Akashic Arcana Testing Theories

JessieJames

Dream as if you were dying.
Yuhime Kamui glared at the scroll in her hand. A summoning scroll. The cursed object throbbed with the magic that infused in it as she stepped into one of the many study rooms that were designed for practicing magic in a safe environment. She was lucky none of her contracted ayakashi decided to follow her today. They would have put her into a situation where she might have to bail on attempting to summon the creature from within the item.

The room was a space about twenty feet by twenty feet with a floor that took chalk easily enough along with various items one might need to preform magic. Stepping further into the room she adjusted her kimono's sleeves before opening the scroll so she could get started. It took little prep which worried her some that the creature might be just a spirit or familiar.

Familiars and spirits while powerful allies to have weren't as powerful normally as an ayakashi. Ayakashi were beings with souls and free-will like human beings. They could choice to form a contract or kill the one that summoned or freed them. Yuhime knew she was playing with fire by freeing an ayakashi without any back up but she wanted to prove that she could do things without Ryuu and Tomoe breathing down her neck.

"I call to thee, through the veil of time and space, I call to thee," She began as she nicked her finger on a small dagger she carried with her. Yuhime let the ruby liquid fall from her finger to the chalk lined of the rose seal she had drawn. The eight pointed star that held a pentacle with in it was encircled connecting each point began to glow a pale silver blue signifying her magic had activated the circle, "Come forth to me and show yourself."

The light would intensify till nothing with in the circle was visible before vanishing in a field of crackling lightening what danced before fading away. What stood before her at it center surprised her causing her to wonder what had occurred. This wasn't an ayakashi.

@Aer Shiana

Last edited:
Aeris was used to surprises. After all, hundreds of years spent as a denizen of Hell would prepare you for just about anything. However, when she was going about her business within the protection of her fortress, it came as a shock when a runed circle suddenly appeared around her. "What in the Hell?" She could feel her body dematerializing, as though it were crossing planes. Aeris was being summoned.

A flash of bright light blinded her for a moment, and the Demon Lord found herself in a wide room. An 8-pointed summoning circle was drawn around her feet. What she saw before her was a garb she found very strange. Long flowing robes not unlike the monks of old, but far more elegant and beautiful. Aeris' body was unclothed, covered only by black markings that served as a thin layer of coverage and strong protection, her crimson red hair starkly contrasting against the dark colors. Her eyes were black voids, save for the glowing purple irises, and the slitted pupils would be a giveaway that she was certainly not human.

Their gazes met, with Aeris glaring at Yuhime in an irritated manner. "Who are you, and why did you summon me?" A thought crossed her mind to test the Bond of this summoner, and in the blink of an eye, 2 clawed fingers shot toward the Japanese girl, halting mere centimeters from landing between her eyes. A red glow permeated Aeris' body as the Bond prevented her from attacking the summoner. Blinking, Aeris snarked, "I suppose you're at least strong enough to hold me." Her arm dropped back to her side, waiting for Yuhime to answer.

Large silver blue eyes blinked at the creature before her. Only years of having Ryuu flick her in the forehead had kept her from flinching when the demon before her attempted to end her life. This confirmed that the being before her wasn't an ayakashi. A frown formed on her lips as she glanced over the demoness, "I'm Yuhime Kamui," She stated after a moment, "I summoned you due to the fact I was lead to believe you were an ayakashi. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case."

If she was honest it cut her interest in the being in half. The interest that remained was in the fact that she behaved a little like Tomoe had when she had first broken his seal and released him. Sharp and brash as if the world had nothing to offer him. This behavior was of someone who had been scorned by the world at least once before, "My strength in magic means nothing really had you been what I thought you to be you would have been able to kill me as you desired to. A little more to the point. I summoned you to set you free from the Rose Seal," She pointed to the mark on the floor, "I had thought it odd that a scroll from the west would have my families Rose crest but I figured that if ayakashi existed in Japan they likely existed in other parts of the world. Plus trade wasn't unheard of..."

Yuhime was rambling a little now and she realized that. She hated misunderstandings as much as she disliked people who abused the abilities granted to them by another being. She glanced over the scroll again. There weren't any instructions on how to return the demon after having summoned it. This made her hum softly as she continued to think, "It seems I can't seen you back. Sorry about that."

Aeris cocked her head to the side, not understanding a word that Yuhime said. "Ayakashi? Is that some form of demon?" She was no less annoyed, but at least now she was more curious that murderous. Looking down at the floor, Aeris took a careful step out of the circle, testing how much freedom she had while summoned to the mortal plane. Her feet brushed against the crest that the Summoner mentioned, and she eyed each rune drawn into the circle carefully. Something seemed off. The general markings of the summoning circle were familiar, but the runes themselves were different than what she was used to seeing.

