"Oh!' Emma snapped her fingers. "Would you be willing to give us a second opinion on illustrations if I explain the story to you?" Emma asked as the elevator opened. Paige's excitement paused as she gave Emma a warning glance.

"Emma,"

"I'm just getting a second opinion." Emma blinked innocently. "You always say having a fresh view helps. And while Tsuki helps us, you can wait in line for us." Paige opened her mouth but glanced at the growing line. She glared at Emma, but gave a huff and went towards the line. She got in line, and Connie González came up behind her Paige. But no one recognized her for she was wearing sunglasses and her hair was up in a high ponytail. Even when Paige glared back at Emma, neither she nor Emma recognized Connie. Emma focused back on Tsuki. "Do you want to sit while we wait and I can explain everything to you?"

"I suppose I could listen to the idea and give you my opinion," Tsuki said slowly as she followed Emma. Paige's reaction was making her feel uneasy about this. Was Emma not supposed to be telling Tsuki about this new story? Were they going to get into trouble? Or was it as simple as Paige not wanting Emma to bend Tsuki's ear all morning. "I'll have to head back to the office the instant I get Mr. González' food since he's waiting for me, but if we're just sitting here waiting for the line, I don't see why I can't talk now." She joined Emma and glanced around. Maybe she was getting paranoid, but this still felt off. Maybe she was just used to being the one standing in line? "Are you sure we should be talking about this here? It feels like trading trade secrets or something."

Emma laughed. “Oh, no. One, we’re still technically in the company. Two, most of the information about the book has been publicly released. And three,” Emma smirked. “I’m just trying to prove a point.” But then she grew serious. “But if you are uncomfortable, tell me, and not Mr. González.” Emma said pointedly.

"Why would I tell him?" Tsuki asked, honestly puzzled. "I'd probably either tell you or just avoid you, to be honest. Even if he did listen to me, I tend to do my best to avoid conflicts. So! Tell me all about it, I guess?"

Emma let out a huff and looked away. “You can say it’s a precaution.” Then she shook her head and looked back to Tsuki.

“Anyway, our book, written by George Turner, is about this young fish that is looking for the ocean. He goes to different aquatic animals, trying to find the ocean. But each animal is preoccupied or doesn’t know what or where the ocean is. Until he goes to an old fish. Then the old fish tells the young fish that he is in the ocean. The young fish disagrees, saying that what surrounds him is just water. The older fish tells him that of course water surrounds them, they’re in the ocean. Just because it’s not what he thought, doesn’t change what it is.” Emma sighed.

“It’s great, isn’t?” Emma smiled. “And it needs great pictures.” Emma pouted.

Tsuki paused when she heard the name "George" then relaxed when she heard "Turner" instead of "Stone." She really couldn't picture the George she knew writing a kid's book. She listened politely to Emma's story, nodding along.

"That sounds like a sweet little story," she smiled. "Would want something realistic, cartoony, or perhaps abstract? I almost feel that something in abstract swirls would go well with the theme of the book."

"I guess I could see that," Emma shrugged. "But don't you think some sophisticated images would show how sophisticated the message is? Look at this." Emma took out her phone and pulled up a picture of Crane's work and showed it to Tsuki. "The detail and texture read wisdom and age of the Renaissance. But Adam," Emma sneered as she pulled back the phone and brought up another picture. "Wants this. He just wants this Dabija woman because she is cheap." Emma mocked as she turned up her nose. "What do you think?"

Tsuki flipped back and forth between the two styles, taking her time as she studied them. Finally, she voiced her opinion.

"Both styles are beautiful, and both artists are clearly talented... but... I do not think either fit the story you are trying to tell. Dabija uses some warm, vibrant, and inviting colors that would definitely appeal to a child, but it does seem a bit... pandering when you put it up against the story, itself. Crane's work, on the other hand, does seem a lot more appropriate for the depth of the message, but he seems a little over stylized for both the book and your audience. You do want both styles to match, of course, but what good is a fantastic message that no one can afford to buy or won't let their kids read for fear of ruining the beautiful illustrations."

Tsuki paused for a breath. "Anyway... that's my opinion." She hesitated a moment. "Um, have you ever read the book Rainbow Fish? By, um Pfisher? The illustrations in that book would be an excellent half way point, I feel."

Emma opened her mouth, then closed it. She opened it again but still, nothing came out.

"Emma, Tusuki!" Paige called them loudly and waved them over. There were only two people in front of her.

"Come with me." Emma pulled Tsuki towards Paige. "Tell her what you told me," Emma ordered.

"Emma!" Paige frowned. "I told you that you need to work on your man-handling."

"I know, but listen." Emma gestured to Tsuki. "Tell her."

Tsuki followed, stunned by Emma's sudden action, and stood in front of Paige, bewildered. Had she said something wrong? If she had, this was a very strange way to reprimand her. Maybe Emma wanted a witness? Tsuki couldn't think of what Emma could possibly want, so she did her best to repeat what she had just said. It was surprisingly difficult to remember your own words when you later had to repeat them. Still, she did her best and managed to get it almost word for word without changing any meanings.

"And I suggested a particular book's style as a compromise?" she finished. "Rainbow Fish by Pfisher, I think, or a name similar to that. I do not know if he illustrated his own book, but it was fabulous! At least the first one. I think there have been a few copies and sequles since." She fell silent and looked up between the two women.

Paige looked at Tsuki, then glared at Emma.

“Do I have to remind Mr. González about the incident with Simon, Emma?” Immediately after Paige’s question, Emma groaned.

“He kept bothering us about the printer. I only pulled him out of his cubicle to show him how to fix it.” But then Emma composed herself. “Look, Tsuki is right though. If we could get Ptfisher to do the drawings the book would be beautiful.”

