Soul Forge 1x1

Knowing have the night was gone, as were half of her food rations, Lady decided to return to the castle. The next morning, she went about as much research as she could regarding the stolen relics. There wasn't much to go on, but a rumor had placed a lead in a small village not too far from the city. A minor lordling being a bit boastful over the spoils of a 'battle' supposedly had a relic included in the riches.

Leaving while the crowd was distracted with Doriane would now be the best option now that she had been delayed, so the morning of their departure, she pinned her long braid into a halo around her head, donned the plain blue tunic and pants then lashed the saddle and bridle to a grey dappled mare chosen at random from the stables. It wasn't until she was leaving the stables at a brisque trot through the streets that Lady heard her name being called. She hesitated to stop at first, but when she realized it was only Ben, she tugged on the reins and slowed the horse. Rather than slowing down as well, the crazy cleric zoomed past her while tossing a bag into her lap. It clicked loudly, and she opened the draw string to find potions, a dagger, and note.

A little smile graced her lips, as she folded the note and then tied the dagger to her black belt on the opposite hip off her small, featureless sword. Her first stop would be the village where she had heard the rumors come from. A promise was a promise.

Doriane watched as the cleric blazed past him, while admonishing him at the same time. Where this guy got off telling him anything was beyond him. They would be moving at the pace he designed or he would find another cleric to do the job better. With a final casual wave, he set out down the road, his armor clacking with the pace of the horse until he caught up with the cleric. "Cleric, we will be taking the east road and within the next two days into the Fair Forest," he said turning his horse in the direction. The forest wasn't a place for humans, but he had no fear. A guardian had privileges and no worries to speak of when it came to the other races. Their word was law. "You'd better keep up and keep quiet."

"And you probably know thats in the opposite direction of the path to the Forge aswell." Ben replied immidiately dismissing the idea. "See heres the problem we already post poned 2 days do to a valid switch if we dilly dally any any longer your pilgrimage will be held the next four months....unless you think your the only Guardian taking the test you'll have to slay a Winged Serpent and let me tell you we only have 3 that are good for the test unless ofcourse you can pcure a full grown winged serpent your 'highness'?" Ben said before continuing to his desired path.

Doriane continued on his way towards the east road. The Carenium was on an island and the coast was far to the east of the plains. What this cleric was blathering about he had no idea, but he knew his own way and the man could either fulfill his duty and follow him, or not. "I intend to take the same road my mother did to the Forge, and if we are behind, then stop talking and go." Leaving the other rider behind, the Lord's son set out to the east at a cantor. It would be just fast enough to make decent progress with out wearing out the horse needlessly. Waves of tall grasses flanked each side of the road, glowing golden in the early morning sunshine which was chasing away the chill of night as he rode along. Finally, the chatty cleric caught up with him and Doriane settled in for another gabbing session. The road would be a long one to the next village and they needed to reach it before dark.

Ben watched as the lad continued onward to the forest before sighing 'If only they just listened' Ben though glumly having expected an easy ride using the hippogryphs of the order before riding near him Ben started playing with a knife tossing it in his hand

"Well atleast you've got spunk.....then again a lass i met has more" Ben said commented continuing "I wonder whos stronger between you two....You who reached his peak or someone that hasn't realised there potential" Ben continued off handedly spotting a near by rabbit he threw the knife as it soared and hit the rabbits neck killing it instantly. "I got a snack he said before picking it up using his chain whip.

Last edited:
Doriane ignored the rabbit. He fully intended on finding some food at the inn where they were headed. It would be the last stop with any modicum of comfort for awhile. What did interest him was this woman the cleric spoke of and the fact that the idiot was outright insulting him.

"What woman?" Doriane replied, "I highly doubt she could best me. Maybe in sandwich making."

"Honey colored hair and blue green eyes and a below average chest as well as pale skin, her names 'Lady' I was suppose to accompany her to the forge but it got post-poned I'll meet up with her after dealing with you." Ben said as he started draining the rabbit of its blood on the side of the horse before starting to skin it the chestnut mare seemed to be accustomed to the action and merely followed after Doriane's stallions path.

