Adam blinked.

"Seriously?" Usually, his family was always in the paper somehow. People always knew who they were. Whether it was Lucas' acts of charity, Connie's success on a case, or their father closing a major business deal, his family was always in the news. And even though he wasn't much of a success or went out as much, people still knew him. Usually from how he punched a paparazzo after his college graduation, after his mother's accident. Adam shook his head.

"Sorry," With a breath, he expelled the bad memories. He needed to focus. "With your volunteer work, I assumed you knew. You would be working for me, CEO and lead publisher of Rose Hills Publishing, Adam González. This company is a subsidiary company to Enchanter's Inc."

"Ah. I thought you looked familiar... but I don't keep up with the news," she said lamely, shrinking down in on herself. "I apologize. No wonder you needed experience."

Well. Now that she had thoroughly embaressed herself. "I'll take the job. If it is availible. Still. Sir."

The relief that hit him left him a bit breathless. So, his uncle hadn't mention much to her and she didn't keep up with the news. She was still willing to take the job. He would gladly take her inexperience if it meant that he didn't have to fight for her respect because of the past. Adam cleared his throat and sat up.

"You are fine Miss Nakamura. Since you are still interested," Adam gathered the hiring papers together. "Here are the papers you need to sign. The first one is a statement of the position and the hours. You will come in at eight and leave at four if you choose. Any other time before or after the allotted time is overtime. You have Saturday and Sunday off, with six sick days and five personal days. If you need more contact me." Adam breathed. The information and the process were going a bit fast for him. He couldn't even imagine how fast it was going for her. It would be polite to give her one more out. He looked to Nakamura.

"If you sign these papers, Miss Nakamura, you will be on contract with Rose Hills Publishing, with me, starting tomorrow at eight."

Tsuki sat gaping at him, her head spinning. This was a lot to take in! She went over it all in her head then picked up the papers, reading through them carefully. Looked like this was not a prank after all. And if it was, this was one incredible prank! She picked up a pen and quickly signed her name to one document after another.

"There," she said, dotting the last I. "I guess I am now your humble employee, Mister Gonzalez." She stood and held out her hand. "I look forward to working with you!"

"Umm," Adam blinked and he dropped his pen. This was too easy. She just accepted. There was no bargaining, no demands, just the normal questions, and then acceptance. Why? What was this girl after that she readily accepted a job from him? He let his eyes examine her one last time and gave in to a sniff. There was nothing blocking the new subtle lavender vanilla scent in his office. It was nice actually. There was nothing commanding about this girl. Not even her natural beauty demanded eyes. It just was.

"I well see you, tomorrow Miss Nakamura," Quickly, Adam grabbed the papers and avoided her outstretched hand. While he was grateful that she accepted her job, he did not want their relationship to go past business. Shaking her hand seemed like that was too much for now. But he could help her with something else. "If you want to get a head-start on training tonight, go to this site." Adam tore a piece of paper from his notebook, wrote a training website down, and slid it to her. "If you run into any problems, call me."

No handshake, huh? Maybe he was a germaphobe or just didn't like touch. She made a note of that as she picked up the paper. He seemed okay. A little abrupt and awkward, but not the monster he was made out to be. Still, this was just a first meeting, and you couldn't base everything off of first meetings no matter how important first impressions were.

"I will get on that tonight, sir, and I will see you at 7:55 tomorrow morning," she said briskly as she picked up her bag. "Is there anything else I should know, or shall I let myself out?" She indicated his shirt. "And I found Oxy Clean to be the best for coffee stains unless you'd like for me to take that to the dry cleaners tomorrow."

Oxy-clean would work, but he didn't have any at his apartment. Though, the fact that she was already offering to take it to the cleaners was, nice. Besides Lucas and Tia, no one else really offered to do things for him. The joy bubbling in his stomach was too familiar. With a squeeze of his fist, he encaged the joy from becoming him wag or squirm. Nakamura's help was something for him to get used to. Plus, she was just doing her job, nothing more. Adam nodded.

"You can do it tomorrow. Go home and let whoever you have to about your job. I will have a copy of your contract by tomorrow."

"Yes, sir, I'll see you tomorrow!" Tsuki impulsively gave him a cheery salute then turned and walked out with a spring in her step.

Only when she closed the door behind herself did she allow herself to wince. A salute? Really?? What was that about? Lovely. Now he was going to think she was some kind of wackjob, which she was starting to fear was true. She shook her head and grinned as she marched down the hallway toward the elevator she'd ridden up. She'd gotten the job! She'd gotten the job!! Now just to call her boss and rearrange her wardrobe a bit. This job was not going to be like working at a tacky tchotchke shop. She was going to have to present herself with some level of class. She didn't have much, but she had enough that hopefuly she could get by until her next paycheck.

