SOUL FORGE (CLOSED)

Hazel felt a pang of sympathy as the poor creatures reached out to her. This was ridiculous. They needed help and she was going to give it to them. Right, first heroic act of the day. She gazed into the black depths her heart was pounding.
"Right, I'm going in." She took off her boots and her socks and re-adjustef her pony tail. She took a deep breath and silently prayed to whatever dieties in this world that she wouldn't become something's breakfast. Then she stepped over the ledge and plunged feet first into the pool.

The lioness gave the Alex a light, pitchy growling sound. She was chuckling.

"All fair deductions," she replied, " Not everything is as it appears, Perhaps you have learned, that from you first night here."

Still chuckling, the Lioness sashayed away and returned to her lazing.

Last edited:
Alex was about to ask how on earth the lioness knew about the Baku, when the sound of someone plunging into the water reached her. She looked in the direction of the water and saw only Eryth standing there now. "Don't tell me-" She stepped closer to the edge of the pool so she could look into the water. "Hazel jumped in... wonderful," she mumbled.

Eryth stood, backing off from the water as Hazel stripped down. "If you're sure."
"You want a hand with them?" Eryth offered, stepping closer to the water and squatting down again.
Hazel nodded; shivering a little. "Yeah, thanks. Be warned, this water is freezing." She looked over to the creatures on the pedestals. "Hang on! We're coming!"
Eryth started stripping down, starting with his shirt before moving to his boots, socks, and pants. He sat on the edge of the ledge, shivering as his legs dipped into the black water, before slipping in after Hazel. Emee bounded free and upon seeing the lioness scrambled back up Eryth's bare legs and to his shoulder, clinging tightly and shivering.

"Alright, here we go." Hazel slowly began wading towards the pedestals"

“I honestly think both of you are insane,” Alex said. Then, she started taking off her own boots because she was probably insane as well. Besides, she didn’t see any other option, aside from the door. She threw a dirty look at the lioness, who was now merely observing, for good measure. She stripped down to her underwear and let herself slide into the water carefully. First her right toes, which informed how cold the water was. After she left a soft curse about that escape her lips she let her entire leg disappear into the water, followed by her other leg, followed by the rest of her. She made her way to Eryth and Hazel carefully.

The further the three went into the water, the higher it became until the bottom of the pool dropped away completely. The obsidian pedestals stood 20 meters away as the inky waters lapped around them. As Eryth's feet left the bottom, something hard brushed the bottom of his foot.

Eryth flailed his arms around, jumping from the bottom of the pool as he tried to lift his entire body out of the water at the same time, a short scream of "Fu-" coming from his lips as he tipped back, bouncing away from the spot in the floor.

Alex whirled around towards Eryth, startled by his jumping around. "What's wrong?" she asked.
The house sprite squealed in fear and scrabbled over Eryth's head terrified to be dunked into the water. Emee played out and clutching the back of his head, little claws digging into his ears and neck. "Ery!"

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Claws!" Eryth steadied himself, holding the fuzzball on his head. "Something touched my foot."

The house sprite shook under Eryth's hands and he could feel the little animals heart beat pattering like a scared bunny. "Ery!" Then suddenly both Emee and Eryth disappeared from view.

Alex stopped in her tracks as she saw Eryth disappear underwater. “FU-“ She scrambled backwards, away from the area where Hazel and Eryth were when she realized something. Coraxe. She forgot about Coraxe. “Dammit, Knife!” Water splashed around her as she turned around made her way back to edge where she had left Coraxe in its sheath with her clothes.

She made it to the edge of the water but slammed against something unseen but very much solid. The invisible object blocked her from climbing to the ledge where the lioness laid, her tail flicking as she watched them all carefully.

Alex took one look at the lioness and a frustrated sigh escaped. She really didn’t want to give her the satisfaction of saying more cryptic stuff, but… “Why?” she asked in a defeated tone.

""Because you 'didn't just walk down those painfully long steps just to be scared away by the word 'danger'," if I recall," the lioness said evenly, " However, I have no power over the barrier, anyways. None at all."

Alex raised an eyebrow, and despite her troubles she felt a sheepish grin tugging at the corner of her mouth. “I did say that, didn’t I? Though to be fair, I had a dagger strapped on my belt at the time… And now I’m standing in my underwear in the Death Pond.” Her expression turned serious again as she turned around. “Right, no Coraxe,” she mumbled. Without looking back at the lioness, she started making her way back to the others.

Last edited:
MEANWHILE IN THE PANEL ROOM:

"Yeah. Your welcome. What about you?" James said.

