The Campaign (1x1 w/ @ShadowCoyoyte0)

othyrworld

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat
Tamryn couldn't believe he'd gotten thrown in jail! And for helping out people of the town no less! He was outraged (And also a bit horrified that the city government had thrown him into jail for killing rats without a permit. He shouldn't need a permit to help people! Sometimes he wondered how these places survived.). Plus, the guards had been rude and way too mean, and he was sure they'd left big fat bruises all over his forearms.

And jail usually wasn't that bad because the company was the best. In his experience, jail people were the most entertaining people ever. They told great stories, let you worry about the things they may or may not have done, and sang dirty songs way too loud to annoy the guards. Sadly, the people in this jail seemed far less exciting. There were a dwarf and a human, both sitting quietly in the corner. Tamryn hadn't tried speaking to them because they gave off a pretty bad vibe, but he was really bored and willing to give it a try.

He hesitantly scooted up to the human, guessing a member of his own species would react better to him. "So... How'd you get thrown in here?"

Garret sat quietly in the corner, glaring at Orsik and him glaring back. A "perfect" heist gone to shit because of a lack of information, or moreso false information. The dwarf was both his closest friend and worst nightmare. He really skrews up, but when ge does, its pretty fucking costly. When the third prisoner approached him, Garret was a bit surprised. Was this man really engaging in small talk? Nonetheless, Garret humored him and grinned. "Ah, it's a great story really, but I'll go ahead and get to the point. There's a rich fellow around here, prides himself on the expensive artifacts he owns. We figured he doesn't need all of that shit, so we went to...fuck it, we went to steal some of them. However, the Dwarf with an ass for a face over there had faulty information on the guy! We had guards out the ass and we got caught."

That's when Orsik started yelling with a booming voice. "Oh, so it's my fault then? Well listen 'ere ye little princess. I don't pay ye for half-arsed burglary! Besides, how I was supposed to know some scrawny rich arsehole had his own little army?! If I had known, I would've hired more men!" Orsik then looked to the stranger and smiled. "Hey you, ye look like you can handle yourself. Want a job when we get out of here? I'm sure you'd be better than that little feck-up over there."

Tamryn smirked to himself because, yes, these were the prison people he was used to. Apparently, all you had to do was make some polite conversation and people let the craziness spill out of them. He wasn't quite sure if the dwarf was being serious when he offered a job, but he was never one to turn down someone in need, especially if he got to mess with some petty little lordling. "Sounds like tons of fun! Well, except for the whole getting arrested part, but whatever, I'll totally help you guys out. The nobility in this town is, like, soooooo stuck up. I got arrested for not having a permit to help some people out! A fucking permit! Can you believe that?"

He fully sat down next to the human guy because it wasn't like he had anything else to do. Hopefully, he would only have to give up a little gold and not escape from jail again. Escaping from jail was way too tiring, and if he did escape he could never return to the town again, which would suck. Besides the nobility, the people here were awesome. And this had his favorite store ever. He was disturbed from his thoughts when an elf woman was thrown into the cell. She seemed oddly calm for someone who had been forced into a cold dark cell, but some people were just quirky. He waved enthusiastically at her with a smile on his face, and she gave him a brief smile in return. She looked really familiar for a reason he couldn't place.

She stared at the backs of the retreating guards, whispering 'oh dear' quietly to herself when she took stock of the situation. When she looked over him more closely, recognition lit up her face. "Tamryn, is that you?" Suddenly, he remembered her.

"Oh my god, Lanaai! Is that you?" She nodded and he practically squealed, jumping up to give her a hug. He looked her over at arm's length, shockingly happy for someone who was sitting in a jail cell. "I can't believe you're hanging around here. These are my friends, Dwarf and Human." He motioned to the two figures sitting behind him.

Last edited:
Garret and Orsik both raised a brow at each other. This guy seemed rather excited to be in jail. They looked even more confused for the reason he was in. Orsik was the one to speak his mind officially though. "Erm, what kind of help exactly? You pulling the old "doctor" card? I'd argue a permit would be reasonable fer that."

While Orsik vocalized his suspicions, Garret examined the cell for a way to escape. The lock on the cell door wasn't anything too advanced, it'd be easy to pick with something. There was nothing in the cell with them, and him and Orsik were stripped of their belongings. Perhaps the human had something on him that they could use. When Orsik finished his little rant, Garret chimed in. "I'm sure it's nothing like that. And for you...the work is sort of fun. So long as you..." Before he could finish, the guards threw in another prisoner, this time it was a she-elf. It wasn't long before the human and elf recognized each other. It was weird how each person knew someone else in the cell.

