1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. New and confused? Can't post? Looking for information regarding account approval? Check out our website guide to see if any of your questions are covered there! If your questions aren't covered under our guide, post them up in your introduction thread or the help forum.
  3. Want to feature one of your roleplays on the front page? See here for information: Featuring Roleplays Again! Accepting Submissions!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We are currently accepting applications for multiple staff positions. Check out our Site Announcements forum for details!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time for another voting drive! As with previous voting drives we will be sending out voting reminders once a day for the first week of a new voting cycle. This helps to get a good position in the top rankings early on. For people wanting to help out around the site but who can't necessarily contribute in other ways, this is a great way to help out. I can't understate how important voting is. Almost all of our traffic comes from TopRPSites, and when we aren't in the top rankings, we don't draw in new users. So get on in there and vote for Storyteller's Circle!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. So as some of you may already know, we're looking to get the website's platform updated to the newest version of Xenforo. The newer platform (Xenforo 2) comes with a lot of solid features and bug fixes from the original Xenforo. To reach this end we have setup a donation campaign for people interested in helping out.
    Dismiss Notice

1x1 The Answer

Discussion in 'Convergence In-Character Forums' started by Jeremi, Jan 25, 2019.

  1. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    The arrows hit its mark and the Queen shrieked in response before raising one of its massive legs to try and squash Yukari under it. Rubicante was still fighting against some stragglers and Sice knew she was too far away to do anything. "Yukari look out!"

    As this was going on smaller versions of the Mimics would drop from the Queen, four in total. The difference between these and the rank and the other rank and file was that they were crackling with electricity as they started to make their way towards what seemed to be a generator on the other side of the room.

    @Ver
     
  2. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    [​IMG]

    "Whoa!"

    Yukari let out a sharp gasp as the Queen diverted its attention to her, preparing for an aggressive counter. With some quick thinking, her eyes frantically scanning across the room and spotting the four smaller Mimics in the air, making their way across. Summoning Isis once again, her Persona valiantly floating next to her, Yukari prepared another Wind spell.

    "Magaru!"

    Though weaker than the other spells she'd cast before, it was still a sweeping one that affected a wide area, cast with the intent of blowing the four creatures right back at the Queen in order to distract her and keep her from attacking!

    @Jeremi
     
  3. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    That however appeared to be a bad move. Despite the little electricity they had managed to grab as the flew into the Queen she absorbed the energy inside of herself causing her entire body to surge with energy. The ensuing blast caused a powerful enough shockwave to knock the trio off their feet, Yukari could also feel her hair stand up from the electricity, on top of entire pain shooting through her body that is.

    Sice mumbled a string of curses under breath as she got to her feet. "Okay, I murder the little bugs. You and the demon kick the big ones ass." And with out another word Sice jumped into action trying to intercept the four before they could get back to the generators in the area.

    "Rambunctious sort," Rubicante replied off hand as he readied a fire spell towards the queen that looked like it was ready for round 2.
     
  4. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    "Eek!"

    Yukari let out a pained yelp as her maneuver backfired on her, stunning her for a good moment and leaving her wide open until Sice jumped into the fray. It took all the girl had for a small while to even be able to keep standing, panting heavily as though the wind were blown out of her, but now wasn't the time for that. She could rest later, even if she had to lie to her body that she could still keep going. Besides, after Tartarus, this certainly wasn't the first time she'd suffered from a bad shock!

    "N-Ngh... Probably a better idea..."

    Making a rapid recovery as best as she could, taking Sice's words into consideration, Yukari gripped her bow once again and dashed forward as far as her legs could take her. Employing a similar strategy as last time, the archer once again opted to flank the queen, taking her from the opposite side as Rubicante and firing some arrows at her, albeit this time making sure to stay out of its physical range.

    @Jeremi
     
  5. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    Seeing that Yukari was in pain Rubicante threw a healing spell her way that seemed to heal any wounds she had on herself before getting back to the target at hand and sending out what could only be described as a fire tornado engulfing one of the Queen's legs, allowing Yukari ample opportunity to fire shots at it as it tried its best to put out the flame.

