Illusion Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dream, right? This was all this was. Just another nightmare. He was tired. His body gave out. Yes...yes, that's it. The theater was full of bodies and orderlies and little girls who weren't. He wasn't a performer...or was he? He couldn't save so many people, he was a sham, wasn't he? Khandro, what he'd give for a drink...

He'd not pinch himself, not yet. Maybe if the nightmare got worse. His body needed the rest. Let this all play out, see what happens. That's what he would do. It's time for their audience to talk. By all means...please, talk.

@Minerva @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Sark @Takumi

The two would look at Natalya. "We're waiting for Kazimir." The woman said. She wore a cassock of a priest, and had an Orthodox cross necklace. "He's supposed to have developed a cure."

"Unless he's lying to us, of course." The male said. He stood up straight and had military emblems and medals on his uniform. "In which case, I will firebomb the town after evacuating my soldiers."

The clock would chime, causing a loud echo in the room. Natalya's ears would start ringing. Everything froze.

"Fishing... that'd be nice... I'd love to fish once more." The man said, looking up the sky. He let out a deep breath.

A moment later, there would be a gunshot. Then several more, and then shouting. Finally, the ringing of a church bell from the nearby cathedral.

"Of course, sir. Have a nice evening."

As he opened the door, he would see a row of tents in front of the theater. Two soldiers stood playing a game. Screaming and gunfire was in the distance, several people were gathered around a bonfire, warming their hands, and several children were playing hopscotch. It was a surreal scene all around.

Upon getting a breath of fresh air, and taking a step forward, Kazimir would collapse to the ground.

Behind the Door would be... what appeared to be an orderly. It stepped inside.

271c14a14ab0d4810f111e669bada958f56b716b.gifv

"We meet again, Doctor Alexeyev." The voice said. It was a calm, cool, and polite voice. Like that of an old friend. "However, I'm afraid our time is short. There's a rat in your little nest here that you hadn't found."

He chuckled. "Would you like to wake up to see if you can catch it?"

Intermission The First: The Show Must Go On!

When they opened their eyes, Dimitri, Kazimir, and Natalya found themselves all on the stage. In front of them was Mark Immortell, the director of the local theater. The audience seemed to be... mannequins? Corpses? People? You couldn't tell because of the bags over their heads. Two Birds stood at the back, next to the door. There was an eerie quiet to the room, you could hear a pin drop.

300px-Marktrade.png

Immortell leaned forward on his cane, and gestured with his hand. "So, a second performance, and yet another flop. You are all unfit for your roles. Oh well, pack your things and collect your checks from the birds." He said, pacing back and forth. Finally, he paused and turned around.

"Unless... What say we get the audience's opinion."

Those in the audience would find bags over their heads. Removing the bags, they would find themselves sitting one seat apart, and between each of them sat a Tragedian. Inhuman, and staring forward.

300px-Tragediantrade.png

"Well, audience! What did you think of their performance?" He gestured. "Come on, be honest. Shall we try it once more? Hmm?"

@Sark in the role of Boris Gibel, the Grave Digger

@Takumi in the role of Damir Urusov, The Baker

@Lucky
in the role of Dimitri Alexeyev, The Bachelor

@Yun Lee in the role of Kazimir Oldgerelyn Zolotov, The Haruspex

@Capri in the role of Natalya Kazimirovna Ecditova, The Changeling

@Jeremi in the role of Yuri Popov, The Handyman

Yuri clutched his shovel tight when he heard the gunshots and the sudden tolling of the bell. "I don't like the sound of that..." He looked over to Boris and the others with a concerned look on his face. Were there more bodies to be buried?

"I think that perhaps we'd be open for a little break?" He asked aloud. "The church bell is almost like a bell signaling for silence!" He halfheartedly chuckled trying to lighten the mood a bit. He knew their overseers wouldn't appreciate any break from them any time soon. Not when there was still fresh corpses to bury. And then his whole world went black.

Yuri woke up in a fright pulling off the sack from his head he pulled back again when he saw who was sitting next to him as well as the stage in front of them. What was going on? What was this? Had he been? "I'm afraid it was a bit hard to see with a bag on my head," He chuckled. Yuri didn't mean for it to sound hostile but considering the situation, he wasn't very good at playing the jovial handyman right about now.

@Minerva @Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Takumi

Last edited:
Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri really hated being looked at like he was a ghost, but he decided to ignore the fact that Damir was regarding as a spectre. It was a simple mistake that he can make, especially with his habit to sleep in a coffin like an already dead man.

" If you must continue to ask stupid questions, please at least address in a manner where I don't find them to be so irritable. I am going to answer the door and after that, I am going to gather my tools and work on the bloody girl you have in your arms," he replied, his voice emitting not a single emotion. It was hard to tell if he was actually irritated.

There were just so many people in this Podunk town that couldn't stand the thought of death and it drove him mad. Why was it so hard for everyone to see that things were not as picturesque as they thought? There was a moment before he would look around before Aspity spoke.

Why, oh why, did he have to work with such foolish people who felt that it was imperative to repeat the obvious. " And here I thought he came to talk to you- yes, I heard the door. I was going to answer it before both you and our bloody friend decided to interrupt my walk to answer it. Also, please stop speaking in allegories, it's annoying and not helpful to anyone here," he added before going back to answer the door.

