Interest Check Scarlet Nexus Roleplay

Dodoco King

Benefactor
t620x300-6a3af1fb96056b3902d75eab807b4651.jpg

OP | ED (tba)​
Introduction
In the year 2098, a psionic hormone was discovered in the human brain, granting ninety-eight percent of the population extra-sensory powers and changing the world as we know it. Suddenly, people could transmit their thoughts to one another, tell the future, and control the elements. Technology became intertwined with the human brain, building another reality to those who possessed the hormone. Neural linking, augmented reality, and telepathic communication became commonplace. Where there were once wires, now lay psionic threads, connecting one being to another.

Just as humanity evolved however, so did Earth.

Deranged mutants known as Others descended from the sky, thirsting for those very same brains. Highly resistant to conventional attack methods, the world needed to find a way to battle the overwhelming threat and preserve humanity. Eventually they formed the Other Suppression Force (OSF). With branches all over the world, the OSF scouted those with acute extrasensory abilities, known as Psionics, and drafted them into the organization as humanity’s last line of defense. Whether voluntarily or forcefully, recruits have spent their lives training to protect humanity and salvage the cities lost to the Others.

As the centenary of OSF's formation rolls around, the emergence of psionic-resistant Others threatens to tip the balance between the OSF and Others.

---​
Terminology:

Psionics: Making up 98% of the population, Psionics are humans possess a psionic hormone in their brain. Aside from wielding extrasensory abilities, they have access to the images and technology granted by the Global Neural Network.

Global Neural Network (GNN): The nexus of all psionic communication, the GNN is responsible for all the images, messages, and projected via psionic energy.

PsyNet: PsyNet is a specialized communication system developed by the OSF to allow encrypted communication and ability-sharing between operatives.

Duds: Duds are a derogatory word for humans that cannot produce the psionic hormone. They lack powers and cannot see images projected by the GNN. Though many have tried finding ways to make this population to generate psionic hormones, all attempts have ended in failure.

Hueco Paraiso (HP): HP is one of the largest cities in the world and home to Southern California's OSF branch.

Others: These are grotesque, otherworldly creatures that came to Earth ten years after Psionics emerged in the human population. Coming in a variety of different forms, the only commonality between them appears to be their hunger for human brains and inability to communicate.

Other Suppression Force (OSF): An organization dedicated to protecting the world from Others. They have branches all over the Earth and psionics from all walks of life. For more information, see the OSF section.

Struggle Arms System (SAS): This is a system that allows you to temporarily borrow the psychic abilities of your party members by connecting your brain to theirs via a virtual cable.

Setting Information
Though many parts of the world were destroyed during the initial wave of Others, society has rebuilt itself and adapted to both the Others and Psionics. Technology has far surpassed that of modern day. Everything runs on renewable, zero emission power and trains can take a person from one end of the country to the next within minutes. Satellites orbit around the Earth, emitting signals that tie everyone together on Psynet's neural network. Nearly every city is outfitted with projectors that work with the Global Neural Network to augment reality and light up otherwise dull cityscapes. Paper and analog devices are relics of the past, replaced by digital and psionic communications. Even smartphones are being slowly phased out in favor of earpieces. Aesthetically, neither the architecture nor fashion has changed much from the 2020s save for psionic adornments that were popularized once the GNN became accessible for every social class. It's not uncommon for someone to be wearing a plain shirt littered in holograms.

The city we will be focusing on is Hueco Paraiso, a rebuilt version of Los Angeles, California. As one of the largest cities in the world, Hueco Paraiso is a sprawling metropolis filled with the latest technological wonders, entertainment, and culinary innovations.

