Illusion Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalya merely looked at the Orderly and sighed.

“Are they infected? I can remove the infection if you so desi- what on earth is happening?”

Natalya’s attention now focused on the newly-erupted shouting.

@Minerva

The pantomime was silent, but you can telll what it is. One of the figures lays on the ground, and three surround him. One pretends to cut into him, another crouches near its head, and the third stands looking off into the distance at the Polyhedron with its arms crossed. The one on the ground began to twitch as the one cutting moved its arm slowly. Finally it stopped. The other three collapsed to the ground as well.

The music continued playing from inside, as shouting erupted. One of the Orderlies came up behind you.

"The others have abandoned their posts." He spoke. "I'm one of the few orderlies left."

300px-Aspity.png

"There's a visitor at the door." The older woman said. She rubbed her hands together. "He wishes to speak to you, good doctor. Yes, there is a visitor at the door. There was a rat in the den. One that you couldn't catch. " She was known as Aspity, and she was a member of the Kin, a member of the Steppe's indigenous people. She herself was a strange "Foul Saturday, Cruel Saturday."

One of the other conscripts spoke up. he had a nervous laugh. He tried to lighten the air with some gallows, or rather, pit digging humor.

"A patient being wheeled through a hospital asks the nurse where they're going. Nurse says 'We're going to the morgue.' The patient responds with 'The morgue? But I haven't died yet!' to which the nurse answers, 'Of course, we haven't arrived yet.'" He says, making a dark joke. He continues digging, and several of the men nearby laugh.

A soldier steps over. "You're doing well. Just a few more feet." He says. "Then we'll need yet another one."​

A visitor? A rat? Damir turned his head to regard Aspity, an that was a mistake.

Her hands. She was rubbing them together. He wished he didn't have to see such an image, it made his own hands feel sticky and warm and clammy and disgusting.

His gaze lingered on her hands for only a second more before they flicked up to her face.

"Aspity, please do not..don't rub your hands like that." He muttered, frowning as he straightened his back.

@Lucky @Minerva

"Just wait right here, okay? I will be right back." Kazimir took a deep breath, regretting it right away. The air here was so pungent, every breath felt suffocating. He started up the steps of the theater, deciding to speak with the overseeing orderly. No way in Hell was this baarhani walking through a damn battlefield by herself.

@-Rose-Wood- @Minerva

Natalya merely looked at the Orderly and sighed.

“Are they infected? I can remove the infection if you so desi- what on earth is happening?”

Natalya’s attention now focused on the newly-erupted shouting.

@Minerva

"They merely abandoned their posts. Their work here was done. Those who remained are nothing but bootlickers, in my eyes." There was a gruff chuckle from underneath his mask.

The shouting was muffled, but you heard several words. "Military," "Has no Authority," and "Inquisition," through the door. It was an argument between a woman and a man, and it was clear that it was getting heated very quickly.

A visitor? A rat? Damir turned his head to regard Aspity, an that was a mistake.

Her hands. She was rubbing them together. He wished he didn't have to see such an image, it made his own hands feel sticky and warm and clammy and disgusting.

His gaze lingered on her hands for only a second more before they flicked up to her face.

"Aspity, please do not..don't rub your hands like that." He muttered, frowning as he straightened his back.

@Lucky @Minerva

"Clean. Things must be clean." Aspity said to Damir. She stopped rubbing her hands, however.

@Lucky

"Just wait right here, okay? I will be right back." Kazimir took a deep breath, regretting it right away. The air here was so pungent, every breath felt suffocating. He started up the steps of the theater, deciding to speak with the overseeing orderly. No way in Hell was this baarhani walking through a damn battlefield by herself.

@-Rose-Wood- @Minerva

unknown.png

The imposing birdlike figure looked down at The Haruspex, its eyes showing inhumanity, something else. "Ah, if it's payment you seek, go to the cathedral. The final decision will be made there." It paused in its slow speech, and tilted its head.. "Or is there something else you wanted?"

Another coughing fit could be heard from below before dying out.

Yuri gave the man a courtesy chuckle, the poor man was only trying to lighten the mood after all. You had to find something positive in all of this darkness...