As he looked over, he was about to regard the man to not look at her, but it was much too late.

He had not been paying attention to what the woman had been doing and he decided to not address it, unless she spoke or said something incredibly stupid. There was a shimmer of hope she wouldn't.

It seemed to last exactly one second before he would see the baker to tell her to stop. Well, at least someone had been polite about it.

At least the man had some common sense, even if he didn't exactly have a reason for his request. And just then, Aspity said the stupid thing.

Oh, if he was a lesser man, he would have slapped Aspity. " Yes, they must be. Rubbing your hands is only going to make things worse. Who knows how many bad things that you touched throughout the day?"

Dimitri would look over at the man and decided to make a simple request to the man. He doubted he could fuck it up.

" Perhaps then, you would like to wash your hands and that of the girl you are carrying in your arms. It would certainly make things much cleaner here for everyone. I don't know how either of you got blood on your hands and quite frankly, I don't care. But all of the blood is making my house a mess, so wash up and no, I'm not requesting. Wash your hands while I answer the door outside," he replied.

Having addressed both of them and having spent enough of his time wasting, he would go and answer the door, ignoring the cough that was coming on. Whoever needed the help would get it. That much was a tradition that he honored.

@Minerva @Takumi

@Takumi

When he came downstairs, he would find two figures in front of the piano. A man and a woman, dressed similarly. They wore clean clothes, certainly cleaner than any that had been seen in the last few days. They had an attitude that Dimitri would recognize, one of sophistication and intellect.

1af1014a22869ee0f8e6dbd8c3065c8c.png

"Well, it looks like someone's late for an Appointment in Samarra." The woman said in her upper-class accent.

"Or, from one point of view, early for their next one." The man responded.

"Well, we wouldn't want to keep him from being late to that one, would we, brother?"

"Indeed we shan't."

And with that, the two figures walked into the next room, leaving the three alone, Aspity watching from the stairs. She quietly whispered something in the Steppe language, still too stunned from what Dimitri had said to speak up.

There was a knock at the door.

"A child? Doctor, perhaps you've been working too long. The only ones here are us and the deceased." The bird would tilt his head. "You should rest." Looking over the balcony would reveal an empty floor below. The stage light would flash on, pointing to the door just below you. The wind continued to echo through the building, and the wailing of the dying would echo throughout the hall.

"It happens. We know not the hour nor the day, eh?" The man said, quoting the Bible. "All we can do is take..." He dug into the ground and heaved. "Our lots in life and work from there." He wiped some sweat off of his brow. "You've been a big help. Certainly more than some others during this crisis." He said with a chortle. "Ya hear? Army's considering cutting its losses and bombing us to hell. After they've done nothing but shoot at us and close the trains. All a big joke."

"Of course." The Orderly would reply.

The door would be unlocked. Inside, she would find the building was covered with white sheets covering various pieces of furniture. There was a large table set up where the altar usually stood. Two individuals stood at either end of it, facing each other, in a very still fashion. The music was still playing.​

Dimirti sounded like a strict instructor, all things considered. Leaving to wash his hands for a moment, he'd return to hear Aspety murmur in what seemed to be the Steppe tongue.

He tried to hear her words, as quiet as they were, wondering if she gad taken offense to the man's tone. If so, he couldn't quite blame her.

He opened his mouth to speak to her, when darkness began to cloud his vision like shadows and everything faded into black.

The two would look at Natalya. "We're waiting for Kazimir." The woman said. She wore a cassock of a priest, and had an Orthodox cross necklace. "He's supposed to have developed a cure."

"Unless he's lying to us, of course." The male said. He stood up straight and had military emblems and medals on his uniform. "In which case, I will firebomb the town after evacuating my soldiers."

The clock would chime, causing a loud echo in the room. Natalya's ears would start ringing. Everything froze.

"Fishing... that'd be nice... I'd love to fish once more." The man said, looking up the sky. He let out a deep breath.

A moment later, there would be a gunshot. Then several more, and then shouting. Finally, the ringing of a church bell from the nearby cathedral.

"Of course, sir. Have a nice evening."

As he opened the door, he would see a row of tents in front of the theater. Two soldiers stood playing a game. Screaming and gunfire was in the distance, several people were gathered around a bonfire, warming their hands, and several children were playing hopscotch. It was a surreal scene all around.

Upon getting a breath of fresh air, and taking a step forward, Kazimir would collapse to the ground.

Behind the Door would be... what appeared to be an orderly. It stepped inside.

271c14a14ab0d4810f111e669bada958f56b716b.gifv

"We meet again, Doctor Alexeyev. I’m afraid that a foe like me is no match for mere men, even you. " The voice said. It was a calm, cool, and polite voice. Like that of an old friend. "However, I'm afraid our time is short. There's a rat in your little nest here that you hadn't found."

He chuckled. "Would you like to wake up to see if you can catch it?"

Intermission The First: The Show Must Go On!

When they opened their eyes, Dimitri, Kazimir, and Natalya found themselves all on the stage. In front of them was Mark Immortell, the director of the local theater. The audience seemed to be... mannequins? Corpses? People? You couldn't tell because of the bags over their heads. Two Birds stood at the back, next to the door. There was an eerie quiet to the room, you could hear a pin drop.