Lady took another sip of the cool drink, closing her eyes for a moment to enjoy the sweet taste. She never understood how James managed to make things that tasted more delicious than even the Olympian clans did with their ambrosia.
Placing the empty cup beside her, she looked to James, thinking of his story with his sister. “I have very few stories like that with my brother. I wish we had more of a relationship with each other, like you and your sister, but we were never close. The two of us were far too different to get along amicably and it was evident…even in the end...however…”

She rose from her seat and paced back and forth as she recalled that day. “There was one day, almost like your day. It was summer. Doriane was maybe 10 seasons and I was 9 or so. He had started his training to become a guardian with the Master at Arms and he couldn’t stand the constant practicing. One day he stole away to the river instead of reporting to his Master and I found him. He was boots off, pants rolled up, catching bugs in the water. Instead of ratting him out, I jumped in with him. Dress and all. We had water wars, chased each other with all manner of crawly bugs. We laughed hysterically when a serpent crawled up his pant leg…after he was done screaming and flailing around of course. When we grew tired in the afternoon, we sat on the edge of the river bank listened to the fireflies whisper. That was one of the days I’ll remember most with my brother. No quarreling between us.”

You know, I have never seen a firefly... Always wanted a swarm in a jar though." He sketched for a lot longer on this one. Another two part where the left included the two playing with bugs, and the right included them by the bank looking up at the stars with little dots for fireflies. "I am going to make one for every story, including the ones I have already written back home." He said, turning the book and showing her.

Lady stopped her pacing and reached out to the note book. A wistful sort of smile came to her lips as she looked over the sketch. "You have a gift for capturing moments," she said sincerely before pausing for a moment, " May I make a request?"

He turned to a new set of pages and flipped the book over, reading his quill. "Be my guest."

"Will you make one with you and I? Not in battle. Just something small?"

He smiled and said "I know the perfect thing." He started to sketch a time when he was wounded and lady was tending to him, James sitting on a log and tending to a fire with his uninjured arm while lady was adding things to a bowl of soup.

Lady kept pacing as she listened to the scratching of his quill over the note pad. He had perfectly good human-world writing utensils in his room, yet he had continued to use the quill. She had to admit the fresh ink added a character that his human 'pens' did not though. Occasionally, she would glance over as he focused on the paper, and after awhile she recognize the scene.

"I remember that day," she chuckled, "You did not care for my cooking in the slightest."

He laughed lightly "Yeah well you still need to work on it. I could give you lessons if you want?" James covertly looked over at Lady for any signs of anything.

Lady kept her steps going but her smile grew into a wry grin. "I fear I am not very gifted when it comes to domestics. You may be taking on a lost cause with that offer."

"If I can teach a kid with a prosthetic arm to fence, I can teach a medieval swordsman to cook."

"Swordswoman, I am a Lady after all, " she corrected, jokingly, " If you are so confident, then I accept. It will be an interesting proposition and I look forward to seeing if you have bitten off more than you can chew."

Lady paused and stood in front of James, with her scarred hand held out to seal the deal.

James stopped sketching and shook her hand with his metal one. "Bite off more then I can chew? Why I never!" He said, mock offended. "Moi? Bite off? In your wildest dreams." He smiled and returned to his book.

She laughed at his silliness as he let go of her hand and began her walking again. Every now and then her blue-green eyes would glance at the page he was working on, until Victor appeared at the door, tapping on it with his crutch.

Her eyes flicked up immediately and her smile faded a little as she saw his face full of dutiful concern. "Something is moving along the perimeter of the island M'lady and Sir."

"Any visual, victor?" He set down his sketchbook and grabbed Lumil.

"None so far," the soldier replied, "The wisps have run to the farther side of the island though, which means...."

"Demons, dead, or Shadows," Lady said, firmly, "They have only just entered the Forge. Victor, please stay here. if this takes too much time, Eryth, Hazel and Alex will emerge to find themselves alone. Stay here so that does not happen if we are gone too long. "

"Yes, M'lady I will stay."

Lady turned to James and offered him a hand, "To battle again, my friend?"

"Actually.. I think I'll stay floating" he moved down the corridor at a fast pace, heading up to the surface.

Lady strode beside him as Victor took up a clacking pace behind them both. "Which side of the island, Victor?"

"North, M'lady, near the beaches."

"Damn," she muttered, "James, will you take your raven and look from above? I'll meet you at the beaches."

"Understood. See you on the front lines."

Last edited:
When Eryth disappeared, a string of very unpleasant explicitives issued forth from Hazel's lips. She stumbled backwards; away from where she and Eyrth where standing and stood next to Alex.
"Oh, crap. Oh crap oh crap oh crap." Her heart was racing a mile a minute. She brushed a shaking hand through her hair.
"Eyrth!" She screamed, "Eyrth!'

Eryth looked behind himself, not sure why Hazel was shouting his name in such a panic. "What? I don't see anything?!"

He turned around again, wading a few steps closer to Alex and Hazel. "What's wrong?"

Alex had barely made it back to Hazel when she stopped in her tracks. She knew how water moved... and the way it just moved was not natural. She stood as still as she could, staring at the strange ripples. "Hazel," she said with a lowered voice, "You wouldn't happen to know anything about mythical killer fish or anything like that, would you?"

"Mythical killer...?" Eryth looked behind him, realising what they were talking about finally. "Emee! Make see please."

