Adam rubbed his face roughly as he slumped onto his desk. Today was not his day. None of the other applicants answered his call. He had to take care of a scuffle between his publisher Dan and Dan’s author, Steven. Dan had been hounding Steven for another book, but Steven hadn’t delivered, so Adam had to come in for the final warning. This pushed him back to two-thirty.

Then he had to get the hiring papers ready, but the toner was out. It took him fifteen minutes to replace it, and he got ink on the sleeves of his shirt and jacket. He didn’t notice the ink till Kelly from HR eyed his sleeves as she gave him new employee contracts. And the more he rubbed it in the bathroom, the worse it got. He just decided to roll and put his jacket away.

He was finally eating lunch, in his office alone. His stomach growled and he felt drool falling from his mouth as he unwrapped his roast beef sandwich. While his lunch was just the café roast beef sandwich and a black coffee, it didn’t matter. He only had fruit this morning. This was meat. His canines went sharper as he tore into his sandwich. His hunger was so strong, he didn’t notice that it was already three twenty.

Emma and Paige went into Enchanter’s Inc. They just met with George Aller, the author of their children’s book.

“I can’t believe George preferred Dabija over Crane!” Emma grumbled as she stomped into the building.

“Well,” Paige sighed. She held a Rose Hills’ company folder close to her chest as she followed Emma calmly. “He also preferred Dabija over who I chose too.” Paige shrugged. “I guess Mr. González knew who George would prefer too.”

“Or men are just simple-minded and childish,” Emma grumbled. “Especially, Mister González.” Paige opened her mouth but ended up closing it and shaking her head. Some of her graying brunette hair fell in her face. As she fixed her hair, she saw a beautiful young woman in a black sweater and a navy skirt standing in the lobby.

“I think that woman is looking for something,” Paige said quietly. She went towards the girl. Emma stopped her ranting and followed. Her steps were lighter. Paige stopped a couple of steps behind the woman. “Excuse me, are you looking for someone?”

Tsuki paused and smiled pleasantly at the pair. "Goor afternoon!" she said, enunciating her words carefully. "I am here about a job interview. I was told to be here by 3:30, but I am uncertain as to where I am supposed to go. It is a beautiful building!" She smiled, hoping she was projecting calm and not frayed nerves. She had no idea who these women were. They could be the cleaning ladies or in charge of the company for all she knew, so she was going to have to tread very carefully.

“I might be able to help.” Paige smiled at the woman. “We’re employee’s,” she gestured to herself and Emma. “Of one the companies here. What job and company did you apply for?”

"I'm not actually certain," Tsuki admitted. "I filled out a generic application for Enchanter's Publication since they were not hiring at the moment, then I got a call to report to the..." She pulled a slip of paper from her purse. "The twenty-first floor, I believe? Only... I have no idea where the elevators are. And I was not told who to speak to once I got there."

Oh, please let there be elevators! she found herself praying. If she had to walk up 21 floors of stairs, that would definitely make her late and probably stink to high heaven.

Emma and Paige shared a glance. Then Emma stepped forward.

“So you are the new hire!” Emma smiled sharply at the woman. “I am Emma Newson, a children’s publisher. You can come with us. We are on our way to the office from a meeting with our author.” Emma wrapped her arm around the other woman’s and began leading her to the elevators. “And it’s Rose Hills Publishing, not Enchanter’s. Even if our simple-minded leader is under their thumb.”

“Emma,” Paige whispered as she caught up to them.

"Uh..." Warning bells were tickling Tsuki's mind. Something didn't seem quite right with this pair, or at least with the one who had taken her arm hostage, but she made a note of the correction. "Right. I appologise for the mistake, but I was told to report to the Enchanter's building, and that confused me." She smiled brightly. "Thank you very much for your help, but I really do not want to take up to much of your time. I am not even certain I am being hired yet."

It felt like she was being propelled across the floor, and she cursed her short little legs. Without even wearing heels. Her arm was being pulled up awkwardly by the taller woman.

“Nonsense!” Emma waved the woman’s concerns away. “Like I said, we were already on our way to the office.” They stopped in front of the elevator doors. Paige pressed the up button.

“We can go with you, at the least.” Paige added with a soft smile. The elevators pinged and the doors before them opened.