300px-Marktrade.png

Immortell leaned forward on his cane, and gestured with his hand. "So, a second performance, and yet another flop. You are all unfit for your roles. Oh well, pack your things and collect your checks from the birds." He said, pacing back and forth. Finally, he paused and turned around.

"Unless... What say we get the audience's opinion."

Those in the audience would find bags over their heads. Removing the bags, they would find themselves sitting one seat apart, and between each of them sat a Tragedian. Inhuman, and staring forward.

300px-Tragediantrade.png

"Well, audience! What did you think of their performance?" He gestured. "Come on, be honest. Shall we try it once more? Hmm?"

@Lucky

Removing the bag from his head with a deep frown, Damir cringed at the sight of what sat beside him, before glancing down at the bag in his hands then up at Immortell. Was this some mass kidnapping? How could anyone see a thing with a bag over their head?

"Can't tell how their performance was with the senses blocked." He replied, motioning to the bag in his hands. Two failed attempts at this...play so far? Something in his gut rolled uneasily at that, but he couldn't quite place why that was.

"Let them try again." He spoke, glancing back to Immortell. Plays and the like always had lots of rehearsals, didn't they?

However...the blood instead of flour and the red were things he remembered, and were things he wasn't sure he wanted to repeat. It was odd, why was it red when it shouldn't have been? He felt as if part of what he should know on that was blocked, pushed back into dark forgotten corners, but...

No, no. He should focus on what was happening around him, in front of him, with the three on stage and the...masked person asking questions he didn't feel up to answering.

@Minerva @Yun Lee @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Sark

NATALYA KAZIMIROVNA ECDITOVA
@Minerva @Yun Lee @Lucky @Takumi @Jeremi @Sark

Natalya looked at the audience, looked at the others on the stage, and shook her head.

"Play..." she muttered, heaving heavily. That dancing must have taken a lot out of her, or maybe she doesn't know what's happening and is panicking. Natalya was always a mystery.​

Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri stared at the orderly for a moment and it took less than a moment to process who it was.

"Yes, we do meet again, Death. I know that there is no defeating you, no matter how hard I try. Some foes are just like that," he replied back to him, knowing that he wasn't here to claim his life. He most likely came for a moment. " Yes, I have been told that there has been one by many before."

He looked over at him. " I would like to wake up and catch it," he replied.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dimitri would find himself on the stage. Something about this felt right and wrong at the same time. Like, he knew on some level that he was in a play, but on another level, it felt so real, so immersive that he had to wonder if this was just a way to let them start again. He stared at the audience and noticed how quiet everything was. If someone dropped a pin, he was certain that he would hear it fall.

Before he could stop himself, words spilled out of his mouth. " Well, it would certainly help if things weren't added in the second performance. There weren't twins in the first one," he replied, going to grab his things and collect his check from the birds.

@Minerva @Everyone

The reactions of the others onstage didn't help Kazimir one bit. The doctpr ran a shaky hand through his hair, feeling himself break out into a sweat. Was this real? Was he an actor? He didn't know. He was tired. Let him sleep. Let him go home. Please. It's been days. Dream was merging with reality, chaos upon chaos upon chaos and chaos and chaos. What's true? What's fake? What's right? What's wrong? People were sick out there (or were they?). People are dying (or are they?). There's a plague outside (or is there?). Everything was a mess. Please. Order. Normalcy. Where was it? Where was it?

As this storm raged within Kazimir, he remained silent, only finding his voice as Dimitri started leaving. "I..." His voice was so hoarse. When was the last time he'd had anything to drink? At all? Not just vodka, but water? "I...I haven't slept...I have to...help the sick. They need me...please..." Dreams that feel real are normal when stressed. But Kazimir was beyond stress by now. All he was at this point was tired.

@Minerva @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Takumi @Sark

Dimitri would find himself on the stage. Something about this felt right and wrong at the same time. Like, he knew on some level that he was in a play, but on another level, it felt so real, so immersive that he had to wonder if this was just a way to let them start again. He stared at the audience and noticed how quiet everything was. If someone dropped a pin, he was certain that he would hear it fall.

Before he could stop himself, words spilled out of his mouth. " Well, it would certainly help if things weren't added in the second performance. There weren't twins in the first one," he replied, going to grab his things and collect his check from the birds.

@Minerva @Everyone
A dream, right? This was all this was. Just another nightmare. He was tired. His body gave out. Yes...yes, that's it. The theater was full of bodies and orderlies and little girls who weren't. He wasn't a performer...or was he? He couldn't save so many people, he was a sham, wasn't he? Khandro, what he'd give for a drink...

He'd not pinch himself, not yet. Maybe if the nightmare got worse. His body needed the rest. Let this all play out, see what happens. That's what he would do. It's time for their audience to talk. By all means...please, talk.

@Minerva @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Sark @Takumi
The reactions of the others onstage didn't help Kazimir one bit. The doctpr ran a shaky hand through his hair, feeling himself break out into a sweat. Was this real? Was he an actor? He didn't know. He was tired. Let him sleep. Let him go home. Please. It's been days. Dream was merging with reality, chaos upon chaos upon chaos and chaos and chaos. What's true? What's fake? What's right? What's wrong? People were sick out there (or were they?). People are dying (or are they?). There's a plague outside (or is there?). Everything was a mess. Please. Order. Normalcy. Where was it? Where was it?

