Self-inserts, ocs, and shipping

AmatsuOtaku

Professional fanboy
I enjoy writing fandom-based stories and doing rps. I often have one or more ocs who closely resemble me irl. I tend to ship whatever I want, just whoever I think would be cute together and completely ignoring the canon. Other times I address the canon and make a point of changing it. I know some people will be horrified at that, and I apologize, but that's just how I prefer to write.
That being said, what is your opinion on self-inserts and shipping? Is it okay to ship yourself or your own oc with a canon character? What if said character already has a canon or widely accepted ship associated with them?

my oc is a self insert but it is a fantasy version of myself with grossly over exaggerated features, him being a alien fleshy blob capable of mimicking the appearance and ability of organic creatures is a metaphor for my body dysmorphia and his cold calculating animal like nature is just a commentary on the cruel nature of man. I stay away from self inserts since I think they tend towards the mary sue category.

I do oc x Canon ships that doesn't change the narrative at all, and I make my character fit in without it being too awkward. Changing the Canon, in my opinion kind of ruins things but that's just what I think.

Personally I prefer oc to self insert but I don't have a problem with it at all.

I often see Caleb can be in an add in for Fate/Stay Night/Fate zero given that NOx his familiar is a summoned version of Fenrir himself, and even sorcerer stabber orphen for sure, given Caleb is based on Krylancelo
I see Selena the way Jessica jones would see in defenders,
and Kali perhaps could add into the vampire city movies, twilight, buffy, vampire diaries, etc.
the issue is that most people NOW dont get into the older anime, Fate, orphen, Slayers, naruto, fullmetal alchemist once I get into the roleplaying again I plan to make unmainstream RPs

While I don't have self-inserts myself, I think reflecting on your character is extremely important in order to make them more realistic. I don't believe it's entirely possible to make a self-insert of yourself just because of how often humans change. Within a day your favorite color can change from yellow to blue. Still, I believe they're fine! They're a way to express oneself and get a picture of what one thinks they are actually like. Self-inserts are not any less valid than other characters. If it makes you happy, then it's good!

I do enjoy ships. I love shipping in a rp or story. It can make it more interesting later and can add twists and turns, depending on the type. As well as good ol' angst. I'm a fan of Canon x Canon, OC x Canon, and OC x OC. I'll take any ship so long as it's legal of course. As for self-inserts, they're hit or miss with me. I don't mind them, so long as they're not an OP, Mary/Gary Sue, that tries to take the show from everyone else. Those are the types I truly dislike with a passion.

Back