Key Locations:
OSF Headquarters: Located in Los Santos, this is the hub of all OSF activity.
Los Santos: Whether for business or pleasure, all who come to Hueco Paraiso flock towards Los Santos.
El Ray: It wouldn't be a coastal city if there wasn't a beach! White sand, a lively boardwalk, and perpetually sunny skies make El Ray the perfect place for tourists to relax.
Downtown Paraiso: Shopping, clubbing, dining, there is nothing you can't find in downtown.
Hollywood:
Serenity Hills: The quietest area within Hueco Paraiso, Serenity Hills is the most residential out of all the areas in HP.
Calavera City (formerly Kimikura): A once thriving commune at the edge of Hueco Paraiso, it's since become inhabitable due to the large Other population.
The Underground: Aside from a robust subway system, the Underground is home to a variety of indie shops, arcades, and speakeasies. If one looks hard enough, they may even find something more exotic than the usual fare. Be warned that without a well-seasoned companion, you may find yourself swept up by unsavory figures.

Other Suppression Force (OSF) WIP

The Other Suppression Force is a worldwide organization devoted to eliminating Others and protecting humanity. Unlike other police forces, the OSF is not beholden to a single country nor does it answer to the United Nations. Instead, they operate as a collection of smaller branches located in nearly every country, each headed by a different member of the OSF's head council. Though eighty percent of members are soldiers, it's not uncommon to see medics, technicians, and even clerical workers wandering around the building.

Council Member: The highest authority in the OSF, council members make decisions regarding the future of the OSF and manages funds for each branch.
Septentrions: These are an elite class of soldiers and said to be the most powerful of whatever branch they reside in. As the name suggest, there are only ever seven at a time, ranked from first to seventh based upon how powerful they are. Though some choose to be mentors, most are sent out on dangerous missions.
Soldiers: As the name suggests, these are the members that go out on the field to protect Others, rescue citizens, and clean up any collateral damage caused by battle. Enlisted members are entered into a training program that can last anywhere between three and ten years depending on a person's age, abilities, and role. Though the OSF is primarily focused on team building, combat training, and ability usage, those who begin training as a child are given an education equivalent to that of a public school. Upon graduation, soldiers are given Anti-Aging Drugs (AAD) in order to keep them in their physical and mental prime.
Medics: Whether psionic or not, medics keep the OSF happy, healthy, and battle ready. Though they learn some self-defense, their education is primarily focused on administering immediate and long-term medical care for soldiers and rescued civilians.
Operator: Operator is perhaps, the most specialized role. In addition to having a different program than the other careers within the OSF, they must complete an aptitude exam that tests their compatibility with PsyNet. Upon completing the program, operators will be assigned to a designated team.

Regiments
Team 1:
Captain - TAKEN by Dodoco King
Soldier 1 - OPEN
Soldier 2 - OPEN
Soldier 3 - OPEN
Operator - OPEN

Team 2:
Captain - OPEN
Soldier 1 - OPEN
Soldier 2 - OPEN
Soldier 3 - OPEN
Operator - OPEN

---​

TL;DR: I am making a casual/spinoff roleplay set in the Scarlet Nexus universe. No prior knowledge of the game is necessary (thought it helps) as we will be using original characters and a different city. Structurally, I aim to have the roleplay be more of a "monster/mission of the week" format with a loose plot happening in the background. Much of this thread (and graphics) are still a work in progress, but this roleplay's concept can be boiled down to "a squad of psychics fight otherwordly creatures to save humanity in the distant, high tech future."

Last edited:
Are we going to be using the SAS?
mare we limiting what powers people can have?

1. Yes we will be using SAS. I plan on opening up two teams (five people each) but I'm willing to do more if there is more interest.

2. The only powers I will hard line disallow are time travel /manipulation, precognition, and reality warping. Anything else I'm generally fine with, though I'll ask a person to change their character's ability if it's too broken or doesn't fit into the RP. I'm not opposed to overlap either as long as we don't have a bunch of people with the same ones.

That's fine with me as long as the character's list of acquired powers didn't include the things I listed earlier. My philosophy with these types of things is that something being OP isn't about the inherent ability itself but how the RPer writes it in game. As long as it makes sense and you aren't trying to godmod then you're fine!

