ShadowWalker's Characters

What follows is a list of characters I am roleplaying or have roleplayed in the past and decided I like. Most of the beginning of the list comes from 1x1 roleplays, so not all of them were necessarily main characters. This list will probably also give some insight into the genres I prefer.

If you particularly like one or more of the characters, let me know! I appreciate feedback :)

Name: Revenant
Secret Identity: Matthew "Matt" Harris
Hair/Eyes: Black/Brown
Race: Caucasian

Disclaimer: I originally created Matt because I wanted to make a character who was basically Nightwing. I may have a small obsession. Also, this bio summarizes years of roleplaying this character. I have done my best to include only pertinent information, but my attempts at compressing information may have lead to some overly long sentences. You have been warned.

Bio:
Matt was an Electrical Engineering student at the University of Etruria when he met Grace, a natural-born telepath who didn't share her power with others, until she and Matt became close friends. Upon hearing - and seeing - this incredible news, he suggested that they emulate the superheroes he loved to read about, since the police of the city failed to take notice of crimes with few victims: muggings and such. Matt's parents had him studying martial arts from an early age, so he would be able to fight if necessary, and Grace could use her telepathy to prevent fights before they started.

Grace hesitantly accepted, and the two fought small crimes when they had extra time outside of school. They both used hero names that I don't remember, since this roleplay started about five years ago.

Over time, more extravagant criminals began to appear that looked more and more like the "supervillains" from comic books. Notable among these were crime boss Lucifer and his hired assassin Payton, a practitioner of the mystic arts known as The Illusionist, the psychic sleepwalker Somnus, a primordial being who also went by the name Matthew, and a mad scientist hell-bent on mutating her sister's cancer away.

During this time, a sudden power surge while Matt was working on an EE project gave him the ability to manipulate light and shadow. It was this ability that allowed him to keep pace the new supervillains, as it allowed him to hide himself in shadow, bend light around himself to turn invisible, and, more recently, the ability to travel between areas of shadow by stepping into an in-between dimension he refers to as the Shadow Realm, though he refers to the ability itself as Shadow Walking.

When he and Grace broke up an illegal weapons auction by Lucifer, Matt was mortally wounded by the assassin Payton, who had become infected with a virus that is most succinctly described as something between Spiderman's Venom and Alex Mercer from the Prototype game series. For those not familiar, it would start by bonding and forming a symbiotic relationship with a host - it would protect the host and provide the host with cool abilities, while slowly feeding off the host and replacing the host's biological matter with the virus' own, until only the virus remained, with the personality and memories of the original host.

A small portion of Payton's virus infected Matt when she struck the killing blow; there was enough to repair the worst damage, but he was left comatose, all while the virus slowly consumed him. As far as Grace knew, he was dead and the body was missing.

Matt showed up months later, now composed entirely of the virus and possessing new shape-shifting abilities on top of his control over light and shadow. He chose a new look and a new name: Revenant, or "One who returns after death." After Grace accepted this both was and was not her partner, she chose to continue working with him and also adopted a new name: Phantom, or "something elusive or delusive", to match Matt's new name and to reflect her strategy of stealthily taking down criminals by hiding herself from their minds with her telepathy.

In the years to follow, Matt and Grace learned to each master their own abilities and even got married. They continue to fight crime, though Matt has chased Lucifer into a parallel universe while Grace is busy teaching the next generation of heroes.

Note: Grace, Payton, and the mad scientist were my roleplay partner's character, not mine.

Last edited:
Inside the spoiler tag is the closest image I could find to match this character. The image is large enough that it does not fit on the page, though.
Depositphotos_33609239_l-2015.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Name: Lucifer
Secret Identity: Joshua (never came up with a last name)
Hair/Eyes: Brown/Brick Red (Brown when not wearing contacts)

Bio:
Lucifer considers himself to be an "amoral businessman" who believes that even the most selfless act is rooted in selfishness and gets amusement out of showing others this fact. Others call him "ruthless", "evil", and "the devil himself" - the latter being why he chose the name Lucifer. What others
don't know - including himself, though he has suspicions - is that he has minor telepathic ability that makes people more susceptible to his suggestions.

As Joshua, he goes to church every Sunday and is one of the most hardworking people in the congregation, if rather shy. He goes for multiple reasons: a reputation that makes it seem ridiculous that he would also be Lucifer and to amuse himself with the people who convince themselves they do "God's work" for any reason other than wanting to go to heaven.

He made his first public appearance as Lucifer when he attacked City Hall with a gas that completely removed any inhibitions in those affected. As a fun side effect, it also turned the person's skin red. It was also the first abnormal crime that Matt and Grace (see above post) ever responded to. In the confusion caused by the gas, Lucifer had his hired assassin Payton snipe the mayor from a nearby building.

As time went on, Lucifer used his business sense and connections to gain more and more influence through the city of Etruria and the surrounding area, as well as removing all competition by killing all who refused to join him. Payton went from being a hired assassin to being completely on Payton's payroll, then to being his emotionally abused sexual partner (who still killed people for him).