"You've reached your peak at least Mid-Priest level by my standards and it will increase IF you past the test but she could be at Master Cleric if she trained hard then exceed that when she passes the test." Ben said before hanging the skinned rabbit by his chain whip waiting it to dry.

Doriane's brow wrinkled as he tried to imagine the kind of woman the cleric described. A standard woman besides maybe the eyes and lighter hair. It came closer to his sister's looks, but his sibling wasn't spunky. She was quiet, bookish, and demure at best. He knew all of his competition from the major houses. This Lady must have been from one of the Minor Guardian families. Those people were hardly worth noticing.

"I've never heard of the woman, and it's likely I won't again. I doubt she's worth much, if she's from a minor house," Doriane shrugged, "As for my skill, I would hardly trust the opinion of a simple adept." With that, he kicked his hors into a gallop and sprayed the man with mud laughing the whole way down the road.

"Yeah its not like Lord Doriane has enough of a brain to understand that status has nothing to do with how an individuals power truly is" Ben said like it was only natural, before a simple gust blew the mud back at Dorianes head 'Anti-Projectile coats are the best' Ben praised his robe as he left the traditional path.

'Were getting to close to the horned dire wolf territory better be ready' Ben thought as he readies himself for the wolves to follow the rabbits scent.

The young Lord was too far ahead in his wild gallop and the returned mud fell short. The morning wore on to afternoon and Doriane stayed just ahead the cleric, to enjoy the peace of silence. The tall grasses stayed a constant waving sea, and even as calm as they looked danger always stirred beneath the surface. Doriane knew that something was stalking them in th grasses when the little alicanto birds following them from above suddenly went quiet and fluttered away. Glancing at the cleric, the young Lord his brow. "Keep watch, we aren't alone on the road."

Within the next half league the a rustling in the bushes was the only warning Doriane and the cleric had as a wild half the size of the horse leapt into the road, teeth bared. His horse jumped, but it was trained for war. Taking the reigns in one hand, the lordling drew his long sword and charged after the beast without hesitation. "Watch out for the ones on the side!"

Sure enough, while the one to the front made a show, four more wolves flanked them to the side.

As Doriane readied for battle Ben jumped of his horse as it quickly ran a few steps away and quickly decapitated one using the momentum of his jump, a blue crack of eletricity appeared from the blade fading afterwards.

A second horned dire wolf came after his head barely avoiding its horn before slicing its left fore leg in a counter attack. More electricty came from the blade as it sliced it clean off

'Time to let the Prince deal with the rest' Ben thought before he finished off the downed wolf. Looking over to see white eyes peering through 'Tsk. I better take acer of my own mess' Ben thought seeing he attracted atleast 2 packs with the blood. He then rush to face the wolves in hiding leaving the prince to tend to the 3 left.

The one at the front was easy to fell from horse back. It leapt at him and between the trained horses hooves and a slice to its belly, the wolf squealed which came to an abrupt end. The cleric's horse galloped past him with out the man atop, as he spun around to see the other members of the pack closing in. He went to work, alongside the troublesome man from his horse. There was no need to get off when the animal was just as useful a tool for taking down the creatures. With a few kicks, the horse reared back and delivered a heavy stomp to the next wolf, crushing it, and the Doriane swooped down for a killing swipe to its neck. He had to admit, the cleric worked fast, but he didn't use any forms of magic, like the lordling would have expected. Another went down, and he looked up to see the cleric was gone but a tell-tale line was jetting across the grass. Apparently he liked to run head long into tall grass where he could be easily out flanked. Rolling his eyes, Doriane spurred his horse into a gallop and dove into the grass too. It wouldn't look well to arrive at the next town with the torn up body of a cleric flopped over his horses haunches or to arrive without one at all.

Suddenly one of the wolves jetted out in from of him and tangled with his mount's legs. They tumbled to the dirt, and Doriane yelled as his horse did what it was trained to do for battle. Roll, then haul itself back it its feet with the task of the rider to stay put in the saddle. The young lord managed to stay astride the animal, his armor protecting him from most of the weight and the ground, except his face which was mashed right into the stringy mud. "Ugh!" Shaking his head sent mud splattering from his curls and he growled at seeing his sword was dislodged from his hand. Damned idiot. He drew his second short sword and half lopped the wolves head off before continuing into the field. When he finally caught up to the cleric, they were in a clearing and there were but 3 wolves left. Doriane kicked his horse into a run and made a swipe at the first, only for the cleric to have killed the last two.

