Side Story The Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremi

The Convergence Series GM
In the royal palace of Wakanda, a meeting was going to take place with great import. One of many in fact spanning two universes coming together to plan a very important event.

The 2nd annual Multiversal Superhero Expo. The first one had ended in disaster as two of the universe's greatest foes unintentionally joined forces to cause destruction. Luckily the joined heroes managed to stop it but not before severe collateral damage had been caused.

However, neither universes wished this to deter this from stopping them from doing it again and even go bigger to invite other universes to join in. It would be bigger, it would be safer and it would cause more unity among the superhero community across the multiverse.

Enter ODMA. T’Challa himself had contacted them for help, being one of the liaisons from his universe after the Coalition ended. Not all had appreciated this, however, some had hoped to have worked internally to create the best and safest way to host the 2nd MSE and not have so much red tape. Most of them were familiar with multiversal travel already, why did they need someone to police them over that?

Committees had been formed and papers had been delivered on what could be done. Now in the throne room, a table had been set up with chairs and some refreshments. Everyone had been contacted through the superhero community to work on this on different levels. Not many heavy hitters had come to this particular one, however. This particular group felt like they had been delegated to the position.

That was perhaps why they were now waiting on the final member of the meeting. Soon the doors to the throne room were pushed open as the final member, and her plus two emerged.

Emma Frost of Krakoa was flanked by the blue-skinned Mystique and a tall armored woman unfamiliar to all the others at the table. If she was with Emma though she was definitely a mutant. Even so, no one else had brought an entourage and it was obvious to most at the table what this was.

A powerplay.

“So sorry I’m late,” She wasn’t. “But someone decided to close the front door on us so we had to take a long way around.” Emma sat down but the other two women continued to stand beside her. The tall masked woman, in particular, seemed quite menacing. Emma focused especially on T’Challa as she spoke next. “I hope you understand.”

He did and perhaps the king would have to contact Storm about this at some point. They had wished for a mutant presence on these committees, but T’Challa had hoped it hadn’t been this…confrontational. “I understand, and it’s alright, Ms. Frost. We were just getting started.” He motioned towards a folder in front of all of them. “We have been tasked to look through the dossier ODMA has provided us and try to figure out how we will accomplish what they have requested.”

“Paper?” Emma spoke again. “For a clandestine multiversal agency they are quite…” She picked up the dossier like it was a dirty dishrag. “Pedestrian.”

“A paper trail like this is easy to destroy. We, or ODMA for that matter, don't wish for any of this information to be leaked to those that would use it for evil. So, let us get started, shall we?”

@Ver @Atomic Knight

View attachment 9534

"Heh. Mission Impossible style, huh? I dig it," Luke Fox quipped, seated in another place at the table. Truth be told, Luke -- better known as Batwing among his peers -- was a bit out of his element, and he knew it, but after all, using humor to deflect one's own nerves was a rather common occurrence.

In many regards, he felt like a fish out of water. Despite his advanced intelligence, and the fair share of strange things his world had seen, Luke could still hardly believe he was in a true, honest to God, other universe. Sometimes he wondered what was stranger; the amazing new sights like the concept of mutants and such, or the fact that it was so similar to his own universe in many other ways. The more things changed, the more things stayed the same. Another thing, he figured that if anyone was going to represent his entire universe, it'd be one of the big shots from the Justice League, but as it turned out, they all had other prior engagements. Batman had enough influence to that end that he managed to pull some strings and elected Luke to represent them, if not on behalf of the whole universe, then on behalf of Batman Incorporated.

If this were anyone else, Luke might have guessed that there was some sort of sick joke in Luke being assigned to a meeting that took place in Africa, but the only real sick joke was that this wasn't even the first time Bruce had sent him off to assignment there.

With a soft cough, Luke moved on. "Anyway, I'm ready. What do they want from us?"

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

"We're doing the roll call?" The woman in green spoke up. "I guess that means the meeting's officially started."

ysTqJvu.png

"Figured I wasn't the only representative from my sector. Sojourn Muller of the Green Lantern Corps. Her as a representative of, well, the Green Lantern Corps. Like, a multiverse of them." Sojourn or Jo as she was also called looked around the room. This really felt like a bum rap as far as assignments went. Were all the "important" GLs too above it to attend.

