Seemingly Random [Semi-open]

"What an excellent suggestion Anthony! You have gained 5 Fun-venture points! You are in player-generated world N3R-Z4N and are currently onboard a vessel in the deadly vacuum of space. Did you know that all of you would be permanently damaged and likely disabled after only twenty standard seconds of exposure! Incredible! Because your benefactors care about your safety, they have provided you with some tools that they have designed to aid you on your adventure. Each of you will receive a personal protection bubble that will ensure that even though you have made and error so bad you ended up in a vacuum, you will not die! Each of you will also get a weapon themed especially for you!"

Three orbs dropped out of the bottom the the drone, roughly the size of an orange and coloured in the red of Anthony's hair, a blue to match mars' stripes, and a light grey to match Gabby's eyes.

Following the orbs, a mid-sized hand and a half sword with a similar stripe to mars', and a curled up light grey, futuristic-looking segmented metal whip that seemed just as flexible as leather.

"Oh, it looks like your benefactor has allowed you to take your companion and augmentations with you instead of providing a weapon, Anthony! Either they do not care for your safety, or they believe you yourself are a weapon! It is far more likely that it is the first though, the benefactors are so much more powerful than you that it is a wonder they care enough to make sure the air is safe to breath!"

Gabby patted the metallic dog again, but tried to listen to whatever the strange orb was talking about. Benefactors? Player generated worlds? Weapons? The shining metallic whip caught her eye but she didn't reach for it. These benefactors, whoever they were, were strong enough to pull her from the shadowlands of death into some sort of living state and that was both amazing and terrifying at the same time. Gabby reached up with two fingers and slid them along her throat, checking for a pulse. No pulse.

"So I'm visible and tangible but not alive...and apparently not free," she muttered. The red-head, seemed ready to dive into whatever madness they had found themselves in and that could be dangerous. Just because the orb says they had protection from space did meant it wasn't lying or that there weren't other things to deal with. "These benefactors chose us for some sort of game? What's the goal?" she asked the orb curiously.

Anthony turned away from the little floating eye, and began to study the walls around him. They were a matte grey. The metal walls betrayed nothing of what might be on their other sides. As his eyes scanned the room, the iris of his right eye spinning as the camera within its artificial pupil began to soak in the scene. There were many crates, many of which were now broken. Those that were broken were also empty.

"So, we're in space, on some sort of trading vessel. Obviously, they just unloaded their goods as the crates are all empty." The cyborg picked his way through the mass of boxes to a door on the other side. Reaching out, the young man tried to open the door.

"The goal here is for you to discover! The player will have designed this scenario so that some form of forwards progression will always present itself, unless you are so incompetent as to miss the many clues and discoveries they have laid out for you!"

mars walked past Anthony, giving him a good meter of space before he stopped by Gabby. The woman was curious, the man... thing, seemed like he was uninterested in anything but himself. His bruised back was proof of that. He gave a cautious wave to the other Alien, looking back at the robot as it spoke again.

"Well, not a trading vessel, but that will be for you to find out. Good luck players, and remember that winners are always rewarded!" With that, the drone vanished, leaving their equipment floating in the air.

"Uh..."

The door Anthony tried opened with some resistance. It had a mechanical airlock seal to it, but the lever seemed well cared for. With the seal broken, the bright overhead lighting strips came on, and the hallway beyond seemed lit as well.

Gabby shook her head at the cyborg's eagerness and then picked up the strange whip, attaching it to her utility belt at her hips. Her grey jumpsuit was tattered but the the patches on her sleeve were still intact. Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, she looked to the other creature. He seemed nervous so she gave him a gentle smile. "I suppose I should introduce myself properly. I'm Gabby. I hope the cyborg didnt hurt you too much."

Gabby heard the door open and it called her attention to the vacant hallway beyond the cyborg's shoulder. "I would wait just a moment. We dont know what's in that hall."

Hearing the girl speak from behind him, Anthony turned back around.

"What do you suggest I do then?" Shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat, the redhead stepped backwards into the hallway. Immediately, Ceril ran towards her master's side, making sure to keep an eye out for anything that might be behind him.

The hall was long, at least a hundred meters in either direction, and doors were evenly placed along either side of the matte grey walls that looked just like the one he had exited from. A larger set of sliding doors was on the end of the hall to his his left next to some form of control panel, with a smaller on his right side end with a more standard look to it.

"No... not really. I'm mars. Hi."

He took the sword out of the air, staring at it a little confused. He had never used a weapon in his life, much less a sword. He liked the colour, sure, but it was just strange to hold.

"One more thing!" The drone appeared behind mars this time, making him jump in fright. "You weapons may include some significant abilities that primitive being such as yourselves would call "magic"! You will learn to understand these abilities, and possibly even receive new clothing or equipment, as your proficiency with the weapon increases! One last helpful tip before I disappear again, bullets hurt! Goodbye!"

