"Oh!" Patricia gasped, then quickly bit her lip. She sat down in the chair. "Well, for one, as you have seen, when we transform, we tend to be naked. So he has seen female bodies before." Patricia smiled at her softly. "And two, while Adam is," she paused for a bit. "Brutish, he tries not to be disrespectful. He probably knew that you didn't know and looked away. Also, believe it or not," Patricia looked back to the bathroom door. Leaning in a bit, she smirked. "He has practically zero experience with women."

(I read "Brutish" as "British" the first time and was soooo confused! XD)

Tsuki wasn't sure how to respond to that or if it made her feel any better, so she decided to be safe and shrug. "I'm glad he had the presence of mind not stare... Anyway, I am worried about him. I took him to the vet..." She blushed slightly. "I thought he was a stray, so I took him to get checked out, and the vet said they do not usually care for strays, but she cleaned it and said to take him to get it looked at with someone else."

(LOL! I wrote it as British when I first typed it.)

“Ben can look at him.” Patricia waved away Tsuki’s concern and pulled out her checkbook. Ignoring and avoiding the stray comment. “Do you want a check or cash?” She looked back up at Tsuki. “And this is because I know the bill of vets. No strings attached, I promise.”

"I feel bad about taking money for taking care of someone in need," Tsuki said slowly. It sure would be nice considering how tight things were, but her father would rather go hungry than let someone try to pay him back for helping them. It just wasn't done! If they wanted to owe a favor, that was another matter usually gone unspoken, but payment in money? He'd be clucking his tongue at her for hesitating.

“You feel bad for letting someone do something good for someone else.” Patricia raised an eyebrow at Tsuki. “Plus, if you don’t let me do it, Adam might do something drastic like make it as part of your paycheck and that would be awkward. So cash or check?” Patricia stood up.

Tsuki sighed, her shoulders slumping. "My Papa would be so disappointed," she mumbled. "Alright... I suppose... cash? Unless check is easier for you, then that is fine, too. Whatever is best." She formulated an answer in her head in case Patricia asked how much, and the number was much lower than the truth.

“Cash is perfect!” Patricia began pulling a few hundred bills out. “This should cover it.” Patricia smiled as she put the bills onto the table. Looking at the table she spoke softly, her smile disappearing. “What happened anyway? That wound didn’t look like a random thug did it.” Patricia looked up, her dark eyes stern.

Tsuki stared at the pills suddenly laying on her table. "I-aduh who... withump..." she stammered, her tongue completely abandoning all knowledge of how to speak at the sight of so much money. So. Much. Money! She could not remember ever seeing that much money in cash before in her Life! And here Patricia was just carrying it around!

The question sunk through Tsuki's shock, and she looked up at the other woman. "Well, it is like he said... this ugly thug..." she said as slowly as she could manage. She didn't want to rat Adam out, and having him tell her to go to the police was bad enough. Patricia looked like the kind of person to skip the police and go straight for the baseball bat to the groin. She was trying to stall as long as she could, but she didn't want to lie, either. Where was Adam?! How long did it take men to put on clothing? Her Papa would have been done by now, and he needed help! "And this thug... Well, he attacked, and it was pretty bad."

It took Adam longer than he wanted to get dressed. Mainly because he took a moment to sit, just sit. He didn’t worry about what happens next, he didn’t worry about his father’s deal, he didn’t even worry about talking to someone. He even blocked the conversation outside. He just sat and breathed. Then after a moment, he got up and got dressed.

His injury slowed him down a bit. Especially since Tía brought him a solid black t-shirt and jeans. The t-shirt specifically was the hardest thing to put on. Moving his shoulder hurt but it didn’t resume bleeding. Finally, he was done and went back out.

“So you saw the attack and the thug?” Adam moved fast at Tía’s question. Most people thought Connie got her interrogation skills from their father. Not one of those people met Tía.