As this storm raged within Kazimir, he remained silent, only finding his voice as Dimitri started leaving. "I..." His voice was so hoarse. When was the last time he'd had anything to drink? At all? Not just vodka, but water? "I...I haven't slept...I have to...help the sick. They need me...please..." Dreams that feel real are normal when stressed. But Kazimir was beyond stress by now. All he was at this point was tired.

@Minerva @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Takumi @Sark
@Minerva @Yun Lee @Lucky @Takumi @Jeremi @Sark

Natalya looked at the audience, looked at the others on the stage, and shook her head.

"Play..." she muttered, heaving heavily. That dancing must have taken a lot out of her, or maybe she doesn't know what's happening and is panicking. Natalya was always a mystery.

Twins? Now that was an interesting twist. The only twins had been the Kains yet one was dead in the beginning. This would have to be reexamined in the retread.

However, when he tried to leave, he would find himself...

Backstage. What the hell was going on? He could hear the discussion going on in front. Mark continued.

"Very well, I will allow you all one more chance, but..." He turned to face the audience. "That is due to the graciousness of our benefactors, without whom this play would have been a flop."

Yuri clutched his shovel tight when he heard the gunshots and the sudden tolling of the bell. "I don't like the sound of that..." He looked over to Boris and the others with a concerned look on his face. Were there more bodies to be buried?

"I think that perhaps we'd be open for a little break?" He asked aloud. "The church bell is almost like a bell signaling for silence!" He halfheartedly chuckled trying to lighten the mood a bit. He knew their overseers wouldn't appreciate any break from them any time soon. Not when there was still fresh corpses to bury. And then his whole world went black.

Yuri woke up in a fright pulling off the sack from his head he pulled back again when he saw who was sitting next to him as well as the stage in front of them. What was going on? What was this? Had he been? "I'm afraid it was a bit hard to see with a bag on my head," He chuckled. Yuri didn't mean for it to sound hostile but considering the situation, he wasn't very good at playing the jovial handyman right about now.

@Minerva @Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Takumi
Dimirti sounded like a strict instructor, all things considered. Leaving to wash his hands for a moment, he'd return to hear Aspety murmur in what seemed to be the Steppe tongue.

He tried to hear her words, as quiet as they were, wondering if she gad taken offense to the man's tone. If so, he couldn't quite blame her.

He opened his mouth to speak to her, when darkness began to cloud his vision like shadows and everything faded into black.

Removing the bag from his head with a deep frown, Damir cringed at the sight of what sat beside him, before glancing down at the bag in his hands then up at Immortell. Was this some mass kidnapping? How could anyone see a thing with a bag over their head?

"Can't tell how their performance was with the senses blocked." He replied, motioning to the bag in his hands. Two failed attempts at this...play so far? Something in his gut rolled uneasily at that, but he couldn't quite place why that was.

"Let them try again." He spoke, glancing back to Immortell. Plays and the like always had lots of rehearsals, didn't they?

However...the blood instead of flour and the red were things he remembered, and were things he wasn't sure he wanted to repeat. It was odd, why was it red when it shouldn't have been? He felt as if part of what he should know on that was blocked, pushed back into dark forgotten corners, but...

No, no. He should focus on what was happening around him, in front of him, with the three on stage and the...masked person asking questions he didn't feel up to answering.

@Minerva @Yun Lee @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Sark

"A performance needs an audience, otherwise it's just a rehearsal. It's the audience's place to judge the performance." Mark paused. "We shall have an encore performance!"

He then turned around to the cast.

"From the top!" He declared.

And the lights went black.

((Chapter One is coming soon, this post was just becoming too long))​

Chapter One: Da Capo Al Fine

Da Capo:
An Italian musical term that means "from the beginning"[1] (literally, "from the head"). It is often abbreviated as D.C. The term is a directive to repeat the previous part of music, often used to save space, and thus is an easier way of saying to repeat the music from the beginning.
- Wikipedia

A Letter said:
My dear son Kazimir,

I write to you after so many years apart in the hopes that you may find a way to return to us.

Something worries me. I fear a difficult trial approaches. I hope that your studies have proven fruitful, and that you have achieved great skill as a surgeon. Such skill might be of use here.

I remain the only physician in this town. But you know that I am growing old, and am in need of an assistant.

I do not fear death, and neither should you. Death, to a doctor, is but a partner in conversation. The constant witness of our work—even when we succeed. It is not old age, or what comes after it, that worries me. I am instead beset by the thought that I might fail to pass on my role.

Make haste, son. I truly need you.

Your loving father,
Oldegerel Zolotov
- It's a letter from your father asking you to return home.

"The umbilical cord connecting us to the outside world begins here. This part is for cargo."

You wake up to find yourself in a train's box car. It's moving, but slowing down. How long have you been inside of it? Days? Weeks? Time has all blended together. A slice of bread, a worn deck of cards, and a candle sit in front of you. Your bedroll is all laid out, tucked between boxes. The soft rumbling of the rails below add to a lull.

The train stops.

A Letter From a Benefactor said:
Mister Alexeyev,

I have heard of your recent troubles with The Powers That Be, and I write to you because I wish to assuage your concerns.