    The arrows ringed true again and now they seemed to even draw blood, or whatever a creature like that had in it that could be considered blood. Perhaps some more well placed shots would be enough to fell the beast?

    Sice meanwhile was doing her best to eliminate the smaller bugs causing that dark aura to surround her again.

    @Ver
     
  6. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    "Eeh? Ah, t-thanks," Yukari said, nodding toward Rubicante when the man cast a healing spell. While she definitely did appreciate the gesture, it was strange to be healed like that, if only because it was almost the exact same sensation as being healed by a Persona. The more she seemed to interact with this man, the stranger he came off, but well, first things first.

    Following up on Rubicante's signal, the girl shot her arrows through the fire tornado, engulfing the tips in flames and allowing them to deal even greater damage as they flew toward the monster from there.

    Closing one eye to focus her accuracy, Yukari knew that they couldn't keep this going for much longer, and that they had to wrap this up soon, lest things might take a bad turn. With that, she fired another shot, calculating her trajectory carefully, hoping that her shot would yield a critical amount of damage like a lucky shot on an old Shadow.

    @Jeremi
     
  7. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    And like if the arrow was lead by divine intervention as the final arrow hit the Queen she let out one final shriek as it toppled over and fell silent. Any living Mimics scurried into the darkness, away from the killers of their Queen.

    "Nice shot." Sice walked up to Yukari once again engulfed in that dark aura from earlier. "Is that thing actually dead?"

    Rubicante had gone up to it and with a snap of his fingers its entire body was covered in flames. "Yes," Came his short and court reply. As the fire continued the entire structure suddenly started to shake before a passage emerged from the floor leading further down into the sanctum. "Fuck, guess we're not done yet with this place."

    Rubicante looked down the stairs. "I believe if one walks down those stairs they will find the source of the situation." He turned back to the face the two girls. "Are you bold enough to venture further in?"

    @Ver
     
  8. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    [​IMG]

    "Well... It's not like we have any other choice," Yukari simply replied to Rubicante after they'd managed to finally beat the queen for good, gripping her bow tightly like a security tool. Admittedly, there was some degree of apprehension in her voice; the prospect of continuing down a dark passage where all sorts of enemies could be waiting to attack her unnerved her a bit. It brought back memories of Tartarus, the Dark Hour, and those days from before.

    But perhaps that was all the more reason why she should be better equipped, physically and mentally, to handle this.

    With a bated breath, her legs began to move even if the rest of her body wasn't ready, carrying her forward. As she moved, deciding to try to lighten the mood, at least for herself, the girl looked back at Sice, an amused expression on her face.

    [​IMG]

    "I just realized... You called out for me when I was in danger. I didn't think you cared that much," she chuckled lightly, as though wanting to tease the aloof girl some.

    @Jeremi
     
  9. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    Sice tried to play it cool and brushed it off. "It was nothing. Just didn't want to be stuck alone with the demon."

    "My apologize then," Rubicante replied back. "I will stay with you two a while longer. Not because I question your abilities, but because I need to see this through to the end."

    "Not like we can tell you no. Either way; I'll take point." Sice proceeded to make her way down the stairs.



    As they continued down the scenery changed from the shady backrooms of a supermarket to something older. Stone and large roots entangled from the wall. Despite going further underground there was a faint light source from the bottom of the steps. Finally reaching the end the room opened up to a large room and those some tree roots nearly engulfing every inch of the walls.

    Looking around some more there seemed to be a faint mist gathering around their feet as well. "What is this place?"

    Rubicante said nothing, only pointing towards a path in the roots that would lead them further in. ​

    @Ver
     
  10. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    "If you say so," Yukari simply said with a self-satisfied smile on her face in response to Sice's gruff exterior, not buying it for a minute, but let it be for the time being, not wanting to drag it out needlessly.

