Secondary

Matt stood with her, and Jackie followed suit to show them out. "Good luck, you two," she said, half warning, half encouragement. "I hope it goes well. Really."

"Thank you again," Matt smiled, resting a hand briefly on the woman's arm before backing out the door.

As it shut behind them, he rubbed a tired hand over his face, then turned to Olivia. "That wasn't awful," he finally said. "That was... that was far better than the response I thought we would get, actually." His voice dropped some. "I don't like lying to them, though. I know we have no real options here, but I don't like it. It feels wrong, when we know what we're going to one day ask for."

She turned a slight shade of pink and nodded. "It's not... required or expected, though it would be nice to have them on our side. I guess... I'm just hoping that it doesn't get to that point? I don't mean it to be manipulative and I don't like... lying."

Olivia sighed and leaned against the wall, taking a break before they went on to the next apartment. "If, when, it comes to that, then we'll just have to hope they'll continue to stand by us but... even if they don't want to physically fight for us, we still need people who are willing to... verbally fight for us, if that makes sense?"

Back