“Plus, I know that in an interview it helps to be informed.” Paige said as she dragged the woman in the elevator. Paige let the woman go and leaned against the wall, arms crossed. “Especially with Mr. González. He is temperamental.” She added with a sneer.

“He’s not as bad as his father,” Paige said quickly as she stepped in. The elevator doors closed and they began to rise. “But he can be very picky and a bit,”

“Insensitive and arrogant?” Emma side-eyed Paige. Paige opened her mouth, then reluctantly nodded.

"Right," Tsuki said, glancing back and forth between them. This seemed weird. Maybe she was overreacting, but it sounded almost like the one woman was trying to warn her away? And the other seemed to be trying to keep the perspective balanced, yet forced to agree as if it was true.

"Sounds as if he's a handful," Tsuki said lamely, "But I honestly doubt that is the position I am being interviewed for. I'm just a shop keeper, that's all, and I put in an aplication on the distant hope I might be able to work my way up in the company. I was completely shocked when I got the call!" She smield feebly, really not sure what to do with these two.

Emma and Paige shared another glance.

“You don’t know the position you’re interviewing for?” Paige asked slowly.

“You are the candidate for the assistant position in Rose Hills Publishing.” Emma answered before anyone else could.“Did you not hear about how Mr. González made the last assistant cry and quit? That was only a few days ago,” Emma observed the woman in a quick glance and huffed. “And she has been the third one in three months. If you do not even know that, I wonder how long you will last.”

“Emma!” Paige exclaimed. Emma held her hands up.

“I am only trying to help. He seems to be in a firing mood today.” She grumbled. As soon as the elevator doors opened to the 21st floor, Emma slid out of the elevator.

Tsuki eyed them and chose not to be swayed. Not yet. Yes, people talked, but how on earth could they know what position she was being interviewed for if they weren't the ones doing the hiring? Oh, they could be telling the complete truth, but something about Emma sat with her wrong. It was like she was looking forward to Tsuki getting fired, or like she didn't want her to be hired at all. Tsuki chose not to take it personally, but maybe Emma wanted this job?

She took a deep breath as she stepped off the elevator and smiled at the pair. "Thank you for being kind enough to warn me, but I think I will make my judgement about his personality. If I do get hired, I look forward to working with you!" She smiled, nodded to them both, and started walking down the hall.

Wait... which room?

Adam looked up after finishing his sandwich. His dark eyes spotted the clock. After a minute, he realized that it read three-thirty.

“CRAP!” Adam jumped up, shaking his desk. His coffee spilled. “AH!” Adam yelped as the hot coffee came onto his shirt. Quickly, he grabbed his jacket and began wiping the spilled coffee with it. Fortunately, it didn’t get on any of the papers. On the other hand, it covered him. Adam growled as he looked at his stained shirt.

“I don’t have time for this.” He growled and threw the trash of his lunch, and his stained and soaked jacket. He remembered that he always kept an extra shirt in the break room. With that in mind, he ran out the door. He hoped Tsuki Nakamura was running as late as he was.

SMACK!

Adam stumbled back as he slammed into someone else.

“Watch it!” He growled. He looked down, and lost his breath. It was the woman in the photo. It was Tsuki Nakamura.

"Ow!" Tsuki yelped, stumbling. "Hey!" She rubbed her shoulder, wincing a little as she glared up at the man. "Excuse me, sir, but I was walking down the hallway like a mannerly person, and you ran into me," she pointed out primly. "I am sorry you appear to be running late for something and..." her eyes ran over him, "apparently meltling from coffee, but if you do not mind, I have an interview to get to."

Adam fisted his hands and took a deep breath through his nose. He resisted the urge to rub his face and faced Tsuki Nakamura.

"I know abet," Adam cleared his throat. trying to gain his composure, trying to be normal. '"I know about your interview, Miss Nakamura." Adam sighed. "I'm, um," Adam shuffled. "I'm not melting from coffee, I'm the one interviewing you and I am late." squeezed his hands. They felt clammy and he wanted to wipe his hands on his pants, or his face, or something. He turned and let his shoulders slump. The chance of her accepting the job was getting slimmer by the second. And he wouldn't blame her if she didn't accept the job. He could've presented himself better. "Follow me." He walked into his office, his stomach sinking.

