Fanfiction The Beast Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremi

The Convergence Series GM
Chapter 1

Dimitri had lost track of how long he had been lost in the woods. Then again…the last five years before had all been a haze of fury and rage. Imprisoned for fake charges of regicide and the death of his best friend and vassal in the ensuing escape.

The former crown prince hadn’t even noticed the Melding if for the fact that the imperial soldiers he had been slaughtering ever since his escape had suddenly stopped when he found himself in a forest he had never seen before with monsters even known on Faerghus’ shores. In his current state, he wasn’t really capable to grasp the situation he now found himself in.

As it stood though none of it mattered. Revenge was the only thing on Dimitri’s mind as he traveled the world. If this really was a new world, that might mean that Edelgard was here without her kingdom. Defenseless. Vulnerable. Ready to be skewered by his spear for the pain she had caused. The devastation she had wrought by her actions.

A primal scream echoed through the forest as Dimitri sliced a large menacing green bee-like with a buzz saw on its back in two. It had been a few days since his arrival here and it felt like most of everything in this forest was hostile, but that suited Dimitri just fine. Whipping of the gunk from his spear Areadbhar the heroic relic, he continued on moving through the large redwood forest he found himself in. It was an odd mixture of tropical jungles and more typical woods. During some of his times of lucidity, Dimitri wondered if he had stumbled into Brigid by mistake but that too at the end of it mattered little. Then as he walked he heard something. Screams and shouts of panic echoed in front of him. Was it an attack by the Imperial army?

The crown prince quickened his steps and soon found the forest making way to an open road. On it he noticed a child and their mother being assaulted by big humanoid monsters with big clubs. “Please let us go!” The mother pleaded. “We are just poor travelers.”

“You sayin’ we ain’t!” One of the monsters bellowed slapping its belly. “Us trolls ‘ave it ‘ard too you know! Why we ‘aven’t eaten fresh ‘uman’s for days! But you and your little girl,” The troll chuckled before licking its lips as the other two trolls laughed. “We’re goin’ to ‘ave some fine dinin’ toni- hurk!”

The troll didn’t have time to finish as a giant hole emerged through its stomach sending blood and guts flying towards the mother and her daughter as the troll fell lifeless to the ground with a heavy thud. The mother screamed in shock at the brutality as the two other trolls that surrounded them turned to find Dimitri standing behind them, his arm a deep red from where he had punched the now dead troll. “Be gone monsters, lest you wish to end up like your compatriot.”

One of the trolls growled and readied its club only to suddenly find itself club less and armless as it laid motionless next it. It looked on in shock at its stump as it keeled over with both of its legs being cut clear off. The third troll only looked on in shock and amazement at the blond man’s work as he finished off the other troll with a spear hit in the back of its head. He was just a normal human, right? At the moment he wasn’t more than a wild beast with murderous intent as Dimitri with one swipe of Areadbhar cut the final troll vertically in half. Before its upper half even had time to slid off he now turned his attention to the mother and daughter. “You’re safe now…” His face was as much covered in blood as the rest of them and the mother looked on with fear in her eyes in their savior.

“T-Thank you,” She finally managed to stammer out when she realized that Dimitri wasn’t going to hurt them as well. “W-We have been trying to escape. Our home. Our home is gone ever since the Melding.”

“The what?” The woman looked at Dimitri like he had two heads. Explaining all that had happened...

"Would you follow us to our village?"

Chapter 2

Dimitri had a hard time grasping what the woman was telling him. Other worlds merged. Different monsters and humans from these worlds coming together? It sounded like the ramblings of a mad man but…the things he had seen during his times of lucidity…Perhaps she was telling the truth. He had been wandering alone in the woods for such a long time thinking he was back in his world.

The woman and her child explained as best they could as they wandered down the road back to their village. Soon enough it came into view in the horizon.

In its world, its world it was called Kilika Village, a bustling port town that housed a lot of commerce. Where it had once been stationed next to a vast ocean now there was only a lake overlooking some sort of vile looking thing they called factories that seemed to spew all kinds of poisonous things from their chimney’s as well as into the water. The shore was far enough that it had not affected Kilika but the locals were warned to not venture too close to the factories unless they wanted to be shot at.

That did not matter to Dimitri…he wasn’t even quite sure why he had decided to follow them back to their village. The only thing on his mind was revenge. Revenge on Edelgard and for what she had done to him. Though it dawned on him rather quickly, in this new world, how would Dimitri find her? Who knew if Fodlan existed here much less Enbarr. The woman said that they could use his help for something. As they entered the outskirts of the town, the woman stopped and gave Dimitri a bow. “Thank you once again for saving us! I’m sorry I can’t help you with your journey, but perhaps Donna knows something?”

“And where can I find this, Donna?” Dimitri asked as the woman, still drenched in troll blood from before, pointed to one of the huts in the area.

“You’ll usually find her over at her place. After the Melding she kind of became our leader to try and calm things down, especially after we got a lot of new neighbors too!”

“I see…” As he about to head towards the cabin, the daughter proceeded to give him a hug before he could get further.

“Thank you for rescuing us!” Dimitri still only had a dull expression in his eyes as he watched the two head off. In the past, he might have been glad for such show of affection, but he felt hollow inside only being fanned on by the flames of rage. Keeping in mind what the woman had said Dimitri made his way towards the hut.

Not even bothering to knock or garner any attention Dimitri stepped into the hut and looked around. “Excuse me?” A woman’s voice rang out catching Dimitri’s attention.