"Charmed. Well I am Emma Frost, as you all should know." She motioned to her sides. "The lovely lady in blue is Mystique and this charming socialite is Bei of the Bloodmoon."

qMl5BqE.png

Bei gave the group a harsh glare while Mystique just looked bored as Emma continued. "We're here as representatives of Krakoa and mutantkind." With that it went over to the next one around the table a white haired woman dressed in green.

U8ohL3D.png

"Jennifer Morgan, and I don't quite know why I am here other than being summoned to do so. Representing magic, perhaps?"

@Ver @Atomic Knight

Kate Bishop's chair slammed down to the ground as the young woman moved forward rested her arms on the table in front of her. She had mostly been lost in her own thoughts up until now, leaning her chair back about as far as her amazing Hawkeye balance allowed her.

sBMeEKs.png

"I'm Hawkeye," she said, eyeing those at the meeting with a smile. "Or Kate Bishop, I guess." She was pretty pleased to be here, even if a part of her felt someone like America would probably have fit better at a superhero multiversal meeting. "Representing the West Coast Avengers. I'm the leader."

Across from Kate was a hulking green mass who appeared rather congenial despite his size. He gave the group a small wave with his big green hand.

rW72Gi9.png

"Bruce Banner," he said. He paused to adjust his glasses. "I, ah, represent my universe, as well as the Office for the Defense of Multiversal Assets. S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers of my universe happen to be allies of theirs."

"Nice glasses," Kate said.

Bruce raised his brow at the comment before he spoke again. "If I may, could you tell me about the first Multiversal Superhero Expo a bit? I'm afraid I don't really know a lot of the details."

@Jeremi @Ver

With them going a full round around the table it was the speakers turn. "I am T'Challa King of Wakanda. Or if you prefer Black Panther." That taken care of he now turned towards Banner. "An understandable question, I assume most of you understand the concept of an multiverse or the omniverse?"

"Yes," Emma remarked. "It's part of the itinerary of being a mutant at this point."

"Then I will just continue my tale. We decided to reach out to another universe entirely," T'Challa motioned towards Jo as he said that. "To come together and exchange ideas and to share simple camaraderie."

mIuDeL8.png

"Yeah it was nice," Jo remarked. "Right up until the point that shit hit the fan."

"Yes, the untimely arrival of Annihilus and Darkseid's forces left a lot of the hero community hurt and the area will take years to recover its splendor. We realized that both of our worlds will always be at risk for greater threats that we might not be able to overcome. Despite that we felt it was important to expand the idea and bring in more universes into the fold."

Not to mention the debauchery and other fun times that were had. I heard the poker game especially went off the rails. Banner could hear a voice inside his head and the coy smile Emma had on her face he could tell it must have been from her.

Banner was brought back as T'Challa tapped the file in front of him. "That is why we're here today. Through ODMA we have received a couple of choices to investigate and approve of. Worlds with superheroes whose threats are...not on the universal scale and are ready to be brought to the fold."​

@Ver @Atomic Knight

Bruce eyed Emma a moment, his mind reeling less from the information she conveyed and more from that she was able to infiltrate his mind at all. He made a mental note to guard his thoughts and not let his mind wander in this meeting.

T91mDsZ.png

"Honestly, it sounds like the natural conclusion for such an event," he eventually said, turning his gaze to T'Challa. "It's been observed that places where those across different universes gather tend to reach negative conclusions. While ODMA has given you an approved list of universes, I think that you maybe even should reconsider trying to do this a second time."

"Hmm." Leaning with her head in her hand, Kate thought this over. "Honestly, I can see his point. I didn't even attend the first once because I was so busy not with doing actual superhero work, but being pulled into Arcade's battle royale rip-off 2.0 that I think would have had the same conclusion as his first one if it had just involved our own universe."

Bruce looked sympathetic as he nodded at what Kate said. "Such events give certain uh, you know, individuals access to power we might not be able to deal with..."

Even as Bruce spoke, Kate continued talking in a smaller voice, mostly to herself. "And then, I came back to life because the the multiverse was reset or something? Like multiple times even? Probably had something to do with Chavez or Billy. Wow, I really have some powerful friends, huh..."

