Kanassa

Professional Twit
Intro:
You are stuck in a deep sleep, suffocated by your past and hung by the horror of history. In this realm, you feel vulnerable and alone before a presence you don't quite understand. Your body is bound by only your doubts, staring up at sky of ethereal mist matting over purple and green stars, before the smell of stew reaches your nose. Around you, you realize that you are situated on a bed that stands atop a truly awkwardly constructed area. Nothing was natural, just random chunks of environments thrown around to float, making the bed even more out of place.

Some invisible force wills your head to the side, facing a room with no walls, a mashup of a kitchen and a living room complete with a fireplace, a hanging shelves, and a bubbling pot. The strange part was the fact that, without the walls there, the shelves and chandeliers were all hanging on nothing. A man stands over the pot, at least you assume it's a man. He stands tall with skin as unnaturally black as the night, his eyes an empty white void as they look you over.

He has nothing on his face other than the eyes, yet you can tell he's smiling, the mix of unease and warmth crawling over you. "Ah, a guest! Listlessly floating between the realms of death and life!" He doesn't speak, the voice comes for the world around him, echoing in your mind. "Don't worry, you're not dead, yet. You are simply about to be dead. If you're unlucky... Which, to be honest, most of my visitors have been now that I think about it" A hand raises, gesturing to the row of other beds beside you, all holding skeletons. "Do you remember? You're on the last ship bound Solus" A head tilt, the being was curious. "I take it you caught Sea Rot like the other passengers"

A few seconds passed, there was an amused 'hmmm' from the sky. "Yes, you just might survive... Hmmm, there is a curious ripple of destiny around you. There is more for you after this..." The being dips a spoon into the pot and collects some of the contents, a strange transparent substance that glowed like a star. "Tell you what, I will help you out. You could use all the help you can get" Within a blink of an eye, the entity is upon you, spoon in hand. "This is a piece of a Star. yes, the shiny ones. No, don't ask anything, questions are for later. Stars and their positions are heavily tied into our fates and spirits. And with our spirits, we use magic- I'm trying not to give away too much... but I'm giving you a gift" You have no choice in the matter, the tall, blank man shoved the spoon into your mouth and stuffs it down your throat. At the same time, everything around you seems to begin fadeing. You're leaving this realm. "Oh, you are a trooper. You're waking up now. But please, after you've discovered my gift, I only ask that you don't die and come look for me. I forsee some interesting days ahead..."

The world of Myriad is left divided at the end of the Third Great War, a terrible and destructive conflict waged between the warring nations of Novak and Tarkus, marking the end of an era and the coming of a far more brutal chapter in history. The inhabitants of Tarkus face the consequences of sticking with the losing side, forced to either submit to the new rule of Novak or flee for their lives, subjected to the judgment of their new superiors. But that did not mark the end of the conflict, as quickly as Novak had ascended the throne, their own troops began to turn on them, an call for peace ending in a bloodbath that would spark a civil war. Emperor Balrog, who took the banner of Novak atop of the last living Dragon in existence (A major factor in his own victory.), claimed his throne and lay siege to the loyalists and outsiders alike, appointing himself the sole ruler of the five nations (The other nations being Kidri, Oxis, and Traya; the last two having sided with Tarkus during the war). The sole thread of order that quelled the chaos.

However, there remain lands that even the great Emperor would not dare claim, those that lay beyond the boundaries of his control, those that lay within the realm of Solus. The nation that lies within is one that is spread out around twisted environments, filled with terrible creatures, Demonic Influence, untold horrors and magic which still remain a mystery to many. These were strange lands, dangerous lands, but they are the refuge away from Balrog's territory.

In the aftermath of the Great War, many from all different walks of life reconciled that there was no place for them in the old lands, and sought refuge in Solus, a contient on the other side of the planet. You find yourself on a similar journey. For whatever reason, be it a loyalist on the run from Balrog's wrath, a Tarkus Soldier sick of watching his people die, a peasant seeking fortune and opportunity in the land of problems or just a simple man looking for more; you have rushed onto one of the last ships bound for Solus in a long time as the door of possibility closes.