There is a man in our town who might help prove your hypothesis. His name is Simon Kain, and he has lived longer than anyone in our town. I believe he could be of great importance to your studies. Please come as quickly as you can, for I fear that very soon, that information will be useless to you.

Kindest Regards,
Doctor Oldegerel Zolotov
- A letter from the town's doctor asking you to visit

"Eva Yan's house. An observatory of unseen skies. Used to be a guest house for outsiders. "

You wake up in a bed. It's nice and comfortable. Music comes from below, echoing into your room. Beside the bed, your bags lay, still unpacked, save for your microscope. How late did you arrive? How long did you sleep? The curtains show darkness outside still, so it seems to be early morning.

The singing stops.

A Letter from Someone Close to You said:
My dearest Natalya,

I entrust that you are using your powers for good.

There is a prophecy which states that you and your miracles will one day come into conflict with one like yourself, a harbinger of death. You will be asked to save many. I hope you remember this as you continue your travels and your work.

You will soon come upon a place you are needed when you least expect it.

I will always love you,
Your mother
- It's a letter from your mother that you received some time ago

"You're Always Welcome Here"

You wake up, staring into a pit. For the past few nights, sleep has not brought you any comfort. However, this night seems different. Your back and legs ache, as if you've been walking for a long time. Your hands and knees are covered in mud, and is that blood? It's dark, and the dawn is still a long time away.

The pain stops.

The Town:

Upon the arrival of strangers, and a prodigal son, into Town-on-Gorkhon, the air would change. It seemed different, more stale. It's the early morning, just before the dawn, and many in the town are beginning to wake. There is a quiet stillness that sits over the town. One that is eerie.

Where are you, and what are you doing at this time?

The Town-On-Gorkhon: A Basic Overview

TownMap.png

The town is split into three districts, each split up by the tributaries of the Gorkhon River. The Earth Quarter, located next to The Guzzle, is the heart of the Town's industry as it contains the Abattoir and the Termitary. The middle district is known as The Knots. This district contains the Town Hall and the Train Station, and is where people first arrive in town. The Third District is The Stone Yard, next to The Gullet, and is an upper-class residential district that also contains the Cathedral and The Polyhedron.

The Earth Quarter:
The Cemetery
: Most of the Town's dead are Laid to rest here. Watched over by a girl named Grace, and Boris Gibel, who digs graves.
The Termitary: A large concrete complex of two buildings that house the town's members of The Kin that work in the meat processing plant. Many people in the town dislike it, seeing it as a blemish, and the Kin see it as a symbol of oppression.
The Abattoir: The slaughterhouse and heart of the town's industry. Cattle are brought in, and meat is brought out. Some say it's the womb from whence the town came, giving it its life.
The Broken Heart Pub: The Town's pub, owned by the architect Andrey Stamatin. Serves an alcohol called Twyrine, and employs Kin Herb Brides as dancers. It acts as a gathering place and pawn shop for the town.
The Skinners and The Hindquarters: Two of the towns residential districts. Apartment buildings and houses are in this area. The apartments are buildings consisting of four apartments each, two on the top and two on the bottom. The Skinners is considered more affluent than The Hindquarters.

The Knots
The Station
: The place that connects The Town to the rest of the world. The Station is split into two parts: The Passenger station and the Cargo Station.
Warehouses: Where goods are stored before they enter or leave town. It's also become somewhat of a home for troublemakers and gangs of different types.
The Theater: The theater is known for having all kinds of performances. It was bought out a few years before by the eccentric actor Mark Immortell, and has put on shows since.
Town Hall: The Administrative Center of town that also contains the town jail. Bureaucrats, Lawyers, and the mayor all make their offices in this building.
The Spleen and The Gut: Middle class neightborhoods, with a mansion in The Gut belonging to Olgimskys, the ones in charge of The Bull Project, and thus, the town's industry.

The Stone Yard:
The Cathedral:
The Kain's attempt to "pierce time," and manipulate time and space. The largest feature is its clock.
The Polyhedron: A work of miracles. An impossible figure made by the Kains and the many architects in town. Considered the Abattoir's antithesis. Many legends and whispers have come up about The Polyhedron. Occasionally, pools of blood will form at its base with no explanation why.
The Crucible: The collection of the Kain family's houses. Next to The Gullet river.
The Stillwater: an "observatory of unseen skies" that now functions as the house for Eva Yan, as well as a "Guest House" for new arrivals. It was also meant to have an effect on the mind and soul.
The Atrium: A small shopping district.

Other:
Grocery Stores
: Every district has two Grocery Stores, with one in The Warehouses that welcomes anyone, regardless of their supposed reputation. WIll also barter for items if one does not have money.
Stairways to Heaven: "Test Runs" for The Polyhedron, and frequent playgrounds for the children of the town, despite the dangerous heights they reach. These can be found in various places around the city.

@Lucky

Da Capo:
An Italian musical term that means "from the beginning"[1] (literally, "from the head"). It is often abbreviated as D.C. The term is a directive to repeat the previous part of music, often used to save space, and thus is an easier way of saying to repeat the music from the beginning.
- Wikipedia

"The umbilical cord connecting us to the outside world begins here. This part is for cargo."

You wake up to find yourself in a train's box car. It's moving, but slowing down. How long have you been inside of it? Days? Weeks? Time has all blended together. A slice of bread, a worn deck of cards, and a candle sit in front of you. Your bedroll is all laid out, tucked between boxes. The soft rumbling of the rails below add to a lull.