"... And as you continue to add universes, the chances of something going wrong just goes up exponentially," Bruce continued. "Could you tell me what he benefits of such a gathering?"

@Jeremi @Ver

View attachment 9546

"Oh, right. Introductions. I guess if everyone else is, may as well," the young man remarked. He was a bit apprehensive to give out his secret identity, even if it was supposed to be among friends, but hey, when in Rome. "Lucas Fox, friends call me Luke or Batwing, take your pick, representing Batman Incorporated, and uh..."

He gestured toward Jo. "I think we're from the same Earth. Right? I guess I'm representing that while you represent... the whole rest of space."

This had to be a bad first impression. He wished Barbara were here. Luke was never good at any of the formalities, but then again, he had to give himself enough credit that it was probably better him than Robin or Red Hood, at the very least, as out of his element as he continued to feel.

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

V1ax8Ts.png

"Space is way too big for just a little grunt like me," Jo replied to Luke."If they wanted someone with actual authority we'd have Superman sitting in this chair. So no offense, it kind of feels like we've caught a bum assignment."

"Oh I thought that was obvious," Emma spoke up. "They wouldn't let mutants sit in on the important meetings."

"So I'm just here because I didn't have any prior engagements?" Jennifer said looking a bit hurt.

Before it could continue further T'Challa spoke up with the authority of the king he was. "You are here because every voice matters. Right now there are multiple meetings going on looking through different files that ODMA has given us. We hold one of the more important assignments. Confirming the venue that has been set for us. If we don't agree on the choice there will be more planning to be had."

Then he turned to speak with Dr. Banner directly. "The official reason is for our different universes to come together and share our ideas and experiences with each other. Multiple universes mean threats that we have yet met but some day might. Imagine having the right tools for a threat you had no idea existed out there." T'Challa looked at the others. "That is why we have chosen to continue the expo. To cut the divide between superheroes and finding worthy allies."​

@Atomic Knight @Ver

View attachment 9594

"Wow, that's really good for my self-esteem. Thank you," Luke said dryly to Jo, though of course, he could see more than enough sense in her words. He could imagine Batman wasn't the type to feel like sitting around planning for this sort of committee, but now that he gave it more thought, someone like Nightwing probably would have been the first pick in that case, and maybe Barbara in second place. Oh, well. It is what it is, eh?

Still, it seemed that the good king had enough charisma to rein everyone in with a few words, as Luke quickly found himself nodding along to T'Challa's words. "More universes, more friends, more enemies. Makes sense. I know in the next universe over, they got their own League of Villains, but like, they keep getting beaten back by the world's own junior heroes. Can you believe it?" He said in an overly conversational manner, nudging Jo's side lightly with his arm.

It was like if the Teen Titans were able to take down Darkseid. What'd be the point of the adults at that point?

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

Banner cupped his chin in his hand and let out a long sigh as he thought. "For the record, I wholeheartedly understand and agree," he said at first. He eyed those around him. "And as I've already given you ODMA's stance on the matter, there's not much more to say about that, As long as you are not defying the directives and introducing individuals to the multiverse, ODMA can't officially tell you no."

"Hey, what was that about a Junior League of Villains?" Kate said, speaking up and eyeing Luke. "You mean like, teen bad guys?"

"No, I believe he implied that it was adults taken down by juniors," Bruce said.

Kate cocked her head to the side in confusion. "Juniors? Like babies?"

Bruce nodded eagerly, seeming to find the idea fascinating. "I'm sure super toddlers with adult intelligence do exist in some universes."

"Oh, shit... imagine a baby Hawkeye running around." Kate emphasized how shocking she found this idea by slapping on the table.

"Well, in our universe, the Hawkeye I know is an adult male."

Kate rolled her eyes and waved that idea off. "Don't worry, we got one of those."

Bruce cleared his throat at this. "I see... Anyway." He looked to T'Challa. "Venue. I don't know what you were thinking, but there are universes that already exist as nexus points. Those have potential to be more stable and easier to defend."

