Seed Saga OOC

I’ll be creating a NPC for the side that has 1 character of course said character won’t be a Seed.

Seems I should just create 2 NPCs.

I'm fine with being on the hero's side, but not super tied closely to the belief. I don't even know what the person's deal is. First, I think I could slum around on the Demon Lord side for a while and then make my way over to the good side (maybe with undead in tow?) Who knows. Hopefully though, we'll be able to get in a position where we can interact as quickly as possible.

And NPCs are cool, I wanna meet them, especially since I kind of want a social-based Seed. Would something like being able to see what people want at the moment be a reasonable Seed?

Last edited:
Yes it would be reasonable skill but it will also be limited on who you could use them on.

NPCs will not be Seeds just the players.

Players would not be required to let you know what they want so it would not work on them. It won’t work on all NPCs either.

Name: Kelgroch Urach-Tarain (Glenn Scottsdale)

Race: Orc

Appearance: Picture

VI3l3o4.png

A tall, bearded orc. An exemplar among the race and usually one of the more muscled of the mortal races that anybody from outside the orc tribes has ever seen. Anybody who is familiar with the tribes, however, recognizes that he is a particularly scrawny specimen. He doesn’t seem to like conflict or exercising much and has rather soft and uncalloused hands for his species.

Personality: Kelgroch, in comparison to his previous life is miles more humble. At least outwardly. His scheming ways have been arrested by his upbringing, leading to a much more relaxed and easy-going outer manner. Inside, however, he maintains his thirst and ambition to climb, exacerbated by his Seed, which dangles a promise for power and manipulation just out of his reach. He is constantly frustrated with his kind’s unwillingness to participate in intrigue, and also other races' perception of their inability to do so. This is balanced out by fear of him succumbing to the Black Rage or offending others of his kind, thus leading to his general agreeableness. Lastly, he’s felt the stirring of a conscience for the first time in a long time. It makes the trampling of hopes and dreams so much harder when one can see them blooming in such vividness.

Something of a coward. He’s never been in any fight that he wouldn't prefer to worm his way out of by talking or lying first.

Background: Glenn in his original life was a shameless sleazebag and a fantastic politician. He had a slight anger issue, but nothing his rich family couldn’t smooth over with enough therapy. With a silver tongue, some good looks, and a touch of corruption, he climbed the ladder to become the Vice-President of the United States—an envious position to be in, particularly when the president was never more than a greased stairwell from death, anyway. Unfortunately, his presidential ambitions were cut short when, ironically, a disgruntled White House correspondent that he had used and abandoned assassinated him during a press shoot. One moment he was smiling for the camera, the next there was steak-knife in his stomach.

When he woke up, he was an orc baby born to the small village of Tarain. There, he was raised by a loving mother, the wife of the current chieftain. There he was first exposed to the orcs and their culture; due to their people’s prodigious strength and infamous Black Rage, an affliction which causes any orc sufficiently incensed to fly into a berserker rage that would have them tear anything in front of them limb-from-limb, they lived in a exceptionally polite society. Lying and anything outside of almost utopic cooperation was discouraged, as offending another orc in any way was a deadly sin. Every outburst of the Rage only reinforced this belief.

And what Glenn found was a people who he could not ply his trade on. There was no room for politicians speaking empty words. Rather, the only way he could gain any form of influence was to practice what he preached. So he did the only thing he could in this situation.

Leave.

As soon as he was old enough, he set out from the village, with much teary-eyed farewells from the village he lived with for many years—despite his aversion to the concept of fair work, old habits died hard and he did enough of the community service crap that he almost believed he was genuinely being altruistic—and set off into the world. He made money as a porter/bodyguard and traveled around, thinking to save money and start himself off as a merchant. Unfortunately, he ran into an obstacle he didn’t exactly have a whole lot of experience with: discrimination.

Turns out, if people expect you to fly off the handle at any moment, they don’t tend to give you a chance in much. It was only thanks to his anger-management courses he had taken that he managed to not cause incidents. In the depths of this, however, his Seed finally awoke. During his childhood, he had always seen flashes of different colored lights which would flash around the other orcs in the village. He had always assumed that they were some odd-magic phenomenon, something to easily be dismissed. Yet now they blossomed in full, and he could see a beautiful bouquet of ephemeral flowers and plants that only he could see. In speaking with people, he discovered that they revealed deep-rooted desires and wishes of other people. And best of all, they revealed the best way to act on those desires. Suddenly, becoming a political schemer didn’t seem so out of reach.