But while on deck, a meeting with a fatal disease invites you to a meeting with a strange entity from lands unknown. For your endurance, he leaves you a gift for when you wake up; a power unique to you. Destiny expects much from the road ahead, if you choose to embrace it, as you find yourself on a quest to seek peace in this new land. You seek a...

10a5e4fb245be8553dcfc185226823fc.png

So, yeah. A casual fantasy RP driven by characters trying to find a city in this strange new land. An 'A to B, but everything in-between is fucked' situation where the focus is more on the characters going on a journey. This city is rumored to be a safe haven from the horrors of Solus as well as chance to start over with prosperity. The lore itself is more to facilitate the journey and interactions between the characters, but I do intend to add more stuff to it. There is your classic magic system which we can build upon, but your characters themselves get to have one specific unique power to themselves. But...

First: Interested?

Second: Any ideas lore and race-wise to offer?

Last edited:
El interdasted.

I'm here to observe & contribute. I have a few race ideas up my mind. How many are you looking for?

El interdasted.

I'm here to observe & contribute. I have a few race ideas up my mind. How many are you looking for?
Just a few, need to leave things open for more reason to wanna get the hell outta dodge and to add some flavour between the nations

Just a few, need to leave things open for more reason to wanna get the hell outta dodge and to add some flavour between the nations

I'm assuming we have our standard humans.

Well, perhaps we can bundle up beastfolk or whatever name we come up for them into one race. There are land-based ones & sea-based ones. Winged ones could create their own societies in the clouds. This race will encompass most if not all animals, even the insectoids.

As a basis, they will resemble humans but with primarily their ears being animalistic & possessing a tail. There are other traits, such as wings, scales, fangs...

I'm thinking it could be divided into Landwalkers & Fishmen. The 'fish' in Fishmen isn't too literal, considering that jellyfish, Starfish & Crayfish aren't really fish. The Fishmen have a particular ability where they can alter their lower bodies to resemble animalistic lower-halves for better water propulsion, resembling merfolk, then turn them back into legs for land-based movement.

All beastfolk can turn into their full animal forms.

Perhaps the backstory behind the beastfolk is that some magic force, perhaps another race, magic radiated from some sacred artifact, etc. caused regular animals to gain sapience & a humanoid form should they exceed their natural lifespan. Some have chosen the path of civilization, while others prefer their original wild selves.

An undead-like race would be nice, where healing magic harms them, and as an alternative, they drain health from others to heal. Physical attacks don't hurt too much, but magic does affect them more.

Other concepts I have include a race that starts off as an odd, pale being, before sprouting into one of four beings based on environment, each being encompassing one of four elements.

Perhaps plant people, akin to Alraune or Dryads?

Well, perhaps we can bundle up beastfolk or whatever name we come up for them into one race. There are land-based ones & sea-based ones. Winged ones could create their own societies in the clouds. This race will encompass most if not all animals, even the insectoids.

As a basis, they will resemble humans but with primarily their ears being animalistic & possessing a tail. There are other traits, such as wings, scales, fangs...

I'm thinking it could be divided into Landwalkers & Fishmen. The 'fish' in Fishman isn't too literal, considering that jellyfish, Starfish & Crayfish aren't really fish. The Fishmen have a particular ability where they can alter their lower bodies to resemble animalistic lower-halves for better water propulsion, resembling merfolk, then turn them back into legs for land-based movement.
I was thinking of Fishmen/Merfolk, who are endangered due to Pirates and Hunters slaughtering them on the sea, who can only change their body to a more water-based form when in water.

All beastfolk can turn into their full animal forms.

Perhaps the backstory behind the beastfolk is that some magic force, perhaps another race, magic radiated from some sacred artifact, etc. caused regular animals to gain sapience & a humanoid form should they exceed their natural lifespan. Some have chosen the path of civilization, while others prefer their original wild selves.
Sounds good.