The soldier coming by almost soured up his smile. "Another o-? Of course, of course. I'll hasten my speed." Perhaps if we worked faster and better than the others he could save them some of the torment at least. It didn't cross his mind to ask the soldier to grab a shovel to help either. Right now this was his burden, the soldiers no doubt had already had a lot on their platter.

@Minerva

One of the others digging struck up a conversation. "So, what did you all do before..." He gestured, "Well, this." He said, with a nervous chuckle. "I was a shopkeeper. Sold various sundries, medicine. Wish I had had that medicine when this shit hit the fan."

Another spoke up. "Worked in the warehouses, loading and unloading goods from trains. That kinda thing."

"They merely abandoned their posts. Their work here was done. Those who remained are nothing but bootlickers, in my eyes." There was a gruff chuckle from underneath his mask.

The shouting was muffled, but you heard several words. "Military," "Has no Authority," and "Inquisition," through the door. It was an argument between a woman and a man, and it was clear that it was getting heated very quickly.

"Clean. Things must be clean." Aspity said to Damir. She stopped rubbing her hands, however.

@Lucky

unknown.png

The imposing birdlike figure looked down at The Haruspex, its eyes showing inhumanity, something else. "Ah, if it's payment you seek, go to the cathedral. The final decision will be made there." It paused in its slow speech, and tilted its head.. "Or is there something else you wanted?"

One of the others digging struck up a conversation. "So, what did you all do before..." He gestured, "Well, this." He said, with a nervous chuckle. "I was a shopkeeper. Sold various sundries, medicine. Wish I had had that medicine when this shit hit the fan."

Another spoke up. "Worked in the warehouses, loading and unloading goods from trains. That kinda thing."

"Mm, yes they must." Damir hummed in agreement with a slight nod, before he tilted his head slightly.

"You mentioned a visitor at the door, and a rat, yes?" He asked, letting his hands fall to his sides. He wished to clean them, very badly. The visitor, the rat, were they one in the same? Someone who did not die from this sickness that came over their town like a thick noxious fog? Someone who sat in the filth and squalor and still lived in such dark and dreary times bright eyed and alive?

He wanted to go home and sleep, to clean the blood from his hands, to prepare bread for the night before he retired to his bed and let sleep bring happy dreams to him. Any dreams he had now would likely be stained red with blood.

@Minerva @Lucky

@Lucky

unknown.png

"I was...am a fisherman," Yuri replied as his shovel struck the ground. "I help around town too. I like helping people if they need anything. Like...like now." Even Yuri's face turned somber as he stopped digging and looked down into the grave he was digging. "So many familiar faces...and the disrespect..." He mumbled silently to himself before looking up with a friendly smile on his face. "I'm sure it will be possible for us to return to our normal lives eventually. The sun always rises after the night, right?"

@Minerva

"Before I was digging, I was digging..." Boris muttered, half to himself and half to the shop keeper. "And before that, I was digger. And before that, digging. And before that... well... you can probably guess..." He tossed another shovel full of dirt over his shoulder. "I was a grave digger. You'd think something like this-" He grunted in exertion and he stamped his shovel deeper into the mud. "-would have been good for business. It would have been... If you all weren't here-" Another grunt. "-Stealing my job."

@Jeremi

Kazimir felt so unnerved by the way the orderly looked down at him. Payment? How could anyone think of money at a time like this? "N-No," he said finally, shaking his head. "There was a mistake. A child...she's been brought in when she's not sick at all. Is there any way we can take her home before she gets infected?"

@Minerva @-Rose-Wood-

"Before I was digging, I was digging..." Boris muttered, half to himself and half to the shop keeper. "And before that, I was digger. And before that, digging. And before that... well... you can probably guess..." He tossed another shovel full of dirt over his shoulder. "I was a grave digger. You'd think something like this-" He grunted in exertion and he stamped his shovel deeper into the mud. "-would have been good for business. It would have been... If you all weren't here-" Another grunt. "-Stealing my job."

@Jeremi

That got a genuine laugh from Yuri as he dug his own grave. "Sorry to steal your business like this pal. Maybe when we're done I can offer you something stronger from the bar, as a way to say sorry?"

