Open Rune Wars

Norwaven

Deific Reality
Rune Magic

Runes are of ancient magic long lost to the world. Relics of rune magic still exist throughout the world, however, most of it is dormant. Rune magic was considered extraordinarily powerful. Many items were crafted utilizing Runes and with these items, the world was nearly destroyed. The power was so devastating even those who practiced it sought to make it forbidden and destroy all the items created with Rune Magic. The task proved to be impossible not even Rune Magic could destroy all of them. Remnants of Rune Magic still exists today. Time took its course and items crafted with Rune Magic either lost their powers or were simply lost.

Introduction
Recently Rune Magic has reemerged granting those who obtain them supernatural powers and abilities. Worst monsters of the world have obtained it. A goblin single-handedly took out one of the great city nations with it. Most believe the goblin simply found a relic of the ancient magic and somehow activated it. There are a few who believe the goblin actually learned the ancient art. Survivors mentioned the monster claimed it had a master who granted its supernatural powers.

The King of Solty Rei, a port city nation, called forth adventurers. He promised wealth to those who proved worthy of a quest to slay this goblin and others like it. Other cities merely believed it was a hoax of some kind since a goblin had no way of destroying a city nation and believed a dragon was most likely the culprit or a rival city that did not want recognition for the deed. The lost city nation was near Solty Rei so it was in their interest to take action.

World Map

View attachment 9836

Countries and Places

Solty Rei is one of the most powerful city nations in the East.

The Eastern Countries are all city-states with a few outlying villages to the North of them and to the west were vast expanding empires.

The Western Empire is considered the most powerful and advanced country in the world. It boasts the best academies with a host of races within its borders. Slavery is used as its manpower a staple of its society. Those of not human descent are all slaves within the Empire, therefore, it is not visited often by those are not human. Although they do have some Dragons and Titans who live among them who they have not enslaved.

The Northern Kingdom is a young country and a mix of races that most others consider to be savage beasts. They are all called beastmen by outsiders. However, within the county, they have several races that they distinguish as completely different ones. The Wolf People, the Cat People, the Deer People, the Bear People, the Bird People, and the Snake People. There are sub races among them and recently some countries have discovered these beastmen as they called them are actually quite intelligent and cultured. The Northern Kingdom was made up several countries that were literally divided by the different races. They use to fight quite often among each other. The Western Empire started expansion into their Kingdoms. They realized they could only defeat the Western Empire band together and formed the Northern Kingdom. It has been practically a stalemate since. Still, the People as they all call themselves are not welcomed in other nations yet.

The Barren Lands was in between the Eastern countries and the West. The Barren Lands was land still scarred by the ancient war with Rune Magic. Nothing had grown there for 10,000 years. Only Titans, Dragons, and Gods lived that long so only they had memories of Rune Magic. The Barren Lands served as a buffer between the Eastern Nations and the empire in the west.

The Forbidden Forest was once the greatest nation in the East. It was a nation of elves and is believed to still be a nation of elves, but not even elves can visit the forest. When it was a nation of elves it was not known as the Forbidden Forest. Most elves then lived in the Forbidden Forest, but something happened and the great divide occurred. Outside of elves, no one knows what happened, but Great Elven cities were built outside of the forest, and the forest itself closed its borders and kills all who intrudes. It is unknown if there is still a thriving nation of elves who dwell within the Forbidden Forest. Even the elves who left it believe the magic of the elves who stayed to close its borders may have crafted magic that doomed all of them.

The Northern mountains are full of Gnome and Dwarven Kingdoms. They are known as the best craftsman in the world. The Gnomes for trinkets and wondrous items, the Dwarves for weapons and armor. The Northern coast lay beyond their homes which is of jagged rocks and treacherous seas. The Northern Kingdom is on the other side of these waters and so is separated solidly from the East.

*Other Nations and places will be added as the story progresses

City Nations in the East Player Races

Humans: Humans are the most common of all the races and multitalented.

Elves: Elves are long-lived and are efficient in Archery and Magic

Dwarves: Dwarves are nearly as long live as elves. They are efficient in forging weapons & armor and melee combat. Dwarves have no affinity for magic.

Gnomes: Gnomes are as long-lived as dwarves are. They are efficient in crafting trinkets and wondrous items. They are efficient in symbol magic and prefer magic over other types of combat.