Gabby rolled her eyes at the cocky cyborg and stepped forward into the hall. If he wanted to play bird-dog and bring out any traps in the lab rat maze, who was she to stop him?

"Nice to meet you, Mars. You're th first person Ive met in a thousand years, so thank you"

With that said, she stepped out into the hallway as the drone spoke again talking of their weapons. Apparently there were skills to be learned with them. Her fingers brushed over the metallic whip, feeling how cool and smooth it was. She by passed the doors for a moment, more interested in the panels at the end of the hall. Having been a pilot and watching the world grow on without her from limbo did give her a chance to learn many things and she wanted to see what it was about.

"You know, it would have been nice if he said anything about my machinery, but I guess I can upgrade myself."Anthony chuckled to himself as he began to open the doors around him.

Storage, not unlike the room they just came from, but these ones were filled with items. Mostly uniforms and clothes, some had a few computers. There were also a few boxes of 10mm bullets in one of the rooms. Finding a large, military issued, black duffel bag, Anthony began to shove a few sets of clean uniforms into it. Gathering together the computer equipment, the cyborg loaded that stuff up too. After finding the ammo, Anthony placed the three boxes of fifty rounds each into the duffel bag.

Hopping over to another room, Anthony was greeted with what seemed to be some sort of dry storage for a kitchen. There were several cans of beans,and MREs, of which, Anthony took them all.

Feeling pleased with himself for looting what he thought was the most important, the cyborg headed down the hall to the little monitor. However, as he walked down the hall, he caught sight of a few small, almost unnoticeable things. Security cameras, old and decrepit, the things didn't move to survey the hallway, but that didn't mean they couldn't capture pictures, video, and sound.

"A thousand... How... Nothing here makes sense." mars grabbed the last orb out of the air and held it in his hand, lacking any sort of pockets in his shorts. The woman was strange, for sure, not quite as strange as the metallic man, the "cyborg", but strange. He followed quietly behind her, watching the man dash in and out of the rooms, scavenging who knows what.

He ran his hand over the rubbery grip of his sword, inspecting the blade with an absent mind. This had to be some sort of coma dream, maybe he got hit with lightning and then someone found him. Yea, that made sense. He pinched his scales, wincing at the pain. No, not a dream then.

He looked up at Gabby, eyes dancing over her strangely soft, hairless skin. There was a warmth to her, but it was like she wasn't as warm as she was meant to be. Cold in some way, missing something. He looked at his own hands, then his belly and feet, making sure nothing was amiss. He seemed to be just fine aside from the bruises, and as dry as ever despite the storm he was just in. His tight, light blue shorts were undamaged, unlike her tattered, charred uniform. She must have been a mechanic, or a pilot maybe. The patches on her sleeve looked too official for them to be anything but national though.

Looking past her sleeve, he began reading the words displayed on the futuristic-looking panel just as Anthony arrived to them. Elevator Descending, followed by a slowly but surely dropping number. "Uhh..."

"Sorry about that!" The drone appeared again, half intersecting with the doors to the elevator. mars jumped back again, nearly dropping his sword as he hit the wall. "But it looks like someone made a mistake. There were supposed to be four sacrificed, not three! Silly, isn't it!" Well, I'll just have your newest teammate come in now while time is stopped and we can fill them in!"

Sparks looked around. Coast was clear. She bent over and turned on the ruined machine. Nothing. A few tweaks later from her multitool on some of the connections and... Success! The teleporter whirred to life with a gentle hum. Again she looked around. Everything was cleaned up from the accident, the bodies, the furniture... the scorch marks... But the infrastructure remained defiantly exploded, like the victims of that fateful day were haunting her from across the grave. She shook her head to clear it. "No time for tears, they would ruin the makeup." She took the Skrul™ from the console and stepped onto the first portal. She took few deep breaths to steady herself.

