Ame Damnee The Banquet Hall

Rue

Acting Maniac
Stretching back a good fifty feet, this lavish banquet hall is adorned with many marvelous chandeliers and is able to seat about two hundred different guests at the ludicrously large table the sits in the center. Stained glass windows line the wall opposing the entrance to the room, concealing the outside with artist's renditions of the story of Aditi and Lucifer's creation of the world.

Micah - Banquet Hall
Micah continued to hover nearby as the officers' voices became louder and louder with each passing moment. Apparently, there was a disagreement as to whether the Wardens should be called or not. However, as there was a loud crash heard from a distance, everyone fell silent. The intruders had already made it into the palace. The General suddenly slammed his hands down on the table before beginning to stalk to the other end of the banquet hall, leaving the other officers behind. "Soldier," he said, beckoning Micah without so much as even turning his head, "Come with me."

Micah stood still for a confused moment before awkwardly dashing over to catch up with the General. "Sir?"

Once the General had reached the farthest corner of the virtually empty banquet hall, he turned to Micah, his expression grim. "I need you to inform the Wardens of what's happened here," he started.

"Yes sir," Micah replied breathlessly with a salute, already moving to follow the order.

"Stop." The General cut him off, raising his hand. "There's something else."

Micah stopped mid-step and turned to face his superior once more. His eyes were curious, but also hesitant, dreading what the General could possibly tell him. The man looked over at his fellow officers for a few seconds before shifting his somber gaze back to Micah. "Given how quickly the enemy has infiltrated our guard, it's unlikely that you'll be able to reach the Wardens in time."

"Sir, I'm very fast-"

"Soldier!" Micah fell silent at the General's reprimand, his eyes lowered in shame. "If you'd let me finish," the General continued. Micah nodded.

"I don't expect you'll reach the Wardens before the palace has been taken, at which point myself, and all the officers in this room will be dead. In the event that happens, I need you to deliver something to the Wardens. A code to a safe located in a hidden room beneath the palace. The contents of this safe is crucial for the Wardens to retake the palace from these insurrectionists, but they do not have the code. Can you do this?"

Micah looked at the General's eyes; he saw the determination, the resolve, and the willingness to die for his cause. Micah took a deep breath. "Yes."

"Good," the General replied. Micah listened intently as the man relayed the code to him, making sure he committed it to his memory perfectly. When he was finished, Micah looked up at the General, his eyes round with worry. "Sir... What if I get caught?"

The General placed his hands on Micah's shoulders and looked him straight in the eyes. "Then this secret dies with you, Soldier. This information is necessary for the Wardens, but it would be better for it to be lost than to have it fall into enemy hands."

Micah nodded with understanding, his face determined. With that, the General turned to go back to the other officers, but not before the young guard spoke up one more time: "Sir. Why me?"

The General paused a moment before answering. "Because you were here."

Jonathan Gold - Crashing Through the Banquet Hall Window

The sudden crashing of glass diverted the attention of everyone in the room as a man with black hair down to his neck and a chin strap beard appeared in the center of the hall, a broken stained glass window behind him. The man looked to the officers and gave them a bit of a cocky grin. "Gentlemen, the cavalry has arrived!" He said in his most cliché action hero voice. The man didn't even seemed fazed by the cuts he'd gotten on his arms from breaking through that glass as he made his way towards the group, the five Wardens he'd brought slowly climbing through the makeshift entrance he had made.

"My name is Jonathan Gold, the Royal Spymaster. To update you, the king is dead and the Wardens have a massive force entering the palace currently to crush these intruders once and for all. I need an update on what's happened everywhere else and if there's anything left that is important to keep out of enemy hands." His voice was filled with an authority that he rarely showed, for all of his joking around, he knew when a situation needed to be taken seriously.

Micah - Banquet Hall
The silence that fell on the room after the man broke through the window was both relieving and terrifying to Micah. He had just been about to leave the room when it happened, but he froze in his steps at the sudden interruption. Certainly a better soldier wouldn't have stopped, but Micah was too young, too inexperienced not to panic at unexpected senarios.