One day, Lucifer enlisted the help of a self-proclaimed "Goddess of Chaos" to swap his mind into Matt/Revenant's body and vice versa, so he could blacken the name of Etruria's favorite hero. Lucifer kept his own body tied up in a secret room on his business compound so Revenant couldn't do anything to stop him. It took Grace/Phantom getting the help of a young woman named Karliah, whom had been unwillingly mutated by a scientist searching for a cure for her sister's cancer. The mutation left Karliah with telepathic powers exceeding Phantom's own, though the process enlarged her brain such that the top of her skull had been replaced with a black glass dome that wouldn't compress her brain.

With Karliah's help, Phantom found Revenant in Lucifer's body and was able to get each mind into its proper housing, only to be surprised by Karliah's sudden betrayal just after. When the minds had been switched back, Karliah discovered in Lucifer's mind the memory of an illegitimate daughter who would be about her age. She didn't have memories of an actual family and was overwhelmed with an attachment to her father (who may have mentally encouraged her into helping him). She joined his side as Lilith and helped run his day-to-day operations, work previously relegated to Payton, who didn't enjoy it anyway.

Payton soon became disillusioned with Lucifer and left him to wander the city and try to find herself.

To date, Lucifer runs the only organized crime syndicate in and around Etruria. He has most recently traveled to a parallel universe with the help of The Illusionist, to try to start a criminal empire away from the annoyance of Phantom and Revenant, and left Lilith in charge of his previous empire. Revenant managed to follow him, however, and is currently trying to find Lucifer before he can cause too much damage to this other world.

------------------------------------------------

Inside this spoiler is the first bit of the roleplay that started with Lucifer going to this other dimension. It is the best piece of writing I have saved that captures a good portion of Lucifer's character. Lucifer is my character, Karma belongs to my roleplay partner (different partner from the one who made Grace, Payton, etc.).

Lucifer sat against the plain headboard of the motel room bed, leafing through the Gideons International Bible he'd found in the nightstand. It was amusing, really, that this group thought they could change people for the better by hiding the "Good Book" in a drawer. He knew the truth: "good" people were never truly good. Even the purest action is rooted in selfishness, if one plumbs deep enough.

He glanced at the old LED alarm clock atop the nightstand. 1:58 AM. Now 1:59. Karma was almost late. To Lucifer, punctuality was the most important quality in an assassin. Timing is everything when secretly killing someone; assassins should be painfully aware of every second as it goes by.

Like a good businessman.

Lucifer closed the Bible and put it back in the drawer where he found it, then stood from the bed. Just in front him was a small closet with a full-length mirror hanging on the door. To its right, the front door. Behind him, the only window. On the same wall as the headboard, by the window, was the door to the bathroom with its standing shower, toilet, and cramped sink. Lucifer was conscious of it all, using the mirror to keep the window and bathroom in sight as well.

Karma had 40 seconds left.

-------------------------------

'Knife, check. Swords, check. Shurikens...oh right, downstairs' Karma thought to himself as he prepared to leave. He was meeting Lucifer in his hometown of Detroit so that Lucifer could give him his debriefing to assassinate one of the governors of the state of Michigan. Seeing that he had about 15 minutes before he needed to head out, he wandered slowly downstairs to get his shurikens. He passed the picture that hung on the wall as he went, seeing the faces of Dinah and her mother, and shook his head in sadness. It was his most painful regret, losing her. No wonder he always spent as little time as possible. He knew it made it hard on his daughter that he was never around, but if he were to face his past, he might permanently be sucked into it and never return. Waves of emotions he had been pushing away for years threatened to pass over him, and he quickly grabbed his weapons and bolted back upstairs.

Once upstairs, he prepared to leave for the motel he was meeting Lucifer at. As he was walking out, he saw a glimmer of strange light flash by the side of the house. He pondered it for a moment, then dismissed it from his mind to think about it later. He didn't have much time now to get where he was going, and Lucifer didn't like to be kept waiting.

Karma reached the motel, and his watch read 1:59 am. He had one minute to reach the room where his mysterious contact is waiting. It'd been a little while since he'd had a lead on a possible mission, so he was excited for the possibility, though nervous that he didn't know who he was meeting. He decided it didn't matter as he smoothly ascended the wall to the window second from the north end of the building on the third floor, first climbing the dumpster, then the A/C units up to the right window. He could sense a cold feeling in the room as he seamlessly slipped through the window, though the temperature didn't seem to be the source of the chill in his bones. He turned quickly to scan the room as soon as he entered, and as his eyes rest on a mirror on the closet. His eyes made out the figure of a sharply dressed man leaning on the end of the bed.

--------------------------

Lucifer made eye contact with the dark figure who crept through the window, briefly registering the stereotypical - and rather cliche - ninja outfit as his eyes slid to the alarm clock. 2:00.