An undead-like race would be nice, where healing magic harms them, and as an alternative, they drain health from others to heal. Physical attacks don't hurt too much, but magic does affect them more.
While I did plan for an Undead race, I'd prefer it not be available for characters and for them to be a specific resident of Solus to really push the 'strange land with horrifying creatures' angle.

Other concepts I have include a race that starts off as an odd, pale being, before sprouting into one of four beings based on environment, each being encompassing one of four elements.

Perhaps plant people, akin to Alraune or Dryads?
I could see that, though they'd probably not be a race well looked upon or well-integrated into society.

Okay, heads up; almost done with the lore, will be posting the character sheets soon!

Right, done. Check the tabs for more lore, here's the sheet!

Name:

Appearance:

Race:
[See 'Races' tab for more information. If you're a critter, describe what bestial traits you have]

Nation of Birth:
[Tarkus, Novak, Kidri, Oxis, and Traya]

Bio:

Noticeable Details/Reputation:
[Is your character a figure that others might possibly recognize or have heard of? Do they have any features about them that would stick out or inform other characters? For example: A Novak veteran of the War who wears the sigil of his allegiance with pride, something that would be recognizable to those involved more deeply in the war, maybe even immediately cause discomfort to a Tarkus soldier]

Why Solus:
[Is there a particular reason your character is seeking refuge in Solus? Sick of the fighting? Escaping regrets? Made a refugee by recent events?]

Power of the Traveller:
[What has this strange entity gifted you as a unique power?]

Skills/Abilities:
[What skill tree of life do they fall upon? Is your character a sneaky schemer who can't take a punch for his life? Are they an Old Mage who is unfamiliar with all this newfangled stuff the people today are messing with? Are they a simple seed brewing with potential as a jack-of-small-trades?]

Last edited:
Twilight is almost upon us, traveler. The spirits of the dead will wail in the trees, and beasts will stalk the jungle for their next prey. You may wait here, cowering and waiting for your end, or you can embrace your roots and go on the hunt. Make your decision quickly, Twilight has come.
The beast stirs.

ebd8a42bc4db97868155efa9388ad1ef.jpg

Name:

Naiel Sharah

Appearance:
Athletic form with pale, scarred skin. Facial tattoos steeped in ritual significance. Wears animal furs both as clothing and as a status symbol, and adorned with numerous forms of jewelry.

Race:
Human

Nation of Birth:
Kidri

Huntress/Shaman

Tarkus’ attempted recruitment of the Kidri tribes were not the only attempt at diplomacy with the chaotic jungles. A few decades ago, a collection of merchants, researchers and mercenaries gathered from every corner of the continent had set out into the jungle seeking the next big discovery, whether for academic curiosity or to find the next scheme to get rich. Even with careful preparation the Critters and hostile climate proved difficult.

Only when they met a community of humans that lived among the jungle did they find hope. The Sharah people traded with the outsiders and taught them the ways of survival, even letting the expedition live among them for safety. Years passed and the partnership only deepened, many of the explorers even marrying and starting families with their Sharah hosts.

One day, an archaeologist went missing. The next day, two mercenaries had reportedly wandered into the jungle and never returned. One by one, nearly every member of the expedition disappeared, until the primary leader of the venture remained. He had sent one last letter to his company in Oxis, that he had ‘found what he was looking for’, paired with unintelligible raving about the revolutionary finding. No further word from him had ever come.

Naiel was born among the Sharah people, and the stars during her birth were such an omen that the shamans demanded to raise her, that she had potential for greatness. She was not forbidden from seeing her family, but most of her days were spent learning the ways of old and walking the path of a priestess. The spirits feared and adored and reviled her all at once, but she learned how to ward off those that wished ill.

When her training completed, she received a vision in her dreams. One of a far-off land populated with strange people, and she knew that this was where she needed to go. Having her body and mind touched by the Traveler only strengthened her resolve, as the visions grew more feverish and vivid.