Orsik smiled and stood up, slicking his hair back and dusting off his beard. "Aye, me names Orsik, and it's a pleasure to meet ye lass." Garret rolled his eyes and stood in front of the dwarf. "I know his beard is tempting, but he's not the most loving type. My name is Garret. Now if we plan on getting out of here, I'm gonna need you names, your trust, and something pointy."

Lanaai kept her expression blank as she turned to the dwarf and human. She almost forgot they were there, too caught up in the joy of being reunited with one of her dear friends. She nodded her head in acknowledgment of their words but didn't speak. A response would be a waste of energy better used to escape, energy they would clearly need based on the solid walls of the cell. Tamryn frowned at the idea that he would fraudulently help people but eventually decided to set it aside because these were new friends and he couldn't expect them to know much about him yet.

"I didn't pull a 'doctor card'" He pouted, putting up air quotes around the words doctor card. "I just helped this lovely little farm family kill some of the rats that were eating all their crops! Then a couple soldiers got called in and plopped me in jail. They were mean, too. I'll probably have bruises on my arms for ages!" He rubbed his forearms emphatically. Lanaai was exhausted just listening to him. She'd forgotten how much Tamryn could talk, especially when he was trying to befriend people. She was almost relieved when the Dwarf- Orisk, he told her, and the human- Garret, began speaking.

Tamryn seemed embarrassed that he hadn't introduced himself, though you would never guess it if you did not know him. "Oh Gods! I can't believe I didn't introduce myself! I'm Tamryn Mnemoskof, and this is my friend Lanaai!" He searched his pockets quickly, but all he could pull out were a few silvers and a pot of ink. "This is all I've got! Sorry guys."
Lanaai realized that the guards had not searched her when she entered the cell, so she quickly rifled through her pockets. From one she pulled a sharp silver hairpin that had belonged to someone she had helped on the journey into town. She pulled it out and presented it to Garret with a mildly pleased expression. "I will not pledge you my trust, but you may borrow this for a time."

Last edited:
Garret took the pin with a smile. "Thank you, I'll take great care not to damage it." The she-elf didn't seem to talk much, and he respected that. Garret for one liked his peace and quiet. Meanwhile, Orsik was blabbering on over the the human's name. "Tamryn...Mne....meh...fecking hell that's a mouthful. Feck it, I'm calling ye Tammy from now on. Consider yourself lucky, I don't give nicknames very often." While it wasn't a complete lie, Orsik often have nicknames to people whose names where odd to him. He turned to Lanaai with a cheeky grin. "Lanaai was it? Beautiful name. Tell me, what's a lass like ye doing in a place like this?"

Garret chimed in while working on the lock. "She's not here to flirt with your old crusty ass Orsik!" That damn dwarf was insufferable at times, but he was family. With a rather silent click, the lock was open. He handed the pin back to Lanaai, still in perfect shape. "We could leave whenever we want. How do we want to handle this?"

Tamryn's smile darkened when Orisk attempted to say his last name but quickly regained his typical cheer. Lanaai gave Tamryn a look that said 'These are the people you've chosen to befriend?" with a tinge more animosity than he thought was necessary. He'd nearly forgotten how adept she was at communicating through looks and eyebrow movement. He shrugged. They seemed like interesting people, and he loved making friends. "Thanks, Orisk, that's so nice! And Garret: We should avoid hurting the guards because they're only doing their jobs! It would be so nasty to hurt them just for defending their town even if the laws here are a bit silly."

Lanaai frowned in dissent, clearly disagreeing with Tamryn "I disagree. Speed is of the essence if we wish to escape before we are discovered. Hurting the guards may be necessary." She ignored Orisk's questions, more focused on the impending escape from jail. If they were going to escape successfully, they would need to be quick and quiet, and she doubted Tamryn and Orisk could be either. She did know some simple magic, so she may be able to disguise their footsteps if she needed to.

Garret shook his head at Tamryn; he was too soft for his own good. "These guards will toss beggers who steal half a loaf of bread into a cell until they rot. I don't care if they're following orders, they need a morality check. Frankly, I don't care if I cause them harm, but I don't intend on killing them. Lanaai is right, we need to be quick and stealthy. I don't know about Tamryn, but Orsik isn't very stealthy." The dwarf snorted in agreement.