Once she confirmed that she wasn't restrained to the circle, Aeris started to pace around the room, eyeing whatever decor was present. Eventually, she would make her way to the window, looking out onto the massive city that was the Arcadia Academy. Her purple eyes went wide, and the Demon Lord shot her gaze back to Yuhime. "What lands have I been summoned to?" She seemed to ignore the statement about not being able to be sent back to Hell, for Aeris was far more interested in what was before her at this moment.

Aeris would dash out of the room shortly after Yuhime answered, ignoring any screams emitted by any humans she passed by. Her running speed wouldn't be too fast, enough to where Yuhime would be able to follow, eventually finding her way to the rooftop. She gazed in awe at the wonder around her, taking in the vast expanse of the Academy grounds. "I've never seen anything like this..."

Yuhime paused for a moment, "An ayakashi is like the missing link between demons and humans. They have demonic form but a soul like a human there for they have free will and such," her head tilted to the side sending her long white hair dancing over her shoulder as she kept half an eye on the demon as she walked around the room. The question she was asked made her smile slightly, "You are in a country called Japan that is part of the South East Asian Pact. You are on an island school called Arcadia Academy."

She paused when the demon suddenly shot from the room clearly excited about something. Quickly she followed not wanting to get yelled at for letting a demon run around without the one that summoned them, "Wait up would you?" She called as she chased the other to the roof. The look of awe that spread across the demon's face amused her greatly as she stepped up next to her, "It is something. What year was it when you were sealed away?"

Many ayakashi where sealed away prior to the Meiji era and there for didn't know that the warring states period in Japan had ended and the country was now unified under one law. Magic was not the peak force in the world. Where as in their hay days magic was a spotty art best left to those that spent most of their lives learning it.

Japan? Pact? These names were completely foreign to Aeris. She scoffed at Yuhime's description of Ayakashi. "Sounds to me like a fancy word for a demon, really. Plenty of types like that in Hell. Utter weaklings, most of them."

Aeris continued to stare out onto the sprawling cityscape of the Academy, and the mention of the year caused her black heart to skip a beat. Surely it couldn't have been that long since her death. She tried to recall the year, taking more than a few minutes to do so. "Uh.. 675 AD.. give or take a few years." She knew the passage of time in Hell was nearly nonexistant, though she didn't think that more than a few decades had passed. "This.. Japan.. where exactly.. is it? In comparison to Britain?"

She frowned slightly at the mention of ayakashi being weaklings. It was true that not many were extremely powerful like a few that she held contracts with but she hadn't seen a demon up close and personal before so had little to go off at this point, "I'm not sure you are like other demons but it's just thought," She gave a shrug, "That's a long time ago. 1478 years ago," She frowned, "Britain is to the west of us 5,700 miles as the crow flies."

Her exact numbers were odd but numbers was something that she was good with. Calculations were simple and distances where merely a matter of knowing relative distances from many different points to others. Once one understood that they could figure out measurements from and to anywhere plus there was the beautiful internet for when one became stumped or wanted exact measurements. She leaned against the railing and pulled her ORB from her pocket perhaps showing the demon would be easier. She pulled up a map and held it out for the other to look at, "That's Britain," She poked it with her finger to leave a red dot then place another on Japan, "That's Japan."

"Over a millennium..." Aeris looked utterly stone-faced at these news, as though a part of her had just died. So much time has passed... all this build-up for revenge was all for nothing?! Rage and fury swelled up inside her at the thought that the thing that drove her for so long had been dead and buried for over a thousand years, but it eventually just faded away. She let out a sigh, and gave Yuhime a sideways glare at the 'not like other demons' comment, but didn't say anything. Even still, it would be obvious that the Summoner was on the mark about that.

Looking at the map, Aeris blanched at how much distance there was between here and Britain.. and how small the country was compared to everything else. She took the strange metal device, carefully inspecting it like it were some ancient artifact, then looking at the map itself. "... It seems I have much to learn about this world." For the first time in forever, Aeris was passionate about something other than murder and conquest. It was rather refreshing, even though she suspected this wouldn't last. She had seen firsthand the evil that humans were capable of, it was only a matter of time.