@Minerva @Sark

"There aren't supposed to be people in there... but whatever..."

Natalya walked over to the door before turning to the orderly.

"Stay there, bootlicker, I can deal with this,"

She then attempted to head inside.

@Minerva

I sat down, covering my mouth and nose with my dress. It was only a little better, she tried to think of something else. A memory popped almost immediately into her head, her brother and her in summer. Playing with each other, it had been before the eldest Ivan had left for college. He wanted just a day to relax, and had chosen a picnic as his goodbye "party". The day was warm with a cool breeze, the nicest weather I had ever felt. So beautiful.

@Minerva @Yun Lee

Last edited:
Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri really hated being looked at like he was a ghost, but he decided to ignore the fact that Damir was regarding as a spectre. It was a simple mistake that he can make, especially with his habit to sleep in a coffin like an already dead man.

" If you must continue to ask stupid questions, please at least address in a manner where I don't find them to be so irritable. I am going to answer the door and after that, I am going to gather my tools and work on the bloody girl you have in your arms," he replied, his voice emitting not a single emotion. It was hard to tell if he was actually irritated.

There were just so many people in this Podunk town that couldn't stand the thought of death and it drove him mad. Why was it so hard for everyone to see that things were not as picturesque as they thought? There was a moment before he would look around before Aspity spoke.

Why, oh why, did he have to work with such foolish people who felt that it was imperative to repeat the obvious. " And here I thought he came to talk to you- yes, I heard the door. I was going to answer it before both you and our bloody friend decided to interrupt my walk to answer it. Also, please stop speaking in allegories, it's annoying and not helpful to anyone here," he added before going back to answer the door.

As he looked over, he was about to regard the man to not look at her, but it was much too late.

He had not been paying attention to what the woman had been doing and he decided to not address it, unless she spoke or said something incredibly stupid. There was a shimmer of hope she wouldn't.

It seemed to last exactly one second before he would see the baker to tell her to stop. Well, at least someone had been polite about it.

At least the man had some common sense, even if he didn't exactly have a reason for his request. And just then, Aspity said the stupid thing.

Oh, if he was a lesser man, he would have slapped Aspity. " Yes, they must be. Rubbing your hands is only going to make things worse. Who knows how many bad things that you touched throughout the day?"

Dimitri would look over at the man and decided to make a simple request to the man. He doubted he could fuck it up.

" Perhaps then, you would like to wash your hands and that of the girl you are carrying in your arms. It would certainly make things much cleaner here for everyone. I don't know how either of you got blood on your hands and quite frankly, I don't care. But all of the blood is making my house a mess, so wash up and no, I'm not requesting. Wash your hands while I answer the door outside," he replied.

Having addressed both of them and having spent enough of his time wasting, he would go and answer the door, ignoring the cough that was coming on. Whoever needed the help would get it. That much was a tradition that he honored.

@Minerva @Takumi

That got a genuine laugh from Yuri as he dug his own grave. "Sorry to steal your business like this pal. Maybe when we're done I can offer you something stronger from the bar, as a way to say sorry?"

@Minerva @Sark
Boris pushed his shovel deep into the dirty once again and tossed another pile of dirt over his shoulder. There was no point in stopping now.

"There's no need to apologies. Hardly your fault." He muttered bluntly. "Can't blame the dead for dying."

Another fist full of dirt went flying over his shoulder.

@Jeremi

Boris pushed his shovel deep into the dirty once again and tossed another pile of dirt over his shoulder. There was no point in stopping now.

"There's no need to apologies. Hardly your fault." He muttered bluntly. "Can't blame the dead for dying."

@Jeremi

"No I suppose we can't," Yuri shrugged solemnly. "Let's just hope they find something so that more of us don't end up here. I'd feel bad if someone would have a dig a grave for me...I'm the one that's supposed to help after all."

@Minerva @Sark

Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri really hated being looked at like he was a ghost, but he decided to ignore the fact that Damir was regarding as a spectre. It was a simple mistake that he can make, especially with his habit to sleep in a coffin like an already dead man.