“It would.” Paige sighed then looked at Tsuki with a tired smile. “It is a great idea, thank you.” Paige focused back on Emma. “But he is over our budget.”

“Then we convince him!” Emma exclaimed. “I think George would love it.”

“Maybe. Or maybe we can find an illustrator with a similar style. It’s not to late for that.” Paige rubbed her chin. She leveled Emma with a hard stare. “And this is about what’s best for the book. Not about fighting what Mr. González said, right?”

“Does it really matter if it’s best for the book?” Emma crossed her arms and tilted her nose up.

“It matters if you hold up the line.” Connie stated loudly behind them. “Get your orders.” She growled.

“Thanks Con!” A
stout man with glasses blushed as he waved at Connie. Connie gave a small smile back before glaring back at them.

“Get your order.” Paige quickly nodded and went up to the register.

“Hi Mark! I’m so sorry about my lack of attention. Can I have a croissant, a chocolate muffin, and two Earl Greys?”

“Sure thing!” He smiled at Paige. “And I wasn’t waiting for that long.” Paige relaxed and smiled back before turning to Tsuki.

“Your turn Tsuki.”

Tsuki thought fast. She had no idea what Emma and Paige were talking about, but she had to focus on what Adam might want. And herself! There was no way she was going to take up any more time, so she decided to give Mr. González a choice and take what was left.

"Um, I'd like three muffins, please, one chocolate, one berry, and one poppy seed. One coffee as well, please, and a raspberry tea," she said quickly. "Um, please through in one of those cookie stick things, and if you have any meat, could you please add that, as well? That will be everything."

“Okay,” Mark’s eyebrows furrowed. “I got three muffins, chocolate, berry, and poppy seed. A black coffee and a raspberry tea. A cookie stick, and,” Mark looked up to her, a soft smile on his face. “For a meat product we have a ham croissant sandwich, a bacon wrap, or a sausage burrito. Which one would you like?”

Tsuki hesitated as she tried to guess what Mr. González might like. "Um... how about... a bacon wrap, please?" she asked meekly. "Thank you. I apologize for the large order while you are so busy." She bit her tongue to keep from apologizing for apologizing and taking up more time as she hastily rummaged in her bag and pulled out her card. "Is debit okay?"

That sounded like a lot of food. Like a lot of food! And probably a high price to go with it, but she couldn't let him starve. Later, she would come down when things weren't so busy and discuss opening a tab in Mr. González' name, but she supposed she could feed him this one time. And probably this only time! Cafes were not cheap, and secretaries did not exactly make a lot of money. More than cashiers at tacky gift shops did, that was for certain, but still not a lot when compared to the bills she had to keep up with. Thank goodness for apps that helped you budget.

"Hey," Mark's smile grew. "Big orders give big money." He said as he took the debit card. "Can I ask who this is all for?" He asked sliding the card then handing back out. "Not that it's wrong if it's just for you. I'm just wondering. Would you like your receipt?"

"Yes to the receipt, please," she replied, tucking her card away. "I'm Mr. González' secretary. Sorry, Adam González. I forget there are more than one in the building." She smiled a little weakly. "He skipped breakfast, so he sent me to pick up some nourishment." Well, sort of. She more of forcibly volunteered, but no one else needed to know that.

“You’re Adam’s new assistant?” Connie stepped down and sized up Tsuki. Her eyes narrowed before she turned to Mark. “Cancel her order, Mark.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Mark chuckled.

“She wants the ham croissant sandwich with a medium black coffee. And,” she turned to Tsuki. “You said raspberry, right?” She didn’t wait for conformation before turning back to Mark and completing the order. “And a medium raspberry tea with a berry muffin. Add my usual to it as well.” She gave him her card.

“Of course, Con.” Mark chuckled and took her card and swiped. There was a beep, finalizing the transaction. He grabbed the receipt and handed it to Connie. “Have an amazing day, Con.” Mark blushed. Connie softened and offered a small smile of her own.

“You too, Mark.” Then she turned to Tsuki and glared at her. “Next time you want to poison someone, don’t do it in front of their sister. Adam is allergic to chocolate.” Connie said as she went to the waiting area.

“Connie is a cop and Adam’s big sister.” Mark offered with an encouraging smile. “She’s always that intense. Don’t take it to heart and there was no transaction made on your card.” He whispered. “Next!”

Tsuki stood in shock for a moment before hastily shuffling out of the way. What had just happened?? She'd just been trying to give him some options, not poison him! Surely if he was that allergic, he'd know not to touch it. Then she'd have eaten the chcocolate. And now she desperately wanted a giant triple choclate muffin... No, be strong! Not to mention she wasn't even in line anymore.

Meekly, Tsuki collected her things and turned to Emma and Paige. "As soon as my order is ready, I really need to get back to work. Good luck on finding the design for your book!"

"Thank you for the idea," Paige whispered with a smile. Emma nodded, eyeing Connie.

"See you at lunch," Emma added, with another glance at Connie. Since they had their orders, they left with a wave to Tsuki. Connie glanced between the woman, before approaching Tsuki.

"What's your name?" She demanded.

Tsuki stood frozen, fighting the urge to either salute or curtsy. This woman was intimidating. It probably served her well on the force, but Tsuki couldn't shake the sudden feeling that she was a rabbit getting sized up by a wolf. Come on, Tsuki, keep it together! This whole family was intense, but that didn't mean she got to fall apart after meeting each one, although that was starting to feel a bit like a trend here. Meet a González, get freaked out, find out she was overreacted.

"Tsuki Bella Nakamura, Ma'am," she said with as pleasant a smile as she could manage. "I apologize for not recognizing you earlier. I only started yesterday and am still familiarizing myself."

Back