“Tsuki was just someone trying to help out, Tía.” Adam said announcing his arrival. He looked at Tsuki, to make sure she was alright. The pile of cash made him blink. “You reimbursed her?” Tía nodded. “Good,” Adam sighed and looked at Tsuki. “I’ve wasted enough of your time as is. Thank you and sorry for inconveniencing you.” He bowed his head to Tsuki.

"Holding up the check-out line because you cannot find your checkbook is an inconvenience. I'd say this goes a little beyond that," Tsuki found herself saying in a dry tone before she could stop herself. Oh, well, it was out now. She huffed a small sigh. "Look, Mr. González, I really have no idea what happened last..." She hesitated. How long had it been? It seemed like five minutes and five years at the same time! "The whole thing and your... dogginess... but I promise not to tell anyone or bother you with a bunch of intrusive questions. You have a right to your privacy whoever and, I suppose, whatever you may be. That said... helping someone in need such as you were is never an inconvenience, sir."

“Even so,” Adam sighed. “I can see that I have caused you a great deal of stress.” Even without examining her, he could feel and smell the stress wafting from her. “And if you wish to seek employment elsewhere, I understand that as well.” It would suck for him, but he also understood that she wants a stress free life. Adam glanced around the tiny apartment. “There would be no repercussions. With anything.” Adam focused back on Tsuki.

“And I’ve told Ben about today and you’re free to take the day off.” Patricia added.

"I cannot afford another job," Tsuki said bluntly. "The job I have right now with you pays more than any other job I could currently get, and right now, that means more to me than people randomly turning into giant fluffy cupcakes. I feel no more in danger at Enchantments than when I worked across the street from George the Tom Cat. Your brother scared me more with his whole stop-the-elevator thing than you did." She shrugged. "The point I am trying to make is... you cannot possibly add any more stress than you already have with your yelling and surliness. What's a little dog hair? Besides, I kind of owe you for saving me... and for not firing me when I dumped hot coffee in your lap." She managed a smile at that.

“You haven’t done anything I don’t normally do.” Adam said matching Tsuki’s smile. “Except the cupcake thing. I hope to hear a better nickname by Monday.” Adam’s lips flickered into a smirk.

“And I would love to see my daughter soon.” Adam stilled at Tía’s knowing voice. Quickly he nodded at Tsuki and turned towards the door. “Gracías Tsuki. See you soon and enjoy your weekend off.” She followed Adam until he stopped.

“Do you have a pen and paper, Tía?” Patricia nodded and handed Adam an old receipt and a black pen. Quickly he scribbled his name and phone number. Then he went to put it on the cash on the table. “Just in case you run into any, thugs.” He said quietly before turning and going out the door. Tía followed him with a smile.

“Thugs? You could just ask her to call.” Despite Tía’s blatant advice and the heat flooding Adam’s cheeks, he really hoped that Tsuki understood that he was just giving her something to help deal with George the Tomcat.

“I really hate cats.” Adam murmured to himself.

Tsuki shook her head in amazed amusement as she watched the pair go then locked the door behind them. This had been such a strange day! And it wasn't even ten o'clock in the morning! She was almost afraid to find out what the rest of the day held for her with this kind of start. She sighed and brushed a bit of hair out of her eyes, wishing she had work to distract her. What now?

She crossed over to the table where Mr. González had left the money and note. That was kind of him and his sister to reimburse her, and she supposed she had no cause to feel guilty or embarrassed. Even Papa would try to pay someone back for a vet visit. Though he would not have gone this overboard. Her eyes widened as she counted out the bills. This definitely covered it! Plus a little extra. That would come in handy, but she must be careful.

The first thing Tsuki did was call a cab to the hospital. Her bike - wonder of wonders - was still there! From there, she rode to one of the nicer clothing stores. It was not the most upscale place, but it was certainly better than the thrift stores she normally went to for clothing. She took great care in picking out two outfits for work. That was an actual need! Two skirts, two blouses, and a shrug that could go with either as well as two new pairs of tights. Perfectly professional! Now she could look like someone who held a prestigious job. Best of all, she'd found them all on sale!