@Ver @Jeremi

“Obviously the thought crossed our mind,” T’Challa remarking to Banner with nexus hotspots. “But that is to an extent what our universe is to an extent, isn’t it? Trouble and disaster come hand in hand in these universes. Which is why we have suggested picking worlds far from them.”

Opening the folder the group could see information about a world that where the main point of interest was that the majority of the world had powers of some sort, but for some reason, the structure and level of threats were unusually small for something like this.

“What’s the catch,” Jo remarked putting down the folder. “This sounds way too good. No galaxy threats? No Darkseids?”

“No magic?” Jennifer asked now seeming even more confused by why she was here.

“No, and that is exactly why this was one of our venues,” T’Challa picked up the folder. “ODMA found out about this during some prior incidents. An All Might has been the go-between in the handling and it seems on paper positive.”

“Or is it more like we’re going to slum it in the boonies in hope of another disaster falling into our laps?” Emma seemed rather pleased in herself and finally, even Mystique gave the room a small smirk as T’Challa’s attention went to the White Queen.

“Obviously it can be interpreted as such, but this will be a positive experience for all involved.”

@Atomic Knight @Ver

"Oh, heh, I think this is the world I was just talking about," Luke chuckled somewhat sheepishly as T'Challa put forward the folder speaking of where the expo's venue would be now. Indeed, though Luke was not as deeply exposed to the grander elements of his world like Batman was, even the younger man couldn't deny that for a world full of superpowered beings, it seemed pretty small fry.

A world where the shtick seemed to be that there were only people with their equivalent of the meta-gene, or from the sensibilities of Emma and Mystique, the mutant gene. Seemed as safe as any other world, at least.

"It's a good pick, I suppose. Remote enough that our own villains hopefully won't try an' crash the party, and if the native villains try to play games, it doesn't seem like they'd be too hard to push back, unless there are other strong contenders on the table?"

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

“We have our greatest minds of science and magic,” T’Challa briefly turned to Jennifer to assure her that he meant her in that as well. “Building a system that will detect any wrongdoing and block participants not part of the guest list. We have thought long and hard about this. In addition, you are correct, Batwing. The native villains with our current system pose no real threat to the operations, as far as an incursion from foreign foes. I trust in ODMAs and our security that this information will not reach prying eyes.”

“Awfully confident and presumptions, king,” Jo remarked from her chair not sounding fully impressed by what T’Challa was sharing. “Great plans and all that, but even one mistake and your little plan falls wide open. You’re right that all of this sounds like a good plan, but it is a recipe for destruction if done wrong.”

“That is why Ms. Mullein. We are not going to do it wrong.”

@Atomic Knight @Ver

"Well, you know how it goes. If at first you don't succeed... uh, I actually don't know how that quote ends," Luke quipped, crossing his arms as he spoke. "Still, I guess the missus has a point. I should know; I trained under a guy who's cripplingly obsessed with his master plans, that maybe at least just one backup plan would be a good idea. You know how it is in our line of work. Work toward "A" happening, expect to get blindsided by "B" happening, and then "C" happens instead."

"But, well, not much we can do about unforeseen threats unfortunately. Worse case something does happen, we'll just have to roll with the punches and adapt, and I can imagine none of us are any stranger to that by now."

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

Jo gave Batwing an incredulous look at his remark. “The what now? Any time in the future you’re going to address me it’s going to be Green Lantern Corp member Sojourn Mueller. All of that or you’re going to get ignored. I don’t care if the bat-guy is footing your bill. You’re going to get a boot jammed so far up your ass you’re going to taste it.”

<” The woman has fire in her. I like it.”> The words that were spoken weren’t as much coming through vibrations in the air but rather seemed to shake inside your mind. Soon they realized that it had come from the large armored woman standing next to Ms. Frost.

“What was that?” Jennifer asked confused.

“That? That was Bei of the Bloodmoon speaking directly into your minds. She’s an…interesting individual don’t you think? Either way.” With a drop of the hat, Emma changed the subject. “I believe we’ve sat around long enough. I think it’s time for us to take a little visit to our planned venue, right? We all know all the chest-thumping that begins when a lot of heroes are gathered in one place after all.”