City Nations in the East Player Occupations

Non-Magic
Archer: A master of ranged combat
Soldier: A master of melee combat
Knight: A master of Cavalry combat
Thief: A master of traps, pickpocketing, acrobatics, and has some knowledge of combat.
Assassin: A killer and master of quick strikes in melee and range.
Ranger: A master of survival in the wilderness and normally serves as a guide. They are good archers and decent in melee combat.

Magic
White Mage: A master of protection and healing magic
Black Mage: A master of offensive magic
Red Mage: Can use a combination of Black and White magic
Caller: Is able to form contracts with monsters and train them and call them to their aide in battle.
Symbolist: A master of written magic. Symbol magic is used to instill magic into weapons, armor, and items. It can be used to create wards and circles. Symbol magic is often referred to as ritual magic since it takes 10 minutes if completed quickly to do any Symbolist magic. Symbolists do not adventure often as a result as their magic is poorly suited for battle. If they battle at all it'll be with items they crafted or in an area where they've had time to set up their magic ahead of time. Symbol magic is more powerful than other forms of magic but it takes much longer to employ All of it requires materials and magic instrument for drawing the incantations.

Northern Kingdom Player Races

Wolf People: Are the most common race in the Northern Kingdom, much like humans are in the rest of the world. They have keen senses unlike humans and are slightly faster and stronger than humans. They are about 6 to 7 feet tall. The Wolf People are not as industrial as humans are, but they are resourceful and survivalists. Wolf People are bipedal and utilize tools to build and fight with as humans do. Their features, however, besides their hands are completely canine in appearance. The sub-races are wolves, foxes, hounds, beagles, shepherds, etc. Besides their appearance, they are pretty the same.

Cat People: Are agile, quick and capable of making great leaps. They tend to be weaker and smaller than humans. They stand about 4 to 4 1/2 feet tall. The Cat People are Bipedal and known for their cunning abilities in battle and normally lead battles of the people. They too, like the Wolf People utilize tools for building and fighting. Subraces are lions, cheetahs, cougars, small cats (tabby, maus, siamese, etc.), tigers, etc.. Besides their appearance, they are pretty much the same.

Bear People: The Bear People are strong and fierce. They stand from 7' to 8' tall and are the largest of the People. Bear People are often noble warriors. The Fur colors are of whites, browns, and blacks.
Deer People: The Deer People are the most numerous of the People but at the same time less numerous as they are a mix of races. Despite being mix of a variety of different mammal humanoids, they all stand on average between 5' and 6'. As a result, they are considered to be the most versatile. The Deer People represents an alliance of these races, and each race by themselves is actually a minority. The Deer in this group proposed and put together the alliance and the others at the time elected that all of them will be called the Deer People as a collective as a result.

Bird People: The Bird People are often called the feathered folk, and their colors posses an incredible amount of variety. They are the smallest of the People and stand 3 to 3 and 1/2 feet tall. All of the Bird People are capable of flying, which they use to their advantage, as well as their uncanny sight. However, because they are born to fly, their bones are hollow and therefore are as structurally strong as of the other races. Though they do have six appendages: 2 arms, 2 legs, and 2 wings.

Snake People: The Snake People are the strangest of the people, but are known for their mastery of the mystical arts. They are not known as powerful warriors but they do have them. Though they are limited as their arms are small. Their bodies are where their strength lies. Snake People do not have legs but are capable of using tools with their hands. The Snake people are not humanoid like the rest of the people.

Northern Kingdom Player Occupations

Non-Magic
Shooter: A master of ranged combat
Warrior: A master of melee combat
Riders: A master of Cavalry combat, though they do not use horses, but a variety of creatures, including lizards, to giant birds such as rocs.
Thief: A master of traps, pickpocketing, acrobatics, and has some knowledge of combat.
Slayer: A killer and master of quick strikes in melee and range.
Scout: A master of survival in the wilderness and normally serves as a guide. They are good archers and decent in melee combat.

Magic
Shaman: A master of protection and healing magic utilizing spirits
Majin: A master of offensive magic utilizing taboos. Taboos fuel the magical energy and requires one to pursue a taboo practice, such as not bathing or murdering innocents. It differs pending on the user. Though the latter of murdering innocents are considered to be evil.
Beast Master: Is able to form contracts with monsters and train them and call them to their aide in battle.
Mystic: A master of protection, healing, and offensive magic. Only the Snake People can be Mystics. At the same token none of them can be Shaman, Majin, or Beast Masters. Their powers are the same as the Black Mage and a White Mage abilites. Mystics as a result represent the most powerful casters in this world, unless of course someone could use Rune Magic.
Symbolist: A master of written magic. Symbol magic is used to instill magic into weapons, armor, and items. It can be used to create wards and circles. Symbol magic is often referred to as ritual magic since it takes 10 minutes if completed quickly to do any Symbolist magic. Symbolists do not adventure often as a result as their magic is poorly suited for battle. If they battle at all it'll be with items they crafted or in an area where they've had time to set up their magic ahead of time. Symbol magic is more powerful than other forms of magic but it takes much longer to employ All of it requires materials and magic instrument for drawing the incantations.

