Scientist Seeks Pirate Crew (Come play pirate with us!)

BrookeDi

Benefactor
You're at the local tavern on an island somewhere in the Caribbean; it's called many things, but the one things it's most well known for is it is a haven for Pirates. The island is often over run with them, and when a pirate and it's crew need a longer rest on land, they often aim for this little slice of asylum.

All around town you've noticed parchment nailed to trees and the like, an ad seeking a pirate crew. The pay isn't much, so you mostly ignore it and go about your business until you end up at the tavern. It's late in the day and many are drunk.

A flirty barmaid serves your drinks, a clumsy stable boy tries to navigate his first drink as he takes a break away from his master. There's a drunk in the corner, who may or may not be dead (spoiler: he's sleeping).

The door opens and in walks a guy who looks like he's never had a drink of rum in his life, let alone a second on a pirate ship. He's thin, nervous, and a little twitchy. He eyes the room at large and clears his throat...

-------
@Ailis and are creating a pirate RP! It's mostly silly at this point (because of our characters), though I imagine things might grow serious at times. The above is what will lead into the opening scene. More details will come on the scientist searching for the pirate crew, but he's got little funding and so he can't exactly afford to hire the best of the best, so he'll likely end up with a bunch of misfits who will take whatever pay offered. CS will be posted below, resume style (i.e. fill out in character~).

We love questions! Ask all the questions! Please let us know if there's something you want to know!

Appearance/face claim:

Resumé

Name:

Next of Kin (emergency contact):

Pirate Skills:

Previous Pirating Experience:

References:

Why do you want to go on this adventure:

What do you want done with your body if you die:

Confronted with an enemy do you:

a) run and hide
b) stand and fight
c) forget you have a weapon and panic
d) Laugh in the face of those who dare oppose you

Appearance/face claim: Victor was born to be a pirate. He snuck aboard a ship in his early youth and has lived aboard a ship ever since. He was handsome, once, but now he’s old, very wrinkled, and missing a few teeth. The combination of the drink and exposure to the elements has weathered his skin into a dark, wrinkled, leathery appearance. His eyes are often lidded with drunkeness. The only real attribute left for the man is his skill with the sword and his full head of dark hair; even his greying beard is full, covering most of his face. His body is still able, even with the bit of a beer gut and he’ll cut you quicker than you can say “old man”.

Resumé

Name: Victor Dawson

Nickname: Devil’s Smile, not sure why but that’s what I ended up with

Age: Somewhere between 55-65... even I don' know anymore

Next of Kin (emergency contact): Dead. Just tell the bar in Nassau, they’ll mourn my loss of business.

Pirate Skills: I been a pirate all my feckin’ life, ya git.

Previous Pirating Experience: feck you

References: Kiss me arse.

Why do you want to go on this adventure: If I’m gonna die it’s gonna be on a ship, not in this damn bar. Plus the bar lady is goin’ and I’ve me eye on her for a’while now.

What do you want done with your body if you die: Bury me at the nearest island and sound the cannons as is tradition

Confronted with an enemy do you: That’s a dumb question. B and D.

a) run and hide
b) stand and fight

Last edited:
Appearance/face claim: Niamh Ward is known around Nassau for her beauty, though not as much for grace. Her accent may come from her English mother and history, but her features are from her Spaniard father (though she didn't take his name), strong and dark, skin tanned and freckled from growing up on the sun-kissed Island. She has a dark mass of tangled, curly brown hair that reaches just passed her shoulders, often pulled back into a plait when she finds it too hot. Her eyes are a lighter brown specked with gold, often twinkling with mischief and are framed by long, dark lashes and rather expressive eyebrows. She's smaller in stature, but lean muscles make her more than capable of holding her own.

Resumé

Name:
Niamh (it's pronounced Neev) Ward

Age: 21, if I don't get out of here now I'll be married off at the price of a goat

Next of Kin (emergency contact): Elizabeth Ward, but if she knew I applied to this she'd be serving my head on a platter

Pirate Skills: I'm more than capable of turning anything into a weapon, just ask the men in the tavern. I've smashed at least three quarters of them over the head with their own pints before they were even able to slur over their own names

Previous Pirating Experience: Non-existent, but my second cousin once removed is a pirate.