Yuhime let her take the device. This wasn't her first time telling someone about the world around them had changed completely from the one they were used to. After all she had to do that with four of her seven contracts. Closing her eyes she sighed and rubbed at a knot in her shoulders, "You are welcome to form a contract with me or remain as you are," She offered after a moment, "You can even move in with me if you don't mind living around eight other beings that is."

"The only two that might give you any hell is Ryuu and Tomoe. They are special cases and are normally with me at all times," Today was different thanks to having given them the slip. It was odd they hadn't come looking for her yet, "I should be clearer. Tomoe and Ryuu live with me here on campus while my other contracts live at my family estate off the island. The others sometimes decided to come see me for whatever reason or other."

She tilted her head to the side as she opened her eyes to glance at the female. Aeris was different in the simple fact that she seemed to hold free will as far as she could tell perhaps something was tied to her soul that prevented her from exercising the full range of it. If she was a full demon she would have been stuck in the Rose Seal that she had drawn earlier till invited out by Yuhime. It puzzled her but amused her all the same.

A toothy grin formed on Aeris' face, baring the sharp chompers she had. "A contract, eh? Alright, then.." Aeris had no interest in trying to play mind games to get this girl's soul. She had more important things to think about. "You will supply me with any knowledge that I request.. within your capabilities, of course. And you will not bind my powers any further. Name your price, and it will be sealed."

So, she has others already under her control? That's actually rather impressive for a human. "I suppose I can tolerate your... companions. This Academy seems like just the place for me. A place of learning. I will stay with you throughout my duration in this world, and protect you from enemies, and so on and so forth. I'll even gladly kill anyone you want me to, as a bonus." She waved her hand, getting the annoyingly common parameters of being summoned out of the way, and grinning widely at her last comment. Though she did feel her powers significantly dampened, and her body rather sluggish and weak in comparison to her physical and magical state in Hell.

Yuhime straightened then, "Rules are for those who have nothing to live for and need perimeters to keep others safe from themselves. I only request that you don't needlessly start any fights and don't kill anyone unless there is no other choice. I can't suppress you power as it stands I can only keep you around or seal you away where you can't harm anyone. I have odd believes and understandings of this world even by my own family's standing. Forming a contract will take a bit of time and energy. I've already spent some of my energy summoning you. I'll explain the contract and how it is formed if you like."

She pushed the sleeves up on one of her arms. In dark green on the inside of her wrist was a series of vines that twisted together to form a simple trinity knot. It looked like a tattoo but the ink seemed to move slightly just under the skin, "This is what the finishing product looks like. At least an example."

The other tattoos on the same arm consisted of a black cat with two tail sitting and a silvery snow flake. The colors were from the colors of the contracts auras while the shape was determined by what they held dear to them, "I would be happy to let you attend classes with me. But I will apologize in advance for the way other people may treat you. Humans these days don't understand that demons and ayakashi as well many other things in this world have full understanding of things and aren't merely masses of energy to be used for battle or medial work."

"Bloody hell, you just take the fun out of everything, don't you? Fine." Aeris then muttered to herself "Even the way they do contracts seems to be different.." Shrugging, Aeris looked directly into Yuhime's eyes, her expression serious and dispassionate. She inspected the contract tattoos, rubbing a clawed finger over them, light enough to not cut the skin. "Interesting.. This is far different from other contracts I've created, except for the one I forged with my Familiar." To demonstrate, the blackened part on her right hand receded, until all of the bare skin was exposed. Upon the top of her hand was a Contract Seal, shaped as a pentagram against a fox-like beast's head. Once Yuhime had a good look, the black marks would reform over her hand, like some form of organic armor.

Smirking at Yuhime, Aeris would coyly say "I don't think I will have a problem with that.." As if to prove her point, Aeris' facial features visibly changed. The markings on her face disappeared, and as she closed her eyes, she seemed to concentrate for a moment before opening them again, revealing them to look more like a normal human's. The iris color was still a glowing purple, but otherwise one wouldn't be able to tell what she was. "You don't need to worry about me, human. I'm quite capable of handling myself."

The marks were filled with magic. The feel of someone else touching the seals caused her to shiver. The only bad thing is that those that were connected to those marks would feel like someone was touching them on the marks on their own bodies that linked their shared contract. They likely wouldn't think much of it and assume she was explaining the marks to someone. She just needed them to not analyze it too closely at this point. She was already going to have a hell of a time explaining to Ryuu and Tomoe that they would be having an extended stay guest. She was glad for once she didn't room with any one else.

She blinked at the familiar mark on the other's hand when it was showed to her. It was similar to her own mark and made her smile slightly, "That's going to be interesting I've never formed a contract with someone who held another contract. I might have to look into possible effects before we complete the seal."

