Adenovirus 423 Ruins of the National Mall

Crim

The blobfish
What was once the sprawling and populated National Mall is now a fragmented ghost of its former glory. The Washington Monument stands tall between the Lincoln memorial and the Capitol.

Before the Lincoln Memorial, the Reflecting Pool sits empty from a large crack down its center. Weeds have grown out of the crevice and have colored it green.

Most of the buildings that line the mall are dilapidated at best, but some have held up against the test of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down below, the dogs were barking. Tearing at the scraps of the poor scavenger who'd passed within his sights on his return home from the well and truly bumble-fucked hunting trip. Poor soul, but the mutts needed to eat, and Bhadra cared far more for them than he did anyone else in this ruined city. Occasionally, he'd lean forward in his chair, gazing out across his domain from the from the safety of his Nest, with the blessed aid of his trusty scope. No one and nothing stirred. No Gang members. No travelers. None of the underground rabble. Not even the occasional roach or rat. It was pure tranquility, bliss. All it needed was a bit of music.

The holdings within the Nest weren't sparse, no, not by any means. Within the obelisk, the hunter had gathered an abundance of useful objects. Enough ammunition to field a small gang of mercenaries (if he didn't always work alone), a food and water supply to last him and the mongrels outside and below weeks if it came to it, and a decent but still lacking pool of medicine, most of which was only good for first aid, but there were some exceptions. Apart from these survival necessities, however, Bhadra had taken to collecting any music he could get his hands on. Music was rather hard to come by in No Man's Land, and finding a way to listen to any of it was even harder, but still, where there was a will...

He'd inherited a few things from his mom and pop. Some records, and a record player that barely worked half the time. An old thing, ancient even before the War started and the disease began to spread. The fact it still worked at all was a miracle, and one that Marcus appreciated. Greatly. But that was music he'd listened to since he was a whelp. He'd long become desensitized to it, but thankfully, he'd acquired some different tunes over his...well, he'd lost track of how long it had been since he came home and found them both dead. A least...four winters. Maybe five.

At low volume, Bhadra would begin to play one of his favorites, electricity supplied by a small hand-cranked generator he'd lugged to the top of his hidey-hole. Heavy bass, choppy lyrics, honestly, he had no clue how to even go about describing it, only that it felt...good...to listen to.

Apart from the music, there were a few others things. His rucksack, filled with his exploration gear. A dirty, queen sized mattress, which had been an absolutely BITCH to get up here. Several oil lamps, all of which were doused at the moment. A collection of butane lighters. A roll of tin foil. A small, glass pipe. Several small, plastic bags full of non-descript white powdery chunks, speckled with green and blue.

As the music thumped around him, the bowl of the pipe would be rapped in foil, to help keep it clean, and to help the rocks melt better, as the thin metal heated more evenly than the glass ever could. One of the aforementioned nuggets would be crushed, sprinkled into the hole of the smoking device. Then, the lighter, flame sparked and ready, would be placed against the snow-like substance. A breath would be drawn, pulling the fire into the pipe and dark, swirling smoke into Bhadra's lungs.

The impact of the hit reminded him of when he'd fallen out of a third story window.

It hurt, but damn it, did it hurt so good. Bright white sparks pops and crackled at the edges of his vision, and within seconds, the self proclaimed King of the Mall was hacking up spittle and phlegm. Once the coughing fit was over, Marcus felt like he was floating...light headed...invincible...The light, overcast and barely peaking through the clouds, had become unbearably bright, causing the merc to sidle further back into Nest, into the darkest corner he could find.

One hit wouldn't be enough. He'd take another, then spew forth more bile and spit. Another. Then another. Then, once darkness threatened to take his consciousness, and blood came up in flecks with his drool, only then he would stop. By then, however...

By then...Bhadra truly felt...free...

...and happy.

Joel walked through the once-manicured grass of the Mall, holding himself in a half-crouch to ensure he wasn't too easily seen among the grasses and weeds that had sprung up. The only person he knew would have easy sight on him was the man he'd met only a few times named Bhadra, some old coot from God knew where. Had a nice pack of dogs he did, though. Joel'd thought about taking one down to eat once. Once. After that, and a fair few bullets ripping past his ear, the boy'd learned himself a little better about the man and his dogs. Not a thing to fuck with. After all, a good pack of dogs would make any hunter happy.