"You are a damned idiot for running into the grass," Doriane growled, "Oh, and your horse is gone." He sincerely hoped the man enjoyed walking.

Looking at the scorched grass around him white ash could be seen billowing from the corpses of the pack that was hiding from sight a few moments ago, between the trees laid the Alpha who was muh bigger than a horse a jagged horn sat atop his head it was glaring menacingly at him 'I seemed to have killed his mates' Ben thought his left hand was in his pocket his right was on his bloodied blade that seemed to slowly vaporize the blood on it. He looked like he wasn't taking this seriosuly at all.

The lordling came on his horse telling him about how his horse left 'I can probably call it later otherwise ill just use 'that' or walk' Ben thought as he mused suddenly the Alpha who was several leagues away in a burst of speed was already rushing towards them and pounced. Ben's battle hardened instict ticked and he took his left hand out of his pocket and performed a flip out of the way using his left hand to land.

The Alpha male charged them, and Doriane reacted quickly, using his knees to make his horse side step. The animal let out a frightened whinny as it side stepped the first pounce, which left the ground shaking, but the wolf was too fast and enraged to avoid its second twisting leap. It tackled Doriane to the ground along with his palomino as it screamed in terror and pain. The beasts claws ripped at it's flanked until its fangs sank into his steeds neck, sending blood everywhere. As the poor animal flailed, it kicked the animal away and Doriane, though pinned under his dying horse, pointed his short sword upward when it leapt again. The wolf landed directly on the sword point, impaling itself. With vicious growl it died, collapsing right on top of him too. Now, he had a dead horse and a dead wolf the same size sitting on top of him with the cleric roaming around looking amused.

"Well this will be too heavy for me to actually try and get off of you and I've already used a lot of magic to kill these guys quickly" Ben said noting how large the pack was. the Thunder Seal in his hands glowed blue with a quick series of flicks the wolf disintegrated as swell as the horse leaving Doriane with half of the corpse still tied to his body. "Huff.....huff..."Ben panted feeling himself only having the tiniest amount of his large stamina left "Come..... on let's..... get to the next town" Ben said grabbing Doriane before whistling to call his horse. the chestnut mare avoided the whole fight and hid and was now returning to her masters side. "Let's go i bet these won't be.....the last of these horned wolves." with that Ben sat on his horse gave out his hand.

Last edited:
This cleric used magic like it was nothing, and Doriane couldn't decide if that was because he lacked physical skills like most clerics or just preferred to waste his energy. Still, he was grateful when both animals bodies lifted off of him and he could breath. "Uhg.." he panted, "Damned wolves." He had trained that horse himself and now he was mount-less.

Clambering to his feet covered in mud and stiff from having been stuck under the beasts, he let out a tired puff, then wiped off his short sword as the cleric called for his horse. The animal came trotting up from the grasses, by some miracle not having been caught by the hunting wolves, and he watched as the man climbed aboard before offering his hand. Doriane looked at the hand, and then the man's face. He'd prefer to walk, but in armor and with the possibility of more wolves it would be a waste of his own energy to do that. With a sigh, the young lord took the Cleric's hand and stuck his foot into the stirrup to haul himself aboard.

It was awkward riding behind a man, and he had no idea where to put his hands, so he settled for grabbing the rim of the saddle on either side. So much for his grand entrance into town.

Lady entered the small grotto that served as the town temple. She didn't believe in the Forge so much as to make it a religion, but held a deep respect for it and what it stood for. The town cleric asked for her name to which she gave it along with papers she had painstakingly forged with the symbol of the flying fox seal. Nobody would be the wiser because no one kept track of the minor houses until it became important. "Lady Frasier, first daughter of the Minor Guardian House Fraiser." The papers and her announcement seemed more than enough, and he showed her to a small room with a cot and candle. "Thank you, for your kindness, Sir."