" If you must continue to ask stupid questions, please at least address in a manner where I don't find them to be so irritable. I am going to answer the door and after that, I am going to gather my tools and work on the bloody girl you have in your arms," he replied, his voice emitting not a single emotion. It was hard to tell if he was actually irritated.

There were just so many people in this Podunk town that couldn't stand the thought of death and it drove him mad. Why was it so hard for everyone to see that things were not as picturesque as they thought? There was a moment before he would look around before Aspity spoke.

Why, oh why, did he have to work with such foolish people who felt that it was imperative to repeat the obvious. " And here I thought he came to talk to you- yes, I heard the door. I was going to answer it before both you and our bloody friend decided to interrupt my walk to answer it. Also, please stop speaking in allegories, it's annoying and not helpful to anyone here," he added before going back to answer the door.

As he looked over, he was about to regard the man to not look at her, but it was much too late.

He had not been paying attention to what the woman had been doing and he decided to not address it, unless she spoke or said something incredibly stupid. There was a shimmer of hope she wouldn't.

It seemed to last exactly one second before he would see the baker to tell her to stop. Well, at least someone had been polite about it.

At least the man had some common sense, even if he didn't exactly have a reason for his request. And just then, Aspity said the stupid thing.

Oh, if he was a lesser man, he would have slapped Aspity. " Yes, they must be. Rubbing your hands is only going to make things worse. Who knows how many bad things that you touched throughout the day?"

Dimitri would look over at the man and decided to make a simple request to the man. He doubted he could fuck it up.

" Perhaps then, you would like to wash your hands and that of the girl you are carrying in your arms. It would certainly make things much cleaner here for everyone. I don't know how either of you got blood on your hands and quite frankly, I don't care. But all of the blood is making my house a mess, so wash up and no, I'm not requesting. Wash your hands while I answer the door outside," he replied.

Having addressed both of them and having spent enough of his time wasting, he would go and answer the door, ignoring the cough that was coming on. Whoever needed the help would get it. That much was a tradition that he honored.

@Minerva @Takumi

@Takumi

When he came downstairs, he would find two figures in front of the piano. A man and a woman, dressed similarly. They wore clean clothes, certainly cleaner than any that had been seen in the last few days. They had an attitude that Dimitri would recognize, one of sophistication and intellect.

1af1014a22869ee0f8e6dbd8c3065c8c.png

"Well, it looks like someone's late for an Appointment in Samarra." The woman said in her upper-class accent.

"Or, from one point of view, early for their next one." The man responded.

"Well, we wouldn't want to keep him from being late to that one, would we, brother?"

"Indeed we shan't."

And with that, the two figures walked into the next room, leaving the three alone, Aspity watching from the stairs. She quietly whispered something in the Steppe language, still too stunned from what Dimitri had said to speak up.

There was a knock at the door.

Kazimir felt so unnerved by the way the orderly looked down at him. Payment? How could anyone think of money at a time like this? "N-No," he said finally, shaking his head. "There was a mistake. A child...she's been brought in when she's not sick at all. Is there any way we can take her home before she gets infected?"

@Minerva @-Rose-Wood-

"A child? Doctor, perhaps you've been working too long. The only ones here are us and the deceased." The bird would tilt his head. "You should rest." Looking over the balcony would reveal an empty floor below. The stage light would flash on, pointing to the door just below you. The wind continued to echo through the building, and the wailing of the dying would echo throughout the hall.

@Jeremi
"No I suppose we can't," Yuri shrugged solemnly. "Let's just hope they find something so that more of us don't end up here. I'd feel bad if someone would have a dig a grave for me...I'm the one that's supposed to help after all."

@Minerva @Sark

"It happens. We know not the hour nor the day, eh?" The man said, quoting the Bible. "All we can do is take..." He dug into the ground and heaved. "Our lots in life and work from there." He wiped some sweat off of his brow. "You've been a big help. Certainly more than some others during this crisis." He said with a chortle. "Ya hear? Army's considering cutting its losses and bombing us to hell. After they've done nothing but shoot at us and close the trains. All a big joke."

"There aren't supposed to be people in there... but whatever..."

Natalya walked over to the door before turning to the orderly.

"Stay there, bootlicker, I can deal with this,"

She then attempted to head inside.

@Minerva
"Of course." The Orderly would reply.