Her eyes widened in surprise as the other became near human in appearance, "You should give Ryuu lessons in that. He's terrible with glamour his eyes are never hidden," She glanced at her ORB to get the time and eeped, "We should get going before those two come looking for me. They can be scary even if they are harmless. Also what's your name?"

She move towards the door and placed her ORB over the scanner which unlocked the door so she could open it, "Come along."

Aeris merely shrugged at Yuhime's concerns, thinking nothing of it. "It's just a Familiar, an annoying little furball. I highly doubt it would cause any issues." Raising an eyebrow at the girl's reaction to her appearance change and question, the Demon Lord was starting to become tired of her ignorance. "It's just polymorphing. It's not that hard to do. Wait, are you telling me you didn't even know who you were summoning, let alone what I was capable of?"

Chuckling and shaking her head, Aeris pinched the bridge of her nose. "Oh boy.." She then straightened herself up and pointed a thumb at her puffed-out chest. "Name's Aeris. Demon Lord of the Roksvirge realm of Hell." Tilting her head slightly, Aeris strolled over to the door Yuhime was waiting. With a smirk, she snarked "Meeting your companions should be fun, human."

Yuhime chuckled lightly, "Yeah there wasn't much information about that scroll I summoned you with you see. So there was no real way of me knowing," She gave a shrug as she lead the way down the stairwell to the floor they had been on. She needed to grab her things before they could travel to her apartment. What she hadn't counted on was a rather beautiful ayakashi to be waiting for her with a gaze of disappointment.

Tomoe was exotic in the way he appeared and didn't care what human thought of his nine fluffy white tails that fanned out behind him like the train of a living skirt. His amber colored eyes framed in red marks that she had long learned were birthmarks along with the one on his forehead. They marked his lineage. Tall elegant white ears stood proud among the white hair that framed his face and fell down his back. Like always he was dressed in fine silk kimono that hung off his form making him seem not only out of place in the modern era but like he didn't belong in this world at all. His head was held high as he stared down at the human who held his contract.

His eyes narrowed on Yuhime instantly, "I should have figure you were up to something," He huffed as he glanced from her to the demoness, "Sorry if my mistress has caused you any trouble. I'll be taking her now."

The little priestess glared at the kitsune as she looked down at her clearly unfazed by her, "I have a reason and a good one," It just wasn't coming to her as well as it had earlier that day. Tomoe like Ryuu held a special place in her heart and both had asked her to become their bride even going as far as teaming up and agreeing to share her. She turned red at the thought, "Plus! She's coming home with us! Tomoe meet Aeris. Aeris this is Tomoe my second contract."

Tomoe very nearly facepalmed as he changed his mind and held out his hand in greeting to the female demon, "Forgive me. It is a pleasure to meet you, Aeris."

Aeris blinked at what stood before her. So this is an Ayakashi? He almost looks human.. She glanced at his furry ears and tails ..if not for the extra parts. Tilting her head at the name "Mistress", the Demon Lord snarked, "Troublesome she may have been, but amusing, nonetheless."

When Yuhime explained the situation, Aeris grinned widely, showing her sharp teeth. "Yup. We're going to be roommates." While she was used to demons being suspiciously polite, this one was giving off a much different aura and feeling. He certainly was powerful, and perhaps sly as a fox, but didn't seem be the threateningly deceptive type. She accepted the handshake, her expression turning serious, albeit still with a slight smirk. There was a twinkle in her purple eye, and her grip was strong despite not putting much effort into it. "Likewise. Hopefully my time with you and your.. Mistress.." She gave Yuhime a slight glance "Will be enlightening and educational."

Tomoe stared down at the woman that shook his hand. His rich amber eyes didn't miss a single detail, "I would welcome you but that isn't my job. Ryuu will likely have some words for the mistress about your joining us but none the less welcome. A word of advice though between two beings who can clearly see the weakness in others. Yuhime is still young and has already shortened her life to keep a few of us safe from the deeds of man and even her own family. Please do not harm her or do anything that would bring blight upon her name."

With that he let go of the woman's hand and moved to his lady who stared at the floor like the white and grey tiles were more interesting suddenly. It was clear from her expression that she knew the statement was more to herself than to Aeris, "I suppose Ryuu still hasn't found me?"

The fox huffed, "Ryuu couldn't find his way out of a cave even if someone drew arrows in glow in the dark paint towards the exit."