Letting him think she was in for the evening, Lady waited awhile then used the spell to turn herself invisible before slipping out into the dirt promenade the little village used for the main square. She was looking for any evidence of the lost relics and the best place to do that was to start with the merchants. Some places were closed for the night, and others were just now shuttering their doors. Releasing the spell, she found one of them just now shutting up his shop. An older man with a scruffy beard. "Sir, I have a question."

He jumped in fright and wheeled around on her with wide eyes. She was a lady no doubt and he'd had enough of nobles for a the week. "I not open. Please go. I have nothin' t' do with anything."

Raising a brow at the man's response, Lady held up her hand gently and shook her head. "I'm not here for trouble, I just had a question, Sir."

The man sputtered nervously, backed against the wall. "Ask an' go! Please."

Lady pulled a paper from her pocket depicting one of the stolen relics as she had researched. "Have you seen one of these?"

The man looked nearly terrified and shook his head too quickly, but a pointed look from the woman turned it into a slow nod. "Aye, a few first borns come through carrying them. Destroy the shops and take what they want. I have nothing to do with it I swear."

Hearing this made anger swell up in the noblewoman eyes. This was not what guardians were meant for. The poor shop keeper flinched when she pulled a coin from her purse and handed it to him. "For the repair of your shop, and if you know which way they went." He took the coin and pointed eastward. "They say to the Faire Forest, an' then t' Carenium, two days ago." Nodding, Lady turned on her heels and started marching away, a storm brewing behind her blue green eyes. She was ahead of her brother, but behind the culprits. She would be hard pressed to make it to the Faire forest in time to catch them, but her horse would be fine if she used some stamina of her own to increase its speed and endurance. As she walked away, the old man called after her. "Thank you...ah...what's your name?"

The noblewoman glanced back, and gave him a little smile. "It's just Lady."

Ben rode on his chestnut mare as they arrived town as Doriane rode on his back he felt they'd need to get another horse soon feeling how uncomfortable the lordling must be feeling he had already gotten some of his energy back during the ride but he was still below half of his usual strength it seemed he would half to refrain from using the Thunder Seal's power for now. stopping near the stables of the town he pulled out a moderate pieces of copper and gave them to the stable boy as he made sure his mare got her oats for surviving the whole ordeal. Motioning for the lording to go into the tavern he ordered 1 room with 2 beds and took his stuff upstairs.

'I wonder what your doing right now Lady' Ben thought as he reminiscent his 'friend' 'I can't travel like this anymore' Ben looked over the lordling himself resting his leg that was crushed when the weight of the horse fell on him. With a nod to himself ben spoke "So..." Ben began "Doriane right? I really don't like you.... well then again I don't like nobility in general but that's besides the point, we need to get you to that forge so you can become a guardian and your good I'll admit you can become a guardian but your way treating commoners beneath you makes me sick...You should know that being a guardian is to be able to sacrifice yourself to protect the people yet why are you looking down on them?" Ben asked. staring directly in Doriane's eyes the dirt-brown eyes that were usually so carefree and unfocused was staring into him. gleam of light could be seen emanating from Ben's left pocket pulsing slightly.

Doriane could feel his leg aching some from having been rolled under his horse and the wolf. This trip had been somewhat of a pain already and he would have much preferred Mikael over the cleric he was sent with. The other man was quieter, more efficient and higher ranked.

Once they were settled into a quaint room in the quiet village, Doriane started unfastening his armor, first his thick gloves, then his breastplate, vambraces and grieves. Each piece had been specially made for him, and engrained with a few energy stores in the metal, right over the three horned boar seal. The crest of his family Pretaea, Major Guardian house.

As he sighed a little as he propped his foot up on the stool in front of him. In a few hours the leg would be fine. If he got some rest. At the rate the cleric was fussing, it didn't seem likely. He ignored, everything up till "...why are you looking down on them?" The guy was giving him an intense stare and Doriane had no idea why.

"I'm not sure what you mean," he shrugged, "I don't really look down at any one. Except for maybe down the tavern girls top."

