Sky Full of Stars

Merli was beyond conflicted, she needed to escape and fast, but here was her proof in front of her. She could ask him questions. But, it seemed humans had their own ideas of what the elves were like. Merli frowned when he said that actions have consequences, "What you think that crimes In my home go unpunished!" She glared and stared at him confused when he apologized when he hit her the last thing she saw was the book in his hands. She fell over her hood falling as she hit the ground with a thud.

Kaz looked down at her, then at his own hands. He knocked out an elf. Wow. It was easier than he had expected. But... wasn't the elf a girl? Oh god, he just knocked out a girl! He didn't really feel that great about it, knocking out a girl and all, but she probably could have killed him or even knocked him out herself, so really it wasn't like she was defenseless. Kaz picked her up. She was surprisingly light. He draped her over his shoulder. He walked out of the library, and down the halls.

Who was he going to tell about this? His parents and most people of importance had left for the festival, and even Jacen had already left for the festival. So who was he going to tell? Then, by a stroke of luck, the captain of the guard entered the hall, and saw Kaz and the girl.

"Prince Kaz!" The Captain said. "Is that an elf?"

Kaz nodded. "Yes, Captain, it is. I found her in the library, snooping around, and I knocked her out. I'm going to bring her to the dungeon. When my parents get back, let them know of the situation." He told the Captain.

The Captain nodded and ran off. Kaz continued down the hallway, before reaching a staircase, he took the staircase down, deep into the castle. Soon, he arrived at the dungeons. The dungeons weren't all that bad, and were relatively clean and for a dungeon. They were mostly rat-free, but they kept on coming back. Kaz took her down the dungeon hallway. A couple of guards in the dungeon stood at attention as Kaz brought in the elf. The guards opened an iron door to a cell, and Kaz walked inside. He placed the elf girl gently down, and attached the steel chains that were attached to the wall to her arms.

"I want to ask her some questions. I might be here a while, tell the chefs to prepare two lunches, one for me, and the other for the elf, find out whatever elves like." Kaz told the guards. They nodded and shut the cell door, locking it. Kaz pulled out a chair and sat across from her, looking at her. He sat just out of reach of the elf. This could take a while.

Merli woke up quite sometime after with a groan. "Goddess Kaia my head hurts." She mumbled and tried to reach to rub her head feeling a tinge in her arm and a chain clink. Opening her eyes she looked at her arm. "What the hell?!" Pulling her arm harder she started struggling, dirtying her dress on the dungeon floor, her silver hair whipping wildly around her. Looking up she saw the boy from before and glared. Growling she yelled at him, "Let me free human!"

"Calm down." Kaz told her. "I'm not going to hurt you. You're merely chained up in my dungeon." He paused, and thought on that sentence for a second. "Okay, so I realize that sounds bad, but it didn't sound so bad in my head." He admitted. He looked at her. "You know, you're the first elf I've ever even seen." He said

"So, what are you doing here, in the human kingdom? Why did you sneak into my house?" He asked her.

Merli glared at him, "Yes, calm down as I am chained to a wall!" When he spoke again she sighed and settled for looking at the ground, "Yes, because we tend to stay hidden from barbarians like you for this precise reason. I've already told you why I was here! I was curious. Now let me go or by the goddess Kaia I will hurt you!" She lifted her blue eyes to his, she was angry. And the longer she stayed from the castle the more likely the generals would be to overthrow her mother, let alone attack at will. And even though this boy and the rest of the humans chained her up she would prefer for them not to die.

Kaz watched her as she explained why she had sneaked in and why elves stayed away from humans. "Well, if elves didn't kill humans for no reason and sneak into our homes, we wouldn't be in this situation now would we?" He asked her, tilting his head. "Yeah, so you told me. Sounds like a pretty lame excuse and lie if you ask me, and I would know, I've used that one many times when I'm someplace I'm not supposed to be in." He told her. "And I can't just let you go, seeing as how you broke into my house and then threatened me." Kaz said. "So, you want to tell me what you were really doing here?" He asked.

"Elves have plenty of reason to kill you lot. I don't approve of the killing so I choose not to kill, as I've said before I've never slain any barbarians." Merli's words were starting to become more growls. If he didn't believe her what was she supposed to say, she huffed and rolled her eyes. Humans were foolish, not believing her. She was being honest. Merli sighed and hung her head, "I threatened you after you drew your sword human, As I said I do not want to kill you, not any of you. I was curious. But, if you do not believe me then so be it." Merli went silently staring at the ground, she was hungry and her head ached terribly.

Kaz looked at her. She was starting to become aggresive. Kaz raised his hands up in surrender. "Hey, no need to get feisty. And I drew my sword after you threatened me." He told her. She said, once again, that she was just curious. "I think you're telling the truth. The others... maybe not so much. But I do, I think you were genuinely just curious." He told her. He really did think that, seeing as how she said she had barely encountered humans. Kaz reclined back. "You hungry? I have food on the way. What do elves eat, anyway? I have no idea." He admitted.

"So, what's your name? I'm Kaz Warren." He said, introducing himself.

Merli ignored him at first, no need to be feisty, she was chained like a wild animal. When he asked her what elves ate she scoffed, "Food. We eat what the earth provides, be it fruit, vegetables or meat." She brought her gaze to meet his. "You ask me my name like we are friends." She tilted her head causing her white hair to fall over her shoulder. "My name is Merli, but you humans have the habit of calling me the Star." Merli knew what the humans called her, saying that would help prove her innocence. Of course, she wouldn't reveal she was a princess. That would have him hold to much leverage. "If I was here to invade your capital I would have killed you the first instant, I wouldn't have wasted my breath with threats. But I suppose humans wouldn't understand that."

Kaz shrugged. "Sorry, I just don't know what elves eat. I don't know much about them." He said. "What? I can't not want to know what the name of my prisoner is?" He said. She said her name like Kaz would know who she was. He didn't he really didn't. She even said what the humans called her. Yeah, Kaz had never heard of her, but he didn't want to be rude. "Sorry, I've... never heard of you before." He admitted. Then, she said that if she was here to invade the capital, she would have killed him without threats. "Yeah, maybe that's why I reached for my sword. Because I didn't know why you were here, and the point that you would have killed me without threats, so of course I was a bit defensive because I didn't know why you were there." Kaz replied. Then, she said that humans wouldn't understand that. "Yeah, we wouldn't, because we actually give our opponents a chance to reconsider, and to allow our opponents to choose to live, unlike elves, who just murder people straight up." He said. Kaz sighed, "We're getting nowhere with this. The food will be here soon, don't worry." He told her.

"Prisoner..." Merli's face scrunched at the word. Hearing that he had never heard of her made her look at him curiously. "You humans are the ones that named me such....you must be a diplomat, a soldier would know for sure." She narrowed her eyes at him, just like humans to blam all of their trouble on the elves. "We do not mindlessly murder, you humans are the barbarians... And I will not worry." Merli was trying to keep her cool but she was rather hungry, the sound of her growling stomach betrayed her and her dirt-stained face turned red. She looked away from the boy. "How much longer will you have me chained to the wall, when may I leave? These chains are cutting into my arms and I would prefer to sit properly. I am a woman still elven of not." Merli was still flushed from her growl though it was dying down. The chains made it hard for her t move, and unlike the humans elven clothes were a bit more..revealing.

Back