T’Challa’s eyes narrowed under the mask. “You are right, of course. I believe we have said most of what can be said.” On cue, a portal would emerge behind them. “Some ground rules before we travel through. We do not reveal our nature as visitors from another universe to anyone but our contact. We will be his guests so we follow his discretion and do not deviate away from the group.”

“Yes, teacher,” Emma replied rolling her eyes. “Shall we get on with it?”

After some hustling everyone was lead through the portal and on the other side they were met by the entrance to what seemed to be a school.

“A school?” Jennifer asked. “Forgive me but isn’t this location a bit too…open?”

“You’ll soon find out that why it is a good choice,” T’Challa replied back. “We just have to wait on our guide…it appears that he’s late.”

@Atomic Knight @Ver

"... Sheesh. And I thought we had a kinship developing," Luke could only say as Jo told him off pointedly. Guess it was high time to put a sock in it. Fortunately for the young man, the moment didn't last too long until it seemed that someone had telepathically spoken inside of everyone's minds, prompting Batwing to tilt his head curiously. Telepathic communication wasn't something he was exactly used to, not unless one counted the near constant communication link between himself and anyone on the other line while out on the field, but that was its own thing.

As the portal to the aforementioned venue materialized before all of them, Luke nodded attentively at T'Challa's instructions. Once he stepped through the portal, he furrowed his brow under his mask as he -- just like Jennifer -- felt a twinge of apprehension at the prospect of a school be chosen as the venue. Indeed, seemed like a weird spot to pick, unless it wasn't an ordinary school. Unless...

"Waaaait just a minute. Is this that world with the juniors and..." He trailed off, not wanting to give away their other-worldly natures too quickly as he put two and two together.

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

"I approve of those rules," Bruce had said with a big green smile before stepping into the portal. The school setting that waited them got a chuckle out of him but he otherwise said nothing for the moment.

"Should we be worried about something big and/or scary waiting for us?" Kate asked. She looked at the others for a moment and shrugged. "I mean, I was thinking we kind of stacked the deck when it comes to the people invited here. Seems a bit much for just a meeting."

@Jeremi @Ver

"You should see some of the other rosters," Jo remarked off hand to Kate as she proceeded to ignore Luke. "They brought everyone out for this. My guess it's so they can act like this is really important...which I mean I guess it is." She was interrupted by a new voice.

"Excuse me,"

"I take it you're the...guests?" The sickly man asked the group.

"That is correct," T'Challa remarked. "Are you our contact? By the description I was given I was expecting someone else."

The sickly man nodded slowly. "Understandable. I suppose you were expecting something more like-" A flash of light and suddenly in front of them stood a mountain of a man. "This!" He did a flex before he continued. "All-Might at your service! It will be a pleasure to show you around our fine school!"​

@Ver @Atomic Knight

"Oh Christ you can just do that. Okay. I guess Superman could use something like that... assuming he doesn't," Luke blinked underneath his mask as the sickly looking man suddenly morphed into a giant mass of muscle. Indeed, as his words lampshaded, the man announcing himself as All-Might reminded Luke of Superman.

Guess that could clue everyone in that this guy was the big cheese of this world as far as the heroes went, and indeed, just as T'Challa remarked, that meant this was definitely the guy.

"Anyway, uh..." Luke coughed. "Yeah, sure, if you want. Would love to take you up on that offer."

@Jeremi @Atomic Knight

"Great!" Before All Might could say anything else though he transformed back to his sickly form. "Just follow me to one of our break rooms..."

T'Challa nodded and motioned to the others to follow inside the school. They could notice as they continued down the hall that All Might was looking around nervously. "Scared that someone's going to catch us?" Jo remarked aloud to him.

"Not exactly. Just don't want any students snooping. They should all be doing some superhero practice but..." He trailed off as the turned a corner and then another before finally getting into what seemed to be a break room for the teachers. There was some cookies on a plate and a coffee dispenser on a table. "..." All Might awkwardly turned around and looked a bit embarrassed. "I figure most of you were probably expecting something else but."

"Don't worry about it," Emma spoke up with a smile. "It's all really...quaint, and nostalgic. I owned a school once actually and I can understand the problems of keeping it all a float." She took a seat at the edge of the table with Mystique and Bei once again flanking her, making so that the others had to go around the other way to fill the table.

@Ver @Atomic Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back