References: Most of the men at that tavern have been knocked out by me in several occasions.

Why do you want to go on this adventure: My life isn't meant to be wasted behind a bar, I'm sure of it. Also, I definitely wouldn't mind getting away from some of those ratty men at The Whistling Donkey, the majority of them don't seem to realize that they're old enough to be my father.

What do you want done with your body if you die: I'd prefer to be buried here, in Nassau, but you could also just tie rocks around my ankles and throw me into the sea I guess.

Confronted with an enemy do you: b, stand and fight.

a) run and hide
b) stand and fight

Appearance/face claim: Jimmy is probably much too fair to live in the Caribbean, but his mum and dad decided to move them there when he was barely eating solid food. His skin is milky and easily burnt, though it's hard to tell if he's actually burnt or if he's just flushed red with embarrassment. He has a shaggy mop of dirty blond hair and barely-there stubble that grows awfully patchy. He's relatively tall, but also oddly lanky.

Resumé

Name:
James Kidd, but, uh, people just call me Jimmy

Next of Kin (emergency contact): My mum? Victoria Kidd

Pirate Skills: Uh, I can probably swab the deck pretty well?

Previous Pirating Experience: I went fishing with my pops once, but that's really the only time I've been on the water. Sorry.

References: Jack Galloway, um, my current employer

Why do you want to go on this adventure: My mum told me I need to learn what being a real man is like, she doesn't want me cleaning stables for the rest of my life I guess.

What do you want done with your body if you die: Wait, I could die? Does my mum know about this?

Confronted with an enemy do you: ... Probably c

a) run and hide
b) stand and fight

Last edited:
Someone mentioned that the plot was a little vague, and that's mostly intentional.

Essentially our characters will be recruited for a mission to recover ~something~ needed for a science experiment. Because the recruiting scientist could not get anyone on board for a Navy mission, he's had to take what little funds he has and seek out the help of pirates (more of this will be covered in the opening post). Because his funds are minimal some of his offers are going to be not as desirable as others. Feel free to make a totally competent pirate character, though!

Appearance/Face Claim: A good-looking man of English origin, with a strong accent to boot. He's around 5'10", and well build from lugging big nets of fish from boats to his fishmongers. He has long, curly blonde hair that sits on his shoulders (though sometimes in a ponytail) and dark green eyes. He was originally pale, but having been living in the Caribbean for six years he looks more tan. Confidence simply seems to flood from his pores like an infectious disease. He has slim features, with a narrow nose and thin lips. He keeps himself clean shaven, simply because he feels a beard makes him look older.

Resumé

Name:
Kenn Irving

Next of Kin (emergency contact): "Oh, I've a few lovers. Angela Murphy, Linda Sanders, Theresa Scott, any of those will do. I can give some more, if you'd like."

Pirate Skills: "I'm one hell of a fisherman, and a fishmonger too. I can fight, a little, but only with a pike. I'm pretty good with a rowboat, if it's needed."

Previous Pirating Experience: "I've been out in the ocean ever since I was ten. That must count."

References: "Ask anyone who likes a good dinner."

Why do you want to go on this adventure: "Hopefully, we'll end up in England at some point. I'll be jumping off there. If we don't, however, then drop me off at England once we are finished."

What do you want done with your body if you die: "Drop me in the ocean as close to my country as you can manage!"

Confronted with an enemy do you: "Make sure the woman are all safe, and then stand and fight! B!"

Kenn washed up on the shores of the Caribbean when he was eighteen. It wasn't like one of those weird young adult books, however, as he could clearly remember that he came from the a small seaside town in England, where he was ninety percent sure he worked as a fisherman and fishmonger. He believed that he may have gone out on a fishing trip, and a storm had wrecked his boat, though he couldn't quite remember that part clearly. As soon as he could manage, he started working in the town's fishmongers, hoping to save up and catch a boat back to his hometown. He spends most of his free time flirting with women, making it something of a game to see how many girls he could have in love with him at once. Though you may expect him to never stop talking about his home, he avoids talking about it as much as he can and gives very minimal details. I wonder why...