Her cheeks flamed. Oh. That was just great.Now she had offended the guy who did the hiring. The guy who's face looked really familiar. She'd had just about enough of not knowing who she was talking to about what position, but she bit her tongue. She wasn't about to get lippy with the guy hiring. Whatever they paid, it had to at least match what she was getting now, and she'd finally be rid of that annoying stalker across the street!

Tsuki followed the somewhat scruffy looking man down the hall while her stomach tied itself
in knots. This was not going well, but she had to try.

When they were both in the office, Adam closed the door and let out a breath. She was still here. He still had a chance.

"Please take a seat, Miss Nakamura." Adam gestured to one of the chairs in front of his desk. "And before we get started," Adam went to his desk and sat down. "Are you interested in being an assistant to the head publisher of Rose Hills Publishing?" He did not want her to accept something she was not aware of. Especially since he was now fully aware of who he was hiring.

Adam glanced between Tsuki and her resume
. As he observed her, he couldn't help but notice that she was, attractive. Beautiful even. Her GPA was considerably high, she volunteered, and so far she did not squeak. So, why was she only a store clerk? Was it her sharp wit that called him out before? She seemed polite, just irritated. So, why was she so, dismissed? "And why here?"

Tsuki stared at him, her jaw open slightly. "Uh... you mean... wow." She cleared her throat and straightened. "I apologize, I was half expecting to be offered a job emptying the bins or some other low-level position. I would be happy to accept, but you do know that I have no prior experience? However!" she hastened to add, "I am a fast learner, and I have a lot of experience in organizing, filing, and arranging affairs. I also have a fair amount of knowledge in handling the phones, and while I would be delighted to work in the publishing industry, I am well aware that I may not have the necessary qualifications, and I do not wish to disappoint anyone."

She finally took a deep breath. Her nerves were starting to get the best of her. She folded her hands in her lap and hoped he wouldn't notice her white knuckles. Was this really real?? Was this a joke? Was this guy going to laugh at her and tell her "gotcha?" What kind of head publisher would hire a shop girl off the street?

"Lack of experience doesn't matter." Adam grabbed a pen and a notebook he had on his desk. If there were notes, no one would say that he was desperate enough to hire on the spot. Plus, she was the one to mention her faults. It would be dumb of him not to note them, desperate or not.

"There are scholarship programs and training if you're interested." Adam hoped Tia was right. The scholarships would be a good selling point. More than the incompetent boss. "I don't need experience. I need," Help, he needed help. But nothing would ever make him say that. "Someone that listens. Even if it's getting me coffee or answering my calls. Can you do that?"

Scholarship programs and training? That was a pretty massive bonus for someone who was only expected to fetch coffee and listen! This was all sounding a little too good to be true, but sometimes good things happened, right? And if the guy she worked for was a complete jerk like that Emma lady said, well, then it would all balance out, wouldn't it?

"I think I could do that," Tsuki said slowly. "These training programs... would they be taken out of my pay? And please excuse me for being crass, but I would like to discuss potential wages, if we may."

Tapping his pen on his chin, Adam reviewed her resume. The payment was usually a feature on every hire's mind. What was in it for them? Isn't that what everyone was concerned about?

"Technically, the job is offered to a candidate with experience and a degree. You don't have a degree and your experience is minimal at best. Hiring you would require training at least, which takes up your time and mine." It was a risk, hiring an inexperienced worker. The time it took to train her could be used to further the proposal and the contract. He needed someone's undivided attention, but he also needed an assistant. Adam sighed and put down his pen. "I can start your pay at sixteen dollars an hour. Starting tomorrow, if you last three months, then we can discuss raising it."

Tsuki considered the offer seriously for a moment. Well, it was a raise from the 9 dollars she was getting now, that was for certain, but the amount of training she'd have to do and his serious expression was daunting. Still... that money could be really useful for Pop's bills... and she wouldn't have to worry about a certain tomcat prowling around these premises, that was for certain.

Just one last question.

"I am agreeable to these terms," she said at last, "but I do have a final question. Exactly who am I to be working with? I do not know much about the ins and outs of this company and who runs it."

Back