Halo: Humans vs Covenant [Side Story] A Sniper Snipe-off

Raynar Saassin

Multiverse RP'er
Benefactor
350px-HaloReach_-_UNSCFrigate.png

On board the UNSC: Chiglossa, two ODST's by the name of Andrew Shane and Steve Ryker were on a break after both of their successful missions against the local Insurrection. Taking to the training range individually, their scores were the top 2 on the leaderboards for pinpoint accuracy and efficiency. Over time, they've improved on their scores as if it were some sort of rivalry.

A rivalry... that took the eye of a iconic Sergeant.

250px-H2A-SgtAveryJohnson-Main.jpg

Sergeant Major Johnson, a iconic commander who's known for his no-nonsense attitude and large morale boosting speeches, was taking a visit of Chiglossa to grab a few marines for a routine scouting mission against the Covenant, when he took notice of two men on the training range's leader-board. Using the terminal that was there, he paged both men.

"Shane, Ryker. Get your asses to the training range! I wish to see your skills for myself."

@Azathoth @Agent Puncake

"Yessir! You'll be amazed, sir!" Steve downed the last of his water and exited the break room, making his way through the corridors to the range. Before that, however, he headed for the armoury for his weapon.

"Name and rank." The man's voice was almost bored.

"Corporal Steve Ryker."

"One second, please." The man disappeared for a minute and came back with a sniper rifle. "Here you go, Corporal. Your... Penetrator." He chuckled. "Not bad. The tag's sanctioned?"

"Absolutely, sir." Steve filled in some paperwork and, in short order, he was back on track, headed for the range.

"On my way sir" Andrew said sliding off his bunk, he quickly made his way out of his room and to the armory.

"I need my rifle" he said to the requisition officer.
"Another one huh? Alright one second." The officer said and walked back before returning with the rifle.
"Here you go," he said, he handed him the rifle, and with a quick thank you, Andrew headed down the corridors to the range.
He wondered exactly what the Sergeant was up to.

"Alright, listen up!" Johnson stated as he immediately grabbed their attention and most of the nearby marines too. "You two have quite the skill with your Sniper Rifles, and that has most definitely grabbed my attention. You two almost seem like you have a rivalry generating, which is good. It builds character. Now you all joined my beloved Corps but rose to the rank as ODST's. Which is why you two will be coming with me on a more... practical training wheel."

"Woah... The Serge hand-picking ODST's for a mission? Must be pretty serious."
"Yeah... why aren't I getting picked for this?"

Most of the Marines in the barracks were starting to bicker, causing idol chatter which Johnson immediately went to calm. "Settle down Marines. This ain't the time for tactical chatter. Now where was I? Ah yes. You two, Shane and Ryker. You'll be competing against each other while completing the mission I have set for you two. Do you accept?"

@Azathoth @Agent Puncake

Steve looked over to Andrew. What had started off a friendly sniping sessions has quickly turned into still-friendly, but infinitely more competitive sniping sessions. But getting hand-picked by the Sergeant Major himself was an opportunity - no, an honour - too good to pass up. And, of course, beating Andrew once and for all. He saluted. "I accept, sir! So long as we're not just supposed to standing around lookin' pretty, sir."

Andrews smiled, this was great, their little game had grabbed a higher ups attention, and they were being handpicked? This was an honor, one he wouldn't squander, he'd show just what he could do.
"Same here sir, long as I get to kill some aliens, I'd be happy to sir."
He wasn't about to lose to Steve, he had managed to stay a step ahead in their matches, and this wouldn't be any different.

"Good. Then you two will be coming with me." Johnson exclaimed as he began to walk out of the training range and towards the direction of the Hanger, where a Pelican would be waiting for them. "To make the briefing simple, we'll be heading towards one of our outpost stations in Covenant Space where we are under siege by those Elites. You'll be laying down covering fire as they board. Am I clear?"

@Azathoth @Agent Puncake

"Crystal Sir!" Andrew said giving a brief salute. Its about time these ugly bastards were taught a lesson. It was payback time.

"Alright then. Follow me to the Hanger. I have a Pelican ready." Johnson stated as he began to walk off towards the hanger bay. Assuming of course the other two were following him, he'd ask them some questions.

"So, what got you both into signing up for the ODSTS, and not my beloved marine corps?"

@Azathoth @Agent Puncake

"Ex-Marine, sir." Steve answered. "Got drafted for ODST for my aim, my muscle, and my balls."

Truth be told, he didn't have at least one of those, and another one was finicky. But he did have the first one, and man was he good at it. Hopefully.

@Raynar Saassin

"Same here sir, my aim made the higher ups take notice and offered me the spot. I took the offer without a second thought, don't regret my decision sir." Andrew said while following the sergeant. He had always had good aim, and he had been glad it had been recognized.
"If I may ask sir, how many of those ugly shits are we going to be dealing with?" He asked curiously.

"Enough to keep us busy for the next few years. But on this particular operation, we'll be focusing on a small outpost near Harvest. We'll need some place to stage our campaign to take it back." Johnson stated, continuing his walk towards the Hanger bay.

"So you were both drafted for your aim then. Good, we need more sharpshooters out there keeping our beloved corp asses covered."

Steve blinked. "Sir, you're saying... we won't be inserting via drop pods? Are we simply tagging along as marksmen, or are we doing what we do best?" He shot a playful glance at Andrew. "Well, what some of us do best."

Back