The train stops.

"Eva Yan's house. An observatory of unseen skies. Used to be a guest house for outsiders. "

You wake up in a bed. It's nice and comfortable. Music comes from below, echoing into your room. Beside the bed, your bags lay, still unpacked, save for your microscope. How late did you arrive? How long did you sleep? The curtains show darkness outside still, so it seems to be early morning.

The singing stops.

You wake up, staring into a pit. For the past few nights, sleep has not brought you any comfort. However, this night seems different. Your back and legs ache, as if you've been walking for a long time. Your hands and knees are covered in mud, and is that blood? It's dark, and the dawn is still a long time away.

The pain stops.

The Town:

Upon the arrival of strangers, and a prodigal son, into Town-on-Gorkhon, the air would change. It seemed different, more stale. It's the early morning, just before the dawn, and many in the town are beginning to wake. There is a quiet stillness that sits over the town. One that is eerie.

TownMap.png

The town is split into three districts, each split up by the tributaries of the Gorkhon River. The Earth Quarter, located next to The Guzzle, is the heart of the Town's industry as it contains the Abattoir and the Termitary. The middle district is known as The Knots. This district contains the Town Hall and the Train Station, and is where people first arrive in town. The Third District is The Stone Yard, next to The Gullet, and is an upper-class residential district that also contains the Cathedral and The Polyhedron.

The Earth Quarter:
The Cemetery
: Most of the Town's dead are Laid to rest here. Watched over by a girl named Grace, and Boris Gibel, who digs graves.
The Termitary: A large concrete complex of two buildings that house the town's members of The Kin that work in the meat processing plant. Many people in the town dislike it, seeing it as a blemish, and the Kin see it as a symbol of oppression.
The Abattoir: The slaughterhouse and heart of the town's industry. Cattle are brought in, and meat is brought out. Some say it's the womb from whence the town came, giving it its life.
The Broken Heart Pub: The Town's pub, owned by the architect Andrey Stamatin. Serves an alcohol called Twyrine, and employs Kin Herb Brides as dancers. It acts as a gathering place and pawn shop for the town.
The Skinners and The Hindquarters: Two of the towns residential districts. Apartment buildings and houses are in this area. The apartments are buildings consisting of four apartments each, two on the top and two on the bottom. The Skinners is considered more affluent than The Hindquarters.

The Knots
The Station
: The place that connects The Town to the rest of the world. The Station is split into two parts: The Passenger station and the Cargo Station.
Warehouses: Where goods are stored before they enter or leave town. It's also become somewhat of a home for troublemakers and gangs of different types.
The Theater: The theater is known for having all kinds of performances. It was bought out a few years before by the eccentric actor Mark Immortell, and has put on shows since.
Town Hall: The Administrative Center of town that also contains the town jail. Bureaucrats, Lawyers, and the mayor all make their offices in this building.
The Spleen and The Gut: Middle class neightborhoods, with a mansion in The Gut belonging to Olgimskys, the ones in charge of The Bull Project, and thus, the town's industry.

The Stone Yard:
The Cathedral:
The Kain's attempt to "pierce time," and manipulate time and space. The largest feature is its clock.
The Polyhedron: A work of miracles. An impossible figure made by the Kains and the many architects in town. Considered the Abattoir's antithesis. Many legends and whispers have come up about The Polyhedron. Occasionally, pools of blood will form at its base with no explanation why.
The Crucible: The collection of the Kain family's houses. Next to The Gullet river.
The Stillwater: an "observatory of unseen skies" that now functions as the house for Eva Yan, as well as a "Guest House" for new arrivals. It was also meant to have an effect on the mind and soul.

Other:
Grocery Stores
: Every district has two Grocery Stores, with one in The Warehouses that welcomes anyone, regardless of their supposed reputation. WIll also barter for items if one does not have money.
Stairways to Heaven: "Test Runs" for The Polyhedron, and frequent playgrounds for the children of the town, despite the dangerous heights they reach. These can be found in various places around the city.

@Lucky

ding ding

The Warehouses grocery store's door swung open as Yuri Popov stepped in with a large box filled with ice and fish. The last days had been a bit of a blur to poor Yuri. The gravedigging and the play, he was sure he had seen a play but...nevermind that. He had found himself back in his bed at some point and woken early to catch some fish down the stream. He needed supplies and with money being tight right now he figured that perhaps he had a chance with some bartering? Not many felt like fishing after all and it was good for them too, or so he had heard. "Morning!" He chimed in his deep baritone voice as he entered. "Are you perhaps interested in some fresh fish?"

@Minerva

@Minerva

Natalya gazed at her hand, and the hole. She felt her knees caked in mud and blood.

Where am I? Natalya wondered. She stood up, taking in the dark scenery around her.

She sharply inhaled and exhaled. An image of her mother flashed in her mind before she began to walk once again.

She wanted to see who else was around. If anyone was around.​

ding ding

The Warehouses grocery store's door swung open as Yuri Popov stepped in with a large box filled with ice and fish. The last days had been a bit of a blur to poor Yuri. The gravedigging and the play, he was sure he had seen a play but...nevermind that. He had found himself back in his bed at some point and woken early to catch some fish down the stream. He needed supplies and with money being tight right now he figured that perhaps he had a chance with some bartering? Not many felt like fishing after all and it was good for them too, or so he had heard. "Morning!" He chimed in his deep baritone voice as he entered. "Are you perhaps interested in some fresh fish?"