"This has to work." The button was there to press, the same one that killed hundreds of innocent people. The same one that was supposed to enter the world into a new era, an era of moving forward and exciting developments. She remembered pitching the idea to the crew, how ridiculous it sounded to them. She of course defended her project with sound logic and convinced them to help her out. "You know what a Skrul™ would look like to someone 20 years ago? All leaps start off crazy." She remembered the day they were supposed to unveil it to the public. Such a huge crowd, swarms worth of butterflies in everyone's stomach... Sparks remembered how dustan went with his working joe (bug fixing by sparks), Balthazar with his animal talker(Telepathic mic made by sparks)... Heck, even Gwen pulled off a decent performance with her advanced smart house(thanks to the material she got from Phantrion thanks to the portal). But when it came her turn, the portal linking inside the crowd, the screams, the explosion. She pressed the button. "I won't let it happen again." She saw the beam appear around her, heard the crackling of the teleporter powering up, feeling her molecules being transferred into data..... And then black.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up on the floor. My eyes looked down a long hall with several doors set across it. I got up and waited for the dizziness to pass. Someone was...talking? Yeah. Behind me. I turned around to find a bat...man...thing... a drone of some sorts, a man with a robotic arm and a mechanical dog, and a lady that did not feel all right there. "It worked!" I said, albeit a bit too enthusiastically and not nearly cautiously enough. "...No, too odd." maybe it was... "Chronal misalignment?....Techs too far off...." I was lost in thought for a moment... And then it dawned on me, head drooping to the floor. "I... failed... didn't I? And this is some sort of limbo?" I quietly moaned in disappointment. I turned to the bot. "Am I right?"

Last edited:
"Well you're not entirely wrong!" The bot exclaimed. mars spun around, running out of space to back up and just hitting his arm on the wall again.

"Welcome Tristen Trace! There was a miscommunication between your benefactor and I and we started off without you. Your team was just about to discover the first of many ways they could die from making stupid descisions! They will fill you in an all the rest I'm sure, but first I need to give you your personal atmoshperic field generator!" A blue orb, sumilar in colour to the one mars recieved but with a red band across it, slid from the bottom of the drone and floated over to her.

"Well, I guess that's enough of a pause for you all. Make sure not to die!"

With that, the bot vanished again and the numbers started to descend again down to the one already marked on the screen. 6. 5. 4. 3. ding

Gabby looked to the strange woman, and then to the rest of them feeling a bit lost, which was saying something compared to endless years in limbo. She raised a tentative hand and gave the woman wave. "I'm Gabby. And yes, we are just as confused as you are."

The sound of the elevator dinging caught her attention and she backed away from the door just a little. This entire place felt like one giant rat's maze and she had no intention of dying again, though technically, she didn't currently have a pulse.

Anthony gave the new arrival a cursory glance as she arrived. Then turning his attention back towards the camera he said, "Hey guys, I don't think we're alone here."

As if on cue, the elevator began to descend. "Ceril! Bite!" shouted Anthony. Almost immediately the large, black dog turned towards the elevator's doors, snarling.

Finally, the ding sounded, and the doors began to open up, ever so slowly.

Tristen Trace? I have not heard that name in years... How did that little thing know? I removed it from public records... and none of m- oh right. This is limbo. That is going to be weird getting used to. Then I guess I should center my attention on the elevator. We know we are on the second floor and that there are at least 6 of them, not including any basement levels. The drone said that we would be under threat soon, so the lift could be booby trapped, or filled with soldiers- or seers... Or is it a neutral party and... "You assume hostility. It could be any number of things."

None of them had a chance to respond. The crack in the door that slowly opened quickly accelerated, and the thick steel doors parted with a hiss into the walls. There were four men in the elevator, crouched down with rifles in hand, and a fifth in front of them with a ballistic shield that blocked his body. A blue glow seemed to be emanating from its center, creating a translucent barrier between the newly arrived people and them. All of them wore black and blue fitted armour suits with molded plates across their full body. The armour seemed rugged and airtight, but not bulky. Their helmets were nearly spherical, save for the protrusion that covered their faces with a black glossy pane of some sort. Various equipment sat in pouches along their waist, along with two secondary weapons and a baton each.

"Stowaways: appendages where we can see them!"

I quickly lifted my hands up and sidestepped to be closer to the wall. "Woah, were not supposed to be here? We were teleported here against our will." I said quickly. I hate it when I speed-talk. "Nice armor by the way reminds me of an elite group of special ops guys the 6-4 only your shield is longer and has a physical bit. Props to you on superior energy shield use. Wait is this a ship? Can I please speak to the captain?"

Stopping in place, Anthony gave Ceril the signal to hold off. Immediately, the wolfhounds aggressive stance was lost, replaced with the harmless sit of a well-mannered hound. Sighing, Anthony dropped the bag that he had been carrying and let his arms stand out.

"Sorry about that. As the girly over there said, we are here against our wills. Just look at the bat/lizard thing over there. Ever seen one of those, ever even heard of one of those?"Anthony trembled inwardly. He might be strong and durable, but not against several space marines as it were.

mars' arms shot up next to him immediately, his sword clattering down to the floor dangerously next to his foot. He chose to remain silent, frozen in fear of the sudden appearance of such far-out aggressors.

Gabby slowly raised her hands but kept them at chest level. Whoever they were thought the four of them were stowaways and they could either be reasoned with or it could turn into a fight. "Easy," she said calmly, "We're here by accident."

Back