Last edited:
I'm about to leave for class so the thread won't be put up until tomorrow. In the meantime, put in your resumes! Feel free to answer as if your character were being asked the questions rather than writing in answers. I will try to answer questions as best as I can tonight, if not tomorrow.

Appearance/face claim: Twila is a fairly shorter girl standing at about 5' 2" she isn't usually taken seriously. She'll surprise you however being feisty. Even though she studies star charts and weather patterns out at sea, she can fight well. She's thin, but lean with some muscle mass and has her left arm full of tattoos. Twila's right arm however, only has a tattoo on her shoulder before it reaches and armband she always wears. Her brown hair has some red to it and it is long, hanging past her shoulders. Even though its thick and annoying in the heat she prefers it flying loose and even has some feathers tied into it. She's originally from Scotland so she has a strong Scottish accent. Her eyes are a hazel with green in them and are framed by lighter eyelashes. Instead of looking Scottish, she now looks more like a native to the sun-kissed islands of the Caribbean.

Resumé

Name:
Twila Deighton (more commonly "Devil's Grin")

Next of Kin (emergency contact): "If you want to travel all the way to Scotland then be my guest. Otherwise none."

Pirate Skills: She's a Sea Artist. They study the stars and their charts to determine the right course and study the tides and weather to guide the ships out of shallow waters/avoid sea storms.

Previous Pirating Experience: "I once sat in the roost for a year guiding a previous ship? If that counts."

References: "I mean, I've got meself. You'll just 'ave to trust me."

Why do you want to go on this adventure: "It's getting boring sittin' around and doin' nothin'. I kinda long for the seas again."

What do you want done with your body if you die: "Just burn it, throw it out to sea with rocks or somethin'. I don't particularly care much."

Confronted with an enemy do you: "Definitely b.), why would I do anything but?"

a) run and hide
b) stand and fight

Leaving this here for myself as well. Feel free to read it though.

Her parents let her leave home at 14 and along the way she picked up her skills as a Sea Artist. After having left home for so long her skin is now no longer pale, but a darker olive color. In the heat of battle she'll be grinning like a maniac among the carnage, earning her the nickname "Devil's Grin". She may be short, but she's feisty and doesn't take any crap from anybody. She doesn't even look like a fighter at first, but get her into one and you'll quickly learn the skills she picked up over the course of nine years as a pirate. For Twila's job she likes to climb to the roost's nest or anywhere high she can get to. She also rather likes to drink a lot booze on off times, she doesn't care what type of booze either as long as she doesn't die from it. (Here's some images of what I picture her to look like.) {One} {Two} {Three}

Heh. We've got devil's smile and devil's grin. XD

Approved!
Ahh I can change it? I completely forgot lmao. Ohhh wait. What if she was like, adopted by your character or something after leaving Scotland and that's why she's called 'Devil's Grin'? I mean, some of her backstory and stuff would change, but that's okay.

Last edited:
Appearance/face claim: Kairos spent most of his young life aboard a well-diverse pirate vessel. However, if questioned, he'll usually claim not to remember a time before he was adrift with a pirate crew. After a few years, he managed to climb his way up the ranks to first mate where he spent a few years. To the outside world, he was probably privileged and well-treated, but in fact Kairos hated most days. Eventually, so fed up with the bigotry he was shown, Kairos left the crew he was working with, hoping to get hired on with a better crew even if that meant having to work his way up the ranks again. However, life was less kind. After several rejections, he learned that the crew he had been working for had blocked him every time, spreading rumors or just flat out lies about his work ethic and even tales of an attempted mutiny.
pirate_by_darkgraphics_kristen-d1px6ct.jpg

Resumé

Name:
Vivien Crowland

Next of Kin (emergency contact):
None known, probably someone on the old crew, but we don't have contact anymore

Pirate Skills:
Sailing, navigating, delegating, maintaining order

Previous Pirating Experience:
Former First-Mate for crying out loud!

References:
Good luck.

Why do you want to go on this adventure:
I'm broke and can't get another hire, what more do you want?

What do you want done with your body if you die:
Tie me to anchor and let me sink

Confronted with an enemy do you:

a) run and hide
b) stand and fight
d) Laugh in the face of those who dare oppose you[/spoiler]

Last edited:
Back