Silly question

I'm personally also used to DnD type roleplaying. So I'm relatively new as well. But a tip that would help me roleplay would possibly be making a schedule for roleplaying if you have a large and exciting thread you are planning on making or joining. This is mainly due to each individual roleplayers personal life and the time and energy they may have. You could make a schedule/goal of 1-2 medium-length roleplay posts a week or even more if your time allows it. This sets a nice boundary of expectation and understanding between you and your fellow writers. They'll know when to expect a reply and you can also feel less stressed knowing where your expectations lie.
Another tip for roleplaying by threads would be leaving open spaces in writing for other roleplayers' interpretation. This refers to giving other players time to respond to your character's actions, prompting for character interactions that can strengthen the overall narrative. Also if you are beginning to join roleplays, In the beginning, I tended to choose characters that may have slightly less knowledge or experience in order for seasoned and veteran roleplayer characters to sort of guide my character but also me through the world so I can learn and eventually help new roleplayers as well. Hope this helps a little!

Ooo Schedule is a good one. Once you figure out what length posts you like to write and style, you'll know better how much time it takes you to give partners a response. There's no better way to get burnt out, then to take on more than you can keep up with.

Setting up a good plotter/notes to keep yourself organized is good too. I like to have a link to all my threads with links to mine and my partner's character info so I can click around to find what I need easily while writing.

Really just have fun with it, I like to make my character first (like with DnD), whatever I'm in the mood to play at that time and just run with it. It's different in the sense that you and your partner(s) are essentially the DMs jointly, so be sure to contribute to the plot lines as much as your partners do.

Unless of course you're in a DM situation, then forget what I said lol

Back