2:01.

"You're a minute late," he noted, turning back to the mirror. "I'm supposed to believe you're this 'Karma' fellow?"

"Hey, you're the one who contacted me." Karma glanced about the room a little bit. It wasn't unlike people in this line of work to set traps for others like them. Honor among thieves is a myth, he learned the hard way long ago. "It's up to you whether or not you believe anything about me."

"Well, Karma," Lucifer placed disapproving stress on the assassin's choice of name. "Are you truly the best assassin in the area, like I've been told?"

Karma could sense distaste from the other man about everything about him. This realization made him even more determined to make him see that he wasn't what he thought he was, and gave him a boost of confidence. "I let my record speak for itself, but you could say that."

Lucifer's eyes flicked up to meet Karma's reflection. "I could, could I? Indeed."

The man stood and straightened his suit. "Consider this a warning, then, and a business proposition. You may receive contract offers in the future to kill me." He started to walk around the bed. "I want you to tell me who those people are." He rounded the corner and continued along the foot of the bed. "If I don't need them alive, I will pay one and a half times what they offer you to kill them." Around the other corner now and toward the assassin. "And if I even suspect that you may have accepted a contract against me--"

A knife materialized hilt-deep in the wall behind Karma as he felt a sharp burning line across his cheek.

Lucifer lowered his arm and stared into the assassin's eyes with his own, cold orbs. If the eyes were the window into the soul, Karma saw nothing in Lucifer's.

"You get the picture?"

The pain in Karma's cheek instantly connected with his heart and a shiver ran down his back. He understood, and while he was unsure that this wasn't just a trap to get him to trust the man, he felt that this opportunity held promise so long as he kept his guard up and protected his own. He nodded slowly and looked away.

"Good. Then we are understood." Lucifer reached into the inside pocket of his jacket and pulled out a burner phone. "This how how you may reach me. Do not abuse it." He tossed the phone to Karma.

Karma caught the phone without looking back, then glanced back at Lucifer while he slipped the phone into his pocket. "Pleasure doing business with you," he said, and with a curt nod, he slipped back out the window and disappeared as quickly as he had arrived.

Lucifer shook his head as Karma left.
He's the best assassin this place has got?

------------------------------------

A little bit of context for the curious: the flash of light was Karma's daughter Dinah, a fledgling superhero who doesn't know that her father's an assassin, only that he's rarely ever home. The bit about "debriefing to assassinate one of the governors" was a lie to get Karma to show up, since Lucifer figured he wouldn't otherwise.

Also: There are a couple things I did not realize this when I made the character, but figured out while writing this bio. First, Lucifer most literally means "light-bearer", which is an odd symmetry to the hero whose powers revolve around light. Second, having Karliah be Lucifer's daughter was originally a twist to make things a bit more interesting in the roleplay, but actually makes some sense. She likely inherited some amount of telepathic power from him, which was then greatly enhanced by the mutation. Unintentional, but cool.

The Scofield Brothers

I never came up with first names for either of these characters, since they were most often referred to by their titles and occasionally by their last names as known high-ranking members of society. They are more side characters than main, though I would be interested in expanding on them some more.

Name: The Illusionist
Hair/Eyes: White/Green

Name: The Sorcerer
Hair/Eyes: Brown/Green

The Scofield brothers are both trained practitioners in the mystic arts. They are not magicians, as that name has been stolen by entertaining charlatans who use slight of hand and fancy props to get their effects. They started their training together, then went their own ways as they each developed an interest in an area of focus.

The brother who would become The Illusionist was a creative, dramatic sort who enjoyed playing the occasional trick on people. The illusionary arts fit him perfectly, and he excelled at it.

The other brother took a longer time to choose an area of study, and thus spent longer learning a bit of every field, before settling on the arcane arts, a subset of the mystic arts that often seemed to break the laws of physics, rather than work with or merely bend them. He struggled for a long time to move beyond the basics, even while his brother excelled in his studies. The brothers' friendship fell apart as the latter lorded his success over the former.

Years later, The Illusionist used his illusions to trick his way into real money and became one of the richest people in Etruria. His mansion was enchanted to confuse anyone who entered without permission, which happened on a few occasions before the Etruria police department decided it wasn't worth chasing him down for his crimes.

The Sorcerer, meanwhile, moved to the west coast of the United States (Etruria is on the east coast) and fashioned himself a living space inside an ocean cave that sat on a cliff side yards above the water and impossible to walk to. One would have to rappel down the cliff to find it, which happened occasionally, and The Sorcerer would welcome his sudden guest and offer them a cup of tea. Well, when he wasn't helping defend some part of the world from potentially disastrous mystical phenomena.

The Sorcerer is the one who helped Revenant follow Lucifer into the parallel universe. He has worked with Phantom and Revenant on a few occasions and currently is spending his free time teaching one of their recruits, Mikael, how to use the mystic arts.

Last edited:
Back