Adam nodded, pleased with Tsuki’s answers. They were right, and textbook correct. The trainings seemed to be helping her and she was a quick learner. Though when she started, he noticed her quick blinking. There was also an odd scent coming from her. She might be unsure of herself. An employee unsure of themselves was okay, but a validation reader needed to be sure of themselves.

"Are you sure of your answers? You stuttered a bit."

Tsuki straightened and squared her shoulders. "No, sir, i know those answers are correct, although you did use one phrase I am not as familiar with, and I have to admit you spoke rather quickly," she told him bluntly. "It was difficult to even understand what the questions were to answer them correctly when you flung them out as if you had to say all three sentences before a timer buzzed."

She stood straight and held her breath. How would he react to her blunt honesty? She knew some people would say it bordered on rude, but how were they supposed to work together if she couldn't tell him how to make things easier on himself by making it easier on her to know what he wanted? She reviewed the sentence in her head. Yes, that made sense, she supposed. Now to wait with baited breath while forcing herself to meet his eyes, her heartbeat picking up speed.

Now Adam was the one blinking at her. The scent in the air grew thick and there was a soft rhythmic pounding coming from somewhere. But what was the oddest thing was the warmth that pooled in his stomach.

"Ummm, uh," Adam stuttered, an unknowing smile flickering on his lips as he looked down. He has been told that he speaks fast before and people are usually quick to tell him or ask him to repeat slower. But this was the most colorful response he heard. He rubbed his jaw and composed himself with a deep breath. "I see. I'll, um, work on slowing down my timer." Adam smirked before letting it fall. "What pharse was unfamiliar to you?"

Oh. He seemed to be taking it really well. This guy - while incredibly grumpy - didn't seem to be the monster everyone had been making him out to be. He even seemed, dare she say it, reasonable! She still had to be careful, but she felt at ease enough to relax a bit, her heart rate returning to normal.

"BC publication. Or was it publishing?" she mused, thinking back to his words. "The BC part threw me off. I know it as just the definition of publication, no BC. Apologies, sir, I must have missed that in the training vocabulary."

Lingo or slang was common for him to use without realizing that no one else knew what he was talking about. Plus, shortening something so known by its full name would confuse anyone. Adam took another deep breath as guilt and unease settled within his stomach. He never seemed to do anything right around this woman.

"BC is short for the Berne Convention. You do know what that is, right?" Every person working in literature had to know.

"Yes, sir, it is the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works," Tsuki said promptly, pleased she actually remembered that. "It is related to the first copyright laws, introducing the idea that copyright exists the moment a work is 'fixed' instead of it only existing after the work is registered." She hesitated a moment, doubting herself, but he didn't seem to like self-doubt, so she tried to squelch that feeling. "That is how I recall it, sir."

Adam rubbed his chin and examined her. She really was a quick learner. Though her scent was a little less heavy, but still weighted. Like the ocean.

“That’s it!” He snapped his fingers. She smelled like the beach he used to play at. It was his favorite place because of the scent and memories. But that scent was usually light. Hers was still heavy. “And if you want to advance, stop with the self-doubt. I can smell it on you.” He wrinkled his nose.

Tsuki jumped as he suddenly snapped his fingers. What was what?? He'd obviously just remembered something or made some kind of connect or similar, but what did it have to do with her? Before she could ask, he'd already moved on. To something really weird.

"Um, you can... smell it on me?" she asked uncertainly. "I, uh, I suppose you are right, though I cannot say I am ambitious to advance anywhere. It would be nice, but at the end of the day, I just want to do a good job where I am. Focusing on a desire to advance would distract me from doing a good job." She stopped herself before she could give him her father's spiel about how focusing on where you were was the key to advancing or at least getting recognized.

Adam quirked an eyebrow, his eyes narrowing. She didn't want to advance. What she said made sense, but why? She was obviously smart enough. And yes, while her lack of experience was an issue, it could now be easily rectified.

"What's wrong with you?" He crossed his arms. "While it's noble to want to focus on the moment, you can be better than what you are now. So want it, be it. Nothing is wrong with wanting to advance or be better. Especially for you."

With her quick skills and her rational mind, she could be better, maybe even better than him. A great validating reader, and he had a feeling that she had a good handle on finances. If she was more confident in herself. But maybe she was like Lucas, a lot of potential, not a lot of drive. Ugh...

"But if you don't want to be better, than you are free to take your lunch now."

He dismissed her with a wave of his hand. At least she wanted to do her best now. He couldn't fault her for that, but it was so easy for her to be better. While others, like him, always seemed to mess up more when they try.

Tsuki stepped back at his statement. It felt like maybe a backhanded compliment or an outright insult. She couldn't decide, but either way, it stung. What was wrong with not wanting more responsibility than you already had? Yes, she knew she could probably do better than a souvenir shop cashier, but she had a lot more going on than just work, and she didn't want to let down her new boss. Weren't bosses of personal assistants supposed to not want them to advance? Because then they'd be without a PA. She supposed she could take it as a compliment that he thought she could do better, but it was hard to do that with the dismissive tone in his voice.

"Yes, sir, thank you," she said calmly, forcing herself to keep it together. "I will return after lunch. Are there any errands you need me to run?" She was already moving slightly toward the door.

Adam shook his head, focusing on the work before him. He made sure Tsuki was good and maybe she could help him. Though, trusting someone who didn't want to advance was risky. What if she didn't stay? Either way, he had no more time to focus on her. He had to get back to work.

