was not the nicest thing to wake up to, which was something Freydis quickly learned once she had regained her consciousness. She was quick to sit up and spit it out, going as far as scrapping her tongue with her fingernails, which were probably equally as gross. The light was harsh on her eyes, and the swimming in her head nearly convinced her to lay down again, but voices made her push herself all the way onto her feet.

The first person she noticed was that brute, Slode was it? He was only a year or so older than her, and he seemed completely fine. The next person was that hunter, with the eagle. Garm. Then, there was a feminine voice from inside a... barrel?

Instead of starting a conversation with Slode and Garn, Freydis made the quick decision to try to help, stumbling awkwardly towards the barrel as cold waves from the ocean lapped against her bare feet. She was sure she'd been wearing shoes before the storm.

She felt like she was drunk, even though she'd never actually been drunk before, and nearly fell face first into the sand as she knelt down to try to get the person that was in the barrel outside of the barrel. Her slender fingers pried feebly at the opening on the top of the barrel, stiffness making it a bit difficult to get it open. "How did you even get in there?" She asked shrilly. Was there even someone in there? Did the storm drive her crazy? Was she hallucinating like so many others had said they had when they were lost at sea?

Finally, she managed to pull off the top of the barrel and saw that there was, in fact, someone stored in side.

Averix: was out cold, not getting up, chest rising and falling. His head hurt, he didn’t want to Move despite everyone else. He’d taken the loot and light things that wouldn’t Drown him, but it had made Swimming such a chore. His arms weighted with golden Bands. He wanted the Flag of the merchant Ships so bad, he’d get it when he decided to wake up.

The water splashed on his feet, he ignored it not caring. In the distance he could hear talking, Ok it was closer than his though, but the ringing in his ears, and the water in his head. His body was water Logged. He slightly opened his eyes, more of a squint, sand was in his lashes, and it hurt, salt water was in his eyes. He blinked until it went away, before slowly drifting back to black*

"So... I guess we're the only ones who made it?" Slode says, mostly to Garn as he watches the researcher open a barrel to reveal... what in the nine hells had she been doing in there? And the only other one seemed like he wouldn't last long. He hadn't moved at all. Maybe he was already dead?

"Did anyone actually see who attacked us? No one boarded and it was too dark for me. All I remember was a storm and a hail of arrows. Also, I think he's gonna die. Anyone know first aid?" He asks, voice a little louder this time as he addressed researcher lady and barrel chick, still trying to figure out how she had not only gotten in the barrel during the chaos, but managed to fit, while at the same time pointing to the unmoving body.

As the survivors woke, inside the wreckage of the Wave Runner, beached and broken on the sand, being lightly licked by the waves, there is signs of life inside the boat as the sound of someone rustling around in the captain's quarters. There are some Terrible Terrors that are also hanging around the wreckage, watching someone tear the room apart through a window. As the people wake up however, they suddenly notice and immediately fly away. The person inside however has yet to notice and continues to scavenge and mutter inconstantly. The voice sounds like that of an old crazy woman.

A screeching sound accompanied a flood of bright sunlight as the lid to the barrel was pulled away. "Auhg," Ren groaned, "Thank the gods."

She could barely see any thing from the glare of the beach as she crawled out and flopped in the sand next to her helper. A woman with blonde hair and in just as water logged shape as she was. Spitting out briney seawater, Ren nodded to her. A debt was a debt. "Thanks, I owe you."

Another wave swept over them, dousing her red hair and all of her equipment. Her bow! She bolted up and dove for the barrel to pull out her bow and quiver. The bow was fine but her few arrows were soaked, warped beyond repair. "Damnit " She tucked the equipment over her shoulder then hauled herself to her feet stiffly, before offering a hand to the woman who opened the barrel. "The names Rennec."

There were others on the beach a few gnat like dragons already scavenging. "Anyone know where the hell we are?"

Even though she knew that someone had been stuck inside the barrel, it was still quite the sight to see a grown woman crawl out. "It's no problem really, I'm glad to see someone else made it out alive. I'm Freydris," she smiled, taking a brief moment to brush the sand from her palms onto her pants before reaching out and shaking Rennec's outstretched hand.

She stood up to her full height, peering over to where Slode was pointing to some man laying on the beach. Her strides towards him were halted when she heard noise coming from the wrecked ship. "You guys may want to check that out, I'll help this poor sod," she gestured towards the man laying on the beach before continuing to make her way toward him.

"I think he's alright," she announced once she finished giving him a brief check over, "just unconscious." Despite that, she still made the decision to remain with him instead of return to the ship. If there were enemies there, she'd do nothing but get in the way.

Averix: he had some strange Dream. With a bird and the freezing snow. The Snow it always what se to him. The vivid cold wind washing over him. Bathing and anointing him, then the warm Blood Bath as he slammed a war Axe into its neck. Ahhh seeet dreams. Then he finally found a wonderful treasure horde, he could be a legend.

Then someone was touching him. He felt soft Hands, caring hands. They were different from the cold ocean water. He groggily woke up. The sand still in his hair and Eyes. “ You figure out what happen? I felt a hard Bump.. and grabbed as much of the loot as I could.” He thought it was someone else, could she have been a Valkeriery ? There was a brilliant light behind her. But he hadn’t died in battle it was just the freezing cold ocean. He sat up and realizing he wasn’t in Valhalla sighed. “ Nope still alive. Oh sorry, thanks for saving me, the Sun was just in my eyes and made me think I was somewhere else, and that you were someone else.” He said looking at the young Lady staying with him. “ Hey where is my Axe?”