The door would be unlocked. Inside, she would find the building was covered with white sheets covering various pieces of furniture. There was a large table set up where the altar usually stood. Two individuals stood at either end of it, facing each other, in a very still fashion. The music was still playing.​

What? But he...Kazimir blinked, looking out over the theater. No...there had been a child. He knew it. How...He sighed, long and tired, rubbing his eyes with his palms. Of course. He was tired. Sleep deprivation. That was all. No one but the dead. No one lived in this town, anymore. The only difference between himself and those on the tables was merely the fact that he could still breathe.

"I...I just...five minutes of air. That's all." Kazimir stumbled to the door as if drunk, but in truth he was painfully sober. Just a bit of time. Just a bit of time to breathe. He managed to keep his hand from shaking, and his eyesight from blurring, to get his hand on the knob, and turn.

@Minerva

@Takumi

When he came downstairs, he would find two figures in front of the piano. A man and a woman, dressed similarly. They wore clean clothes, certainly cleaner than any that had been seen in the last few days. They had an attitude that Dimitri would recognize, one of sophistication and intellect.

1af1014a22869ee0f8e6dbd8c3065c8c.png

"Well, it looks like someone's late for an Appointment in Samarra." The woman said in her upper-class accent.

"Or, from one point of view, early for their next one." The man responded.

"Well, we wouldn't want to keep him from being late to that one, would we, brother?"

"Indeed we shan't."

And with that, the two figures walked into the next room, leaving the three alone, Aspity watching from the stairs. She quietly whispered something in the Steppe language, still too stunned from what Dimitri had said to speak up.

There was a knock at the door.

"A child? Doctor, perhaps you've been working too long. The only ones here are us and the deceased." The bird would tilt his head. "You should rest." Looking over the balcony would reveal an empty floor below. The stage light would flash on, pointing to the door just below you. The wind continued to echo through the building, and the wailing of the dying would echo throughout the hall.

"It happens. We know not the hour nor the day, eh?" The man said, quoting the Bible. "All we can do is take..." He dug into the ground and heaved. "Our lots in life and work from there." He wiped some sweat off of his brow. "You've been a big help. Certainly more than some others during this crisis." He said with a chortle. "Ya hear? Army's considering cutting its losses and bombing us to hell. After they've done nothing but shoot at us and close the trains. All a big joke."

"Of course." The Orderly would reply.

The door would be unlocked. Inside, she would find the building was covered with white sheets covering various pieces of furniture. There was a large table set up where the altar usually stood. Two individuals stood at either end of it, facing each other, in a very still fashion. The music was still playing.​

"Well if they are going to do that why are we even hear digging? We could go and fish instead!" Yuri joked though he did seem a bit concerned about the situation. "No thanks necessary, as I said, I like to help."

@Minverva @Sark

“Hey! What are you two doing in ‘ere? You seemed to be making a whole ton of noise!”

Natalya almost danced her way over to the two.

@Minerva

Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri had to wonder how many people had broken entered his house in the time that it had taken him to wake up, He had to wonder how they had gotten clean clothes that looked strangely out of place in town. He could however tell that these two carried themselves with sophistication and intellect, more so than anyone else.

Why was it that everyone in this godforsaken backward town talk in riddles? It was really starting to annoy. Now, he was going to have to recall where he had heard the term Appointment in Samarra before and finally answer the goddamn door. It was all he had been trying to do for the longest time.

There was so much he wanted to do, but he did notice that Aspity was wsispering something. "If you have something worth saying, Aspity, speak up and preferably in Englsih. My Steppe is incredibly rusty and I don't want room for misinterpration."

Dimitri would go and open the door.

@Minerva @Takumi

“Hey! What are you two doing in ‘ere? You seemed to be making a whole ton of noise!”

Natalya almost danced her way over to the two.

@Minerva

The two would look at Natalya. "We're waiting for Kazimir." The woman said. She wore a cassock of a priest, and had an Orthodox cross necklace. "He's supposed to have developed a cure."

"Unless he's lying to us, of course." The male said. He stood up straight and had military emblems and medals on his uniform. "In which case, I will firebomb the town after evacuating my soldiers."