I have several ideas for my character:
  • Psionic Amping/Damping (soldier)
    • Ability Description: Brainwaves are actively sent out and tuned to boost or weaken specific power. It requires a great amount of concentration and skills to use. When shared through SAS, most users will be able to easily boost their own power as they are very familiar with their power.
  • Scry and Holographic Projection (operator)
  • Transformation (soldier)

Hey thanks for your interest. Power amplification/dampening, scrying, and holographic projection all sound like great choices.

Could you elaborate more on what transformation would entail? Would that be something that solely changes your characters appearance (closer to illusions) or do they also take on traits of whatever they turn into (actual shape-shifting)? Are there any limitations on what they can transform into?

As a general announcement, I will also be imposing a two character limit and that if someone does decide to double up they can pick up to one team captain role. This may change in the future based on interest or if I decide to add more squads.

I'd be interested. I'm not familiar with this lore, but I can be in a hurry. I enjoy a bout of wiki crawling. How long has the team that we're going to be on been together, or is that subject to the players?

Oh that's definitely not an issue! The wiki is a bit sparse so if you have any questions about the RP/game that aren't on there you can also ask me as well. As for the teams, I haven't yet decided how long everyone will have been together but I'm leaning towards all of them being new. Any pre-existing relationships will be up to the players however.

Wonderful. Ah, sad that the wiki isn't too fleshed out, but I'll be sure to be familiar enough I can ask questions. Also, new teams sounds pretty sweet. I usually think about character backstory before I think of powers and all that, so I'll probably wait until I see more about the characters everybody else is going to play. Though relationships like being siblings or stuff like that sounds fun if anybody wants to go that route.

I’m very much interested if you are still open to more players! I’ve been reading up on the lord and everyone’s questions and it is very intriguing to see what will become of this! :3

Wonderful. Ah, sad that the wiki isn't too fleshed out, but I'll be sure to be familiar enough I can ask questions. Also, new teams sounds pretty sweet. I usually think about character backstory before I think of powers and all that, so I'll probably wait until I see more about the characters everybody else is going to play. Though relationships like being siblings or stuff like that sounds fun if anybody wants to go that route.
That is fine with me! I will be doing more world building this weekend so I'll hopefully have some more locations and such set up.

I’m very much interested if you are still open to more players! I’ve been reading up on the lord and everyone’s questions and it is very intriguing to see what will become of this! :3
We are definitely still looking for more players! Currently I plan on having two teams of five people each.

I’m thinking that of playing a character similar to Karen Travers, though much earlier in his career. Probably only just fresh out of training. With only four powers that he got from working with the same team during basic training with the SAS. Thinking Hypervelocity, Teleportation and Electrokinesis. Not sure what the fourth power will be.
Hoping to start out where he has yet to gain a lot confidence in his powers, to being a confident soldier, and probably picking up a few powers along the way.

That sounds like a lot of fun, especially since the powers he picks up are gonna have to be dependent on the other members of the RP!

Hey thanks for your interest. Power amplification/dampening, scrying, and holographic projection all sound like great choices.

Could you elaborate more on what transformation would entail? Would that be something that solely changes your characters appearance (closer to illusions) or do they also take on traits of whatever they turn into (actual shape-shifting)? Are there any limitations on what they can transform into?

As a general announcement, I will also be imposing a two character limit and that if someone does decide to double up they can pick up to one team captain role. This may change in the future based on interest or if I decide to add more squads.

I will only create one character. I will likely choose Power amp.

Can I play a vampire?

The only two species present in the roleplay are humans (psionic or non) and Others. If you wish to be a psionic with a vampire-like ability (e.g. blood sucking/manipulation, shapeshifting into a bat, venomous fangs) or an Other with those types of abilities I would be more than happy to assist you with hashing out the details.

The only two species present in the roleplay are humans (psionic or non) and Others. If you wish to be a psionic with a vampire-like ability (e.g. blood sucking/manipulation, shapeshifting into a bat, venomous fangs) or an Other with those types of abilities I would be more than happy to assist you with hashing out the details.
Cool beans.

Back