    As they went on, the mood seemed to dower again as the group ventured into more unfamiliar territory. The deeper they went, the more it became apparent that this was no ordinary supermarket backroom. Then again, she shouldn't have expected as much in a town like this, but then, that was on her.

    [​IMG]

    "Who knows? But wherever this is, it sure gives me the creeps," Yukari responded to Sice, remaining cautious at every step as she followed her and Rubicante through the abyss.

    @Jeremi
     
  11. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    The tunnel became smaller and more tight the further in they went but soon enough they made it to the other side where what seemed to be some sort of large platform formed by the tree was waiting the lead them down further into a hole that was pulsating with a weird energy down at the bottom.

    "So how does this work?"
    Sice stepped on the large platform followed by Rubicante. "I know this isn't the end of this little c-" As all three stepped on the platform it suddenly rumbled to life and started making its slow descent.

    "An interesting contraption." Rubicante looked around as they continued downwards. "It would seem that this entire area is a hollowed out giant tree."

    "Whatever made you think that?" Sice snarked but before Rubicante could say anything in response they were interrupted by something snarling trying to get up on the platform.

    [​IMG]

    The creature roared at the trio and there seemed to be more trying to climb up. "Oh great," Sice twirled her scythe around. "Zombies."
    @Ver
     
  12. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    "?!"

    Yukari gasped softly in mild surprise as the platform began its descent, like an old-fashioned lift one could see in a military base... or at least, a movie about a military base. At least, that was all that came to mind as they stood there uneasily, vulnerable and open like this. She had little to add to the banter between Sice and Rubicante, but it was just as well as something quite unexpected happened.

    [​IMG]

    "Z-Zombies?!" Yukari gasped again, louder this time as they began to crawl up the platform. By pure instinct, the girl, perhaps befitting the schoolgirl-aged person she was, let out a yelp and hid behind Sice, gripping her outfit tightly in her hand. "Eek! Are they really...?!"

    Perhaps it was a contradictory thing for Yukari to be particularly scared of zombies, but hey, she was scared of ghosts too. Anything to do with the realm of the dead, remaining fixated in this world against their own will, unable to rest... That thought had always unsettled Yukari, and despite all the Shadows she'd faced and all the losses she faced, these sorts of creatures had always felt like the embodiment of her losses come back to taunt her or something to that degree.

    @Jeremi
     
  13. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM



    "Get your head in the fight!" Sice replied as she sliced one of them clean in half. "You just murdered a massive living box after all. What's a bunch of shambling rib cages to that?!"

    Rubicante seemed nonplussed as well as a few zombies came charging towards him only to be ripped to shreds by his fire fused claws. "Everything burns."

    The elevator ride down resulted in a battle royal against the undead as the trio did their best to not be overwhelmed by the onslaught, but between wind, fire and good old fashion slashing, they managed to overcome the obstacle and as the final zombie fell motionless to the ground the elevator stopped with a loud thud.

    Sice's aura had grown to its darkest shape yet as she tried to get some gunk off her scythe. "What a pain that was..." Stepping off the elevator they would find a staircase leading down. "What the heck is this place?"

    [​IMG]

    The green light they had seen before was shining even brighter now with the structure bellow them resembling a harp for some reason. "A curious place," Rubicante remarked as he looked over the edge. "I can sense a malicious presence, but it is hidden from my view."

    "Ten gil that this is the cause of all of that freaky mist happening on the outside."


    @Ver
     
  14. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    [​IMG]

    "R-Right, sorry!" Yukari exclaimed as Sice managed to snap her out of her mood, prompting her to play her part in the brief fight against the supposed zombies during their descent.

    Once they reached the next area, the girl was nearly at a loss for words upon seeing where they were next. Tartarus was one thing, but this was definitely something else. As always, the further they traversed, the more questions kept piling on, and the more questions ran through her mind, the more uneasy she felt. After all, that was one of humanity's most natural yet biggest fears; not knowing.

    "What, we found the big boss around here? I'll raise that bet if it turns out they're also whoever brought us here."

    ...

