1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. New and confused? Can't post? Looking for information regarding account approval? Check out our website guide to see if any of your questions are covered there! If your questions aren't covered under our guide, post them up in your introduction thread or the help forum.
  3. Want to feature one of your roleplays on the front page? See here for information: Featuring Roleplays Again! Accepting Submissions!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We are currently accepting applications for multiple staff positions. Check out our Site Announcements forum for details!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time for another voting drive! As with previous voting drives we will be sending out voting reminders once a day for the first week of a new voting cycle. This helps to get a good position in the top rankings early on. For people wanting to help out around the site but who can't necessarily contribute in other ways, this is a great way to help out. I can't understate how important voting is. Almost all of our traffic comes from TopRPSites, and when we aren't in the top rankings, we don't draw in new users. So get on in there and vote for Storyteller's Circle!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. So as some of you may already know, we're looking to get the website's platform updated to the newest version of Xenforo. The newer platform (Xenforo 2) comes with a lot of solid features and bug fixes from the original Xenforo. To reach this end we have setup a donation campaign for people interested in helping out.
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction The bad, the bad, and the bad

Discussion in 'Side Story Archives' started by Jeremi, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jeremi

Jeremi Well-Known Member The Convergence Series GM

Chapter 1

It had been about three months since the Melding had ripped the world to pieces. Yosuke Hanamaru had found himself alone among the trees in a lush forest. Luckily despite this being the normal world, or what was now considered normal, he had the power to manifest his Persona. While it had helped to protect him from a few errant monsters it was a different thing when one of the bigger Wily Eggman alliance robots had descended down on him. He would have surely been captured had it not been for the untimely arrival of him.

"I build a nest of a beast in my heart. The fang is growling; Kill... Let's go kill. The fang is crying; Kill... Let's go kill. To calm it down, I have no way but slash men..." Uttered the man Yosuke came to know as Genjuro Kibagami. By all accounts he didn’t rescue the boy out of the goodness of his heart, it had only been in his way. Even so, Yosuke had latched onto the crazed samurai even though he soon found out how utterly detestable he was. In this world however you needed to attach yourself with someone, and with no Yu, Chie or even Teddie, his options were bare.

And that’s how they met the third party of the very dysfunctional group, Shinon the archer. Their original meeting had broken into a fight between the archer and the samurai over a drinking tab. The situation had been fixed by the utter destruction of the bar and being chased out of town by an angry mob. After this the unlikely unlikeable trio continued on. Yosuke assumed that Genjuro and Shinon had found kindred spirits in each other in how awful human beings they were, but considering he was tagging along with him…was he actually any better all things considered? Every bar they ended up in either a fight broke out, which more than often ended with someone dead, or Yosuke himself got rejected by some barmaid. Yosuke couldn’t quite understand that though, women loved him! He was good friends with a lot of them! Clearly it was just the situation surrounding the whole melding business that caused everyone to be on edge, right?

Shinon and Genjuro were also being really rude to him all the damn time, he could be helpful too! Not like they were doing all the work when they were traveling. It wasn’t his fault that horses were smelly and big and didn’t allow him to read them. The problem was after having traveled for as long as they had their coffers were starting to run dry and so another day and another drinking hole, this one situated in a somewhat modern looking town the trio were sitting around a table trying to figure out options. Or in this case Genjuro staring menacingly against the wall while Shinon shot down anything Yosuke took up.

“I’m just saying that if we’re going to survive we’re going to need money.” Yosuke tried for them to see reason but no one seemed to budge.

“Yeah if you’re an idiot,” Shinon replied. “For meat, I hunt. There are fruits and vegetables. Unlike you, I don’t need money to survive that, and I have enough money for a drink a bit longer.”

Yosuke groaned. “Because we’ve seen so much of that since we’ve been walking around this place! You caught one rabbit one week ago. After that we’ve seen nothing and whatever weird farmers we’ve found don’t want to share.”

“We can just steal supplies, not that they need everything. Our survival is a good cause.”

“We really can’t.” Yosuke slumped his head down on the table. This was getting them nowhere. He was so happy there was no one else in here right now or it would’ve ended up with more dead bodies. God, Yosuke wasn’t sure how many had been cut down by Genjuro’s temper. Speaking of he was part of this too so maybe…Yosuke looked up only to find Genjuro ordering a bottle of sake from the barkeep. As he got back to the table both Yosuke and Shinon looked at him with disbelief.

“How did you get that?” Yosuke replied a clear irritation in his voice.

“I thought you were out of gold!” Shinon echoed the high school students’ words.