It made her giggle but it was sadly very true. The dragon was directionally challenged when it came to damn near everything besides finding home. His inability to find anything did lead to comical displays and time wasted, "You're right sadly. Curry for dinner?"

Nodding the fox motioned for the pair to follow him as he had already gathered his mistress' things, "Life is never dull with you, Hime."

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of it." Her tone was sarcastic, and Aeris' expression seemed to hint that if she were capable of it, she'd do whatever she wished. Thankfully, the summoning seal was quite effective on her, so the Demon Lord wouldn't be able to do much of anything if she tried.

Crossing her arms, Aeris raised an eyebrow and listened to the banter between Yuhime and her foxy minion. Ever so slowly, her features shifted back to their normal form, even the black markings over her body seemed to slightly move. She couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at their teasing of this other Ayakashi. "This Ryuu sounds fascinating. I wonder how strong he is."

Not caring to disguise herself, Aeris followed behind Tomoe, letting him lead her to their dorm room. She'd mostly ignore any strange looks she got from the other students, but would frighten away some that pushed their luck a bit too much. After all, with Aeris' polymorphing powers, she had a wide variety of ways to spook a human.

Tomoe smirked at the way the demoness behind him teased the children in much the same way he did when he had the chance. Spooking them was always so easy and their reactions were down right amusing. One would have thought a bit of fox fire would have lost its touch after some hundred years of horror films and what not being in existence but apparently not. His tail swished back and forth while the nails of his hind paws clipped the floor lightly. Yuhime opened the front door to their little town house dorm with a slightly wary look about as she moved in.

A red clawed hand reached out and snatched the upper part of her arm sharply but without gouging the soft silk kimono top she wore or her delicate ivory flesh. A startled gasp escaped her as she was quickly pulled off to the left of the doorway and pinned to the wall as a growling voice demanded to know where the hell she had been. Ryuu wasn't known to be gentle, much less was he known to be kind or aware of the emotions of others.

The kitsune gave a sigh as he moved into the front walk ways and wiped his paws on the greeting mat, "We are home, Ryuu," He muttered in a monotone voice as he headed towards the kitchen, "I'm making curry. Make yourself at home Aeris. The mistress maybe a moment when she's done she will introduce you to the bonehead."

"I heard that you useless mutt!" Roared the dragon like man who still had Yuhime pinned the wall. Surprisingly the human girl didn't appear worries in the least as she blinked her silver blue yes up at the white haired being that stood a good head and a half above her. His long white hair was choppy, coming across wild and untamed. A pair of horns protruded from his temples the right one was broken making it about two inches shorter than the other one. Red scales framed his face along his hairline and the sides of his neck suggesting the covered the back as well. Only one of his hands seemed inhuman at the moment. He was dressed in heavy black and red robes with a katana wedged into the sash at his hip. His feet were bear and a gold anklet encircled his right ankle with four bells than jingled as he moved slightly. His eyes were golden irises on pools of black that gave off a feral appearance.

Those eyes became surprised as he glanced to Aeris then even more when his mistress reached up in his moment of detraction and grabbed the broken horn at the base pulling just hard enough to get his attention, "I don't need a baby sitter, Ryuu!" She yelled into his sensitive ear which caused him to quickly let go of her and pull away covering his ears, "Now be nice. This is Aeris. Aeris this bone head is Ryuu. He is my first contract."

The dragon made his way away from the lady and narrowed his eyes at the demoness before deciding to ignore her. He was going to go pout it would seem due to his little human bring another stray home to keep. The human rubbed her temples, "He'll warm up to you later."

Laughing heartily at her last scare, her expression changed from jolly to confusion when her Summoner was yanked off to the side as soon as the door to her dorm opened. She wasn't overly quick to react, not really feeling too concerned for Yuhime's well-being, but figured it was nothing to worry about, given Tomoe's similar lack of action.

Walking inside after being welcomed in by the kitsune, Aeris couldn't help but casually stare with a great interest at the sight in front of her. Ryuu wasn't anything like she imagined, given how the other two had spoken of him. "Man, Japanese demons are completely different than how I imagined."

Yuhime's actions of reasserting dominance amused the lady demon, and a small smirk cracked on her face. When her and the dragon-esque man were introduced, she'd simply give him a small wave and an impish smile. She didn't even react to him approaching her, then turning away without so much as a hello. She'd snark to Yuhime "I don't think he likes me," shortly before the Summoner made her comment. "We'll see, I suppose. Now, to sample your hospitality.." Aeris' smirk widened, and she made her way fully inside the dorm, shutting the door behind her.

FIN~

Last edited:
Back