    "Also, really? Gil is the name of your money?"

    @Jeremi
     
  15. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    "Then you would lose that bet." A voice boomed around them before an large shadow descended from above fall down the edge only to come into view a few moments later.

    [​IMG]

    It resembled a twisted mockery of a tree and it looked down at the trio with interest. "I am Soul Cage and I have followed your path down to me. Futile, what do you seek in your endeavor?"

    "To kick your ass and get the hell out of here," Sice replied twirling her weapon around. "How does that sound?"

    Her response filled the Soul Cage with much mirth its chuckling reverberating in the area. "Why? I have done nothing but fulfill my function. Even here the mist must flow. But..." It trailed off. "It's a hollow gesture for my pu-"

    Sice cut it off. "Yeah yeah I just needed to hear that you are creating the mist."

    "Such arrogance from one so small. I have lived for thousands of years and you will not be the one to defeat me, but you will certainly try."

    @Ver
     
  16. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    "Wouldn't be my first rodeo with some ungodly old monster," Yukari said briskly, hiding that she was actually rather nervous, her legs threatening to quiver if she wasn't already used to this sort of thing by now. Seeing that there didn't seem to be much more to talk about, with this damn tree's intentions being made clear, the girl decided to morph her apprehension into determination, deciding to make the first move.

    [​IMG]

    "I don't know who's telling you to generate this mist, but I'll be sure to send them my regards too!" She exclaimed, and with that, swiftly shot an arrow, aiming for the Soul Cage's upper section, where he looked most vulnerable.

    @Jeremi
     
  17. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM



    Rubicante answered in kind with an attack of his own aimed at Soulcage. Flames engulfed his hands as he threw a fire spell towards the creature. A monster of bark and undeath shouldn't withstand fire for very long which would be correct as the top of the monster become engulfed in flames.

    However as a counter Soulcage shot blades enveloped in fire towards the trio. "Hahaha" Fool! Your attacks only make me stronger!" It gloated before firing more blades towards them.

    "Hmm, a miscalculation..." Rubicante mused aloud as he avoided the blades as best he could.

    "You think?!" Sice slapped one of the blades away with her scythe. "No way I'm getting close with it doing that! We need to stop the flames somehow!"

    @Ver
     
  18. Ver

    Ver Endearing Misanthrope Staff Member Moderator The Convergence Series GM

    "Gngh!"

    Also doing her best to evade the monster's counter-attack, Yukari kept her knees poised, ready to move again at any moment, eyes fixed on Soulcage intently. At Sice's words, like a signal, the girl nodded and through her force of will, summoned Isis once more, her Persona floating daintily next to her.

    "Magaru!" She exclaimed, casting her usual group Wind spell once again, hoping it would perhaps dispel the fire blades, as well as the fire atop Soulcage itself.

    @Jeremi
     
  19. Jeremi

    Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

    The heavy winds cut into Soulcage as well as extinguished the flames cutting it out to one of its strongest attacks in its arsenal. Though this meant that one of Rubicante's strongest weapons was a danger to them.

    The Archfiend of Fire however seemed nonplus about this and instead went in close to give the creature a swift punch sufficient enough to force a crack on its body. "This is not merely bark," Rubicante managed to say before Soulcage sent another attack towards him that enveloped him in an orange hue. While he didn't feel like he received any damage his following attack caused a splitting pain to go through his entire body and left him stumbling to his knee.

    "If one of you...had been hit you'd surely be dead, do not give it that satisfaction."
    Rubicante replied through gritted teeth before he was pushed away from Soulcage by a shockwave it generated.

    "Do you see?" Soulcage laughed. "Not even the strongest among you is enough to fell me!"

    "Who said he's the strongest among us?"
    Sice spat back sound insulted by the prospect. With weapon ready she rushed towards Soulcage unleashing the full strength of the malice she had accumulated in the battles before this to slash at the monster staying far enough away to have it focus all its attention on her rather than Yukari or Rubicante who still laid prone on the ground.
     

Share This Page