He stopped for a moment, squatting more fully and lifting his rifle halfway to his cheek. He missed the mountains and the trees from back home, but out here, he was glad for the long sight-lines and easy pickings when it came to game. The deer he'd grown up hunting were just as available here as back home, so he didn't really want much for food. After realizing that he'd hunkered down from paranoia, not anything else, he began moving again. If he didn't, he'd never be able to have the chat with his neighbor up in the Tower.

The Tower. Not what it used to be, he suspected, but that's what it was. Looking like more of a dick than anything else, and being taller as well, he figured it was as good a name as any, though he was glad he lived in the Castle behind him. Then there was the Tit on the far end, beyond the Castle. He didn't go there, mainly cause he'd heard it was overrun by bandits or something, but it was another landmark he wouldn't soon forget. He looked up to the top of the Tower. No light.

Either Bhadra wasn't home, or he was blasted out of his brain again. It happened. Joel didn't much care for something so crazy, but he'd held his daddy's pipe to his mouth a few times and liked the taste. He missed that pipe though, and the funny plants his daddy'd smoked. All lost back home, except the rifle in his hands. Solidly built, it had kept him alive for far longer than anything else. As he approached the barricade that encircle the place, he heard the dogs eating.

Good, he might not be on the menu. At least not immediately.

He pitched a high-toned whistle to get the attention of the mutts, and then made some other noises to make sure they would be loud enough to possibly get the attention of their owner. After all, Joel had a proposition to make with the man.

With a start that resulted in an explosion of spittle from Bhadra's mouth, the half-unconscious half-past Saturn hunter came to some of his senses with a hacking fit, followed by a desperate scrambling for his rifle and his mask. Both were right where he'd left them, but still, the boy of an unknown age felt his heart gripped by the insidious talons of paranoia for a fleeting for seconds. The bullpup would be clutched, cradled in lean, muscular arms that shook with the aftereffects of narcotics, like a child's security blanket. It was all he could do until the fear had left him. Bhadra knew he should never smoke that much of those strange white rocks his father had taught him to make, but today had been...awful. He'd lost count. Damaged his already failing lungs. He vaguely remembered coughing up blood before going comatose, and he felt anger and self hate begin to over take the terror that had possessed him so thoroughly upon his waking.

Good. Anger he could use, channel.

He wouldn't leave his Nest, no, never, not until he knew who might be trying to get his attention. As he peered out his various peep holes, he checked to make sure his rifle was ready for any kind of foreseeable action. Still clean from earlier, fully loaded magazine (.223 this go around), suppressor firmly attached to the front of the barrel. Thumb resting so precariously close to the safety. Just the tiniest of flicks would be all it took to turn his favorite toy into a pre-war military grade death spitter.

The dogs began to bark. Titus first, as always, and then the bitches. Which meant some one was a lot closer than the grass covered grounds around his perch. Some one was close to the perimeter, or maybe already inside it. No...No the mongrels would be ripping them apart if that was the case. With a growl, which sounded far deeper after filtering through his multi-purpose face protection, he'd lean his head out of one of the crumbling segments closest to where he'd heard the various noises.

Behind glowing green lenses, his eyes narrowed, sharply. "Hello, neighbor..."

Except he had to shout. And you can't really shout contempt. So it came out more like "HELLO, NEIGHBOR!..."

Joel looked up, seeing a glint of green through a lower section of the Tower. So the guy was home after all, huh? Good.

"Ho!" he called back up, waving slightly. "I got somthin' to talk atcha 'bout!" Joel settled himself down and rested against the barricade, hearing the barking and snuffling of the dogs on the other side as they tried to figure out just who and what he might be. Hell, for all he knew, they probably thought he was lunch, even if the sun was riding a little past the high point.

