Sylvania Chronicles

Austen saw Adi nod towards the man. He was obviously not posing a threat so approaching couldn't hurt. Austen walked towards the man with Adi behind him still ready to attack if needed. As they approached it was obvious he was from Enderus. More specifically he was a half-breed. The man was around 7 ft tall, he had the black eyes and yellow irises, and silver hair.

"Hail to you sir! I am Austen Tyranus Riis, it is a pleasure," Austen said to the man as he approached more. The man then knelt before him.

"I apologize immensely my lord. I was unaware that a Riis was out traveling this way. If I had known I would have kept my distance." The man said this hastily, his voice sounding of obvious terror. Alistair approached the man slowly from behind sword at the ready.

"Shade, Ser Alistair, sheathe your weapons. This man is a citizen of Enderus, and a hunter for the town I take it. By default he is loyal to House Riis and poses no threat." Austen put his hand on the man's shoulder, "You may rise we could actually use some information about what has been going on around here lately. Would you like to join us at the camp?" The man slowly rose, then nodded, "Yes my lord, I would be honored." Austen then led the man to the camp and took a seat around the fire.

Adi was throwing daggers at Austen from across the fire. What part of secret mission did he not understand? Inviting a hunter into their camp.

Adi was tense, she was watching the peripherals as best she could. Hunters rarely go out alone. She was counting all weapons she had hidden around the camp. 2 were within reach but they wouldn't do much given her position.

Austen blabbered away with the man about the town and his family. The hunter had been reverent when he realized who Austen was. It seemed rather unusual to Adi, but then again so did most things.

She was still trying to figure out why Austen was talking so weird. Like all of the sudden, he was better than them. Most scholars thought they were better than warriors, but Austen hadn't seemed that way the night they talked at the tavern. She should have known better, this was why she didn't like people. All they ever do is disappoint.

Austen sat by the fire with the hunter, Gorinth was his name. They talked about the state of his family, apparently his youngest sister had grown ill not too long ago and his other sister had been married off. His father on the other hand was apparently making strides in his grasp for power. He was still trying to gain enough influence for Enderus to be independent, however the Chancellors had rejected his proposal every time. Austen knew this was his mother's handiwork as she was the true brains behind his father's ideals and due to her being the wife of a lord she could only get so far, so she used him for her power grasps. The town as a whole was surviving. A restoration project for the city had been enacted by his father as well as an expansion in trade. The restoration project seemed to be so that Enderus could keep its ancient architecture but appear as a city to rival the capital. The expansion in trade has benefited the city greatly as Lioxes has been cut out of the trade route, eliminating the hefty tax, and goods were going directly to Argot or the Raelian Empire.

As Austen talked with Gorinth, he could see Adi staring intensely at him. She probably was not too happy with him inviting a stranger into the camp or the sudden shift in the way he spoke to them. She probably failed to realize that having information on the city before entering, knowing its political stability, and any other unknown variable would benefit greatly. In relation to the shift in speech, he regrets it but a Riis moving with commoners is unheard of. He had to portray an aura of authority and power or else this man may have struck him down. The Riis family are known for commanding their respect and authority, even if Austen was the runt of them all. Hopefully he would have a chance to explain it to her before she got the wrong idea. Alistair seemed very nonchalant, maybe being a royal guard he did not care about how he was spoken too.

"Lord Riis, I am terribly sorry to cut this short but it is late and my fellow hunters are probably wondering where I am. I was supposed to report back a little while ago with my catch," Gorinth took off his knapsack to reveal it to be full of pheasants.

"However, my lord, I would be honored if you would take it as you seem to be needing it and the idea of a Riis eating the meat from my hunt brings me joy beyond measure."

Austen, obviously surprised, said, "Why thank you Gorinth, I am very grateful," Austen took the knapsack. "I wish you a safe travel and may we meet again in a more.. pleasant area."

With that Gorinth bowed then went on his way.

Adi watched as the giant faded into the darkness. She turned her sights towards Austen who was looking through the bag he had just been given.

"We need to pack up. He's going to tell the others where we are." Adi rolled up her bed mat. It was getting close to dawn anyways. Alistair grunted and starting packing up as well.

"Are you coming, your highness?" She let the last part draw making her disdain obvious.

"Woah hold on a minute there is no reason to leave," Austen said surprised. "They are loyal to Enderus and Riis they won't harm us."

Austen stared at Alistair as the man stopped and waited, "I understand you are upset with me, but you have to realize I was just trying to get information." Austen sighed, "I apologize for talking down to you, as I am a Riis we are not expected to travel with what would be considered commoners."

Austen took a step towards Adi, "I really am sorry but realize in this land I have to show authority or else we will be ignored. Besides I got us valuable information on the situation in the city plus food for a few days. What we don't eat we can sell at the market."

"You seem to want to keep our location a secret as well, I understand that, but there is no harm in interaction. We can gain valuable info and assess what is going on before going in blindly. Enderus is in a complicated situation where they are seeking independence if we had not known that and went in bargaining for help under the idea of working for Sylvania we would be shunned. Now I know how to appeal to their idea of independence and spin this so we will definitely get their aid," Austen took a deep breath. He hadn't realized he had been talking so fast or without breath.

Austen was ranting about how what he had done had been the right thing. It just showed how he had never been what he liked to call commoners. If he had he would know that getting supplies for their trip would not be that difficult. They already had weapons and camp supplies. Food was the only thing left that they really needed and it was easily obtained.

Austen had finally stopped talking. Adi spun on her heel and to face him. "You need to understand this sooner rather than later. We trust no one except each other. There are ways of getting information and supplies without giving away our position. You've put us all at risk. Now pack up your things. We are leaving."

Adi turned without another word and headed into the trees.

Austen yelled after Adi, "Trust each other!? We agreed to trust one another but you don't even trust me to handle this situation!"

Austen packed up his things and began to follow. How dare she. All he wanted to do was help and give them an advantage in a sensitive scenario. She even talked about giving away their position. They were already given away when he found the camp and acknowledged they were there. If he hadn't befriended Gorinth, or rather his loyalty, there would have been a fight. Austen knew they had never seen the ferocity of a giant firsthand, few ever did. Most never lived or were scarred beyond recognition.

It was a pointless debate for him anyways. He had set out on this journey to be his own man and become world weary. He had done this to make a name for himself but Adi apparently isn't going to let him do that. Figures one step forward, someone comes to block the path.

Adi ignored Austen as she continued towards the city. He could pout all he liked, she wasn't going to indulge him acting like a child. Coming here had been a mistake, Austen felt he had something to prove with his family and it was making him blind to better judgement. While sneaking into the city would be easy, Austen would insist that they don't need to and go barging in like an easy target. Adi was resigned to the fact that he would insist that go and visit with his family.

They continued in silence until they neared a farm. They were obviously getting closer to the city. Adi stopped just short of the tree line and turned to face the others. She gestured towards Austen. "Lead the way then."

Back