Jasonchu

GMing way too much~
tl;dr: sci-fi detective game with eldritch horror accents and players in both cooperative and competitive roles.

Terminal Velocity is a Sci-Fi Corporate Noir set in the far flung future where corporations have replaced nations and governments, and inter-stellar travel is as common as international flights are in modern day. Each player acts as an investigator from one of the major corporations that essentially rule the known universe as a corporate oligarchy.

Players have three branches of character advancement which come from each of the corps: Cybernetic Implants designed by Cyberco, Genetic Modifications developed by NuU (Neaumann und Unterbrink, but pronounced “New You”), and Eldritch Imbuements harnessed by The Judas Society. As a highly paid professional, you can afford to get advantages from other corps than the one you work for, however, this is not advised. All three advantages mess with your head, but mixing them is worse since they lessen each other's effectiveness. Cybernetic Implants attack Genetic Modifications and interfere with the flow of Eldritch Imbuements, making them less effective. Genetic Modifications change the body in ways Cybernetic Implants aren't designed for and make the body more prone to mutation from Eldritch Imbuements, increasing botch chance for injuries. Lastly, Eldritch Imbuements corrupt the programming of Cybernetic Implants and taint the tissue of Genetic Modifications, increasing botch chance for malfunctions.

By themselves they can get bad enough. As you become less human and more machine, you will find your emotions becoming muted and your concern for human life being boiled down to simple numbers and equations. As your genetic code strays further and further from what it was, you will begin to have alien thoughts, feelings, and impulses. And as you delve deeper and deeper into the secrets of impossible geometry and the beings that live between the stars and in other dimensions, you will start to lose your grasp on sanity and become more deranged, obsessed, and paranoid.

You start off with one Advantage from one of the three categories, which also shows which of the three corps you work for. The system revolves around investigation, a bit of combat mixed in, and with social interaction being RP (I do rolls for combat, but not social interaction), so the better designed and more believable a lie is the more it’s believed (lies to NPCs must be labled, lies to PCs need a PM sent to me to inform me that it's a lie). Characters don't have their own stats, only what is given to them by their advantages, so being able to tell someone’s lying is either detected by an implant/mutation/imbuement or is just guessed at by the player. The exception to this is Merits and Flaws, which show a notable advantage or disadvantage the character naturally has, such as being absolutely ripped, a total genius, or a huge klutz.

Social Merits and Flaws are usually not allowed as this would require the player to act accordingly, but there are exceptions such as being particularly beautiful or having a bad reputation and other things that can affect first impressions or reputation, but not how elegantly you talk, how pedantic you sound, etc.

As the investigation twists and turns, things will inevitably start to come crumbling down until a final confrontation happens that not everyone gets to walk away from. After that we will either start a new game or advance this one, revealing hidden truths that take the case to a whole new level.

Let me know if you have any questions!

A few notes: I'm doing some canvasing for interest right now and trying to find which of a handful of premises there's enough interest in for a full game. I have every intention of running all of them if interest is there, but I also want it to be known that this game would consist of minimal GM interference, jumping in only to describe a new scene, answer questions, or control NPCs. Most of the game will be the deductive power of the players as they develop an investigation strategy and try to work as a team to solve the cases they are presented.

I will be using two fundamental rules along with possible additions later as needed. The first rule prohibits you from making a post after your own post, even if it's been soooo long since you posted. This means that if you say "So we should probably go to see the victim's ex. What do you think?" and it's been 24 hours since you put that, you can't just ignore the other players and make another post where you say that you leave to head over there. I'll try to get in contact with players who go missing for more than 48hrs with no warning, and if I can't reach you after another 24hrs through the methods you've given me (default is sending a private message on STC) then we'll move on without you. The second rule is a 1 hour exclusion rule, meaning that if player A makes a post, then player B makes a post, player A has to wait at least 1 hour for any other players to respond before replying to player B themself. Obvious exemptions apply, such as if player B's post was asking player A a question directly.

I'd like to join. Judah Society seems neat. Sweet Philosophy, here I come.
Making the impossible commonplace and the enigmatic intuitive, the Judas Society is proud to send you forth as one of their Investigators. Others may derisively refer to you as a "white robe", casting allusions to cultists performing satanic rituals, but we politely refer to those people as unenlightened and leave them to their simplicity.

Back