"Aye, I can break a skull with me bare hands, but I can't sneak fer shite. Tell ye what, maybe Tammy and I could make one hell of a distraction fer the next guards who come to the cells. You two can then knock them out and then we make a break for it."

Lanaai shook her head, already pulling the components she would need from the pouch on her hip. "It would be best if we were not seen at all. I can cast a spell that will make you quiet." She noticed Tamryn was unusually quiet and remembered that he'd always had a certain dislike of magic, especially magic that made him quieter. He'd just need to grin and bear it, which he was half doing already.

He quietly sidled up to her, expression nervous. "Are you sure Lanaai? Can't we just cause a distraction? It'd be so much fun, and so much easier?" He turned to Orisk with a pained expression and a hastily thrown on smile. "C'mon Orisk, don't you want to be big and loud and cause a distraction?

Orsik chuckled at Tamyrn. "Aye lad, nothin' would bring me more joy. But you should know ye can't win an argument with a Lady. If you've got the means to make me quiet lass, I'll accept it." Garret nodded his head in agreement. "You can save some materials Lanaai. You won't need to use magic on me. I still say we wait for the next patrol to come in, take them out, and then proceed." As if on time, a pair of guards came down and entered the hall of cells. They approached the cell door and entered. "Huh, guess the lock is getting old," said one guard. "We were told to seize the possessions of the elf. The rest of you need to back the hell up!" One guard unsheathed his sword while the other approached Lanaai. Orsik and Garret exchanged glances real quick before jumping into action. Orsik quickly jumped up and headbutt the armed guard, knocking him out while Garret came to the other from behind and choked him out. There wasn't too much made, so no guards came to investigate. Garret picked up the keys the guard had and look up at everyone. "We ready? Cast that spell whever Lanaai."

Lanaai nodded, murmuring the incantation. The spell made her fists glow with power, a power that was soon released into Tamryn and Orisk. They would find that no matter how hard they tried, they could make no sound. Unfortunately, it also made speaking far more difficult than it would normally be. Tamryn looked angered, but he grabbed the sword out of the nearest guards belt and rifled through their pockets, extracting a locket that he secured neatly around his neck.

He opened his mouth to make small talk, only to be muffled. He gestured to the hallway, mouthing the words 'this way'. It was the hallway he'd been dragged down when he was thrown in. He snuck down, hating the lack of sound even as it helped him. E was stealthy enough that he didn;t alert any guards, so he led the party down the hall, creeping closer and closer to the outside world.

Garret found himself chuckling at Orsik's silence. "What's the matter buddy, won't you speak up?" Whispered Garret. The dwarf responded with a smirk and his middle finger. Garret trusted Tamryn to know where he was going, as he and Orsik were knocked out before being put in their cell. Garret kept an eye out for any guards they might pass by. The others might be silent, but he didn't know if they were capable of a silent takedown. Garret whispered to Lanaai. "Does Tamryn know what he's doing?"

"Yes," She whispered, pulling Ki to her fingertips in case of an attack. The energy would allow her to move faster and hit harder. Tamryn looked concerned, but that seemed to be because of the spell she'd cast. Every so often he'd turn back and open his lips, as if he were going to speak to her, only to realize he couldn't due to the spell. He ran his fingers over his throat often, stopping only when he noticed someone else looking.

After several minutes of sneaking forward, they came across a room full of guards. They hadn't noticed anything yet, but that changed when Tamryn charged forward. He hit the first guard he saw over the head in a debilitating but non-fatal move. Lanaai groaned internally but used the pooled Ki to take down the next guard with a harsh chop to the neck, and then spun away to face her next opponent.

While Orsik was mostly focused on escaping, Garret kept taking mental notes about the two strangers. Lanaai was very calm, collected, and experienced. Meanwhile Tamryn seemed innocent, optimistic, and a bit reckless. It was strange to think they were friends, but it's not like he and Orsik are any more alike. On the topic of Tamryn being reckless, the man decided to charge a group of guards who were unaware. "The fuck are you doing Tamryn!?" While Garret was pissed, Orsik had a blissful grin on his face as he charged in after the Tamryn, taking out a guard by the knees. After Lanaai went in, Garret rolled his eyes and went for a guard who was focused on Orsik. The dwarf kept the guard's attention while Garret choked him out. Orsik then took the guard's sword while tossing the spare dagger to Garret.