He looked around and sighed. It must have Sunk to the Bottom which sucked all he wanted to do was keep it safe, and give it a warm Home in the side of a neck. Feeling Lonely he unconsciously pulled he girl Closer. Seemingly a move to make sure she stayed Safe. If you didn’t look hik in the eyes.

“As far as I remember,” Slode responds to Rennec, making his way a but closer so he didn't have to shout. Never knew what could be watching. "We were passing by some sort of island when everything went ploin shaped. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that's what that is over there,” he gestures towards the outline on the horizon. “And that we're on some sort of offshoot.”

At the sounds coming from the inside of the Wave Runner wreck, Slode shares a look with Garm as he drew his axe and warily approached the wreckage. The burly teen made no move to hide his presence, and instead moved swiftly to the inside of the boat, entrring through the large hole in its hull. He wasn't sure who the voice belinged to, but if they thought they could take whatever was left of the Wave Runner's cargo they were sorely mistaken.

Garm shared Slodes opinion, they needed the contents of this wreck, and they weren't gonna let anyone take anything. Dale came back from a quick search and brought Garm his bow in it's case. He was lucky it had made it intact. He quickly pulled it out and began to string it. He set his quiver on his back and followed Slide inside the wreckage.

The crazy gibbering continues as metal, wood and paper gets thrown around. However the voice lets out a loud, "Ah-ha!" As it finds something, a nice block of unspoiled cheese whose savory smell can flow from the holes in the Captain's Quarters. It draws some Terrible Terrors into the ship, wriggling their way into the ship through holes in the hull and broken windows. The sound of Terrible Terrors and a human eating can then be heard from inside the Captain's Quarters.

Rennec shielded her eyes from the harsh sunlight as she looked in the direction of the island, then at the remains of the ship. "Of all the bloody ships to wreck, it's the one I stow away on," she grumbled. The two boys were heading off to find out what was making the odd sounds from the wreckage. Her curiosity was piqued, so she nodded to Freydis. "Scream if you're dying, I guess. I'll be right back." With that, she turned on her heels and followed the two toward the ship wreck as she pulled her bow string from inside her shirt. It was still damp but the move to hide it had save it from complete ruin.

"Wait up boys," she called as they scurried like mice inside. Maybe there would be something in the ship worth looting. She followed them into the wreckage, listening carefully. There were little lizard-like dragons scurrying around. Their claws made tapping sounds along the sodden wood crates as you would expect a bilge rat. One of them eyed her, tilting it's head and she shrugged at it before following the others towards the captain's quarters.

"Uh, I-I'm not sure where your axe is," Freydris was confused, but that confusion immediately turned to concern, and a hint of annoyance, when the man began pulling her toward him. "I'd rather you didn't do that." She pressed the palms of her hands against his chest, successfully shoving him away from her, before standing up.

"Since you seem to be just fine," she bit her tongue to stop herself from snapping at him, "I'm going to go join the others."

With that, the young woman spun on her toes, kicking up wet sand in every direction, and practically raced after Rennec. "That other guy is rather odd," she mused. Her mood was brightened, however, when she spotted the little dragons trotting around the wreckage of the ship. "How cute!"

Some of the Terrible Terrors seemed to be examining the vikings with great interest as the person inside ate and grumbled on. When the Vikings began to move, they moved into the captain's quarters wriggling through the small crevices and such. They reported to the person inside the captain's quarters, still gibbering and eating. She didn't gibber and eat for longer after though as the Terrors reported the vikings heading her way. She talked in in a hush whisper and before the Vikings can do anything she kicked down the weaken door and held a gnarled branch as a weapon and staff.

The woman is an old dirty druid wearing faded green rags made of dyed leather and wore a metal cap sporting what looks like carved wooden horns made in the fashion of a Monstrous Nightmare. Her eyes were crazed and her teeth were cracked and yellow from the cheese and her breath smelled of rotten eggs. Terrible Terrors seem to follow her however as one sat on her shoulder and another three stayed near her feet. She screamed at the group as they approached the quarters. "Back of Scavengers or face the wrath of the Lone Druid Mashy Morga!" She began to swing her branch in all directions, trying to strike the strange vikings.

Garm stepped back slightly and held his hands up, "I believe you are mistaken mam, this ship originally was part of the fleet we served on, we are just here to reclaim what was ours." He said with a smile, "If we could take a look through, we will grab what was ours and be on our way. So sorry for disturbing you."
He tried to sound as peaceful as possible, after all he was telling the truth, hopefully the others would back him up. Dale gave a cry at the Terrible Terror on her shoulder, seeming to be trying to talk to it.

The screaming ripped through Ren's ears and she winced as it made her headache seem more prominent. Was that really necessary. When the woman made her pronouncement Ren raised a brow and simply side stepped at whatever she planned on doing with the battered club. "Yeah, what he said," she added, jabbing a thumb at Garm, "You can have all that..." ..she inspected the woman's mouth, her lip curling..."Cheese, if you can tell us a bit more of the island, Mashy."

"And out down the damn stick before you do something you regret." Added Slode, who was having none of this wishy-washy diplomacy crap and actively stretched to his full height. If the old hag swung, she was going down shorter. The woman had called them scavengers, when here she was raiding what was left of the ruined ship. Hypocritical much?

While he may think that, the other half of the truth was that he really didn't want to be near this crone any longer than he had to be. It was like being near a foul wind in her presence, the stench almost capable of making him physically ill. What had this hag done to her body?!

Back