Open Rune Wars

So, I know the parties are supposed to be competing, but is the nature of what that competition looks like TBD by the roleplay? For example, the parties could basically be working together, but each "competing" to prove themselves to the other, show themselves as more skilled/useful/ect... and essentially wind up as allies. On the other side of the spectrum, the parties could essentially be attempting to murder each other to keep the other from claiming the glory or rewards that would come from killing this goblin.
Basically wondering if you wanted this to go a specific way, or if it's fine if we do whatever.

Also, did we want to put together a character page/OOC chat for this? Seems like we have enough people. More can probably join as we go if there is more interest.
Yes, I asked to get it going yesterday so I’ll make posts today.

Characters can try to work together but the North and East population don’t trust each other. Not to say it isn’t possible to work together.

The monsters will not work with either side.

Players actions will determine competition with each other. Initially each party will be unaware of the other.

Ah okay, I see. I thought we'd all be starting in an audience hall, and be given the quest by The King of Solty Rei or something. I was kind of imagining the start of Pathfinder: Kingmaker if you've ever played it.

I know I said this already in your other interest thread, but I'd probably be a gnomish tinkerer. Difference is that here I'd be a symbolist.

You mentioned that symbolists can imbue symbols upon an object and then use that object. So, a pistol-shaped rock could be imbued with a symbol to fire elemental magic, or a hammer could be crafted with a symbol on the head to create a concussive shockwave on impact. Is that a correct interpretation?

Or, perhaps, could I carry some sort of paper tabs with me, perform a ritual on the tabs to, say, effect a land mine, and then just scatter those on the battlefield? It would take prep work, but it seems viable to me.
Symbolist magic requires valuable resources think of costs similar to creating magical item's in D&D. While you could create mines, it'd be highly costly to do so, so it isn't a common practice. Symbolists would craft a magic weapon like a sword or a bow that enchants arrows with fire. But Fighter or Archer could use said weapons too. The resources to create them is expensive too. So it isn't like a Symbolist would have a bunch.

Where a symbolist shines on the field are there magic rituals. These aren't expensive to make, still they cost and are typically the symbols needed to activate them are written with magic powder so only so much can be carried. Magic rituals created with powder are temporarily at best because if someone changes it or messes it up the circle will no longer be effective, the wind, water etc. could do this. Of course you could always add parts to the Magic Symbols that don't actually matter. That way the uneducated couldn't easily mess up the ritual magic.

ritual magic has to be specific in nature, like it makes all goblins stronger while they are in this circle etc. So preparation can be difficult. The less specific less powerful the results is. But you could use ritual magic to increase all offensive magic cast within it. etc. Magic symbols put together must be for a single magic ritual, they cannot overlap. You can setup magic rituals ahead of time to create powerful offensive attacks or defenses, but they take time and they can't overlap each other. Expect a ritual to take up more space the on the ground the more powerful it is. The more space it takes up the longer it takes to create.

Ah okay, I see. I thought we'd all be starting in an audience hall, and be given the quest by The King of Solty Rei or something. I was kind of imagining the start of Pathfinder: Kingmaker if you've ever played it.
The East side will start like that. The North side will start slightly different than that.

Reactions: Zat
Back