"Hello, my little readers," Lucas announced as he came onto the office floor. His smile was wide and his white t-shirt and gray vest seemed to glow as he strutted in. "I heard there was someone new here."

Tsuki backed away hastily as the door swung close to her hand as she'd been reaching out to open it. She didn't say anything, glancing at Adam for cues. She didn't want to be rude, but why were so many people so interested in her and her station as "the new person?" One would thank that people came and went all the time in an office as big as this. She stood back, hands behind her back, and waited politely.

Adam rolled his eyes at Lucas' entry. "You're CEO of Enchanter's Inc. Lucas, not the welcoming crew."

"I like to meet new people." Lucas shrugged as he walked in. He stopped in front of Tsuki. Adam glanced up. Lucas was blinking rapidly as he turned to Tsuki. He composed himself and held out his hand with a charming smile.

"Holá señorita, I'm the charming big brother Lucas González."

Tsuki felt some internal warning system go off. He reminded her a bit of George. Not as slimy, but still something similar. She'd figure it out later. She hid all these thoughts and smiled.

"It is nice to meet you, Mr. Gonzalez," she greeted him, accepting his hand. "You are Mr. Adam Gonzalez' brother, sir?"

"Oof!" Lucas put his hands to his chest. Adam huffed. "Please, señorita, Mr. González is my father. You can call me Lucas." Lucas smiled at Tsuki.

"Though she, and I," Adam growled the last part at Lucas. "Are at work. So it's Mr. González. And please leave so I can work." Adam huffed.

"So formal, hermanito." Lucas sighed. He focused on Tsuki. "Are you free for lunch, señorita?"

"I am sorry, Mr. González, but I have plans," Tsuki smiled politely. She would have called him "Mr. González" even if Adam hadn't commented. There was no way she was going to call one of the bosses by his first name! Especially one that seemed to be a little loose with the female species. She was a bit jaded after a certain neighborly tom cat that had liked to prowl around her place of business.

"Now look what you did, hermanito." Lucas put his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "You have your assistant being all formal too! Now, who can Fifi and I interrogate about you?" Lucas pouted, his eyes wide as he gazed pitifully at Adam. Who was still looking at his reports. Though Lucas' scent was bitter and his heart did not stutter. Well, Adam could be thankful for the confirmation that his family was using his assistants to check up on him.

"Ms. Nakamura is free to do or not do what she wants." Then Adam glared at Lucas. "And if you have questions, Mr. Gonzalez, ask me." Adam snapped.

"Come out of your office once in a while and I might." Lucas shrugged, but Adam noticed the tension in. Lucas' shoulder and the way Lucas' scent became hard.

"I'll pass." Adam growled. "Now, both of you, leave."

"Yes, sir, Mr. González," Tsuki said a little faster than she meant to, though she did her best to remain formal. She stepped around the Lucas González, nodded once to the Adam González then walked out the door. Only then did she breathe a quick sigh of relief. She didn't slow down, though, stopping by her cubical to grab her purse then hot-footing it to the elevator. She was so not getting pumped for information by her boss!

Although, seeing as it was the first half of her first day, what could she possibly tell them?

Tsuki hit the button for the elvator and waited for it to open while she tried to remember. The two other women... would they still want to have lunch together?

Adam felt Lucas' glare. The bitter scent in the air grew spicy. There was the sound of movement, like arms crossing.

"Did you eat?"

"Did you leave?" Adam shot back. Lucas grunted and a small growl was heard. Adam glanced up, an eyebrow quirked.

"You're," Lucas gaped, until he settled on a growl and left. Adam was alone again, and the soft ocean scent drifted out of his office. Quickly, he closed the door. Hoping to lock the scent with him. It left, just like everyone else did. He was alone, but he felt more unfocused than before.

"Ready for lunch Paige?" Emma stretched over her rolling chair.

"Oh, yes." Paige groaned. She turned in her chair, stretching her back. As she stretched, she saw Lucas coming out of Adam's office. "It's Lucas!" Paige stood up and went into the hallway. Emma followed.

"Hi, Lucas!" Emma yelled, making Lucas tear his glare away from Adam's door and smile at them.

"Emma, Paige, how are you, girls?" Lucas went and gave each girl a kiss on the hand. They giggled. "And how are the lucky men in your lives?"

"Ben and I are good." Paige smiled and went next to Emma.

"Ron and I are fine." Emma waved her hand flippantly. "But I would be better if your brother learned some manners."

"Everyone might benefit if he relaxed." Lucas pouted and glanced back at Adam's door.

"Well, he might now that he has a new assistant, Tsuki." Paige chimed. She looked around and saw Tsuki by the elevators. "There she is!" Paige walked forward excitedly. "Tsuki, Tsuki!"

Emma rolled her eyes but smiled. "Paige and I always trying to be the welcoming committee. But she doesn't see that this girl might be a closed box." She whispered to Lucas. Lucas hummed as they got closer to Paige and Tsuki.

Tsuki heard the call and turned with a smile. "Paige, Emma! I was just coming to... look for you." She faultered a little when she saw Lucas with them, but she managed to catch herself. Oh dear. Please don't let him be coming along! She quickly lined up a few excuses in her mind, only excuses she'd be willing to follow through with. She smiled brightly and waited for them to catch up with her.

Back