“Who gave you permission to enter my house?” Dimitri did not peg this woman as a leader through her voice had a certain authority to it. She seemed like a person who liked bossing people around.

“Are you Donna?” Dimitri asked brusquely.

latest

“Who wants to know?” Donna put her hands on her hips as Dimitri explained briefly, why he was there.

“Well I thank you for saving them,” She finally said, though she hadn’t warmed up to him just yet. Donna eyed him for quite a long time before she spoke up again. “Maybe you can help us with our problem. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the animals around the village have been quite vicious.”

Dimitri had felled quite a number of beasts during his wandering in the forest. “Perhaps, but they have fallen to my blade just the same.”

“Well,” Donna decided to file that for later. “We’ve found out the cause of it is a monster. A large vicious beast that has set up home not too far from the village. And we’ve found out…it doesn't want to share.”

Dimitri knew exactly where this was going. “So, you wish me to kill it?”

“You are clever,” Donna chuckled. “Yes, but not alone. We have a few people that have been waiting on the opportunity to help us and. Wait where are you going?”

Dimitri was already halfway through the door as Donna called out to him. “I don’t need anyone else. Just tell me where this beast is and I’ll slay it for you.”

“Look I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I can’t just let you go at it al-”

“Either you tell me where this beast is or I continue my journey. The choice is yours.” Donna sighed but it seemed like this was the only option open for her and so she told the one-eyed prince what he wanted to know. He was going to fell this beast or die trying.​

Chapter 3

Donna had protested a bit more even after telling Dimitri what he wanted to know but it hadn’t dissuaded him. If they wanted this monster killed he’d do it alone. He didn’t need anyone else. The only blood being spilled was from his opponents and nothing else. His journey had brought him from the lush forests and jungles from earlier to a more mountainous and barren land. Was this due to the Melding? The sudden shift in terrain hadn’t registered to him until he had already traveled a bit on the path.

Getting a bit further along Dimitri heard a roar before a beast jumped in his way. It looked like some sort of wolf-like creature but the prince could tell that there was something wrong with it. There were discolorations over its body leaving it with a grim purple hue as well as glowing red eyes. Before he could do anything the beast snarled and leaped at him like in a murderous frenzy.

Dimitri barely managed to get his spear up for the beast to bite down on it instead of his flesh. The beast was ravenous. Snarling uncontrollably as it tried to get its fangs on him. With a twirl and a lift, Dimitri sent it flying over him far enough for it to not latch unto anything and plummeting to its death. Not even bothering to look behind him Dimitri continued. This had not been the first beast he had met that acted like this. The same purple and those shining red eyes. Was this the cause of the sickness that Donna had mentioned? It seemed to make any animal lose its mind and attack indiscriminately. Like they were filled by some sort of unstoppable rage.

The irony of the situation went totally over Dimitri’s head though, he was, after all, a man. Not a beast. His rage was justified, aimed towards a person he had thought was, if not a friend, at least an ally in the struggle to keep their world safe. Instead, she had been the cause for all of his suffering. A monster shaped like a girl. His grip on Areadbhar got tighter. Because of her Dedue…

No. Her time would come. He would not rest until her head was resting on his spear. His rage-induced haze subsiding Dimitri finally noticed that he was getting close. The little vegetation that had been around seemed to have withered and died leaving only behind black spots in the rocks. Was this the cause of the sickness or the monster itself? Either way, he continued on.

An area surrounded by cliffs and a cave in the rock face opened up to him. This was its lair. Dimitri was sure of it. He didn’t have to wait long to get his suspicions confirmed as a roar from inside the cave a purple smoke seemed to constantly be exhuming from the opening of the cave. Soon the monster made its presence felt.

latest

The only way Dimitri could describe it was that of a dragon. It was like nothing Dimitri had seen before, putting the wyverns from his world to shame. It felt more apt to compare it to the form that Lady Rhea had taken before. Before…

“I have come to slay you. Foul beast.” He didn’t expect a response but he said it out loud anyway. The dragon looked at him with interest before he readied Areadbhar and charged causing the dragon to roar again and charge as well. Dimitri knew that any blow from this thing could be fatal as he ducked under the swipe of its claws and sliced at its leg, drawing first blood and the ire of the beast. There didn’t seem to be much sense behind its attacks. Like the sickness, it sent out it was only a beast fueled by uncontrollable rage. The dark virus seemed to come out from its very pores as they fought. It leaped back before firing a dark purple orb of energy that Dimitri barely managed to dodge only to be blindsided by the swipe of one of its claws.

As Dimitri tumbled to the ground with enough to crack the side of the cliff as he hit it he realized that despite it seeming controlled by pure rage. It was cold and calculating and had started to see through his defenses. On top of that, he had started to feel week. His wounds ached far more than they should.

He thought that being human protected him from the virus, but it would seem that it affected him in a different way. There was nothing else to do though but fight on. The beast was almost on top of him as he stabbed his spear through its foot causing it to howl out in pain and anger allowing him enough time to get to his feet.

His strength was all but gone however and the dragon attacked once again charging at him with its horns. It seemed like its plan was to fling him over but instead, Dimitri’s cape got stuck on one of its horns as both of them careened off the side of the cliff. The dragon spread out its wings as Dimitri's mind raced. What could he do? He was practically helpless as the dragon whipped its head forward to fling him towards its maw. With the last of his strength, Dimitri cut himself free from his cape sending him into a free fall to the forest bellow.

I’ve failed you. Dedue…I’m so-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back