The officers, however, not so much. The General took command of the situation immedately. He briefed the Spymaster with an efficiency only a military man could. Micah stayed where he was, watching to whole situation with round eyes. So, did this mean he wasn't leaving? If the palace was saved... Wait, did that mean he actually did his job?

As Micah tried to make sense of it all, he was quite content to be completely ignored by everyone else in the room.

Jonathan Gold - Banquet Hall

Jon listened intently to the entire situation as it was laid out before him. These men were committed to die for the cause and for that they should be commended, and this mysterious safe could help them save as many lives as they still could in the coming battle. He quickly formulated a plan in his mind.

"Alright. Officers, my fellow wardens, I suggest you head to the throne room and help the others, we need every man on hand to take down this force. You, Micah was it?" He said turning to the young lad who'd been handed the information. "You and I shall head to the secret room and unlock the contents of the safe. If these men haven't finished off the force by the time we get back, then whatever is in there will help to finish them off. Stay close to me, and if we get caught, teleport out of the castle and run for the safety of the city. Even if they're retreating, we cant give this enemy any advantage. Do you understand?"

Micah - Banquet Hall
Micah jumped, then stood up straighter when the man addressed him suddenly. "I mean, my teleportation doesn't actually- Uh, I mean, yes. Sir?"

Was "sir" the proper title for a Spymaster? He didn't even know. Of course it was "sir," everyone's title was "sir." Unless you were a lady...

The General nodded in response to Jon, leading his men out of the hall and into the Foyer with the Wardens hot on his trail. This left just Jon and Micah alone in the Banquet hall. The kid was nervous, Jon could see that very clearly, but he couldn't blame Micah either. He put a friendly hand on his shoulder. "Relax, son. You're with a professional sneaker now. Stick with me and follow my instructions and everything should be fine. Now lets go." He said taking off for the Foyer and indicating for Micah to follow.

Micah - Banquet Hall
Relax. Yeah. Simple. I mean, there's just an army outside the doors, no big deal. Micah took a breath. "Right," he said with an exhale.

Sneaking wasn't exactly his thing. Sure, he was small and light on his feet, but he didn't exactly have the reputation for being a quiet person, (nor a particularly graceful one in most situations). In fact, even now he could feel words piling up on the tip of his tongue, and if he opened his mouth for a second they would all come spilling-

"Since when did we have a Spymaster? Does that mean there are more of you? Well, not you in particular, but, you know, other spies. What do you do anyways? Like, do you spy everywhere, or just in New Eden? Hang on, does that mean you knew about these guys before they attacked, or are you just bad at your job? Wait, no, that came out wrong! Not bad at your job, I just mean... Not... Very... Observant?" The words finally wound down, his voice reduced to practically a whimper by the end. Oh gosh, that was stupid. Please don't kill me.

His foot was halfway out the door of the Banquet Hall when he heard Micah's outburst. The words he said stung, as there was a bit of truth to them. Maybe if he was better at his job, these invaders wouldn't have made it into the castle in the first place, and the king would still be alive. But Jon shook those thoughts off as he went back to address the young lad.

"I'm the only Spymaster that New Eden has, as such it's currently impossible for me to keep track of places outside the city limits so I just spy in New Eden. I've been in service to our late king for close to a decade now, the reason you haven't heard of me is because I cant do much effective spying if the whole army knows the king has a spy. As for the attack, who said I didn't know about it?" The guilt was obvious in his voice.

"This attack was orchestrated by the New Eden Underground. They've been running illegal activities below the city for centuries, but they stayed out of the way so we let them do what they wanted. That was until this past afternoon, when one of my contacts came to me, informing me that our own Taran Caelus Titan was a spy for the underground and, using his intel, were planning on attacking the palace. I brought this to his highness' attention, but with half of the Wardens gone to search for Aditi's Plume, including our Grandmaster Raakshdos, and no real time frame for the attack, we had little means of building a defense in time for the attack. Do you have any other questions, or are you ready to help put an end to this attack?"

Micah - Banquet Hall
Micah felt guilty for saying what he had. An unguarded tongue was his bane, among other things. Determined not to slip up like that again, he closed his lips tight and shook his head. Any more questions, and they'd probably never get out of here. Not trusting himself to speak again, he nodded toward the door, indicating that the Spymaster should lead the way.

Back