Noticeable Details/Reputation: Anyone who lives or works in Kidri may be familiar with the tale of the ill-fated venture. Additionally she bears a striking resemblance to one of the original members of the exploratory party.

Why Solus: The spirits of old have guided her so.

Power of the Traveller: Where once she needed complex rituals and careful preparation to commune with spirits and ghosts, she can now see and interact and even touch them at all times. Additionally, this deepened mystical connection has given her newfound ferocity and vigor on the hunt.

Skills/Abilities:
Preying upon man and beast alike is a sacred art, one steeped in tradition among her people. Physical fitness and skill with weapons is not enough, one must be properly taught the shamanic arts associated with life and death. Her supernatural abilities are primarily communing with the dead and other similar acts, but minor hexes and tracking targets are also possible.

Here it is c:

Crowned_eagle-8.jpg

Name:
Kestral Azreel

Appearance: Kestral is (or rather, was) part of a secretive community of winged folk who live high up in the mountains of Tarkus. Just like the rest of the people who have chosen to take sanctuary in the high-altitude dwelling, part of her resembles that of a bird - the wings sprouting from her back. They are brown at the base, turning into white primary feathers with black tips (similar to that of an African crowned eagle). The human aspect of her is strong but seemingly fine-boned, with high cheekbones and ears that are vaguely pointed at the tips to improve her hearing so that it matches that of a predatory bird. Her eyes, framed by long lashes, are a sharp, emerald green with the pupils thinning into fine slits like a bird's whenever she gets irritated, angry or high-strung. Her hair is waist-length and curly with deep hues of honey-brown. She usually wears fine and quaint silver jewelry, such as rings, arm-bands and earrings.

She wears casual clothing similar to that of other females she lives with, usually airy frocks with variable sleeves and long slits on each side that rise up to her mid-thigh as well as in her back where her wings can be free. Underneath is usually tight pants of some sort if the weather is cold or if there is work to be done. Her warrior's attire usually requires her to wear a slitted tunic (a shorter version of the frock) as well as pants and boots.Warriors wear only leather armor as anything heavier will hinder their flying abilities. Kestral (otherwise known as Kez) prefers to use daggers as they are less cumbersome to use during flying.

Race: Beastial (Don't use the word critter in front of her if you want to keep all your teeth)

Nation of Birth:
Tarkus, in one of the mountainous cities only easily accessible by air. For those stuck on land, the mountain path is treacherous and shrouded in thick mist.

Warrior/scout

Bio: When the third Great War began, Kestral's parents decided it best for their child to be somewhere safe and secluded, somewhere that bounty hunters after 'critter' parts couldn't get to them and soldiers of either Tarkus or Novak regions couldn't reach. Thus, they ascended to the mountain city of Aerie, place of safety and isolation. While the city is located within the Tarkus region, it remains separate to the going-on's affecting the area and tend to keep out of political dealings. Thus, it held the potential for peace among those rare enough to be born with bird-aspects, people whose feathers and ears were like rare trophies to those foolish enough to believe they held any power once severed from a slaughtered individual.

Kestral grew up, learning to love the people she looked much alike as well as her sanctuary among the clouds and air. Beyond all hope and prayer though, this peace was not too last. After a few years of Kestral becoming an official guard and scout within the garrison of the people of Aerie, demand for bird-aspect 'critters' was at an all time high. In the middle of the Great Third War, there was many a foolish soldier willing to believe tales about potions made from the parts of people like Kestral which granted the drinker their abilities of flight and hearing. For this reason, the bounty hunters that usually worked alone came together to forge and all time mighty plan to finally penetrate Aerie's fortress and make themselves a fortune.

