Some questions about GM'ing a particular idea

Lazzamore

WAAAAAAAAAA-
I have an idea for a Fantasy Nation building RP, but have some questions regarding how to run it.

1: What size of world is generally preferred? The world I want to use is one some friends and I have built before, and their are many continents and places. So I can have the RP center around just one or two continents, or the whole world, but which is preferred?

2: Does it often work to have NPC nations that existed before the player factions? Again, this world has a lot of history, so this idea has feet, if it wouldn't take away from the experience. Primarily I thought to do this to lend credibility to the world, because prior to the roleplay their are lots of countries and I have yet to decide how many can stay. This will also need to be a factor for deciding scope.

Thank you all for reading this!

No advice for you, but I'd like to use @Pawnige's Dark Continent for your map. I feel bad for not using it in Ages Eternal, It'd be great to use it in your next project.

The Dark Continent, you say? While it would do Pawniges heart well to see his work in action, we already have maps for this setting, so please don't be disappointed/mad if I don't.

Either way, I don't think I have that one anyhow. Not that you need to send me it, we'd likely have to change some names around to use it. I'll bring it up with Pawn though, thanks for your suggestion.

2: Does it often work to have NPC nations that existed before the player factions? Again, this world has a lot of history, so this idea has feet, if it wouldn't take away from the experience. Primarily I thought to do this to lend credibility to the world, because prior to the roleplay their are lots of countries and I have yet to decide how many can stay. This will also need to be a factor for deciding scope.

I'm glad you brought this up, because NPCs outshining the PCs is a real problem in many genres. NPCs have the advantage of being developed as part of the backstory, while the player characters are developed by mere players, who can neither edit the backstory the way the GM can, nor read the GM's mind; therefore, the NPCs can be "baked" into the setting in a way that PCs can't. (There's also the issue of GM favoritism, which I'll get to later.) There are a few tricks I've developed for mitigating this, and while I developed them in the context of tabletop RPGs, they should generalize.

1) Are the PCs and NPCs active on the same scale? If the NPCs have some grand plot over the span of aeons, which the PCs simply aren't important enough to affect (yet?), then the NPCs are forced to take a background role. It might seem counter-intuitive, making the NPCs more awesome to keep them from outshining the PCs, but it is effective in moving them "out of context" with regards to what the PCs care about.

Think about it this way - if you're writing a sitcom about office politics, you'll want to have some idea what's going on with the larger company, but the specifics don't really matter. The CEO of our hypothetical corporation acts on a larger scope from the main cast, and so they become a background feature. In fact, we can see this happen in real-world TV shows such as, well, The Office. In the same vein, Firefly's Alliance is the real power of the 'verse, but Alliance politics come up exactly never except as backdrop to a heist.

2) Keep the NPCs reactive. This is something of a generalization of the above. If the NPCs don't mess with the players until the players mess with them first, that's also effective at pushing them into the background. As a corollary, when the NPCs do start taking notice of the PCs, it makes the players feel awesome. (This point was really driven home by a quote from one of my Fate players, upon realizing a blockade was set specifically to catch the party: "I guess we're a big deal now." He was grinning.)

3) Let the PCs have relations with the NPCs. (No, not that kind of relation. Get your head out of the gutter.) In the 13th Age system, every player character has some sort of relationship with three "iconic" NPCs. Fate actively encourages players to help the GM define NPCs by referencing them in the PC's aspect list. If the PCs and NPCs are supposed to be on a more even footing than the above would imply, setting up the character sheet so the two can care about each other is a really good idea. As a nice bonus, you can use the same system to encourage players to set up relationships between PCs, if you're so inclined.

That said, I would recommend keeping the number of significant NPCs small. Even if they're just reactive per suggestion 2, having too much information to keep track of can overwhelm the players and even the GM. Minor NPCs are actually worse in some ways, because the players feel like they have to keep track of them even if they're ultimately just there to provide texture; making it clear who is and who isn't important can help, of course. This also gets back to your first question about the size of the space (though, as I've never attempted to run a civilization-building game, I can't offer too much concrete advice there). Once you figure out a list of NPCs that the players can reasonably track, mapping out their territory and leaving room for the PC factions should give you a good size. Generally speaking, I'd imagine that the map should be smaller the more micromanagement is needed, and vice verse. If people are worried about individual cities, there should only be a few of those. If the game is more concerned with broad geographical areas, you can go larger. Going back to my tabletop days again, though, creating distant NPC civilizations can be a great way to make the map feel bigger without actually adding much complexity.

I hope that helps! And please feel free to send any follow-up questions my way.

I think a decent idea for your RP would be to set the playable area in a relatively isolated region in your RP. Maybe a place bordered by mountains and lakes, or heck, an island near the mainland. This will give the starting players a nice little area to start up and interact in, and once you get more players, you can open up the playable area a bit to keep things from getting too crowded. This should solve issues with having one player separated from the rest of the group by a large divide of NPCs.

TL-DR: Start in a region, open up more regions as the size and number of nations grow.

Back