Emee clutched at Eryth's head even tighter, burying his whiskered nose into the man's hair. "Scared..." he said back in a muffled squeal.

"Ooh." Eryth put his hand up, holding the scared housepet and bringing him down to cradle in his arms. "It's fine, it was probably nothing."

Emee was shaking, his head buried in the crook of Eryth's arm for a moment, before relenting and making them visible.

Last edited:
When Eyrth reappeared again two things went through Hazel's mind. The first was relief. Eyrth was okay and he hadn't been eaten by anything. The second was irritation.
"Emme you scared us!" Hazel said sternly. But she couldn't remain angry for long. One look at the quivering little fuzzball in Eyrth's arms and all hostile feelings dissapated. "It's okay," she said in a softer tone. "Nothing's going to hurt us." Yet.

The wretched creatures on the pedestal began to cry out as they saw their three rescuers coming out. While they reached out to them, moaning in pain they seemed to gave waving. Waving them away? Warning them? None could speak other than the pitiful sounds of pain.

Emee continued to shiver, buried in Eryth's arm, until he gave out a frightened squeal. "Scare things! Ery!"
A that moment, something slithered its way around Hazel's ankle, gripping it like a vice with hundreds of sharp, pin-prick needles. They sank in to her leg and then pulled down, sucking under the inky waters

Hazel screamed with terror when she went under. Frantically, she tried to hit whatever had a hold on her ankles. Panic clutched her chest. It was all she could do from keeping herself from blacking out.

"Hazel!" Eryth screamed, holding onto Emee with one hand as he used the other to help him wade through the water as fast as possible. He tried to reach out and grab her to pull her out of the inky black pool.

Alex cursed wholeheartedly as Hazel disappeared. She frantically tried to find a better vantage point and stared into the water, hoping to catch a glimpse of Hazel or whatever had taken her. It couldn't stay underwater forever. Or at least, Hazel couldn't. Alex felt a stab of fear rush through her at the thought.

Eryth's hands slid over Hazel's shoulder, trying to grasp her with no success. The water rippled from where she had been standing, but no sign of her could be seen. Emee cowered in his hiding spot and the lioness watched with her sharp, yellow eyes and tail flicking lazily.

"What will you do now?" She mused.

The object wrapped around her leg lead her down further and further into the depths of the pool. It was far deeper than anyone could possibly believe and black as night until a small pinprick of green light emerged. It grew larger until the area was illuminated enough to see that the slithering thing dragging her down was a wiry black tentacle. More tentacles appeared at her side but none latched on, merely floating beside her in the currents.

Soon, the source of the tentacle was visible a serpentine creature roughly 15 ft.long with green, slick skin. Its orange eyes bulged from either side of its head accompanied by rows of needle like teeth. More thin tentacles spread from rows on its body.
"Breaaathe, ssssilly humaan."

"Shit! Hazel!" Eryth fished around wildly in the water, looking for Hazel's body and taking random steps. "Fuck! Where is she?! Alex, help!"

Eryth calling her name startled Alex out of her trance. She had gotten lost staring at the water, not finding a trace of Hazel or the thing that took her. She clenched her fists and aimed a glare at the lioness. "What the hell is down there?!" she yelled, so she could be heard at the other side of the pool.

" I do not know. Behind the barrier, I cannot go. However, the choices are clear," the Lioness said, "Save your friend and fail your mission or continue with the task at hand. The decision I leave to you." Then she went back to licking her paw with her sharp claws extended

The moaning creatures on the pedestal called out Alex and Eryth, begging...pleading for help. Their pitiful calls filled the room, echoing off the stone walls.
Emee shivered in Eryth's arms. "Hasel?'

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck...." Eryth kept searching the darkness, not yet having given up hope on finding Hazel. His heart was racing in his chest, even worse than his first vehicle fire rescue job.

Helpless, on the side of the winding mountain road with his driver. A burning car at the bottom, firetruck still on the way. He jumped, scrambling down the side of the steep cliff towards the burning wreck without a plan. The other screamed his name, but he was dedicated. There was somebody inside still, somebody shouting for help as the flames spread.

"HAZEL!" Eryth screamed at the top of his lungs, tears gathering in his eyes as he kept thrashing around in the water, looking for anything.

He couldn't save them.

"HAZEL!"

"Damn it!" Alex didn't even glance back at the creatures they were supposed to save. She still believed she wasn't in the position to judge anyone as 'unworthy' of savior, but if she was asked to judge now she would say Hazel was much worthier than any of those damned creatures.
She didn't have any idea how she and Eryth were supposed to save her, but aimlessly thrashing around the water wasn't going to do the job.

Ignoring her own shaking limbs, Alex quickly made her way to Eryth and squeezed his shoulder. "Eryth, snap out of it! You heard the cryptid, we can save her, but panicking is gonna get us killed!"

Hazel struggled not to do as the voice said, but her chest was burning. Every second was making it harder to breath. Finally, she couldn't take it any longer. She opened her mouth and inhaled.

Back