@Minerva
“Ah, mister Popov. It's nice to see you." The shopkeeper said, smiling. "I'm always interested to see what you have to sell. You're just in time. They're unloading the train that just arrived." He was a friendly gentleman, always willing to help a soul in need. "So, what fish do ya have for me this time?"

@Minerva

Natalya gazed at her hand, and the hole. She felt her knees caked in mud and blood.

Where am I? Natalya wondered. She stood up, taking in the dark scenery around her.

She sharply inhaled and exhaled. An image of her mother flashed in her mind before she began to walk once again.

She wanted to see who else was around. If anyone was around.

Wandering through the grave yard, she would find a girl, younger than herself, reading a poem out loud next to a grave. She seemed... strange, with her ragged hair, and dirty yet nice clothes.

300px-Gracetrade.png

"Lo! ’t is a gala night
Within the lonesome latter years!
An angel throng, bewinged, bedight
In veils, and drowned in tears,
Sit in a theatre, to see
A play of hopes and fears,
While the orchestra breathes fitfully

The music of the spheres."

“Ah, mister Popov. It's nice to see you." The shopkeeper said, smiling. "I'm always interested to see what you have to sell. You're just in time. They're unloading the train that just arrived." He was a friendly gentleman, always willing to help a soul in need. "So, what fish do ya have for me this time?"

Wandering through the grave yard, she would find a girl, younger than herself, reading a poem out loud next to a grave. She seemed... strange, with her ragged hair, and dirty yet nice clothes.

300px-Gracetrade.png

"Lo! ’t is a gala night
Within the lonesome latter years!
An angel throng, bewinged, bedight
In veils, and drowned in tears,
Sit in a theatre, to see
A play of hopes and fears,
While the orchestra breathes fitfully

The music of the spheres."

"Mainly large and smallmouth bass," Yuri replied as he walked up to the counter with his catch. "Freshly caught," He repeated, no one wanted old fish after all. Placing the box on the counter he opened up the gill area for one of the fish to show off its red color. "I'm sure you'll find a buyer for fish like this!" The truth was that he had caught far less than he usually had. Yuri hoped it wasn't going to be a trend moving forward.

@Minerva

@Minerva

“Uhmm... excuse me, little girl? Sorry to interrupt your poetry, but, do you know where I am? I got lost...”
Natalya asked the little girl. She hoped that the girl had answers, but Natalya knew these types of people were never at all straightforward.

Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri knew that he had just woken nup and he could have sworn that he had the strangest dream, but the details of said dream escaped him. It didn't matter, he had work to do in the town. He had no clue what time it was, but he couldn't remember how long he slept for. Well, at least the singing had stopped.

Dimitri would get up and get dressed before heading down. First Breakfest and then to find Simon Kain. " This better be worth my time," he mumbled.

@Minerva

Prologue: Kazimir Oldgerelyn Zolotov
"Limbo"

"Nn..." Kazimir blinked once, twice, waking up fully as the train began to lurch to a stop. He rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hand, letting out a sigh. So...this was it. Home. But was it really home? It's been such a long time... He was glad to be awake, at least. He was dreaming about...something. A stage, and a little girl, and a door...He'd attended a few plays at the university, perhaps his subconscious was reliving those memories? Who could say.

But he wasn't about to wait much longer. His father needed him, and he had to admit, it would be nice to see him again after all this time. Letters were a poor substitute for the real thing. Kazimir stood, stretching for a few minutes before collecting the cards and whatever else belonged to him. He ate the bread, as well, to not waste food. And with that all done...he was on his way.

@Minerva

"Mainly large and smallmouth bass," Yuri replied as he walked up to the counter with his catch. "Freshly caught," He repeated, no one wanted old fish after all. Placing the box on the counter he opened up the gill area for one of the fish to show off its red color. "I'm sure you'll find a buyer for fish like this!" The truth was that he had caught far less than he usually had. Yuri hoped it wasn't going to be a trend moving forward.

@Minerva

The grocer took a look at the fish, grabbing the hooks in his large hand. He would hold them up in the morning light, examining the scales. "Indeed. At this quality? They'll be purchased in no time. Good and fresh." He said. "Now, what else can I do for you today, my friend?" He said, offering a smile and putting his hand on his hip.

@Minerva

“Uhmm... excuse me, little girl? Sorry to interrupt your poetry, but, do you know where I am? I got lost...”
Natalya asked the little girl. She hoped that the girl had answers, but Natalya knew these types of people were never at all straightforward.

The girl looked up at Natalya, her face still grim. She closed the book. "When sugar dissolves in tea, it's not lost, is it? Neither are you." She said. "Here in the graveyard of Town-on-Gorkhon, you stand. Wandering like a dove, hmm?"

Dimitri Alexeyv

Dimitri knew that he had just woken nup and he could have sworn that he had the strangest dream, but the details of said dream escaped him. It didn't matter, he had work to do in the town. He had no clue what time it was, but he couldn't remember how long he slept for. Well, at least the singing had stopped.

