Saving the Fringe (Faction/character mix high-fantasy RP)

Lazzamore

WAAAAAAAAAA-
full

Hey guys. My idea this time around is for a Small-Scale Nation building game, ran in the same thread and alongside a Character-driven game. The Idea is that between 3-5 of us are running small factions in this fringe region, and 3+ others are playing individuals of varying power levels. The RP will be very free-form; Be whatever you like in the context (within reason!)

The Characters
You will either be playing a small-scale faction/organization, or a powerful individual. Notice that the individuals are stronger than ordinary per verbiage, in order to balance both play styles. You are not at all required to play a very powerful individual, if you want to be something more ordinary. The power level is a cap, and even then shouldn't exceed that of the organizations at the start.

The Factions are no bigger then cities. Individual tribes, colonies, city-states or even guilds or religions are the sort of things you would be running.

The Map
I will draw our map based off our character sheets. Faction players (or anyone who wants to, really!) will be given a chance to describe or post pictures of their territory and landmarks, which I will work into our map.

The Setting
We live on the fringe of civilization, out beyond where the sane man dwells in mediocrity. We live in untamed lands, bordered east by Ezmaria, where Ezmar Khan rules with an iron fist. South of us are the mighty Swordlands: impossible, vertical mountains, a wonder of our world. North is the 'Westerly Sea', and to our west... No one knows. Wilderness as far as the living have traveled.

Chances are you come from Sunu-Ra, the only port city nearby for miles. Host to a number of adventurers, outskirt guilds and strange religions, the city is the best hope for taming these lands. Not that the land wants to be tamed, mind you: out there are monster tribes and fey as numerous as any nation of man or other cohort in the heartlands.

Maybe your here as the forerunner of salvation; maybe you know the way. And maybe the blasted fools of more 'civilized' parts called you a Heretic for it. Or maybe you ARE the salvation, maybe you just need a bit more power to show the folks back home that submission is a virtue. Maybe your salvation in the Uknown itself; And getting lost in the untamed wilderness and, therefor, truly living, is what the gods made you for. Heck, you might even be here to stop our 'salvation', as one of our monsters or a wild spirit in the woods.

Well, whatever it is, one things certain: Your accomplishing nothing while standing around!

(thanks for reading this! Let me know if you are interested, I'll work on Character sheets once we have the people!)
Faction Sheet
Name:
Type:
(Religious, Municipal, Corporate, etc... What would best describe what your group is?)
Effective Demographics: (List any major races and professions, and a rough idea of how many of each. Most factions won’t have more than 10,000 people, we are mostly looking for colonies, militias, tribes etc... Not whole nations. In some cases, you may be an extension of a larger group, in that case only list your controlled, effective numbers you have at your personal disposal.)
Location: (describe your faction or colonies locale, territory and surroundings)
History: (Use at least two (short) paragraphs to cover how and by whom your faction came to be)
Heraldry: (Symbols used to identify your faction. Just a pic is sufficient, though either a pic or description will work.)
Leaders: (Who runs you faction? In the case of a religion, list your mortal leader as well as your deity.)
Other Important persons: (Optional. List any or all below using the below fields as a suggestion for each one’s sheet.)
Name
Race
Short Description
Character Sheet
Name:
Race:
(What ethnicity/creature is your character?)
Home: (Describe the place and territory in which your character lives/spends most of their time, and that is visible on a map. This is entirely optional.)
Biography: (Give a brief (1 or more complete paragraphs) description of your character’s motivation and important backstory information you know.)
Description: (Either two sentences or at least one picture, both are fine.)
Flaws: (List atleast 2 traits (however minor/major) that could ONLY be considered weaknesses)
Strengths: (List at least 1 trait that is their greatest advantage in any part of their life.)

Please feel free to post Character Sheets in the following linked page: https://www.storytellerscircle.com/...ge-mixed-playstyle-fantasy-ooc-sign-ups.6843/

Last edited:
I'm interested. Could you describe the general monster tribe and what the fey are? As in, what should I be drawing from in the sense of fey: Celtic? Japanese? Norse? Some sort of mix or home brew?

Also, what is this "salvation" idea you speak of in the last larger paragraph?

I was actually thinking 'fey' as in 'magical being', like in the D&D sense, and for monsters there are countless races to choose from (Orcs, goblins, dragon-y things, make one up even) so by Monster tribes and Fey I really meant unusual creatures that didn't mesh with 'standard' society (A tired cliche I know not everyone likes, but got my point across I hope).

Now for my biggest let-down today: I used 'salvation' as a common theme only for dramatic purposes (I was getting a bit too poetic, I guess). But, now that you mention it, it might make a pretty good plot too...

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your interest! As long as we have 3-ish factions and 3-ish characters (I intend to play one of both, you guys feel free to do one or the other or both, whichever is fine) we have enough players. I will be gone today and most of tomorrow on a weekend trip, but I'll try to have our CS done this weekend, just no promises or anything. Thanks again.

I have finished the Character sheets! Hopefully you guys won't find too difficult, though they are meant to probe your characters in ways that I think will help there depth.

I'll post them here and add them above in the OP, and try to finish mine as a sample soon.
Faction Sheet
Name:
Type:
(Religious, Municipal, Corporate, etc... What would best describe what your group is?)
Effective Demographics: (List any major races and professions, and a rough idea of how many of each. Most factions won’t have more than 10,000 people, we are mostly looking for colonies, militias, tribes etc... Not whole nations. In some cases, you may be an extension of a larger group, in that case only list your controlled, effective numbers you have at your personal disposal.)
Location: (describe your faction or colonies locale, territory and surroundings)
History: (Use at least two (short) paragraphs to cover how and by whom your faction came to be)
Heraldry: (Symbols used to identify your faction. Just a pic is sufficient, though either a pic or description will work.)
Leaders: (Who runs you faction? In the case of a religion, list your mortal leader as well as your deity.)
Other Important persons: (Optional. List any or all below using the below fields as a suggestion for each one’s sheet.)
Name
Race
Short Description
Character Sheet
Name:
Race:
(What ethnicity/creature is your character?)
Home: (Describe the place and territory in which your character lives/spends most of their time, and that is visible on a map. This is entirely optional.)
Biography: (Give a brief (1 or more complete paragraphs) description of your character’s motivation and important backstory information you know.)
Description: (Either two sentences or at least one picture, both are fine.)
Flaws: (List atleast 2 traits (however minor/major) that could ONLY be considered weaknesses)
Strengths: (List at least 1 trait that is their greatest advantage in any part of their life.)

Quick question: do we have an OOC forum to post these to?

Also, I'll be employing a faction and a character (or three, not sure yet.)

I can accommodate that. After one question/admission. I kinda failed to name our RP. So... What should it be? any suggestions? Maybe after the world itself? (Maganon, Dandorra, What other names might we give the world?) or perhaps give it a name for the structure, like a video game... I dunno. Any thoughts?

Lazz, you're a gem and let no one tell you otherwise. After the world sounds good and both names sound fine to me. Another idea is to vaguely frame it after a theme of the RP. Such as "The Search." While bland, it at least begs the question as to what people are searching for. After all, everyone came here for a reason or already lived here. Perhaps they are searching for a way to conquer the land, or oust these invaders, or to simply search and start a new life, or for salvation. Vague enough that we can all fit, but framed enough that it gives a them to unite behind.

Lol you can call me Day if you want. Any specific time you need my character sheet?

Not really. I haven't even finished mine, just as long as it doesn't take more then... A week by now ? How's that sound?

that sounds great, i need a little bit of time to get back in the swing of things

Back