Wait until Pops heard about this!

Adam was left blinking as Nakamura left. Then a snort escaped him. This woman, Tsuki Nakamura, was different. Sincere in an endearing way. Tia was right, she was good, for now. Although, the fact that she willingly accepted and was available for the job was a miracle.

He was safe, for now. All that was left was the proposal and the contract. He also had to put Nakamura in the system. With a glance at the clock, he noted that it was near four. He had time. Dinner wasn’t until six.

Tsuki made it out of the building without making a further fool of herself and found her bike right where she left it. Yes! Everything was going well! She biked home first of all and changed quickly into her third shirt of the day. She'd have to return her work shirts, and she didn't want to get her new shirt dirty no matter how cheap it was. White was white. Now clothed in a long-sleeved black, lightweight turtleneck that did not make her feel like she was being strangled or itching to death, she called her boss. The lack of a two-week notice was unfortunate, but he was used to that. The turnover rate at her job was pretty high. She wondered how much influence a certain fellow named George had to do with that.

Work stuff taken care of, she packed her ancient laptop in its bag and biked to the hospital, heading for the long-term care facility. Pops was going to enjoy hearing about her new job, and maybe she could look through the sites Mr. González had suggested for work. She smiled to herself as she locked up her bike and walked into the nice if worn facility. Working at a publishing company! That was closer to her dream than she'd ever gotten before! Now just to not mess it up.

“You didn’t call us.” Adam looked up from the contract he was reviewing. Standing in the doorway with crossed arms was Tío Ben. Adam noticed that Ben’s usual smile was gone and his scent smelled heavier. With a glance at the clock, Adam saw that it was seven.

“You guys okay?” Tía and Ben were punctual people, being a politician and a veterinarian respectively. They hated being late. Though, Ben hated being ignored more. Ben glared at Adam. With a sigh, Adam answered Ben. “And I got busy.” Adam held up the contract. “Lots of deadlines.” Ben nodded.

“I know. Patricia is furious about that.” Adam opened his mouth to comment on his Tía’s unnecessary worry, Ben put up a hand. “Don’t. Let’s just go to dinner and get both of you to relax.” The smile came back to Ben’s face. Still, Adam wanted to assure them, and everyone else, that he was fine. The best way to do that would be to go to dinner without complaint.

“Where’s Tía and Celine anyway?” Adam asked as he packed. Immediately, Ben’s scent grew lighter.

“Celine wanted to play with her tall doggy. She wouldn’t let her go.” Adam smiled at Ben’s wistful chuckle. “So, I’m warning you now, she is super excited to see her fluffy dog-bear.”

“I’m not a bear.” Adam huffed as he walked towards the door.

“Sure you’re not, Adam,” Ben smirked as he patted Adam’s shoulder. Pulling Adam closer to the door. With a roll of his eyes, Adam pushed Ben’s hand away and closed the door. Adam felt Ben’s eyes observe him. “What about you? Rough day.” Adam gave a stiff shrug in response. Admitting that this was one of the worser days he had felt like he was giving power to the day. Though, it did remind him of something.

“I hired one of your volunteers, Tsuki Nakamura.”

“Bella?” Adam nodded. Ben put his hands in his pockets as he led the way out. “Good. She could really benefit from the position,” When Ben stopped to look at Adam, Adam froze. Ben’s lips were pursed and he hummed. Like Adam was some show dog to be approved of. “She would be good for you.” Adam blinked.

“Wha, what’s that supposed to mean?” Ben shrugged and continued walking. It didn’t take much for Adam to physically catch up with Ben. “Tío Ben! What’s that supposed to mean?”

“She’s an efficient, patient, hard-working girl.” Ben’s smile grew sharp. “She was very good with the more stubborn and temperamental animals. Made them completely soft like a teddy bear!” Ben laughed as Adam rolled his eyes.

“I’m not a bear.” Adam huffed again. Ben kept laughing. Though, mocking aside, there was not a hint of sourness in Ben’s scent. Reassuring Adam that Tsuki was a good choice. She would work and just maybe they would make the three-month deadline.

The next morning, Tsuki was a few minutes behind and working hard to catch up as she peddled. The grey skirt she'd chosen because it looked professional was not at all conducive to peddling a bike. And now she was getting sweaty! Great. Hopefully she could take a second to sort herself out before going to meet her new boss.

She pulled up to the building, panting, and put her bike in a corner and went to lock it. In her hurry, she didn't realize the lock did not fully engage. She hurried inside and scooted off to the side to the public restroom. A quick brush through her hair, a splash of water on her face, and just a dab of scented water at her neck. She was allergic to most perfumes, so this would have to do. Then it was off to the elevator. At least she could catch her breath here.