One thing bothered him though. While some wishes were tainted and dark, revealing themselves and strange and dangerous flowers, others were shining and pure. He could clearly remember the lights that bloomed when he last saw his mother and the people in his tribe. Beautiful and proud—a genuine desire for him to be a good orc.

Sometimes he wishes that he could just forget that sight, and focus on just pruning and cultivating the flowers on his climb to power, but every so often, he’ll see a petal flutter in his vision. And he’ll remember.

Skills:

• Eyes of Desire: Strange and wondrous plants bloom in his vision, revealing instinctually to him what the deep-seated desires of others are. They also show him how he might accomplish those goals or dash the hopes of them, though it is no prophecy and is far from a sure thing. Currently, his lack of contacts and the prejudice that he faces in day-to-day life prevent him from exploiting his power to the fullest, but as he gains allies, this may change. Most people have unique flowers, so it’s always a little difficult to first figure out what each means, but he can usually tell from certain trends what each flower entails.
    • (List of flower traits, haven’t decided. Was if y’all have flowers or plants that you want to represent your character let me know. I don’t want Kelgroch to know immediately what your character wants, but I want him to at least see your flower. I think it’ll be cool.)

• Orc Physiology: Orcs are generally more well-built than other species. They have strong jaws and visible fangs that they use to tear into meat. It is a daunting task to fight one in physical combat. In terms of tricking them? Usually less so.

• Black Rage: A impulse that is present in all orcs. If an orc is made sufficiently angry, they will fly into an uncontrollable rage. In this state, they are stronger and faster and have a brutal cunning that is absent in their normal state. An episode of the Black Rage that does not result in multiple deaths is rare. The orc continues until they are killed or collapse from exhaustion after which they remember little except a pulsing, black haze. It is unknown if this is an inherent part of their biology or some ancient curse laid on their race, but it has played a defining role in shaping their society into what it is today.

Equipment: Nothing special, just what you’d expect your average traveling sellsword to have.

———

Alright, here's my tentative character sheet. Let me know what you think and if there's any way I can edit it so I can tie backstories better. If I need to adjust the Seed, I'm open to suggestions. (Also let me know if I posted this in the wrong place, I don't know what I'm doing.)

Last edited:
Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to this.

I like the idea of the flowers. There is large variety of flowers you can use as well. It'll be interesting how you used them with your character.

I had one question though and it's about the Black Rage. How much stronger and faster? What type of cunning? Brutal just states it's vicious in nature not what actual benefit is gained. I'd also like to know if they can tell the difference between foe and enemy when they are in the Black Rage. Do they have any control at all within it? If they can tell between friend and foe how do they do it? Vision, scent, voice?

Outside of that I really like your character concept.

I don't really have hard mechanics for the Black Rage besides that if he gets too mad, it ruins any kind of diplomacy he might have going on. The "goal" that he has is just to kill everything around him, which is in fact, usually not a benefit at all. He can't tell anything beyond shapes as it's all a pulsing, black fog on his vision. In terms of strength and speed or cunning, I don't imagine it's significantly higher, it's just that more of him is devoted to it and the savage disregard for his own safety means it'll be difficult to predict.

Would the ability to make golem-like automata be too broken? I'm imagining a foundation more in magic than in science for his tinkering. So, for instance, to make a golem he might need stone and sinew for the structure, but also a flower or something like it for the life force. And if he did something like shooting fire, some cinnabar or something.

I'm also not talking like war machine behemoths, just like a single automaton that suits a specific task.

Do you have some of your character fleshed out?

Not much, but I'm starting to work more on it. What I got so far includes a general idea of his ability, which is the ability to switch between sets of various equipment and abilities, each one pretty much at its bare-bones form at the start of the RP. I'm still wondering if that would be ok for an undead character?

It's no problem for an Undead character, but something like that will give your character greater versatility than others. Just keep it in balance with what other characters can do.

Hm. Jas, does your gnome character have memories of Earth? Do other people's characters? Or is that not something y'all really care for?

It's in my history. Her past self was Faith Briggs from Frisco, TX. She was a privileged brat who hit bottom when she was cut off by her parents. It's in the character sheet. It says the memories of Earth faded, not that they disappeared. It's likely that they'll come rushing back if an event were to occur based upon them.

Last edited:
Back