Her people fought as hard as they could, but with the attack coming in the middle of the night and completely without warning, very few were able to escape. Kestral's parents were not part of those lucky few. Kestral made it out alive, but not without taking on wounds that would leave her with pale white scars down the length of each of her forearms in gently curved lines. They had tried to peg down those they could capture with spiked nets, but she had been willing to rip through skin to escape. She flew away (despite the struggle it took with her injuries), mourning the loss of the dead she would never see again.

Noticeable Details/Reputation: Kestral's family line is unique in that her beastial parts belong to a predatory bird rather than a songbird or something small. While she maintains the light, airy and fine-features of those with bird-parts, she has also inherited a strength, ferocity and speed to her flying and reflexes that very few can match. These characteristics were part of what made her the perfect candidate to be a soldier within the Aerie community. This along with the white scars on her forearms make her unique in appearance.

Why Solus:
Escaping bounty hunter's, searching for a second place of peace and sanctuary after her first was destroyed.

Power of the Traveller:
To match her ability of flight, she woke with the ability to manipulate air. She can move it to her will, sending out strong gusts or helping her manipulate air currents while flying. When especially angered she might even find shes able to brew up small storms.

Skills/Abilities:

-Not too shabby in a fight (to put it lightly)
-flight
-sharpened hearing and sight
-fast reflexes

** Don't mind changing anything, especially the random city I made up or the rarity of bird-aspect 'critters'. **

Last edited:
I've skimmed through both and they look good so far, but I'm about to take my dog out for a walk. When I get back I'll look more in-depth at them. Also, added a tab about how souls and magic work. I was reminded I forgot to add it when skimming Glmstr's post. Look at that to see if that clashes with anything about your characters.

Name: Tyrian Trist

thief_by_markusthebarbarian-d4pucb9.jpg

Not a completely accurate depiction, but close.

Appearance: Tyrian is a tall man and sticks out like a sore thumb in most instances, whether it be the long brown hair tied up in a short pony-tail and tickling the back of his neck and the matching beard, those bland amber eyes, the buck teeth, the moss green leather armor he adorns over a brown shirt or that dusty coat draped over like a cape. He has to look decent, but keep himself light and well protected. He keeps his dusty brown satchel hanging off his other shoulder for the most part. Oh, and lets not forget the big, bushy orange tail that gets in everyone's way.

Race: Critter - Squirrel Traits

Nation of Birth: Born in Oxis within the walls of the underground criminal and trade hub of Knowhere.

Smuggler/Tomb Raider

Bio: You wanna know my story? It's not that complicated. I was plopped out onto this shithole of a world some years back under a sky of stone and smog. I think my mother was from Novak and my father from Tarkus, probably an unpopular marriage when the war broke out, so they hunkered down in neutral territory for the time being. In my life, I learned a lot from my Goblin buddies, money doesn't lie and progress is better than losing out. Tinkering became my passion, the whirling of gears the catchy tune I hum to myself on my downtimes, the joys of life became something that always had a shady underbelly.

Yeah, I got a few scars from mistakes I've made, stupid decisions have been painted across my wall and, oh yes, I've been down in the mud for a time. But I stood up, dusted myself off and got back to work. I sacrificed my heart and soul, pouring sweat and tears into the machines, into trading, into impressing others, to winning affection. And after enough ass kissing, I finally got my shot, got my promotion to carry out trade deals more independently. Course, we started off with baby steps, I was led out of Oxis, to the surface, guided around the world to plunder tombs for any valuables. Hey, what are some old dead guys gonna need with 'em?

Worked under an old bastard named Otto in his neck of the market, the 'Knockout Trading Company', who in turn worked under the thumb of a Trade Prince, so the money and business were good enough to keep my life afloat even after left the care of my parents. But that all changed after the War. When Balrog claimed his throne with Oxis's help, there was a shift in reputation. Fear had struck the hearts of many of our benefactors, others started to resent Oxis for supporting Novak and it didn't help that Balrog was still law-abiding enough to send his regards and shut down our operations. What does he care that illegal dealings are going on in Oxis? Tyrants these days, all so selective about what morals they do have.