Lady returned to her room and ate a small meal of rabbit stew. It was fresh which was good, because she would need the energy. Her day would start far earlier than the markets would. She uncoiled her braid from around her head and then let loose the plait, setting a long, honey colored water fall down her back. By now, her father would notice her absence and riders would be out looking for her. They would find brigands and bandits, but no sign of her. She had been careful and planned for 2 years. There was no going back.

Ben held up the glowing object which looked to be a small stone slab a small crystal cross was glowing in the middle of it. Blue thorn vines began to crawl out from the stone as it began to crawl over Doriane's body seasing his mind as various memories began playing in his head.

"Answer, The question." Ben demanded as the thron vines proceedes to tigthen and wriggle into his mind invadig memories.

'This was a test for the trial but i guess i can do it here" Ben though as he felt his stamina being drained by probing Doriannes memories.

Doriane's eyes grew wide at Ben as the relic began its work, ensnaring him in prickling thorns. This cleric was out of line and control! Indignation and rage flared, but the effect on his mind was an invading one, and if resisted a ripping one. Instead of fighting, he let the vines take root.

She was sitting in front of him looking stern, and he felt a spot of shame. "No, Doriane that is not the 15 major Guardian Houses," she scolded, "Recite it again."

A little giggle sounded beside him, immediately making the moment worse. "Shut up, Alaina," he hissed, before doing as his mother asked. Images of all the major houses flashed through his mind as he said them aloud, including his own house, Pretaea and it's insignia the 3 horned bull.

"Better, Doriane. Now, Alaina, tell me how they became the 15 great houses?"

Her little voice echoed through his head. "Once upon a time, there was a big war. All the people and creatures of Otherworld hated each other and were mean. To make things better, 15 mages gave up their lives and made the Soul Forge and asked their first children to keep Otherworld safe. So, they-"

Annoyance flared and Doriane spoke up. "So they faced the trials of the Forge, and each got a weapon made from what was found inside them. Using the power from their souls, they brought balance back to Otherworld. When a Guardian died before having children they would get together and pick a first born cousin or other family, making the Minor houses. The end."

His mother's blue-green eyes flicked to him in displeasure rather than pride for having completed the story. "Don't interrupt."

"But mine was better!"

An argument ensued but faded away as another memory swirled in his subconscious. Phantom pain radiated from his ribs and he grimaced as his mother walked into the room. She knelt beside him, her face framed by golden curls. At the sight of her, the boy burst into tears. "Shhh," she whispered, as she wrapped him up in her arms, "Its only the first day of training. It will get better, love. You are strong." He bawled as she rocked him until he fell asleep.

The thrill of his first victory tasted over his tongue and the proud look in his mother's eye made it even better. He would be a good, guardian, the best guardian. There was nothing he wanted more as the crowd cheered.

Finally, anger flashed over the pain and Doriane grit his teeth. A cup shattered against the stone wall next to his father's head, but the man didnt flinch, so he drew his sword instead. "What do you mean, not ready? I'm just as good as the first born making their pilgrimage now. I am a Guardian of the major house Pretaea! If mother were here-"

" And I am head of that house, even without the title of Guardian and if your mother was alive, she would agree with me," his father snapped, "Now, you will wait another year and hopefully learn some respect!"

The memory faded and Doriane struggled against the vines, until he used his stores energy to break them, leaving a splitting headache in their wake. As the face of the cleric swam into view, the lordlings expression went from slack to murderous. "Get. Out." The man had 10 seconds to exit.

Last edited:
Propping up his sword Ben knew it was best to let his mind rest. he slowly sat down the stairs as he processed the information. "Well inferiority complex or pride i don't know which but he loved his mom alot" Ben mused some more as he ordered a drink to be sent to the room while he went outside.

Climbing up the roof of the Inn he looked to the moon. "I wonder what Lady has been doing all this time" He mused as the wind blew in his hair suddenly the smell of burning smoke began to emit from the edge of town and screaming began to heard as men wearing ragged leather armor and wielding crude swords and lumber axes started attacking the town.

Getting down the roof Ben quickly rushed to the room to get his sword, Doriane was there still stirring his head "Bandit's quick!" He said before quickly running down the stairs and rushing out the Inn the other men were already out armed with farming equipment.

Back