The clock would chime, causing a loud echo in the room. Natalya's ears would start ringing. Everything froze.

"Well if they are going to do that why are we even hear digging? We could go and fish instead!" Yuri joked though he did seem a bit concerned about the situation. "No thanks necessary, as I said, I like to help."

@Minverva @Sark

"Fishing... that'd be nice... I'd love to fish once more." The man said, looking up the sky. He let out a deep breath.

A moment later, there would be a gunshot. Then several more, and then shouting. Finally, the ringing of a church bell from the nearby cathedral.

What? But he...Kazimir blinked, looking out over the theater. No...there had been a child. He knew it. How...He sighed, long and tired, rubbing his eyes with his palms. Of course. He was tired. Sleep deprivation. That was all. No one but the dead. No one lived in this town, anymore. The only difference between himself and those on the tables was merely the fact that he could still breathe.

"I...I just...five minutes of air. That's all." Kazimir stumbled to the door as if drunk, but in truth he was painfully sober. Just a bit of time. Just a bit of time to breathe. He managed to keep his hand from shaking, and his eyesight from blurring, to get his hand on the knob, and turn.

@Minerva

"Of course, sir. Have a nice evening."

As he opened the door, he would see a row of tents in front of the theater. Two soldiers stood playing a game. Screaming and gunfire was in the distance, several people were gathered around a bonfire, warming their hands, and several children were playing hopscotch. It was a surreal scene all around.

Upon getting a breath of fresh air, and taking a step forward, Kazimir would collapse to the ground.

Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri had to wonder how many people had broken entered his house in the time that it had taken him to wake up, He had to wonder how they had gotten clean clothes that looked strangely out of place in town. He could however tell that these two carried themselves with sophistication and intellect, more so than anyone else.

Why was it that everyone in this godforsaken backward town talk in riddles? It was really starting to annoy. Now, he was going to have to recall where he had heard the term Appointment in Samarra before and finally answer the goddamn door. It was all he had been trying to do for the longest time.

There was so much he wanted to do, but he did notice that Aspity was wsispering something. "If you have something worth saying, Aspity, speak up and preferably in Englsih. My Steppe is incredibly rusty and I don't want room for misinterpration."

Dimitri would go and open the door.

@Minerva @Takumi

Behind the Door would be... what appeared to be an orderly. It stepped inside.

271c14a14ab0d4810f111e669bada958f56b716b.gifv

"We meet again, Doctor Alexeyev. I’m afraid that a foe like me is no match for mere men, even you. " The voice said. It was a calm, cool, and polite voice. Like that of an old friend. "However, I'm afraid our time is short. There's a rat in your little nest here that you hadn't found."

He chuckled. "Would you like to wake up to see if you can catch it?"

Intermission The First: The Show Must Go On!

When they opened their eyes, Dimitri, Kazimir, and Natalya found themselves all on the stage. In front of them was Mark Immortell, the director of the local theater. The audience seemed to be... mannequins? Corpses? People? You couldn't tell because of the bags over their heads. Two Birds stood at the back, next to the door. There was an eerie quiet to the room, you could hear a pin drop.

300px-Marktrade.png

Immortell leaned forward on his cane, and gestured with his hand. "So, a second performance, and yet another flop. You are all unfit for your roles. Oh well, pack your things and collect your checks from the birds." He said, pacing back and forth. Finally, he paused and turned around.

"Unless... What say we get the audience's opinion."

Those in the audience would find bags over their heads. Removing the bags, they would find themselves sitting one seat apart, and between each of them sat a Tragedian. Inhuman, and staring forward.

300px-Tragediantrade.png

"Well, audience! What did you think of their performance?" He gestured. "Come on, be honest. Shall we try it once more? Hmm?"

@Sark in the role of Boris Gibel, the Grave Digger

@Takumi in the role of Damir Urusov, The Baker

@Lucky
in the role of Dimitri Alexeyev, The Bachelor

@Yun Lee in the role of Kazimir Oldgerelyn Zolotov, The Haruspex

@Capri in the role of Natalya Kazimirovna Ecditova, The Changeling

@Jeremi in the role of Yuri Popov, The Handyman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back