Soul Survivors Chapter 1

Saiko

AMerePoet
Chapter 1 Survival Game
I wake up in a desolate, dark room. An empty chill fills the room, causing me to slightly shudder. Only the bed I was lying on and a desk was in its wake. My head is aching, causing me to grab it and groan slightly. My heart pounds heavily against my chest, as it quickly rises and lowers. Sudden thoughts slowly creep in my mind. Where am I? Who am I? Who are my friends, or even my family? I start to panic, as I can’t think of answers to these questions or explanations to my memory loss.
I start to theorize multiple ideas about my identity. Perhaps I’m a prisoner in some sort of jail, or maybe I’m a patient in a mental asylum. I get up onto my feet, and examine the room. I don’t find anything except a slip of paper that lay on the desk. “Aiden Cunningham, age 17” it reads. I guess that’s who I am.
For some time, I ponder my earlier questions, until, with a sudden clink, the door opens, revealing a gigantic room. It is covered in a blinding white, the walls most likely made of iron. Pillars of a type of smooth quartz hold the roof. Other people can be seen entering the room, some amazed at its beauty, some with dumbstruck and panicked looks on their faces. Then, it hits me. I’m not the only one here!
As I wander this place, a little dumbstruck myself at the fact there are others, I accidentally bump into somebody, causing me to fall to the ground. “I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention and I...”
I stop and gape as I look up. In front of me stands the most beautiful person I will probably ever see. A girl with straight hair that falls down to the middle of her back. It's as white as fresh snow falling from the skies above. Her eyes gleam of gentle kindness. Yet, a feeling of pure insanity lingers within. They are the color of a thorny rose.
The girl offers her hand to me, and I take it, letting her pull me up. “I apologize for the fright. Please, what is your name?” Her voice is passionate and gentle, filling me with an indescribable warmth. I gaze at her, her beauty captivating my mind, trapping my head in the clouds, until I shake it, snapping myself back into reality, away from the fantasy world.
“M-my name is Aiden. What’s your name?” “Saiko. The pleasure.” She shakes my hand while directly looking into my own eyes, her gaze almost hypnotizing myself once more.
I take a second to look at my surroundings. More people continue to fill the room. There has got to be at least twenty of us. Mutters of curiosity, sorrow, and anger can be heard. I then look back at Saiko.
“Do you know where we are?” She shakes her head. Her smile seems to falter. “I have no clue. The stranger thing is, I remember nothing.” So nobody had their memory as far as I could tell.
Another clunk can be heard, and the ceiling looks like it opens up slowly. When it opens up completely, the noise of rotors can be heard. A shadow starts descending from the sky. Then it becomes clear. A helicopter can be seen landing slowly, the propellers creating a wind that makes everyone's hair fly back. Eventually, when an inch off the ground, it stops, and a man can be seen inside.
“Hellllooooo contestants!” yelled the stranger in an excited, gameshow like voice. The man in particular has the hairstyle of the 1950’s, sort of like Elvis except it was blonde, like the petals of a newborn sunflower. He wears a white tuxedo in the style of a party host. "And welcome to the newest, yet most popular game, “Dark Survival''. The way he spoke was carefree, enthusiastic, and overjoyed. Everybody was silent with surprise.
“Now, you're all probably all wondering, ‘What is this glamorous glamorous game?’ You see, it is a game of strength,intelligence, and will. Soon we will fly to a distant island. Each of you will be dropped off at a location on the island. Once dropped off, you will have one month to find a relic, in which only five are on the island, but only three may leave alive. Meanwhile, you have to survive the conditions and challenges the island presents.”
He finally pauses to take a breath. “Any questions?” A man with spiked hair, the color of orange like the outside of a ball of fire. “Yes. Why the hell are we even here!? I know I didn’t sign up for this.”
The host lets out a deep sigh, his smile fading away. “My my, such attitude. Such an insolent, vulgar brat like yourself will not survive for long.” The man with orange hair attempts to come up with an argument, but the host continues, not giving anybody the chance to speak up.
“To answer your interesting question, you are all here because you have done a terrible terrible evil in your life. So you have to prove yourself in this challenging test, or pay for your actions. Nobody is above the consequences.”
“What did we do then? I did nothing bad. Let us go home meanie!” This time, a small redheaded boy spoke. With small worn down overalls on, he doesn’t look older than twelve.
The host just shakes his head. “My, is everybody this aggressive? Just doesn’t end, does it.” He starts to look agitated, but tries his best to recover his smile and then clears his throat after a long pause. “You all have to find out the wrong for yourselves, because as you know, I wiped out your memories. It makes the game more fun and challenging.”
Then, a girl with pink hair, which is in pigtails, raises her hand. “Um, Mr. host sir, this game looks fun and all, but do we get anything out of this?” She asked this in a curious, yet kind tone, but it’s obvious she was doing this so the host doesn’t stay mad, as she struggled to keep this up.
Yet, he didn’t seem to notice. His elegant smile appears full again. “Finally, respect. Yes, my sweet sweet butterfly. You get to keep your life. And along with that, you get one billion dollars.”
The guy with orange hair interrupts. “One billion! Now you’ve got me interested. I’m going to be rich!” The host chuckles. “Cockiness will lead you to trouble. Now, anymore questions? No? Then all aboard.” The mass of people step up onto the helicopter. Some, however, stay behind. An evil smile spreads across the host’s face. He takes out a switch and presses a button. “I said...all...aboard.”
Parts of the walls slide off, and small objects can be seen with a timer of thirty seconds attached to the holes. Bombs! The rest panic and run onto the helicopter, as it flies away with haste. When it flies through the roof, some gasp at the
scenery, while others still complain about the bombs.
“Are you mad!” yells orange hair, furious.
The sun can be seen rising as a tinge of orange starts to fade. Mountains can be seen far away in the distance as we fly over the ocean. As we fly, the building we left can be seen. From the outside, it looks like a colosseum. Suddenly, the beautiful piece of architecture turns into a beautiful and humongous explosion. And with that, the games shortly begin.

If you have any suggestions or ideas of how to improve on my story-writing skills, please run them by me. I'm not picky with new ideas.

Back