“I lied,” Came the blunt response as Genjuro removed the cork and started drinking. “If I hear anything else from you I’ll cut you into ribbons.“

Yosuke glared daggers at him but he didn’t want to push it because he knew the samurai did not care one bit about anyone else but himself and his belongings slumped down even further in the chair. As Shinon and Genjuro argued on the question still remained. How were they going to get money to survive?

“Money problems huh?” A voice came from the corner of the bar. A hooded seemingly having materialized from thin sat at one of the tables. “Perhaps I can help you with that?”

“Get lost,” Genjuro snapped at him taking another swig from the bottle.

“Whoa, whoa hold on there!” Yosuke was desperate and he had to hear what the figure had to say. “Ignore him he’s just a little cranky, what could you help with, exactly?”

Yosuke tried to get a peek inside of the robe but the darkness was too much. It was a guy for sure though, no woman had that deep of a voice, and he should know being a ladies man like he was. “I have been looking for talented people in doing a job for me. I am ready to pay handsomely for your services.”

Yosuke wasn’t too sure about this and Genjuro had already stopped listening so it was up to Shinon to try and figure it out. “Well aren’t you in luck. As a mercenary work such as this isn’t unfamiliar with me. Who do you want me to kill?”

The robed figure chuckled. “Nothing so drastic, I only wish for you to retrieve a valuable item from a group of bandits stationed not too far from here. It has sentimental value you and sadly no one else has cared to listen to me.”

A stolen item and some bandits? Even Genjuro seemed interested now as his eyes went from the bottle to the robed figure. “We’ll do it.” The fact that Genjuro seemed so keen made Yosuke ill at ease. This was not going to end well.

Yun Lee likes this.
  2. Jeremi

Chapter 2

It was a dark and rainy morning when the trio set out from the small inn to deal with the assignment that was supposedly going to make them rich. Yosuke still had his doubts about it. A mystery guy not showing his face just asking for a small favor? Shinon and Genjuro seemed to ignore and fears for the time being due to how easy it seemed. Get an item, a locket, the robed figure explained once they had finally accepted it. Bandits had ransacked another nearby village that he was a resident of and had made off with a lot of valuables and the robed figure and the rest of the residents were willing to pay handsomely.

In the new melded world, technology was valuable especially in places where the rest of the population was from some sort of backwards medieval setting. Like Yosuke’s two travelling companions. Oh how he wished they’d agree to try some of the modern cleaning technology but alas, it was just something Yosuke had to live with. Even he was still holding on to his phone and headphones even though the battery tied ages ago. Yosuke was just hoping for the day he could ditch these two horrible people.

“Stop slacking behind there!” Yosuke woke from his daydreaming realizing he had fallen behind as Shinon shouted to him.

“S-sorry!” He ran up to the two looking at them with weary eyes before speaking. “So…what do you guys think of this whole deal, it’s kind of fishy isn’t it?“

Shinon shrugged. “Does it matter? We’re getting paid for what’s basically pest control.”

“Vermin that will stain my blade with red,” Genjuro replied offhand.

“Well, the guy said that it wasn’t that kind of assignment.” Yosuke helpfully pointed out only to be met by a murdering glare from Genjuro that immediately shut the boy up. Clearly the two minds were made up and there was no point in trying to change them. Yosuke had learned that the hard way before and he wasn’t about to do it again.

So the journey continued onwards into a thick and lush redwood forest. While the melding had caused some strange geographical combinations like a desert in the middle of a lake or an old castle emerging in the middle of a bustling metropolis this place seemed untouched by any weirdness. It kind of reminded Yosuke of those nature documentaries about America. That wasn’t too weird of a thought considering he was here after all. As walked on Shinon stopped mid talk and drew his bow which caused Yosuke to pull out his knives as well. “What’s wr-”

He was quickly shushed by Shinon who fired off an arrow into the trees from where they could hear a squeal as something fell dead at their feet. Yosuke couldn’t really tell what it was but it seemed like a monkey with white fur and a pig snout. “What’s that?” The highschool student asked going in for a poke before Shinon grabbed the creature by the arrow and shoved it into his sack.

“Food.” Well Yosuke was going to protest but it had a snout so…maybe it’ll taste like pork? It didn’t take long however before the treetops above them started to shake even more violently before a literal stream of these creatures descended down on the trio.

“Tsk, more vermin.” Genjuro pulled his sword and sliced towards the attacking horde of monkey creatures.