A guard charged Tamryn but he easily dodged out of the way, pushing the man harshly into the wall. He seemed dazed so Tamryn smashed his head into the wall again, knocking him out. The next guard wouldn't go down so easily. He was an absolute brute, beastly and at least five hands bigger than Tamryn. Tamryn didn't even falter, he rushed the man with a sad look on his face, easily parrying clumsy blows and killing the man with a harsh slice to the neck.

Lanaai took down another guard with a barrage of punches and then stopped when she realized that Tamryn had taken out the two guards next to her. There were only five left. Four, she amended as she watched Tamryn take down the biggest one in the room. She rushed across the room, snapping the neck of the first guard she saw. Tamryn had let his sword sag to the side. She frowned. Tamryn was emotional, but he didn't let his emotions get in the way while fighting. When he saw her looking, he hefted his sword and slowly advanced forward.

Last edited:
Garret looked over at the moment Tamryn took out the brute. The guy had skills, but now there was blood on their hands. They needed to get out soon, or surely they'd be executed. Orsik decided he's had enough of the no kill rule and held back nothing on the remaining guards. Unknown to any of them however, one guard had taken out a crossbow, aiming for Tamryn. By the time Garret realized, it was nearly too late. The guard shot the bolt, but Garret rushed to Tamryn and caught it with his shoulder. With a grunt of pain, we whistled to Orsik who then took notice and charged the ranged guard, killing him as he reloaded. Afterwards, the guard ran over to check on his friend, hoping the two strangers had the rest covered.

Lanaai saw the arrow too late, and she knew Tamryn wouldn't notice. She tried to yell, only to see Garret take it in the shoulder. It went in deep, and she could tell that she and Tamryn would need to take down the last three. She dispatched another guard, signaling that Tamryn should go after the guard checking on his comrades. He did, knocking the man out by hitting him in the face with the butt of his sword. Lanaai hurried forward, knocking out the last guard with a kick to the face.

Tamryn had already run up to Garret, assessing the damage with a concerned look on his face. He opened his mouth to tell Garret that he would need to keep the bolt in his shoulder, only to have a quiet wheeze come out. He gave Lanaai an urgent look, and she released the spell with a muttered word. He immediately began talking. "You need to keep the bolt in your shoulder until we can get some bandages and stuff!" He might have spoken a little louder than he needed, just to assure himself that he could speak. He hoped no one would notice.

Garret glared at Tamryn with a bit of rage in his eyes. "This ain't the first arrow I've ever taken. What the hell were you thinking?! They hadn't seen us yet and...fuck this hurts!" He tried to keep as quiet as he could, and anger and pain made it difficult. Orsik shook his head and tried to keep Garret calm. Lanaai hadn't removed the spell from him yet, but he was okay with that. Garret gritted his teeth and spoke again. "Look, I'm sorry okay, but you have got to get your shit together! If anyone has bandages, then great. If not, then we need to get out of here as soon as possible." He got up on his feet and started walking, but the pain was getting to him. He couldn't utilize his arm very well, and that wasn't good for them. "Listen, Lanaai, do you have any spells that could stop the bleeding. Until this arrow comes out, I'm not much help."

"Sorry!" Tamryn whined, ripping strips of fabric from a dead guards cape to work as temporary bandages. "It's just that the door is through the hallway on the left and this is where all the guards sat. I had to hang around in here while they found the keys to the cell right after I got arrested." He busied himself, tangling a few bandages together before he eventually situated himself beside Garret. "Can I pull the arrow out of your arm? I know how to bandage it."

Lanaai looked around the room, searching for anything that may be useful and coming up empty. The guards had the standard equipment, which everyone had already collected, and there didn't appear to be any healing supplies. She sighed, wishing she could cast healing magic. Speaking of magic, she whispered the word that would release Orisk from the spell and answered Garret's question. "My skills lie in auditory and visual illusions," She explained, tone apologetic.

She inched towards the door. There was no point in her staying near Garret while she could sweep the hallway and doorway to the outside for guards. "I will explore the hall that should lead outside."

Last edited:
Garret nodded to Lanaai before looking back at Tamryn. He didn't like the idea of letting a stranger try to take an arrow out, especially since it didn't go clean through, but he has out of options. "Um...yeah sure. J-just let Orsik help you."

Orsik quickly jumped to action and began to hold open the wound, ignoring Garret's grunts of pain. He looked to Lanaai and smiled. "Aye lass, you go on ahead. We'll be with ye shortly!" Afterwards he turned to Tamryn and nodded. "Okay Tammy, let's get it done."

Back