The angle of the shot was a tad much for anything his bullpup could pull off. With a curse, Marcus sat himself down next to his peephole. "Well? I'm not coming down, and the dogs sure as hell ain't gonna let you up. Go ahead. State your business." Maybe he could pull of a decent shot with his revolver. Maybe. Part of him doubted it though. Father had taught him not to take shots he wasn't sure he could make, no matter how well stocked the ammo reserves were.

"Don't mind the mutts! They won't touch you so long as you don't try and climb the fence."

Joel shook his head with a laugh. Crazy ol' bastard was still crazy, that was for sure. He looked up a moment later.

"How's about we work together sometime?" he hollered up to the man. "After all, you got these here dogs, I got a fair good shot with my rifle, as sure as you've got with, well, whatever that thing I seen ya with is. Figure it wouldn' hurt too much to work together every so often. Plus, if nothin' else, we got one helluva nice shootin' range between us. Got control of any and all trav'lin' in the area. You intrested?"

Oh.

This was rich.

It was all Bhadra could do not to laugh, and he couldn't even do that well. Before he knew it, after some minor resistance, the resident of the old Washington Monument began to laugh, heartily.

"You know, I've always thought about picking up a partner or two. Someone who can rain hell down on whoever I've been paid to kill with me. Or someone who I can send to scavenge for me, while I keep watch," Because Marcus would be damned if he let anyone watch his back. "You know. A regular buddy, some one I can talk to other than the mutts. But..."

He'd let his thought hang. And hang. Hang so long it hurt. "But...no. I'm not much of a fan of working with others. My grandfather was a loner. My dad was a loner. See where I'm going with this? Bhadra doesn't play baby sitter, and Bhadra doesn't like people in general. You've probably got some good reasons we should do it. Save it. The only company I need are my mutts, whoever is unlucky enough to find themselves at the business end of my rifle, and the occasional whore. But feel free to stick around. You haven't caused me or my dogs any trouble. No need to kick you out yet."

"Baby-sitter?" Pssh, Mr. Bahada, I'd be more like a second pair'a eyes afore I'd be a lil' baby to ya." The kid scoffed and wiped at some dirt on his nose. "Have it'cher way, though. I just figured that since we got such good sights, we could be in tandem." He shrugged, and settled his rifle against his shoulder, resting it comfortably in a vertical position.

"Say, you hear any news from around? I know you go out more of'n than mahself, so you gotta have some kinda gossip, right?" he asked, trying to at least make the conversation take a more pleasant turn. After all, he'd not interacted with the man more than just passing glances through either his rifle's scope or from over a hundred yards out in passing.

At least he took the rejection mostly in stride. Good. As much as the dogs would probably love another hot meal, Bhadra didn't exactly like to have the ground level of the Nest covered in blood twenty-four seven. "No, no such news. When I do go out, I don't tend to socialize much. Mostly just shoot whoever has something that catches my eye, or whoever I've been paid to. Last I heard, though, all the gangs have started up their usual activities again. Lots of shenanigans going on in the East, I think."

If fact, any day now, he was sure a contractor would come along from one of the major powers. It'd been several months, almost an entire season, since he'd last been hired by any of them. Any day now. Any day. This particular day, however, had dragged on too long, and seemed to have no end of interrupters, visitors, and solicitors. "Not to be a bad neighbor or anything, kid, but I won't lie. Today has been a shit show. I lost out on a potential major haul of loot because some albino fag in a skirt, an uppity little cunt of a girl, and some leather bound butch decided to come out the wood work and fuck with my kills and claims. If you don't mind, I'd like to return my indulgences before too long."

Joel gave a quick, sarcastic salute.

"You got it, Mr. Bahada. I'll keep out an eye'r two for 'em, and maybe I'll pop a shiny lil' bullet neat into the pale one for ya." He chuckled and stood himself back up, shouldering his rifle with the ease of a hunter. "An' try not to git'cher self killed. I ain't one for takin' care'a no dogs, and my place ain't set for it neither. Hope to see ya 'round."

After checking his weapon once, verifying that it was as smooth in action as it had been when he'd left the Castle, he began heading home. Despite the compulsion he felt to check it again right after, he walked calmly, once more taking the odd, crouching walk he'd used before once he got into the longer grasses on the Mall.

Back