Question Support Via Patreon?

I saw that you have donations set up on the website to help pay for server costs and such.

I'm rather wary of PayPal, after some experiences with setting up an account for someone else and hearing stories of people's accounts being frozen and never being able to receive the money that was in their account.

Have you considered setting up a Patreon for the site? I'm currently dealing with my own server-payment problems, but I would definitely donate through Patreon once my finances get a little more stable (i.e. once I don't have a net loss each month).

-------------------------------

If you're curious what I mean about the experiences setting up an account, it's a combination of them enforcing password-like rules on usernames and having a low upper limit on password length. The username thing is weird and makes me think they have some weird quirk in their backend services that that works around, and the password length makes me worry that passwords aren't being dealt with securely.

Passwords should be salted and hashed in memory before storage, so they can be validated without storing the password itself. The consequence of salting and hashing is that the string stored in the database is the same length, regardless of how long the password was. The only limitations that should come up is not allowing an entire book to be someone's password, and I think the bcrypt hashing algorithm (industry standard for a while now) has a character limit of 72 characters or something. So limiting passwords to ~16 characters instantly raises red flags for me.

Huh. Yeah, Patreon is definitely a good idea. PayPal was just choosen because of it's ubiquity, certainly not because of any particular merit in of itself. I'll get Patreon added as a choice soon.

Back