Game Objective
Runes have come back. The goal will be to collect as many relics as you can and use them for yourselves. To begin with I'll limit relics to one per person until everyone has a rune. After which it'll be two and so on. Runes will grant a player a supernatural ability such as super strength, invisibility, or X-ray vision. Of course, the runes will come later, initially, the party will go on a quest to track down the whereabouts of the goblin.

This RP would either be a Multi-thread one or Epic

Last edited:
This seems interesting to me. The east would be friendly to the Western and Northern races combined, and he party could be formed of any or all races, correct? And there would naturally be some racial prejudice between the party members, particularly between humans and all others, and even to a lesser extent between all other western races and northern races, right?

Provided we can get a big enough adventuring party, you could count me in.

The Eastern City States are more tolerant of other races but not all of them. Even elves and dwarves are in some cases racist against other races as well. But in large the racism is worst in the Western Empire.

It’s setup to have two different adventuring parties. One for the East and one for the North.

Practically speaking they will be in competition with each other.

Too bad because I have a lot of stuff prepared for this RP.

I have previously ran this RP to a completion, so that's why. But it's been awhile but it was a lot of fun so I wanted to see a different set of characters and run this to it's completion again.

I have the kickoff posts for the Northern and East prepared already. Truthfully there are three sides, the west is not one of them. The Goblin's side is one, xD.

It's essentially because the Western Empire has advanced so much that the chance of the old knowledge coming back to them has been reduced to pretty much nothing. But it doesn't mean the Western Empire is not a major player as a result. They have other tricks up their sleeves.

Last edited:
All these options and no dragon people. I'm being discriminated against!

...jokes aside, this seems pretty interesting. I'd be in.

How big would be ideal for each adventuring group?

Hello! I'm interested in joining. I like the idea of the snake people. Are they basically like this Naga? I'd be happy to be a Mystic, but if @Sanity43217 would rather have the magic side of things to themselves, I could be a thief or assassin.
I also assume I'd be joining on the north side, given the species.

I'd be willing to join the east to make the parties viable.

I know I said this already in your other interest thread, but I'd probably be a gnomish tinkerer. Difference is that here I'd be a symbolist.

You mentioned that symbolists can imbue symbols upon an object and then use that object. So, a pistol-shaped rock could be imbued with a symbol to fire elemental magic, or a hammer could be crafted with a symbol on the head to create a concussive shockwave on impact. Is that a correct interpretation?

Or, perhaps, could I carry some sort of paper tabs with me, perform a ritual on the tabs to, say, effect a land mine, and then just scatter those on the battlefield? It would take prep work, but it seems viable to me.

Reactions: Zat
So, I know the parties are supposed to be competing, but is the nature of what that competition looks like TBD by the roleplay? For example, the parties could basically be working together, but each "competing" to prove themselves to the other, show themselves as more skilled/useful/ect... and essentially wind up as allies. On the other side of the spectrum, the parties could essentially be attempting to murder each other to keep the other from claiming the glory or rewards that would come from killing this goblin.
Basically wondering if you wanted this to go a specific way, or if it's fine if we do whatever.

Also, did we want to put together a character page/OOC chat for this? Seems like we have enough people. More can probably join as we go if there is more interest.

So, I know the parties are supposed to be competing, but is the nature of what that competition looks like TBD by the roleplay? For example, the parties could basically be working together, but each "competing" to prove themselves to the other, show themselves as more skilled/useful/ect... and essentially wind up as allies. On the other side of the spectrum, the parties could essentially be attempting to murder each other to keep the other from claiming the glory or rewards that would come from killing this goblin.
Basically wondering if you wanted this to go a specific way, or if it's fine if we do whatever.

Also, did we want to put together a character page/OOC chat for this? Seems like we have enough people. More can probably join as we go if there is more interest.

In fact, there's a whole forum for this. The boss-man just has to set it up.

Reactions: Zat
Back