“Persona!” From behind Yosuke a peculiar looking figure called a Persona emerged. A manifestation of a Persona user’s personality. For Yosuke his Persona was that of Jiraiya a character from Japanese folklore. Using his powers Yosuke sent out a fierce gust of wind that slice some of the creatures to ribbons. Shinon was doing his part loading arrows into anyone that came too close. It however came apparent quite early on that they were going to be overrun by this wild monster unless they. “Run away!” Yosuke was the first to book it using his Persona’s magic to cut a path for himself. Shinon and finally Genjuro realized the situation too and made a hasty retreat. With that started a mad chase where the trio tried to stay ahead as a screaming horde of monkey’s came running after them from above as well as behind them. Shinon did his best to get rid of a few of them with his arrows but there was just too many of them and running was the only option they had. Even with Genjuro slicing a redwood tree clean at its base didn’t deter the screeching critters to continue the chase. Yosuke was ready to start writing his will then and there when suddenly, a clearing. The trees were giving way and they were met by a fiery breeze and sand. Loads and loads of sand. The lush forest had made way into a dry savannah and the sun was starting to set in front of them. The monkeys as well had seemed to finally stop their chase at the edge of the forest continuing their screeching but continuing no further.
    Yosuke was breathing heavily and trying to catch his breath. “We…made…it…”

“We did…” Genjuro replied not really like he had been through an intense chase other than a few sweat drops on his brow. “It seemed the tenacity of these stupid animals could only hold for so lo-” The ground started to shake violently which caused the monkeys to retreat back into the forest as two giant worms emerged from the sands bellow ready to feast on the trio.

“Who’s up for dinner?” Shinon quipped as he readied his bow and fired.

Yun Lee likes this.
  3. Jeremi

Chapter 3

The rain had subsided and night had fallen. The trio was sitting around a fire with the now-dead sandworms laying around them. If anyone else tried something funny they’d know about it. Despite having to fight the two giant worms the trio looked to alright, though no one was in high spirits, especially Yosuke. Weird plans. Murderous monkeys and now giant worms bursting from the sand. If things had been bad before they had now gone to worse. Shinon was roasting the dead monkey that started it all over the fire. Despite their tough-guy exterior no one seemed inclined in trying to eat of the worm meat. Some things were perhaps too much even for someone like Genjuro.

“I don’t like this,” Yosuke mumbled, but neither Shinon nor Genjuro seemed to hear him. “I said. I don’t-“

“Yes, brat,” Genjuro shot at him. “I’ve heard you and I don’t care to continue listening to your complaining.”

“Much as I don’t want to agree with him he’s right,” Shinon replied in turn. “A mercenary can’t decline every shitty job coming ones way. You got to survive somehow.”

Yosuke hated it when they talked to him like a child. “I know that! But what if we’re heading into a trap or something?”

Genjuro pulled out his sword and slashed at the air. “Then they will taste my blade.”

Shinon just shook his head. “Don’t be so paranoid. This is a new world with new possibilities. We have not made a foe that could hold a grudge. Genjuro has made sure of that. Calm your hysterics and let us do what needs to be done. Perhaps when this is done we can split the share and never see each other again.”

Wouldn’t that be nice? Yosuke thought to himself as dinner was done. He didn’t care to continue speaking with either of them and as the final monkey bit vanished into his mouth Yosuke laid down on the harsh ground and went to sleep.

Morning came and the hot glistening sun shone down on Yosuke. They quickly packed the little they had and crawled over their meaty makeshift barrier and continued on into the savannah. Yosuke wasn’t sure if they had met this harsh climate before all of this but the sun was starting to get to him. He really wished that he had a hat on right now. Yosuke hoped they’d have enough water as well because they wouldn’t survive long if they didn’t have anything to drink. Lucky for them it seemed like their target was coming up on the horizon. The strange hooded figure had said there was a bandit stronghold in the area that headed out stealing from poor travelers and villages in the area.

They sneaked behind a rock formation when they got close enough. The structure looked old for Yosuke’s standards so it meant it was probably filled with something from Genjuro’s time with horses and swords. That’s good, it means they didn’t have to worry anything. After all, they were only after that locket, or whatever it was. They didn’t have to kill anyone they didn’t want to. With this crowd though. Yosuke looked over to Shinon and Genjuro and shook his head. He hoped this would go smoothly.

“Seems like there are not many guards around,” Shinion replied. “Even so probably best for us to wait until night falls again before making our way in there. We have shade from the sun over here so we will manage for a few hours.”

“Hmph! It doesn’t matter to me,” Genjuro replied in his pompous way. “All will still cut to ribbons by my blade.” And with that, the trio waited for nightfall to sneak into the bandit lair. Their task was soon going to be finished. One way or another.

Yun Lee likes this.