Supplies were taking a hit, customer-base was shrinking and Oxis itself was starting to get hotter and hotter with political tensions. So, most companies decided to take their wares and leg it to the other side of the planet. Otto followed their lead and started sending trading ship after trading ship with the first wave of refugees to set up shop in Solus, soon even he set off on his own, leaving me and his underlings to clean up shop here and join him when we're done. That was a few years ago now. Barely escaping trouble and leaving me on the last ship for Solus and stacks of documentation, sending those who remained ahead of me with supplies.

Look out, Solus. Here comes Trist with some cutthroat deals on weapons that'll really floor ya.

Noticeable Details/Reputation: He wears the symbol of an Oxis merchant on his forehead, a brand tattoo depicting four different right angels being joined together by a white diamond. Anyone who has moderate knowledge of Oxis's reputation would be able to recognize such a mark. Otto, his boss, does have a reputation for shady dealings and bloody hands.

Why Solus: Belrog's rule is making the mainland rather unsafe as he cracks down on illegal operations in Oxis So, most businesses are moving to the land of opportunity and Tyrian isn't one who likes to be left behind. Especially when he had only finally been promoted recently.

Power of the Traveller:
Upon him, he was bestowed... An abomination of a hand. Under his glove, his right hand has become a cracked mess filed with green and taking the complexion of a burn victim. What he doesn't know is that the gift is a spiritual kind, his hand now becoming sensitive to roaming spirits and can draw or lose power to them. In a way, his hand is acting dead and interacts with magic as it were. The only use for this he's found is the fact that the hand can release a green spiritual rope that can act as a lasso of sorts, able to grab onto anything magical.

But, until he learns to master this new gift, he is handicapped against spiritual-based actions against him. A spirit might even be able to drag magic from his hand.

Skills/Abilities: As a fighter he's is not some great warrior or prodigy, he's a simple man who's always packing in case of a double-cross, god knows how many of the scum in Oxis are backstabbers. He's average with a short sword, but a damn good shot with his flint-lock pistol. Spending his time raised alongside the machinations of Goblins, he found himself rather enamored with machinery and tinkering, learning the ins and outs of crystals and how to apply them to machinery, to the point that he always keeps a few in his pouch for some improvised weaponry.

He has a decent head on his shoulders, while always preferring not to risk his neck if he doesn't have too, he can become quite the on-the-fly thinker intense situations. Magic-wise, he knows little. He can form a weak body shield around himself for a little bit, maybe twirl some magical objects, but for the most part, he'd leave fire-breathing and storms to the professional magic men.

As a frequent plunderer of ancient ruins, he has developed a second nature for history and myths, finding himself equipped as a boring history teacher and a particularly good crap spewer when someone wants a story. You want to brawl? Go speak to the buffer guys. You want a lecture on myths surrounding Emperor Balrog's beard? He's your guy.

H
ere it is c:​
This sounds like an interesting character, accepted.
** Don't mind changing anything, especially the random city I made up or the rarity of bird-aspect 'critters'. **
Seems fine to me with only a few prods:
I think the Bird-Bestials building a city on the mountains makes perfect sense. while they'd be more accepted in the Savage Lands, that environment would probably still be pretty dangerous due to terrain and bird people being more prey than predator to most. Makes sense for Tarkus due to even the Nobel Meetings taking place on the HIghest Mountian Peak. I could even see animosity brewing, with the Tarkus Governing house heads doing nothing to stop the Bounty Hunter group from invading the city, since they don't particularly like anyone on their land trying to build isolated societies since that's a society that's not under their watch. A decision that'd probably anger the girl who lost her entire people because of that.

There really isn't any 'rare' breeds, Beastials cover all breeds of animal. But Hunters would still find Beastial body parts valuable, especially ones not 'tainted' by Kidri. And I could definitely see myths coming up that you can make a flight potion from cutting up the bird people.

For the power, I want to ask for more detail on her ability to manipulate air? Just how it works exactly.​

Back