Shopping done, she stopped by a little café for a small treat then headed home once more, satisfied. It had been a long day, and she was looking forward to some downtime. Maybe she could read the book Mr. González had given her! Anything but sit thinking about fluffy dogs. She was never going to be able to look at a dog the same way again.

In the car, the silence ate at Adam's nerves.

"Should I tell dad?" Adam asked quickly. To break the silence and because the question wouldn't leave his brain. "He's not going to be happy with me, but he wouldn't do anything to Tsuki, right?" The way Tía bit her lip did not ease Adam's worries.

"Your father is not in the best place to receive such news." She said slowly. "I believe you are handling it well." Adam blinked at her, but she kept her eyes on the road. "And while I know that there is more to this story, and I trust you enough to know that you would not intentionally and selfishly put the family at risk." Adam looked away embarrassed that his lie was so transparent, but also the praise. His Tía trusted him. Maybe he could deal with this, and his father's deal, and the Agatha mess, and work on his own. "With that said, what are you going to do about it?" Tía glanced at him quickly, before refocusing on the road.

"Nothing," Adam said resolutely. She glanced and jerked the car a bit before going back straightening. After a moment of collecting himself, he spoke. "I can't and won't force her to keep silent. And, I don't think she's the type to look for an angle." The many scenarios she could have used against him, popped into his mind. His family, his sleeping habits, his waking habits, his less than personable attitude, there were so many things. But she didn't use any of that. She just did her job.

"You trust her."

"I trust that she wants her job." And maybe, just maybe he might trust her. Maybe.

Reuben finished stacking the boxes of collectable merchandise. He stepped back with a smile then frowned and stepped forward again to fish a crooked box. That made another box crooked, so he had to fix that one, and that made another one crooked, and so it went until he'd nearly rearranged the entire stack. Finally satisfied, he stepped back once more and gave a nod.

"Hey, George! I finished!" he said in delight, turning to his friend. "I think I did a good job, too! What do you think? It's a new shape. I have never tried a pyramid before, but I like it! I might do them all this way from now on instead of a square."

“Great,” George waved a hand dismissively, barely glancing at Reuben. He was focused on his hands. They were human now, but he still felt the claws from last night. The power within the animal he attacked still thrummed through him. It had to be one of them, one of the Gonzálezs. Did they know? How did they find out? Is that why they were after his girl? It was odd that she suddenly got a job at the publishing company, despite her lack of experience.

“Reuben,” George was still focused on his hands when he called. “Would you hire someone that had no experience?”

Reuben thought about the question. "I guess so," he said slowly, his brow knit in confusion. "I don't know why I'd be hiring anyone, but I guess if I was hiring them, then they must be under me, meaning they wouldn't need any experience. I could teach them." He grinned, thinking he'd solved it, and glanced at George. From George's intense face, maybe not. "Or is this one of those 'hypo' questions? Um... no? I guess it depends on what the position is. Why? Are we hiring someone new?"

"No!" George said with disgust. "I, uh! You wouldn't understand." George huffed as he looked away from Reuben. "Although," George looked back at Rueben. "You do have a point. The only reason a non-experience person would be hired is to be taught close and personal with the boss, very personal." Which in this case was a Gonzalez. An animalistic, self-rightous, annoying, and according to rumours, brutish Adam Gonzalez. A Gonzalez that could and probably would hurt his girl. George growled at the thought. "MyTsuki is in trouble."

Reuben hesitated. "Um, but, George, if she was in trouble and liked you as much as she liked you, wouldn't she tell you?" he asked cautiously. "Maybe she's just ladder climbing. My dad says that's what my mother was doing. Guys were like rungs of a ladder and she wasn't going to stop until she reached the top. Maybe Tsuki is doing the same thing."

Back