Dimitri would get up and get dressed before heading down. First Breakfest and then to find Simon Kain. " This better be worth my time," he mumbled.

@Minerva

Evatrade.png

Downstairs, he would find Eva Yan, standing by the window. "Ah, good morning. I trust you slept well?" She asked with a joyous nod. "Last night, before you arrived, I saw a violet star. I'd never seen one before." She said, making conversation.

Prologue: Kazimir Oldgerelyn Zolotov
"Limbo"

"Nn..." Kazimir blinked once, twice, waking up fully as the train began to lurch to a stop. He rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hand, letting out a sigh. So...this was it. Home. But was it really home? It's been such a long time... He was glad to be awake, at least. He was dreaming about...something. A stage, and a little girl, and a door...He'd attended a few plays at the university, perhaps his subconscious was reliving those memories? Who could say.

But he wasn't about to wait much longer. His father needed him, and he had to admit, it would be nice to see him again after all this time. Letters were a poor substitute for the real thing. Kazimir stood, stretching for a few minutes before collecting the cards and whatever else belonged to him. He ate the bread, as well, to not waste food. And with that all done...he was on his way.

@Minerva

Upon stepping out, Kazimir would be greeted by an eerie quiet. The train yard was packed full of trains, yet no workers. Walking a few feet, there would be another light coming from a boxcar. A young child in a patchwork dog mask sat on it, kicking his feet back and forth.

"Hey, Mister." He said. "I'd be careful if I were you. I've been sniffing around, and someone important was murdered." He continued to kick his feet back and forth and swung his head from side to side.

The grocer took a look at the fish, grabbing the hooks in his large hand. He would hold them up in the morning light, examining the scales. "Indeed. At this quality? They'll be purchased in no time. Good and fresh." He said. "Now, what else can I do for you today, my friend?" He said, offering a smile and putting his hand on his hip.

The girl looked up at Natalya, her face still grim. She closed the book. "When sugar dissolves in tea, it's not lost, is it? Neither are you." She said. "Here in the graveyard of Town-on-Gorkhon, you stand. Wandering like a dove, hmm?"

Evatrade.png

Downstairs, he would find Eva Yan, standing by the window. "Ah, good morning. I trust you slept well?" She asked with a joyous nod. "Last night, before you arrived, I saw a violet star. I'd never seen one before." She said, making conversation.

Upon stepping out, Kazimir would be greeted by an eerie quiet. The train yard was packed full of trains, yet no workers. Walking a few feet, there would be another light coming from a boxcar. A young child in a patchwork dog mask sat on it, kicking his feet back and forth.

"Hey, Mister." He said. "I'd be careful if I were you. I've been sniffing around, and someone important was murdered." He continued to kick his feet back and forth and swung his head from side to side.

"If it's not too much of a bother," Yuri began sheepishly. "My cupboards are running dry back in the cottage. Could I possibly trade some of the fish for some bread, milk, and possibly butter? You know I don't often ask such things but."

@Minerva

"If it's not too much of a bother," Yuri began sheepishly. "My cupboards are running dry back in the cottage. Could I possibly trade some of the fish for some bread, milk, and possibly butter? You know I don't often ask such things but."

@Minerva
"Of course. You're in luck, because the new shipments came in this morning." He said, reaching back to grab a glass bottle of milk. He then reached under the cabinet and pulled out some bread. "It's a day old, I hope you don't mind" He chuckled. "I didn't get to make a new loaf last night."​

Da Capo:
- Wikipedia

The train stops.

The singing stops.

The pain stops.

The Town:

TownMap.png

The Earth Quarter:
The Cemetery

The Knots
The Station

The Stone Yard:
The Cathedral:

Other:
Grocery Stores

@Lucky

Damir Urusov: Sunrise

I can see the sunrise
When I close my eyes
I can feel the morning
And I know the dawn is coming

---​

Damir always woke early, helping out and then eventually owning the bakery was part of it. Did he like waking up early? Not necessarily, but at this point his body was used to it. More or less, since he still had some tiredness to his movements that wouldn't leave for at least another hour or so. He could of sworn, as he dragged himself out of bed to start the day, that he had seen a play...either way, he felt dog tired as if he were a wrung out rag!

Rolling his shoulders to get some soreness from them, he started to softly hum to himself as he tried to think of what he'd eat that morning, as he had been so busy getting ready to face the day and making sure everything would be ready at the bakery that he hadn't realized he hadn't eaten until he was covered in flour up to his elbows and starting to get sore from kneading dough.

Ding ding!

Heading into the grocers, Damir's blue green eyes swept the area. Cheeses and bread sounded like the perfect start to his day, and hopefully he could find some spread to go along with it. His stomach nearly growled audibly at the thought of food in general. How long had it been since he woke this morning anyway?

'Ma would of scolded me.' He thought with a soft click of his tongue. Noticing the grocer and Yuri, the man approached.

"Good morning, gentlemen." He greeted the two with a slight nod of his head.

@Minerva @Jeremi

Last edited:
"It will do just fine," Yuri smiled at the shopkeeper taking the items he was given. "I will manage with this for awhile."

As their transaction finished another stepped in. "Good morning Damir!" Yuri exclaimed. "I don't imagine you are interested in some fish? Freshly caught, and good for you!"

@Minerva @Takumi @Jeremi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back