The sensation of rising soothed her nerves a little, and when the doors opened, she stepped out confidently, her low heels clicking softly as she walked down the hallway to Mr. González, office and knocked.

"Mr. González, it is Tsuki Nakamura. May I come in?" she called.

Last edited:
While dinner was a nice break, and it felt really good to play with Tia and Celine, he had work to do the next day. And it was best to get an early start on it. He also had to prepare the training courses for Tsuki. If he got them ready by seven, she could start them and hopefully be finshed with the courses in two maybe three days. So, he went in early. Maybe a little too early.

The only people in the building when Adam arrived, was Glen and the night guard Ben. Which was fine with Adam. This way he could work without interruptions. He began with getting the trainings ready and set up Tsuki’s employee profile. He was done with that by 6:30.

“Yes!” Adam fist-pumped the air. It was the one of things he finally got right on time. Now all he had to do was wait for Tsuki. He decided to finish reviewing the Villenueve contract. Though as time went on, he realized that the spinning words was not good. He needed breakfast, but Tsuki would be in soon, so he waited.

And waited.

And waited...

Knock knock

"Mr. González, it is Tsuki Nakamura. May I come in?" Adam looked up from the contract. The clock told Adam that Tsuki was late. Adam gripped the contract tighter and tried to release the burning in his stomach through his nose.

“You’re late.” Adam growled. He tried to get rid of the growl by taking a couple more deep breaths. That didn’t help. So, he slammed the contract down, walked to the door and pulled it open. “Get in.”

Ah... maybe that lady in the elevator - Tsuki had already forgotten her name - had been right. She was only a few minutes late. She opened the door and stepped in smartly. "I apologize for my tardiness, sir. I was... I will ensure it does not happen again," she said. "I looked through all of the sites you mentioned, sir."

She stood straight, her heart pounding, and steeled herself. Was she going to be fired for being five minutes late? Well, maybe it was ten minutes, but it was her first day, and second impressions were as important as first. If she'd been working for a couple of weeks, the mistake might have been overlooked, but the first day? She didn't even bother trying to make an excuse.

A small flare of the familiar tangy scent wafted in the air, but it left as Tsuki stepped into his office. Adam sighed and rubbed his face. Punctuality was more of his father’s concern, not his. Although, hunger was a thing that twisted him up and had him wound tight. It had him on the edge, pushing people away. He just had to push past the hunger and get off the edge.

“Good.” Adam walked to his desk and leaned against it. He grabbed the packet he made for her. “Here is your employee information.” He handed it to her. “Log onto the employee portal, there should be the courses we mentioned yesterday. Do them. Go to lunch at 12. Leave at 4. Any questions?”

"Two questions, sir. First one is, where am I to do these things? The second one is, how long shall my lunch break be?" she asked, her words clipped but polite and calm. She hadn't seen a second desk when she walked into the room, but she might have missed it. She wasn't about to look around like a doofus. Hopefully her lunch break was long enough to fetch something. She hadn't thought to pack a lunch, but if not, one day of skipping lunch wouldn't kill her.

Adam pointed to the empty cubicle across the hall.

"There." The hall was lined with windows to see the cubicles on the other part of the floor if he kept his door opened. He usually didn't. He kept track of people working through the portal. Though he did forget something. He opened his drawer and opened it. He pulled out a Bluetooth earpiece. He handed it to Tsuki.

"If I need you, I will call you through this. Your lunch is thirty minutes. When you go out sign out of the portal, when you come back sign in. Anything else?"

"No, sir, thank you," Tsuki said with a warm but still professional smile. "Thank you for your time. I should get on this right away."

She walked out the door, closing it carefully behind herself. Only then did she allow herself to heave a sigh of releif. This was going to be interesting. She made her way into her new cubical and sat down. Only to let out a little squeak as the chair tipped awkwardly. She adjusted, and the chair balanced again. Okay, this was alright. The chair was horrible, but at least she had four - three and a half - walls to protect her from prying eyes and she only had one demanding person to answer to a day. This could work... surely she could make this work.

Speaking of a demanding person, she slipped on the earpiece and made certain it was on before getting started. It was a fair amount of paperwork, but she was certain she could get through it in record time! Properly through it. She hoped.

Adam slipped the other Bluetooth device in his ear. He let out a growl as it whined on. The infernal device pushed and clogged his ear. The blunt shortened sounds made him feel, weak and nervous. He scratched his wrist, trying not to scratch out the device. He pressed the button on the thing.

"Tsuki, are you there?"

Tsuki jumped a little in surprise at the voice in her ear. Already? She touched her ear instinctively as she answered. "Here, sir. I am settling in and looking through the papers you gave me. Do you need something, sir?" She hoped not. She had no idea where anything was, yet, although trying to find it would definately help her get the lay of the land.

Back